Bruce Henderson

Projections Dominator - Master Thread

155 posts in this topic

when's the next release?

when's the next release?

Should be in the next day or two. You can get the latest projections though, by just doing a File -> Get Latest Projections.

when's the next release?

Should be in the next day or two. You can get the latest projections though, by just doing a File -> Get Latest Projections.

thanks, but i'm looking more for the features/changes

e.g., will Mike Furrey be listed as a Detroit Lion now instead of a FA?

thanks Bruce

Hi Bruce, first I would like to say great job with the DD & PD this year. I love many of the features, especially the fact that I have the projections of 5+ experts I can use.

But I have found a problem with setting the weights for all players (all QBs, RBs, WRs, & TEs). I am trying to set the weights to Dodds 20%, Henry 15, Smith 15, Tremblay 15, Wood 15, and user 20 and it is not taking my requested change. Just upgraded to the 1.1d version.

Thanks,

Dino

Hi Bruce, first I would like to say great job with the DD & PD this year. I love many of the features, especially the fact that I have the projections of 5+ experts I can use.But I have found a problem with setting the weights for all players (all QBs, RBs, WRs, & TEs). I am trying to set the weights to Dodds 20%, Henry 15, Smith 15, Tremblay 15, Wood 15, and user 20 and it is not taking my requested change. Just upgraded to the 1.1d version.Thanks,Dino

If the user weight is anything but zero... it will not change the User Projections. This is by design, so your User Projections do not get overwritten.The way the Projections Dominator was designed to be used... was to weight the experts the way you want to give you a starting set of User Projections. Then you make tweaks to the user projections to come up with your own set of projections... and then import these into the Draft Dominator.To overwrite the User Weight, you can check the Overwrite User Weight box on the Set Weights screen. But again it will only apply the expert weights.If you really want to weight in your own projections along with the experts... then I'd take over one of the year stats file. For example copy the dodds file to the 2003 stats file, then make your changes in notepad or excel. To open the file in excel, you need to use notepad and change the uppercase ID on line 1, to a lowercase id.

So can you tell the last time each expert updated the projections? Just thinking this might help w/ regards to how high you weight each (or if you use them at all).

btw, DD and PD are both incredible tools.

-Bill (5 year retuning member).

So can you tell the last time each expert updated the projections? Just thinking this might help w/ regards to how high you weight each (or if you use them at all).btw, DD and PD are both incredible tools.-Bill (5 year retuning member).

The guys all submit a full projections list on Monday night. The Projections are then released on Tuesday. They do make minor tweaks throughout the week.

I'm sure all you staff experts have been keeping score as to who did the best job of prognosticating over the past few years. Can you share the results with us? If I'm going to use weights, I'd like to know who to favor.

Thanks!

I'm sure all you staff experts have been keeping score as to who did the best job of prognosticating over the past few years. Can you share the results with us? If I'm going to use weights, I'd like to know who to favor.

Thanks!

Actually, this is the first year that a couple of them have made their projections public. So it might be a year or two before we get this kind of history. See this thread for a little background on the guys: Experts Background

Is there any way to import other projections? For example the Kubiak projects from FO?

Is there any way to import other projections? For example the Kubiak projects from FO?

For these, just edit the projections. Click File -> Setup -> Projections and enter the Projections from the desired Face-offs.

For these, just edit the projections. Click File -> Setup -> Projections and enter the Projections from the desired Face-offs.
That's what I was afraid the response was going to be. As a future suggestion it would be nice if we could format external projects to be imported by the tool. Thanks for the quick reply.

That's what I was afraid the response was going to be. As a future suggestion it would be nice if we could format external projects to be imported by the tool. Thanks for the quick reply.
If you copy/paste the projections into the VBD Spreadsheet... you can then import it.

I am getting an "Error reading Draft Data - File not found" message when I try to launch PD, try to re-open an existing PD file and when trying to import PD into DD.

I am current on both apps' versisons.

Help?

I am getting an "Error reading Draft Data - File not found" message when I try to launch PD, try to re-open an existing PD file and when trying to import PD into DD.I am current on both apps' versisons.Help?

It sounds like the PD file got hosed somehow. Try deleting the ProjectionsDominator.ini file. This will let you launch PD. Then create your projections again... and click File Save As... and give it a new name.

Is there going to be new projections today or tomorrow morning??

Probably not... unless there is a key injury in the preseason games.

But to be safe... click File -> Get Latest Projections to get the latest.

Do the user entered data get deleted when downloading the updates from the website?

I don't want to wait until the last minute to add my stats, but I don't want old projections either.

Thanks

Do the user entered data get deleted when downloading the updates from the website?I don't want to wait until the last minute to add my stats, but I don't want old projections either.Thanks

When you say user entered data, are you talking about your league variables and scoring system? or your tweak user projections? In both cases they are retained on updates.

Do the user entered data get deleted when downloading the updates from the website?I don't want to wait until the last minute to add my stats, but I don't want old projections either.Thanks

When you say user entered data, are you talking about your league variables and scoring system? or your tweak user projections? In both cases they are retained on updates.
I was talking about the user entered stat. Thanks for your help :D

The user entered projections that have a user weight greater than zero, will not get overwritten. By default when you edit the user projections line, the user weight jumps to 100% to protect the changes.

I open DD while on my wife's username to help her with her league.

When I went back to my username and tried to open DD for one of my teams, I get; Run-time error '52' Bad file name or number.

The first time this happened, I just downloaded DD again from the website and it opened fine. Now that it has happened a second time in one day, I am not wanting to download the program everytime I get this error. Any help?

Next time this happens... Try this: Exit the DD, delete the DraftDominator.ini file and restart the DD.

Let me know if this takes care of it.

My guess is it is trying to open your wife's league since it was the last one opened... but the path has either changed... or you do not have access rights to your wife's file.

How do I delete the .ini file?

How do I delete the .ini file?

With the Windows Explorer or My Computer... browse to the C:\Program Files\ProjectionsDominator subdirectory... and delete the ProjectionsDominator.ini file (Right Click and selecting delete is probably this easiest way). Make sure you get the ini file and not the exe file. You can click Tool -> Folder Options -> View, and uncheck the Hide Extensions for Known File Types to see the extensions.

I tried running DD on TWO of the computers at work (both running WinXP Pro fully updated) and it crashes as soon as it opens. won't even let me select anything... any clues? :wall:

Nevermind. I set the ShowSplash=no in the mask.ini and that seemed to fix it.....

Edited by Fink

Okay, so I am not feeling like a college :grad: here, but I enabled the viewing of hidden files. I went to Program Files > DraftDominator and here is a list of the files:

DD_NewFAQ_files (folder), VBD Revisited_files (folder), adp & adp_ip (excel), Auction (DAT), DD_NewFAQ (word), DepthCharts (DAT), DraftDominator (Compiled HTML), DraftDominator (Application), DraftDominator (Config), Mask (Config), NFLSchedule (DAT), PlayerNotes (DAT), Players (DAT), Players (Text Doc.), projfordd.php (PHP), Readme (Text Doc.), SOS (DAT), Tick TimeCountDown TimeExpired TimeWarning Touchdown (Wave), unins000 (DAT), unins000 (Application), VBD Revisited (HTM), Whistle (Wave).

Sheesh, that was more trouble than what it is worth. Anyhoo, no .ini file. Li'l help?

DraftDominator (Config) is the ini file. It wasn't hidden files we wanted to select... it was turning off the Hide Extensions for Know File Types. You might have to select to List the files by Details to see the extensions too.

When I click Click File -> Print -> Cheatsheets. the pages come out blank?

any help?

When I click Click File -> Print -> Cheatsheets. the pages come out blank?any help?

:cry: Nothing but nothing.

You need a Default Printer defined in windows. This is a Windows Restriction, so that the DD know how to format the page.

From Windows click Start -> Control Panel -> Printers and add a printer and make it the default.

Bruce,

Will we be able to use the PD for the TD and the LD?

Joel

There is no plans to update the PD during the regular season.

A couple of the PD experts will be busy keeping the LD current. Dodds will do the weekly projections and Henry will do the forward projections for the offense. Norton will do both for the IDP guys.

There is no plans to update the PD during the regular season.A couple of the PD experts will be busy keeping the LD current. Dodds will do the weekly projections and Henry will do the forward projections for the offense. Norton will do both for the IDP guys.

Too bad -- While I always place a high value on Dodds' projections, having the input from a few experts is always good.Maybe next year :) Joel

I have trouble setting the flex numbers. I have a league that starts the following:

QB - 1

RB - 2

Pk - 1

Def - 1

four flex for a total of nine starters.

Max RB = 4

Max WR = 4

Max TE = 4

SO, it could be RB - WR - TE

4-2-0

4-1-1

4-0-2

3-3-0

3-2-1

3-1-2

3-0-3

2-4-0

2-3-1

2-2-2

2-1-3

2-0-4

Can't figure out how to set the flex.

Thanks for any help you can provide

I'd be tempted to set it up as:

RB=2, WR=2, TE=0, and Flex = 2.

This will combine TEs with WRs... Thus simplifiying the calculations... Worst case, I can't envision starting more than 2 TEs... I also can't envision starting less than 2 RBs and 2 WRs...

Thanks!

Actually, this is the first year that a couple of them have made their projections public. So it might be a year or two before we get this kind of history. See this thread for a little background on the guys: Experts Background
Bruce,

Now that we are in year 2, do we have results from last year that we can use for helping us weight this year for importing into 8.0b?

Thanks,

Joel

I'm not really sure how to quantify the projections against year end stats and to grade them accordingly. I'm open for suggestions though.