Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yes, under most cases. I like to think of ADP as made up of two parts. The first is player popularity, How they are ranked against each other within a position. The Second, is where a particular position will be drafted.In this case the adp.csv is being used for player popularity. The adp_user.csv is being used for draft position.Note, that the shipped adp.csv is a reasonable indication of player popularity. However, PPR leagues, or no TE leagues, or other non-typical scoring systems could make the shipped adp.csv less accurate. In which case you may consider having to alter the adp.csv file itself.

Bruce,I finally have enough data to do my own ADP's and using the draft log I was easily able to get everything in the correct format's. As this is my first time using ADP_USER I have two questions:1) Travis Henry is projected to have 223 points but his ADP is 2.04. Reggie Bush is projected to have 215 points but his ADP is 2.01. Am I correct to assume it's because it's matching my ADP's with the DD ADP's in the order they are listed in the adp.csv file and not with the actual rankings?2) I'm in 3 leagues. It appears as though the adp's stick once they are imported. To have the most up to date projections and ADP's when I switch between a league where I do have a customized adp and one where I don't I need to: Get latest projections (to import latest ADP). I can save the adp to something like adp80807.csv Import projections into and from PD Import ADP_User To switch to the non ADP_USER league, I then save the adp80807.csv as ADP.csv and re-import adp.csv and I should be good.Is all of that correct?Thanks,Joel
You forgot the eye of newt! :goodposting:

What's the best way for me to go about taking the ADP results from AntSports and getting them into the correct format for an ADP_user file? I've been looking for format information/instructions but can't find it.

... BTW, I'm assuming the shipped ADP info is not based on PPR, which my league is, so that's why I even want to go through the excercise...

What's the best way for me to go about taking the ADP results from AntSports and getting them into the correct format for an ADP_user file? I've been looking for format information/instructions but can't find it.

... BTW, I'm assuming the shipped ADP info is not based on PPR, which my league is, so that's why I even want to go through the excercise...

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...howtopic=163033

One tip: your transfer of the Ants values will go smoother if you 1) exclude the column titles from your selection, and 2) "paste special":text into Excel.

I export the ADP list from Antsports. When I get everything set up and into Notepad, I then have to change Antsports DE (defense) to The DD Def for each defensive team in order to make it show up on the DD. I'm I doing this right?

Yep, the DD wants DEF.
Strictly speaking, the DD does NOT want "DEF", but rather "Def" (without quotes, of course).Just in case I am not the only one who has come up against this.

Bruce & Co:

I've been looking for this info, but I'm giving up & just asking the question - the DD now has ADP data from 5 different sources built into the file. Is the DD averaging these together to generate the ADP, and/or can you set it to use one particular set of the 5? Just want to understand how the data is/can be used.

TIA

Bruce & Co: I've been looking for this info, but I'm giving up & just asking the question - the DD now has ADP data from 5 different sources built into the file. Is the DD averaging these together to generate the ADP, and/or can you set it to use one particular set of the 5? Just want to understand how the data is/can be used.TIA

Under Setup>Team Names you can pick what the type of ADP list you want each team to use for Mock drafting.Joel

Bruce & Co: I've been looking for this info, but I'm giving up & just asking the question - the DD now has ADP data from 5 different sources built into the file. Is the DD averaging these together to generate the ADP, and/or can you set it to use one particular set of the 5? Just want to understand how the data is/can be used.TIA

Under Setup>Team Names you can pick what the type of ADP list you want each team to use for Mock drafting.Joel
What is the "default" that the DD uses for the ADP info it shows in the player pool?

What is the "default" that the DD uses for the ADP info it shows in the player pool?
Expert. There was another thread here somewhere discussing the origin of the expert ADP.Joel

I've read every thread on ADP & DD. I think I have a good understanding of how to import my own adp user files, etc.

However as some have mentioned I'd like to change the player pool/roster displayed ADP in my DD too from expert to a more ppr based one (i.e. antsports hp scoring).

I think I have a way but wanted to run it by Bruce to see if I'll screw up something else.

1. Copy/paste your ADP data into excel. In this case I used Antsports hp recent (1 ppr). As others have noted paste special text usually helps.

2. Save your adp.csv file as "adp_original.csv" or something so you have a clean version of the oringal should you wish to go back.

3. Using lookup functions create a new column in the adp.csv file with the apd#'s. You usually have to manually review/edit a few of them (i.e. Adrian Peterson, Barber iii, Defences).

4. From trial and error I've noted that this new column on the far right side of my adp.csv file (adp_ppr) does not get recognized or imported when I File > Imoprt > ADP. However I've found an easy fix that will import these values and show them on the main player pool, etc.

5. Either move your column to "E" i.e. 5th column or overwrite the adp_expert data. I recommend inserting a column so you don't lose the 'expert' #'s. Your 'ppr' adps should now be the first #'s as you read accross.

6. Now when you File>Import>ADP DD will update with the first column 'ppr' #'s. The program must not actually match up with the label at the top but just look for the first column to update the player pool.

7. I haven't played with the other team mock settings for adp so be careful. I'm pretty sure that if you select say 'mfl' on the setup screen for other team adp that you'll actually be getting the program to use 'mock draft central' etc. i.e. one column over and 'magazine' drops off n/a.

BRUCE please review the above. If my leageus are all ppr is there any problems with doing it this way? Also would the process have to be repeated with every DD update?

It looks ok to me. Yep, every time you do a Get Latest Projections... or install a new DD, you will need to re-import your ADP.csv file.

You shouldn't have to rebuild it each time... make a copy of yours and call it something like ADP_PPR.csv. Then after an update, copy it back to adp.csv and import it.

I have no idea how this adp_user.csv works can someone explain

Do I just create a spreadsheet with my league's ADP

RB

RB

RB

etc

I am not sure how we customize this

Thanks

I have no idea how this adp_user.csv works can someone explain

Do I just create a spreadsheet with my league's ADP

RB

RB

RB

etc

I am not sure how we customize this

Thanks

Start here. You need to get all of your data into a format where you can use it. Then put the positions taken into the draft order for this year in one column of Excel, saved as a .csv.

It's actually quite easy once you get it setup.

Joel

Ok I tried the adp_user method but something is not right. It imported successfully, but when I look at my player pool, the individual positions are not showing the ADP in order of the position rank. Is it not supposed to be?

Also, I only listed the 1st 8 rounds in my adp_user file, would this pose a problem?

Ok I tried the adp_user method but something is not right. It imported successfully, but when I look at my player pool, the individual positions are not showing the ADP in order of the position rank. Is it not supposed to be?Also, I only listed the 1st 8 rounds in my adp_user file, would this pose a problem?

I myself always get confused, but ADP isn't necessarily based on position rank - it's where he's targeted to be drafted (that's why it's Average Draft Position).Looking at the current DD rankings and generic ADP, Westbrook is the 4th rated RB, but he has an ADP of 1.03 -- but S. Jackson is the 3rd ranked RB and has an ADP of 1.04 -- meanwhile M. Jones-Drew is the 8th ranked RB and has a ADP of 3.01.All your Custom ADP_USER does is determine which positions are taken at each point in your draft. For example, if in an average league 3 QB's are taken in the first two rounds, but in your league, the 2nd QB isn't taken until the 3rd round, your custom ADP_USER will account for that and adjust the ADP correspondingly -- using this example - it will move the RB's normally behind the 2 QB's up two positions - so MJD would now have an ADP of 2.11.Your top rated RB will still be RB1, your top QB, QB1, etc...If you only put in ADP_USER for the first 8 rounds, I believe you will only see an ADP for the top 96 positions in your file.Good luck.

Then I am confused as to the benefit of using adp_user. I thought this would display new ADP values based on how you input data into adp_user.csv.

If the ADP is still displayed the same way before I imported adp_user, what is the point?

Then I am confused as to the benefit of using adp_user. I thought this would display new ADP values based on how you input data into adp_user.csv.

If the ADP is still displayed the same way before I imported adp_user, what is the point?

The custom file affects only when the player positions come off the board (to more closely match how your league historically drafts by position, (some leagues value QBs, WRs, etc. earlier than others). The individual player rankings ("Expert", "ESPN", "CBS", etc. that you check for each owner) follow these position rankings. This was necessary because you couldn't predict the drop off very accurately if the DD figured 7 WR would be taken between rounds and only 2 historically were taken in your league. Yes, the custom drop downs could be used instead, but you'd quickly drown in trying to keep up with changes. The custom drop off tab is implemented because actual drafts never follow your predictions exactly and so customizing on the fly helps keep the mental gymnastics down a bit. So the more accurate the position rankings are to the draft, the less you need to adjust using the drop downs.

Maybe you are getting confused because of the ADP ranking shown in Player Pool of the DD ? If so, I believe that is based on an 'average player ranking in a 'normal' draft. The custom ADP file doesn't affect it (at least I don't think it does). So if you see that you can normally wait until two rounds later to pick a player up based on that ranking, you can choose a different player knowing the first one should be available based on how many RBs, etc. will go between your picks. That is the power of the DD, to allow you to maximize your value picks (double dipping as it were :-)

Thanks, I get it now. I thought the adp_user over rode the ADP rankings. I think this file should be renamed since it doesn't have anything to do with ADP! It's more of a custom dropoff calculator for DD.

Thanks, I get it now. I thought the adp_user over rode the ADP rankings. I think this file should be renamed since it doesn't have anything to do with ADP! It's more of a custom dropoff calculator for DD.

Hopefully I'm not telling you wrong about the player pool. I know the Pos ranking is how the DD ranks the players by position and I'm pretty sure the ADP listed there is how the consensus ranking says the players will go off the board. I'm NOT sure if that uses our own ADP_User file or not. I think it actually does, but most importantly it tells you if you can wait to get a particular player later on or not. I STILL wish that ADP column in particular was sortable so we could easily count up how many players should go before our targeted player. Right now you have to mentally sort them (and hopefully not mis-count!).

I myself always get confused, but ADP isn't necessarily based on position rank - it's where he's targeted to be drafted (that's why it's Average Draft Position).Looking at the current DD rankings and generic ADP, Westbrook is the 4th rated RB, but he has an ADP of 1.03 -- but S. Jackson is the 3rd ranked RB and has an ADP of 1.04 -- meanwhile M. Jones-Drew is the 8th ranked RB and has a ADP of 3.01.All your Custom ADP_USER does is determine which positions are taken at each point in your draft. For example, if in an average league 3 QB's are taken in the first two rounds, but in your league, the 2nd QB isn't taken until the 3rd round, your custom ADP_USER will account for that and adjust the ADP correspondingly -- using this example - it will move the RB's normally behind the 2 QB's up two positions - so MJD would now have an ADP of 2.11.Your top rated RB will still be RB1, your top QB, QB1, etc...If you only put in ADP_USER for the first 8 rounds, I believe you will only see an ADP for the top 96 positions in your file.Good luck.

Im new to DD and I have a fair understanding of using the User_ADP file. But I have one question.. Lets say I have a ADP_user file made with the past 2 yrs history. During the LIVE draft should I use (check/turn on) "Draft other teams by ADP"? for the entire draft?

Generally, yes leave it on. When "draft other teams by ADP" is ON, when it comes to your pick the dropoff/DVBD calculations will be based on your adp_user.csv file. You can however, switch back and forth to get an alternative view of curent value of players, just realize that with it off, the Dropoff/DVBD calculations will be based on VBD rankings in the player pool.

Sorry for my ignorance but I am having trouble getting the ADP_User.csv file to work correctly along with the "My Team Mock Draft" functionality. From reading many posts on the forums, my understanding is that if I import my ADP_User.csv file into DD, when I run a "My TEam Mock Draft," the players should be taken in the order that I set them in the ADP_User.csv file. So my file reads:

RB

WR

RB

RB

RB

QB

RB

When I run "My Team Mock Draft," - with my pick being #2 - shouldn't the first pick be a RB? When I run it, the first pick is a WR. What am I doing wrong? I have imported the ADP_User.csv file and have the "Draft Other Teams by ADP" checked in the Setup window. My league is a keeper league so I am not sure if that matters.

Thanks for your patience with this fairly simple question in advance.

Sorry for my ignorance but I am having trouble getting the ADP_User.csv file to work correctly along with the "My Team Mock Draft" functionality. From reading many posts on the forums, my understanding is that if I import my ADP_User.csv file into DD, when I run a "My TEam Mock Draft," the players should be taken in the order that I set them in the ADP_User.csv file. So my file reads:RBWRRBRBRBQBRB...When I run "My Team Mock Draft," - with my pick being #2 - shouldn't the first pick be a RB? When I run it, the first pick is a WR. What am I doing wrong? I have imported the ADP_User.csv file and have the "Draft Other Teams by ADP" checked in the Setup window. My league is a keeper league so I am not sure if that matters.Thanks for your patience with this fairly simple question in advance.

Are all the other owners set to 'expert'?

Wouldn't it be nice if DD had an export for past drafts? I have several years of drafts using DD, and a simple export option to create the ADP info would help make this even easier. Another nice option would be to import/average ADP info from several years drafts. If DD could automatically detect tendencies from specific users - even better. Not asking for much here :shrug:

Sorry for my ignorance but I am having trouble getting the ADP_User.csv file to work correctly along with the "My Team Mock Draft" functionality. From reading many posts on the forums, my understanding is that if I import my ADP_User.csv file into DD, when I run a "My TEam Mock Draft," the players should be taken in the order that I set them in the ADP_User.csv file. So my file reads:RBWRRBRBRBQBRB...When I run "My Team Mock Draft," - with my pick being #2 - shouldn't the first pick be a RB? When I run it, the first pick is a WR. What am I doing wrong? I have imported the ADP_User.csv file and have the "Draft Other Teams by ADP" checked in the Setup window. My league is a keeper league so I am not sure if that matters.Thanks for your patience with this fairly simple question in advance.

Hi again GoBears84! You always have such great suggestions and insights. Very much appreciated. Your note above reminded me that each owner should be set to "Expert" to get a good "my team mock draft" with "draft other teams by adp" checked, and using an ADP_User … I think…I always want to change some of my owners to “consensus” or “magazine average” to shake up my mock drafts…but now that I see your note, I think I remember that it’s gotta be set for “expert” or it doesn’t work quite right if you’re using an ADP_User - correct?It sure seems like this little "nugget" should be in the "setup/team names" area, maybe in the "ADP List for Mocks" it should have something like "Note: set to expert for your mock drafts using ADP_User"?Thoughts?

GoBears - thanks for the quick response,Yes, they are all set to Expert. "Draft Other Teams by ADP" is checked. ADP_User.csv is imported. I still get a WR taken as the first pick even though ADP_User has a RB taken first.

Wouldn't it be nice if DD had an export for past drafts? I have several years of drafts using DD, and a simple export option to create the ADP info would help make this even easier. Another nice option would be to import/average ADP info from several years drafts. If DD could automatically detect tendencies from specific users - even better. Not asking for much here :thumbup:

AbidingDude,

It's not automatic - it takes a little work - but there are some spreadsheets in the forums to help with this. Here is an example.

GoBears - thanks for the quick response,Yes, they are all set to Expert. "Draft Other Teams by ADP" is checked. ADP_User.csv is imported. I still get a WR taken as the first pick even though ADP_User has a RB taken first.
GoBears,I think I have found part of the problem. I am in a keeper league that takes away a draft spot for the round they were drafted. So Chris Johnson was drafted in 2008 in Round 11. That guy now has to give up a 6th round pick if he wants to keep him. So I put my keepers in allowing for Chris Johnson to be a keeper in Round 6. But I think that is screwing up my mock drafting. When the MyMock runs, it wants to take a RB because that is the first position in my ADP_User. But the #1 rated RB (according to the adp.csv) file is taken. So MyMock moves on to the next highest rated player which is Andre Johnson, even though he is not a RB. Is that the way it should work? I want a RB drafted in the first slot no matter what. Shouldn't it take the next available RB?

What is the ADP listing in the player pool based on? Is it just a generic ADP list? My league is PPR and I want to make sure I am looking at an ADP for a PPR league.

Bruce, how are keepers treated with the ADP_User file? We have 3 rounds of keepers which are all assigned as pick 0.00 in DD.

Will it account for the fact that those players are already taken or will it just ignore the keepers?

What would be an awesome ADP addon would be taking MFL history into account for ADP. I have several years of MFL history and I know that certain teams go heavy on RBs and others on QBs. These are things that I know, but the software doesn't and it becomes less useful to me for draft advice than for organization and projections.

I'd really love to have a good way to input this per-team draft style in, or some kind of kludgy import from past years of MFL.

Quick question about the user_adp file (I have looked through all the threads but I may have skipped over this if it was explained previously). I took the last 5 years of my draft, averaged the draft positions and made the file in Rb, Rb, Rb, Qb....... form and imported it.

Now when I look at the player pool some players are not in the ADP order. For instance Ryan Grant shows up as having an ADP of 1.10 yet he is the 15 RB. Is this because the import of the user_adp file just takes the order of players in the "generic" adp file and resorts them based on the new list of positions?? So in other drafts he was the 10th RB off the board, but using the DD projections he drops to 15th.

A similar thing happens with the QBs. P Manning is QB4 in the player pool but gets a higher ADP then Romo, who is QB3. I assume this is because in the generic adp Manning is going as the 3rd Qb so he gets that position then Romo.

Quick question about the user_adp file (I have looked through all the threads but I may have skipped over this if it was explained previously). I took the last 5 years of my draft, averaged the draft positions and made the file in Rb, Rb, Rb, Qb....... form and imported it.Now when I look at the player pool some players are not in the ADP order. For instance Ryan Grant shows up as having an ADP of 1.10 yet he is the 15 RB. Is this because the import of the user_adp file just takes the order of players in the "generic" adp file and resorts them based on the new list of positions?? So in other drafts he was the 10th RB off the board, but using the DD projections he drops to 15th.A similar thing happens with the QBs. P Manning is QB4 in the player pool but gets a higher ADP then Romo, who is QB3. I assume this is because in the generic adp Manning is going as the 3rd Qb so he gets that position then Romo.

It will depend on which ADP you have selected. Peyton might be QB4, but if by ADP he's picked before Romo (which is what I've observed in 2 drafts) then he'll have the higher ADP.

Any chance utilizing ADP_USER will work on the Mac DD software? I don't see anywhere in the software to import this. Thanks.

Any chance utilizing ADP_USER will work on the Mac DD software? I don't see anywhere in the software to import this. Thanks.

The Mac version doesn't have the ability to import the ADP_USER yet. It does have the normal adp.csv file in the home/FBG/DraftDominator folder. You could edit that file with an Excel like application or a text editor and set your own ADP. If you do this, make a copy of it, because every time you do a Get Latest Projections, it is going to overwrite it with the ADP from our website. Then after updating, just copy it back to adp.csv.

Anyone have a handy way of taking MFL data --> ADP_user data?

I've done some of the reading, but can't seem to find a fast way to generate what I'm looking for to create the ADP_User.

And then there's the key question of what method / formula you use to convert the positional ADP over the years into a single rank for the coming season. I've got all the data around, but no real wise method on the usage.

Bonus question: is there something similar that can be used to calculate average dollars spent per position for auction leagues?