Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi Bruce,

Sorry, I am back again this year to make rediculous requests for improvements to DD. As you know, I love DD. In the last 4 years in my main money league DD has helped me to 4 straight years of playoffs (only top 4 of 12 teams go), 3 Super bowls, and 2 Super bowl wins.

So the suggestions ...

I do this one every year, but, here it is again. I have a problem with the ADP.csv files. They are too generic to be accurrate. If I have a two QB league, or a league without defenses, they can really effect dropoff calculations. My workaround for this is updating the ADP.csv file every time it is released. But if you could add an import feature ... like import "user ADP data" .... My mock drafts with "draft other teams by ADP" would be much more accurate ..

The differrence in the "user ADP data" is that it has NO player names, only positions and draft spots. example, QB1 = 9, QB2 = 17, etc. When loaded it merges with the existing ADP.CSV file to create a file specific to my leagues ADP.

Hopefully I started with an easy one ... I am going to take another look at how I used the custom dropoff last year. I was really happy with the results but it was bit labor intensive.

Would it be easier to setup and maintain the file, if it was in the format ADP, Position? Like this:

1, RB

2, RB

3, RB

4, RB

5, RB

6, WR

7, RB

8, RB

9, QB

10, RB

11, WR

12, WR

etc.

This way you don't have to worry about changing the Position and Number if you insert a player, for example if you wanted to insert another RB right before RB10, you would have to renumber all the RBs after RB10.

Along this same argument, In the above format, we could do without the numbers in the first column too... just a long list of positions...

Just thinking out loud here, but one potential downfall here is that, without the player names, you lose the ability to tell if you can wait a round or two on a player or not. For example, if the DD has Ron Dayne slated to go in the first two rounds, but his ADP is 4.06, you could probably wait on him. If we just use positions, without names, then you could possibly burn a second round pick on him.

Would it be easier to setup and maintain the file, if it was in the format ADP, Position?  Like this:

1, RB

2, RB

3, RB

4, RB

5, RB

6, WR

7, RB

8, RB

9, QB

10, RB

11, WR

12, WR

etc.

This way you don't have to worry about changing the Position and Number if you insert a player, for example if you wanted to insert another RB right before RB10, you would have to renumber all the RBs after RB10. 

Along this same argument, In the above format, we could do without the numbers in the first column too... just a long list of positions...

Just thinking out loud here, but one potential downfall here is that, without the player names, you lose the ability to tell if you can wait a round or two on a player or not.  For example, if the DD has Ron Dayne slated to go in the first two rounds, but his ADP is 4.06, you could probably wait on him.  If we just use positions, without names, then you could possibly burn a second round pick on him.

Since i would only be creating the file once a year (based on my league past drafts) that would be a super simple format.

per your last point, once imported it must be merged to create the actual ADP.csv file with names. Let me see if i can explain it better using Dayne as an example.

If Dayne's ADP from the shipped adp file is 4.06 (#42 overall, and lets say the #25RB) But the DD has him as the #15RB.

Now in my league lets say the #25 RB is always drafted in Round 6 (#75 overall)

so I have a user ADP file that is

RB

RB

WR

RB (line 75 so RB is #75 overall)

The shipped ADP.CSV is used for the names and popularity of the player. When merged with the USER ADP file, Dayne becomes the #75 overall and an ADP of 6.03

So DD still shows Dayne as a second round pick, but my ADP has moved him even lower, so I can wait on him longer. The end result is still an ADP.CSV file with names and a draft slot.

Another hypothetical example.

Shipped ADP.CSV file only has three players ADP in this order ..

Larry Johnson, RB, 1

Peyton Manning, QB, 2

Chad Hohnson, WR, 3

But my league is odd and and we start 3 QB's and 8 WR and give them 500 pts per TD. So my USER ADP is

QB

WR

RB

The merged new ADP.CSV once my USER ADP is "imported" or "merged" would look like

Peyton Manning, QB, 1

Chad Johnson, WR, 2

Larry Johnson, RB, 3

On the merging part...

Does it make more sense to apply the User ADP to the DD's rankings or the Shipped ADP rankings?

I'm thinking it makes more sense to apply them to DD's rankings, since it is based on your league variables and scoring system.

For example if the Shipped ADP is based on 0 pts per reception, Fitz would be rated a little lower than if it was based on 1 pt per reception.

Of course if I apply it to the DD's rankings, the Mock Drafts are going to be pretty boring, because it will just pick the players in order...

Well the DD rankings already take my league scoring into account, and rank them based on who should be taken when and where. But ADP tells me more where my competition will be taking those players. The DD rankings are doing their job just fine. It is really only the ADP that needs to be adjusted for odd or unique league settings.

Ok, I have something for you to try then. Shoot me an email, and I'll send you the files to try.

Can I get in on this as well? I've been modifying my adp.csv file both last year and this year to reflect my league's pattern of drafting. This seems exactly what I need to save me a lot of work.

RR

Ok, I have something for you to try then.  Shoot me an email, and I'll send you the files to try.

Can I get in on this as well? I've been modifying my adp.csv file both last year and this year to reflect my league's pattern of drafting. This seems exactly what I need to save me a lot of work.

RR

This is going to be in the next release (version 7.0b), which should be released this week sometime. If you need it before then, drop me an email.

Ok, I have something for you to try then.  Shoot me an email, and I'll send you the files to try.

RR

This is going to be in the next release (version 7.0b), which should be released this week sometime. If you need it before then, drop me an email.

Excellent! I've updated my adp manually, so I will be good until then.

Thanks,

RR

Whoohoo ! Next version you say??? Anon and I have been waiting (and #####ing) for this for a while now. I do as he, make one master file of how my league drafts and then manually assign players (I've already done it once this year, but need to tweak.) And in the past it HAS been a real pain, especially when I do a few mocks and need to tweak it a bit (looking at mocks brings out the 'faults' in my position ADP projections ;-)

Yep. My 3-year subscription is looking more and more like a no-brainer. Now if you could start working on a 'consistency' program.... ;-) I know, I know. They're figured in the projections.

On the merging part...

Does it make more sense to apply the User ADP to the DD's rankings or the Shipped ADP rankings?

I'm thinking it makes more sense to apply them to DD's rankings, since it is based on your league variables and scoring system.

For example if the Shipped ADP is based on 0 pts per reception, Fitz would be rated a little lower than if it was based on 1 pt per reception.

Of course if I apply it to the DD's rankings, the Mock Drafts are going to be pretty boring, because it will just pick the players in order...

But if you make the ADP based on DD, I'd lose the ability to see where the value is and where to 'wait' on players!!! And yes, I WOULD like to see ADP files based on several scenarios (TD ONLY league here!) but PLEASE do NOT make them fit the DD rankings, else I'd not be able to use the ADPs to find value! To me, the ADPs are just that.... AVERAGE drafts, and as such I don't think they need to be super accurate as every draft has some (many?!) 'questionable' picks. However, the POSITION ADPs have history to them (I have at least 5 years to back up when positions are taken in my league, and they do NOT match the DDs, that's the whole point... making them match MY league.) The ADPs of the REAL players need to stay seperate from the DD rankings for them to be useful at all.

Its applied to the shipped ADP, not the DD Rankings.

Good ! Any chance you'll give a couple options for shipped ADPs (performance vs basic based player ADPs) down the road? Just asking as I'm in a very basic league and only some in my league actually check how our league scoring affects the rankings. I'm still trying to figure out which magazines are being used by my league members as I think at least in my case, they mimick my league player rankings better (though for the vast majority, I concede this might not be the case.)

Also, any chance you might consider putting the shipped ADP file 'on steroids' with a program similar to the PD? I'm thinking a user customizable 'program' where you use the most popular magazine rankings and allow us to 'customize' the ADP inputs. I realize you probably wouldn't /couldn't identify the magazines by name, but I think we could probably figure that out with a quick 'browse' through the newstand. :-) Or you could offer a couple mock draft 'options' based on scoring (basic vs performace etc.) I'm aware that you currently use the mock drafts for this. In my case, since the scoring system is so much different, I'm thinking magazine rankings might work a bit better for me. Really, I'm not sure how close these really need to be anyway. But an additional tool to consider none-the-less.

Its applied to the shipped ADP, not the DD Rankings.

Good ! Any chance you'll give a couple options for shipped ADPs (performance vs basic based player ADPs) down the road? Just asking as I'm in a very basic league and only some in my league actually check how our league scoring affects the rankings. I'm still trying to figure out which magazines are being used by my league members as I think at least in my case, they mimick my league player rankings better (though for the vast majority, I concede this might not be the case.)

Also, any chance you might consider putting the shipped ADP file 'on steroids' with a program similar to the PD? I'm thinking a user customizable 'program' where you use the most popular magazine rankings and allow us to 'customize' the ADP inputs. I realize you probably wouldn't /couldn't identify the magazines by name, but I think we could probably figure that out with a quick 'browse' through the newstand. :-) Or you could offer a couple mock draft 'options' based on scoring (basic vs performace etc.) I'm aware that you currently use the mock drafts for this. In my case, since the scoring system is so much different, I'm thinking magazine rankings might work a bit better for me. Really, I'm not sure how close these really need to be anyway. But an additional tool to consider none-the-less.

This would be very cool. I too need a basic ADP.

I think (okay, I know) I'm doing something wrong. I created a adp_user.csv with my projected 17 rounds of picks. DD imports it, ranks Antonio Gates 1.01, clears ADP for all other players. The dropoffs stay at 15 RBs and 1 TE and never change, unless I take Gates, then the dropoffs go to 16 RBs. My csv file has RB,RB,RB,RB,RB,RB,RB,RB,QB,RB,WR,RB,QB,RB,QB..... so there should be QB/WR dropoffs before Team 1's next pick, and TE doesn't show up until round 4 (8 team draft), so I can't see what's special about him. I've tried having the positions all on one line, or each on their own line. Can anyone who's made this work describe what your adp_user.csv file looks like? TIA.

in Notepad it looks like this ..

RB

RB

RB

RB

RB

RB

QB

RB

QB

RB

RB

RB

WR

RB

WR

RB

QB

WR

RB

WR

RB

RB

RB

WR

QB

RB

WR

WR

RB

WR

RB

WR

RB

QB

WR

TE

I export the ADP list from Antsports. When I get everything set up and into Notepad, I then have to change Antsports DE (defense) to The DD Def for each defensive team in order to make it show up on the DD. I'm I doing this right?

I export the ADP list from Antsports. When I get everything set up and into Notepad, I then have to change Antsports DE (defense) to The DD Def for each defensive team in order to make it show up on the DD. I'm I doing this right?

Yep, the DD wants DEF.

Bruce, I'm guessing you know this stuff better than me but it seems that better ADP info is the next frontier in strengthening this software.

Multiple "default" ADP options would be a powerful tool. Anything else that can make customizing ADP easier would also be great (though the current system is pretty simple/effective).

Anyway, just wanted to voice my thoughts on where the next big steps will be.

Does the ADP in DD adjust for anything other than # of teams in the league? For example, is Gates' ADP based on a league that starts a TE, or one where TEs are grouped with WRs, or does it depend on my settings?

OK, I'm feeling dumber than usual, because this is just not working right. I have the AntSports ADP data. I'm taking the position column only and saving as adp_user.csv. I'm importing into DD. In my case, the purpose is to roll TEs in with WRs. My adp_user.csv file looks like this:RBRBRBRBRBRBRBQBRBRBRBWRWRRBIn my adp_user.csv file, the first TE is #45. After the import, however, Gates' ADP actually went up, from 3.07 to 3.05. :wall: Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I am also having trouble with the user file - again. I use Antsports ADP so I copied all the positions to a note pad file. Then I saved as ADP_User.cvs in the DD directory. When I import the user file as an example Bush is 3:8 in DD but should be 2:10. Dayne if off by 2 rounds. This is just some examples. When I open up the user file in the main DD directory the notepad list is the same as I saved. It just does not seem to be going to the DD for some reason. What am I doing wrong.

OK, I'm feeling dumber than usual, because this is just not working right. I have the AntSports ADP data. I'm taking the position column only and saving as adp_user.csv. I'm importing into DD. In my case, the purpose is to roll TEs in with WRs. My adp_user.csv file looks like this:RBRBRBRBRBRBRBQBRBRBRBWRWRRBIn my adp_user.csv file, the first TE is #45. After the import, however, Gates' ADP actually went up, from 3.07 to 3.05. :wall: Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?
If you set TE = 0, then the TEs are getting lumped in with the WR... this makes the WR and TE interchangable in the ADP_USER.csv file. So Gates must be ranked pretty high among WRs too.

I am also having trouble with the user file - again. I use Antsports ADP so I copied all the positions to a note pad file. Then I saved as ADP_User.cvs in the DD directory. When I import the user file as an example Bush is 3:8 in DD but should be 2:10. Dayne if off by 2 rounds. This is just some examples. When I open up the user file in the main DD directory the notepad list is the same as I saved. It just does not seem to be going to the DD for some reason. What am I doing wrong.

The ADP_User file doesn't distinguish tweak individual players... When you put RB, RB, WR... it just takes the highest ranked RB based on your scoring, and gives it 1.01. It then takes the next highest ranked RB based on your scoring and sets it to 1.02. Likewise, in this example the top WR would be 1.03.If you want to tweak individual player ADPs... then you need to tweak the ADP.csv file. This is considerably more work... because you typically have to renumber all the players.

If you want to tweak individual player ADPs... then you need to tweak the ADP.csv file. This is considerably more work... because you typically have to renumber all the players.

I might add that if you use your own ADP_user.csv file, it is much easier to change the ranking of the ADP.csv file than before (but still some work). See my post under "Player.dat file" I have done one (offense only with TE and WR lumped together) using the "Average Magazine Ranking" as a basis. Thinking about doing one for ESPN mag, but doubt I get the time.

The ADP is based on most standard leagues which start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2-3 WRs, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 Def.

How many teams, and how deep?I'm looking for a way to modify ADP for my league. We start 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 DST. BUT... we only have 6 bench spots, for 14 players total on 12 teams. 168 players total. ADP ceases to be useful after a handful of rounds. By the second half of the draft, players that would be considered a "reach" are flying off the boards. There's no way Bulger lasts till the 6th, or Plummer and Green till the late 8th, by ADP only a couple of DSTs and Ks will be chosen. It's like an accordion squeezing together, the first few rounds are OK, the last couple make sense, but the middle is all squashed. Everyone has 2 QBs by the end of the 10th, instead of 14th. WR depth is non-existent... the standard roster is 2 QBs, 4 RBs, 4 WRs, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DST, and one extra non-kicker spot, usually a QB, RB, WR, sometimes a TE or DST. I expect about 50 RBs, 50 WRs, 24 QBs, 16 TEs, 12 Ks, 16 DSTs to be selected. Should I try making my own user_adp.csv file? Or does anyone have any suggestions on where I can find ADP info online?Does anyone have a resource for where I could find ADP data on small-roster leagues?

Is there a way to import the ADP list from here: http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2006/06dodds_adp.php to the DD? The current one is out of date (see Mike Bell)?

To tailor the ADP of my league I create this user file and then upload it. It will reflect both my leagues tendancies and the current ADP of the player correct (ie RB21 on ADP will be slotted into the 21st RB taken from my user file)?

Help!

We start our draft at 1 pm tomorrow (Thu.)

I am changing jobs, and haven't had time to devote my normal 80 man-hours to draft prep.

I sit down tonight to change the adp.csv file the way I always have, and it's not working. What I do is take the adp file, sort by position and then adp rank within position, then move the data over a column, and then copy into the "e" column (where the adps are) my leagues actual average adp for, say, the 8th ranked RB.

Then I resort back to the normal format (position, then alpha within position).

I also saved this file as adp_user.csv.

But when I try to import it, I get "dashes" for ADPs.

So I seem unable, using my old system, to create "real league ADPs" now. Please help me quick!

Jeff

The problems may be related to the fact that we do a 16 round draft, with 2 QBs, 2 TEs, 2 DTs, 2 PKs, 4 RBs, and 4 WRs. The ADP file that "comes with" DD is lacking two DTs and two PKs of having 192 players in those categories.

I don't know if adding two of each, and assigning 9999 (which is what I did last year) to all the other players would solve the problem.

If so, I don't know "how to add" two additional PKs and DTs to the file.

Any help or thoughts?

I added two DTs and PKs and it still didn't work.

The ADP file is totally different than last year. Last year there were tons of superfluous players... I had 9999s out the wazoo, plus all the different IDP positions. This year the ADP file is spartan, with very few superfluous players. But it doesn't work. Help! This is the one thing I have the time to do this year, to get DD ready for the draft, and it's just set up differently and now I'm up against the wall.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Well, it seems just not to like the file named adp_user.csv. When I rename my league drafting propensity ADPs as adp.csv, and then import that as adp, it seems to work.

I'd love to be able to toggle between them during the draft, but my own league's propensities is what I really need and I seem to have that now.

Sounds like you got it working, but I think you assummed that the adp_user.csv is a replacement for the adp.csv. It isn't. The adp_user.csv is only a list that defines how your league drafts positions. So if the first 3 picks in your league always draft QB, RB, QR. Your adp.csv is three lines(or rows) long.

QB

RB

WR

From within DD, when you import adp_user.csv, it takes the #1 QB in the adp.csv and changes his adp to "1", the first RB to "2" and the first WR to "3".

If instead, you grab the adp.csv, and sort it, and put the numbers in yourself, like you have done every year, then save it as adp.csv in the DD folder and import adp.csv. You should end up with the same results.

The adp_user.csv is just a shortcut in applying your own league tendencies "over" the shipped adp.csv file. So that after each upgrade with a new adp, you can just reapply the adp_user.csv. Even though the players change, the #x QB would still have the ADP.

THANKS!

That makes sense - would have saved me a little sorting time and "how does this work again" thought.

Well, I ended up with what I wanted, but next year will try to remember I don't have to do this.

Jeff

I am trying to get his going, but it puts T.O. at 1.12 everytime! And he is ranked WR12. What gives? Why does it think TO is drafted as the first WR? Why not put chad there?

My adp_user.csv looks like:

RB

RB

RB

RB

RB

RB

QB

RB

RB

RB

WR

WR

RB

RB

RB

RB

RB

RB

RB

RB

WR

RB

RB

I have a keeper list, and did an original import from VBD for notes...

I am trying to get his going, but it puts T.O. at 1.12 everytime! And he is ranked WR12. What gives? Why does it think TO is drafted as the first WR? Why not put chad there?My adp_user.csv looks like:RBRBRBRBRBRBQBRBRBRBWRWRRBRBRBRBRBRBRBRBWRRBRBI have a keeper list, and did an original import from VBD for notes...

I would guess you haven't updated your projections in a couple of weeks. Downlaod the latest DD and try again.

I am trying to get his going, but it puts T.O. at 1.12 everytime! And he is ranked WR12. What gives? Why does it think TO is drafted as the first WR? Why not put chad there?

It doesn't matter where TO is ranked, it mattters what his ADP is. ADP_USER takes the generic ADP (TO will be WR1, Chad will be WR2, Gates will be TE1, etc.) and moves the people around according to your list. Since your ADP_USER, for example has a QB 7th overall, ADP's QB1 will be 1.07. Since that's Peyton Manning, he's listed as 1.07, even if this season you have projected someone else (Brady, Palmer, or whoever) to outscore him. Based on ADP, he's 1.07, this is an ADP rank list and not a VBD or projections-based rank list.So since WR1 is 1.12, the WR being drafted WR1 is at 1.12. At the time your ADP was generated, that might have been TO.

ok, I misunderstood. I thought it was VBD Value in my custom ADP rank. Rather it is generic ADP placed inside my ADP rank.

As generic ADP order within a position is constant regardless of scoring system, this is how it works right?

Yes, under most cases. I like to think of ADP as made up of two parts. The first is player popularity, How they are ranked against each other within a position. The Second, is where a particular position will be drafted.

In this case the adp.csv is being used for player popularity. The adp_user.csv is being used for draft position.

Note, that the shipped adp.csv is a reasonable indication of player popularity. However, PPR leagues, or no TE leagues, or other non-typical scoring systems could make the shipped adp.csv less accurate. In which case you may consider having to alter the adp.csv file itself.

Yes, under most cases. I like to think of ADP as made up of two parts. The first is player popularity, How they are ranked against each other within a position. The Second, is where a particular position will be drafted.In this case the adp.csv is being used for player popularity. The adp_user.csv is being used for draft position.Note, that the shipped adp.csv is a reasonable indication of player popularity. However, PPR leagues, or no TE leagues, or other non-typical scoring systems could make the shipped adp.csv less accurate. In which case you may consider having to alter the adp.csv file itself.

Or if you have "inside info" on your league. My league's in its third year, and sure enough, it held pretty close to my adjusted ADP--I knew someone would pick a kicker waaay to early (on auto-pilot), that 3 defenses would be gone in round 6, that runs on certain positions would happen at certain times, and my ADP_USER helped a lot with that.

Or if you have "inside info" on your league. My league's in its third year, and sure enough, it held pretty close to my adjusted ADP--I knew someone would pick a kicker waaay to early (on auto-pilot), that 3 defenses would be gone in round 6, that runs on certain positions would happen at certain times, and my ADP_USER helped a lot with that.

I have 5 years of owner tendencies and while my user_adp listing wasn't exact, it did MUCH better than the 'canned' position ADP. For the 'player' adp.csv file to work better I need more information as to who in my league uses which site or magazine. Problem is this changes from year to year. I have pretty much figured out who the real sharks are but how to mix the shark adp and the guppy adp to get a correct player adp file may be asking too much. I think there has been discussion of a program to help in this regard. Perhaps it could allow designating certain owners as guppies and others as sharks, using a seperate player adp list for each for drafting purposes, a kind of 'dynamic' adp within the DD. Seperate columns in the player pool to reflect 'shark', 'guppy', and 'combined', with the combined being a 'dynamic' with a 'look ahead' type feature. Whooo!!! I like that idea! There were only a few 'shockers' this year and those were players taken so early as to be bad picks (much higher projection numbers available).

I was VERY happy with the help the DD gave me this year. Really, the first year I thought it made a real difference to me. I knew when I was taking a chance waiting on a player and when I wasn't. I know it was working as I had a couple that I missed by ONE pick, and the DD told me the round before it would be quite risky. I was able to see who would be available as an alternative, and sure enough they were available. Cool.

Glad to see you guys are digging the ADP_USER stuff.Special thanks to Anon for suggesting this and being the initial guinea pig on this.

Oh yeah. You guys saved me a TON of manipulation and Excel work this year! I would like an easier way to change the 'player' ADP file though. A seperate little program to 'tinker' using online rankings, magazine rankings, and/or combos would be nice. If you wanted to go hog wild, you could even add a couple colums to the player pool window for ADP geek, ADP guppy (see my other post). Get slick and allow us to input which teams in our league are 'guppy' and which are 'sharks', and use seperate player ADP files for each category while doing mock drafts. But at a minimum, I'd like to see you change the player pool so that we can click on the column headers to 'sort' for ADP, VBD, rank, etc. ? That way, I could switch between DD rankings (for sharks) and ADP for 'guppies' without hunting up and down the ADP column while mocking (or a real draft for that matter.) Still, MUCH easier to 'tweak' for me this year. THANKS !

Yes, under most cases. I like to think of ADP as made up of two parts. The first is player popularity, How they are ranked against each other within a position. The Second, is where a particular position will be drafted.In this case the adp.csv is being used for player popularity. The adp_user.csv is being used for draft position.Note, that the shipped adp.csv is a reasonable indication of player popularity. However, PPR leagues, or no TE leagues, or other non-typical scoring systems could make the shipped adp.csv less accurate. In which case you may consider having to alter the adp.csv file itself.

Bruce,I finally have enough data to do my own ADP's and using the draft log I was easily able to get everything in the correct format's. As this is my first time using ADP_USER I have two questions:1) Travis Henry is projected to have 223 points but his ADP is 2.04. Reggie Bush is projected to have 215 points but his ADP is 2.01. Am I correct to assume it's because it's matching my ADP's with the DD ADP's in the order they are listed in the adp.csv file and not with the actual rankings?2) I'm in 3 leagues. It appears as though the adp's stick once they are imported. To have the most up to date projections and ADP's when I switch between a league where I do have a customized adp and one where I don't I need to: Get latest projections (to import latest ADP). I can save the adp to something like adp80807.csv Import projections into and from PD Import ADP_User To switch to the non ADP_USER league, I then save the adp80807.csv as ADP.csv and re-import adp.csv and I should be good.Is all of that correct?Thanks,Joel