What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Should MLB do away with the intentional walk? (1 Viewer)

Should taking a walk be optional?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Warhogs

Footballguy
I was cleaning the kitchen this morning and this just popped in my head. Why does MLB require a player to go to first base after 4 balls? Why is this not optional? Should a sport have rules that in essence can take the bat out of their best hitters hands? Why should you not have the option to go to first before any pitch after ball four?

I hope this has not been discussed before. This just seems like a crazy rule to me.

I think that they should take away the whole throwing the pitches that lead to an intentional walk. If you want to intentionally walk someone... the pitcher should just say "Yo Blue....INTENTIONAL WALK"!!!!!!! But to do away with the walk altogether is just crazy talk.....

I did not say do away with it I said make it the batter's option.

Think 9th inning down 3-2. You have Pujols batting with two out and runners on 2nd and 3rd. Why should he have to take that intentional walk and not have a chance to get the game winning hit?

There is no way to get rid of the intentional walk. If they got rid of it, the pitcher would just throw four balls way off the plate, making it an intentional unintentional walk. It's not like you can force a pitcher to throw hittable pitches to a batter.

Besides, Rolen has been great protection for Pujols this year. Following a IW to Pujols, Rolen is 4 for 8 with 6 RBI's this year. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I voted to leave it in. When used properly it can be an effective tool. In using the example Warhogs posted, what if it was 2nd and 3rd with only 1 out. The batter could be almost anyone (probably not a pitcher, but the pitcher most likely be batting in that situation) and you would want to walk them to set up a double play and at least a force out at any base. Now I agree that an intentional walk of any hitter in the first 5 innings or so is rediculous.

There is no way to get rid of the intentional walk. If they got rid of it, the pitcher would just throw four balls way off the plate, making it an intentional unintentional walk. It's not like you can force a pitcher to throw hittable pitches to a batter.
Exactly. Was this topic really thought through before posting? Honestly.

I think that they should take away the whole throwing the pitches that lead to an intentional walk. If you want to intentionally walk someone... the pitcher should just say "Yo Blue....INTENTIONAL WALK"!!!!!!! But to do away with the walk altogether is just crazy talk.....
Even that is part of the game though. On multiple occasions, I've seen the pitcher throw a wild pitch during an IBB. Back in the early 80's, I also saw Bruce Benedict throw a guy out who was trying to steal on a lazily thrown IBB pitch.

Exactly. Was this topic really thought through before posting? Honestly.
It could not have been.

I think the premise is that a batter would have the option to stay at-bat no matter the number of balls. The batter would make the pitcher throw to him even if the count was like 7 balls zero strikes.

I don't think this would help speed up the game. (Something baseball desperately need to do.)

Think 9th inning down 3-2. You have Pujols batting with two out and runners on 2nd and 3rd. Why should he have to take that intentional walk and not have a chance to get the game winning hit?
You would be giving too much control to the offense. The walk( in the scenario above) can be used as an effctie defensive weapon; much like it would be used with runners on 2nd and 3rd with one out. Doing away with the walk would be in alot of ways like doing away with the offenses option to punt the ball in football.

I think the premise is that a batter would have the option to stay at-bat no matter the number of balls. The batter would make the pitcher throw to him even if the count was like 7 balls zero strikes.

I don't think this would help speed up the game. (Something baseball desperately need to do.)
Not to mention the fact that pitchers could easily end up throwing fifty or sixty pitches an inning.Stellar idea.

I think the premise is that a batter would have the option to stay at-bat no matter the number of balls.  The batter would make the pitcher throw to him even if the count was like 7 balls zero strikes. 

I don't think this would help speed up the game.  (Something baseball desperately need to do.)
Not to mention the fact that pitchers could easily end up throwing fifty or sixty pitches an inning.Stellar idea.
Or it would just force them to put it over the plate more.

They do that anyway. It's called BP.

Kelly Leek would have never had the chance to tie the game had he been given a free trip to first base. Make 'em throw four wide ones.

My dad never understood this either. IBB pissed him off to no end. "Aww just go down to first base, quit standing there looking like an idiot!" He always wanted the next batter to knock it out of the park, even if he was rooting against that team.

There's too much that can happen to skip throwing those four pitches -- wild pitch, stolen base, caught stealing, etc.

I think the premise is that a batter would have the option to stay at-bat no matter the number of balls.  The batter would make the pitcher throw to him even if the count was like 7 balls zero strikes. 

I don't think this would help speed up the game.  (Something baseball desperately need to do.)
They do that anyway. It's called BP.
I wasn't aware that in BP they were throwing the ball nearly as hard or with a variety of pitches as they do in a game.

Kelly Leek would have never had the chance to tie the game had he been given a free trip to first base. Make 'em throw four wide ones.

My dad never understood this either. IBB pissed him off to no end. "Aww just go down to first base, quit standing there looking like an idiot!" He always wanted the next batter to knock it out of the park, even if he was rooting against that team.

There's too much that can happen to skip throwing those four pitches -- wild pitch, stolen base, caught stealing, etc.
Thats what I figured anyone for the 4 pitches would argue.For the one time that may happen every decade I could do away with it.

Thats what I figured anyone for the 4 pitches would argue.For the one time that may happen every decade I could do away with it.
Guess you're in favor of the DH as well, considering a pitcher gets a hit once a decade. :rolleyes:

Thats what I figured anyone for the 4 pitches would argue.

For the one time that may happen every decade I could do away with it.
Guess you're in favor of the DH as well, considering a pitcher gets a hit once a decade. :rolleyes:
Apples to oranges IMO, butYea, I am actually

Id like to see it in the NL as well.

Just don't care to see a lifetime .135 hitter at the plate.

100 years ago when pitchers were encouraged to hit, steal, dive and took batting practice etc...

Then I wouldn't care, but I don't wanna see a player take a few swings looking like he's having a seizure at the plate.

I am probably in the minority on the DL thought, but it's just my opinion.

I know baseball would loose some of the purist fans by doing this, but baseball needs to change with the times.

One of the smaller reasons I think football is so successful, is due to the fact that they adapt.

Whether it’s rule changes or making the game more entertaining.

The “casual” fan thinks baseball is boring.

Sports look to bring in the casual fan more so now than ever, MLB changing some rules would IMO do that.

The DH would allow many more players to extend there careers, and provide more offense, properly.

Not by juicing the ball, making mini stadiums, turning their heads to players on performance enhancing drugs…

I do like the intrigue in how the 2 leagues are different, but it's not a real level playing field.

Then let's get rid of all weak hitters, and have nine DHs. No more career .235 catchers. Oh the hell with it, let's just use robots. Then we can also get rid of all the fielders but the pitcher, because with a jetpack, he can cover the entire field by himself! Expect lots of 0-0 games tho, because pitcher will cancel out batter since they're both perfect. Then we can incorporate soccer rules, and settle the game with a homerun derby!! Woo hoo!

1) Batters would basically sit back and wait forever for their pitch. Many times I see batters swing at pitches that weren't really strikes just to get a chance to swing the bat rather than walk.

2) Starting pitchers would be lucky to get through 4 innings. This could double their pitch count in a heartbeat.

3) This would limit strategy in terms of setting up double plays, working around hitters, and would eliminate matchups (lefty pitcher walks right handed batter to pitch to a left handed batter).

4) Teams facing exceeding difficult pitchers could refuse walks to get the pitcher out of the game sooner.

5) Pitchers with control problems might as well call it a career, as batters would make them throw strikes.

And after the pitcher throws 127 balls to Pujols because he refuses to give him anything to hit what happens? Great way to kill interest in the game.

Think 9th inning down 3-2.  You have Pujols batting with two out and runners on 2nd and 3rd.  Why should he have to take that intentional walk and not have a chance to get the game winning hit?
And after the pitcher throws 127 balls to Pujols because he refuses to give him anything to hit what happens? Great way to kill interest in the game.
I think after the 12th or 13th ball, the pitcher would just fire one at his head.The game just got a lot more interesting.

Then let's get rid of all weak hitters, and have nine DHs. No more career .235 catchers. Oh the hell with it, let's just use robots. Then we can also get rid of all the fielders but the pitcher, because with a jetpack, he can cover the entire field by himself! Expect lots of 0-0 games tho, because pitcher will cancel out batter since they're both perfect. Then we can incorporate soccer rules, and settle the game with a homerun derby!! Woo hoo!
lolThis is more like apples to grapes.

Come on, pitchers have to wear a jakcet to run the bases???

A jacket???

It's like playing in a coed softball game, and the one girl is the only one who can steal.

I wonder what the outcome would be, if you polled pitchers on whether or not they would prefer DH in the AL and NL.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread warhogs

Yeah, because that's what we need, more offense.

Tell Pujols to become a better base stealer.

Yeah, because that's what we need, more offense.
I thought this was America buddy. Land of the free and home of running up the score.

No, it's strategic more than anything.

Need to come up with a bat extender. Not everyone is as gifted as Migy Cabrera.

I've always wondered why batters don't crowd the plate to either possibly take a cut at a mistake pitch not far enough off the plate or make the pitcher throw one too wide. Batter just accept it for some reason.

Then let's get rid of all weak hitters, and have nine DHs. No more career .235 catchers.
:goodposting: This would provide more jobs due to expanded rosters. Also let players come in and out of the game due to the situation. You could use one pitcher for the first 2 outs and another for all the 3rd outs.

In other words make it more like football. :thumbup:

Need to come up with a bat extender. Not everyone is as gifted as Migy Cabrera.

I've always wondered why batters don't crowd the plate to either possibly take a cut at a mistake pitch not far enough off the plate or make the pitcher throw one too wide. Batter just accept it for some reason.
Probably because they have a good chance of getting an out if they take a hack at it and they don't like the idea of having to explain why they declined the free ride in favor of an out.

Thats what I figured anyone for the 4 pitches would argue.

For the one time that may happen every decade I could do away with it.
Apples to oranges IMO, butYea, I am actually

Id like to see it in the NL as well.

100 years ago when pitchers were encouraged to hit, steal, dive and took batting practice etc...

Then I wouldn't care, but I don't wanna see a player take a few swings looking like he's having a seizure at the plate.

I am probably in the minority on the DL thought, but it's just my opinion.

I know baseball would loose some of the purist fans by doing this, but baseball needs to change with the times.

One of the smaller reasons I think football is so successful, is due to the fact that they adapt.

Whether it’s rule changes or making the game more entertaining.

The “casual” fan thinks baseball is boring.

Sports look to bring in the casual fan more so now than ever, MLB changing some rules would IMO do that.

The DH would allow many more players to extend there careers, and provide more offense, properly.

Not by juicing the ball, making mini stadiums, turning their heads to players on performance enhancing drugs…

I do like the intrigue in how the 2 leagues are different, but it's not a real level playing field.
I think it's time for both leagues to use the same rules. I'd rather if it was no DH, but that won't happen. The union will simply never allow 14 players to lose their jobs. Think about that - we have the rule for 14 out of 700 players in MLB. What would the NFL or NBA be like if the conferences used different rules? No 3-point shot in the Western Conference of the NBA. Three downs instead of 4 in the AFC. That's really what we have in baseball.

Anyhow, one league = one set of rules.

lolThis is more like apples to grapes.

Come on, pitchers have to wear a jakcet to run the bases???

A jacket???

It's like playing in a coed softball game, and the one girl is the only one who can steal.

I wonder what the outcome would be, if you polled pitchers on whether or not they would prefer DH in the AL and NL.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread warhogs
Pitchers don't have to wear a jacket on the basepaths, most just want to do so to keep the arm warm...

Need to come up with a bat extender.  Not everyone is as gifted as Migy Cabrera. 

I've always wondered why batters don't crowd the plate to either possibly take a cut at a mistake pitch not far enough off the plate or make the pitcher throw one too wide.  Batter just accept it for some reason.
Probably because they have a good chance of getting an out if they take a hack at it and they don't like the idea of having to explain why they declined the free ride in favor of an out.
I understand that, but I'm saying if you stand 1 or 2 feet closer to the plate (some of these guys look like they are miles off the plate, while some look close), then maybe you can capitalize on a mistake.

Users who are viewing this thread