What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Atlanta Braves are smokin' hot (1 Viewer)

Weapon of Mass Instruction

Watch my feet!
It seems they always have a good second half, coming on strong at/after the break. Just how much ground do you think they can make up? Any chance at the wildcard?

Honestly, some pretty week teams between them and the top -- they could potentially do it. I think it is imperative, though, that they make a trade to get some relief pitching. Absolutely, positively, must do this. Problem is -- so many teams are in the race...I don't know who'll be the seller. Even if there is a seller, Yankees will probably outbid.

They've scored at least 10 runs in 4 consecutive games. Chipper is hot. McCann is hot. Andrew Jones is hot. Offense isn't the problem.

Best thing that happened to them was Reitsma getting hurt and going on the DL for the remainder of the year. Come to think of it, since then they've been on this run.

IF Cox were to pull this off -- by some miracle -- just go ahead and induct him into the Hall of Fame.

Thoughts?

Braves are DEAD

They won't make the postseason this year.
You are most likely correct, of course. My point is -- they WERE dead. But, this team just has no "give up" in them. They are resurrecting. Just how far can they take it?
one hot streak <> resurrecting

If they were just trailing one team, then maybe. But with so many teams all within 5 games, it's unlikely.

I'm as big of a Braves fan as anyone and I am cautiously optimistic regarding the Braves chances of making the post season. 10 games back of the Mets is not a 100% insurmountable lead, but it will be tough. They definitely have a shot at the wild card. Go Bravos!

I'm as big of a Braves fan as anyone and I am cautiously optimistic regarding the Braves chances of making the post season. 10 games back of the Mets is not a 100% insurmountable lead, but it will be tough. They definitely have a shot at the wild card. Go Bravos!
They have a 0% chance of winning the division. WC is their only hope.

Any homers know if Cox will find more PT for Betemit once Giles comes back?

Kid swings a good bat.
I wish, but it is more likely that Betemit is being showcased as trade bait to shore up the bullpen.

I'm as big of a Braves fan as anyone and I am cautiously optimistic regarding the Braves chances of making the post season.  10 games back of the Mets is not a 100% insurmountable lead, but it will be tough.  They definitely have a shot at the wild card.  Go Bravos!
Because everyone's scared of that Met rotation of Glavine, Pedro and......Glavine, Pedro and........ you're going have to help me out here.

I'm as big of a Braves fan as anyone and I am cautiously optimistic regarding the Braves chances of making the post season.  10 games back of the Mets is not a 100% insurmountable lead, but it will be tough.  They definitely have a shot at the wild card.  Go Bravos!
Because everyone's scared of that Met rotation of Glavine, Pedro and......Glavine, Pedro and........ you're going have to help me out here.
Al Leiter, David Cone, Dwight Gooden ;)

tom seaver and nolan ryan too

First, I don't think the Braves have much more than Smoltz and an inconsistent Hud. Do they?Second -- and much more importantly -- the Mets are up 11.5 games with 65 or so to play. That's virtually insurmountable. So maybe 1%, not 0%.

First, I don't think the Braves have much more than Smoltz and an inconsistent Hud. Do they?Second -- and much more importantly -- the Mets are up 11.5 games with 65 or so to play. That's virtually insurmountable. So maybe 1%, not 0%.
With 9 games left against the Mets, nothing is out of reach yet...It will be difficult, but it can be doable...

Plus I don't think the Mets have had a swoon yet this year and if they have a stretch where they drop 13 or 14 or 20 and the Braves play well, anything is possible...

But like I said, it is unlikely, but it is doable...

'][QUOTE=whoknew][QUOTE=Limp Ditka][QUOTE=whoknew][QUOTE=Arbitrator]I'm as big of a Braves fan as anyone and I am cautiously optimistic regarding the Braves chances of making the post season.  10 games back of the Mets is not a 100% insurmountable lead said:
[/QUOTE]First, I don't think the Braves have much more than Smoltz and an inconsistent Hud. Do they?Second -- and much more importantly -- the Mets are up 11.5 games with 65 or so to play. That's virtually insurmountable. So maybe 1%, not 0%.

[/QUOTE]With 9 games left against the Mets, nothing is out of reach yet...It will be difficult, but it can be doable...

Plus I don't think the Mets have had a swoon yet this year and if they have a stretch where they drop 13 or 14 or 20 and the Braves play well, anything is possible...

[/QUOTE]They hit a bad stretch a few weeks ago, posty. The Mets, that is.

Second -- and much more importantly -- the Mets are up 11.5 games with 65 or so to play. That's virtually insurmountable.
Is this a straight jinx or a reverse jinx? Not sure which dog you've got in this fight. :shrug:

'][QUOTE=whoknew][QUOTE=Limp Ditka][QUOTE=whoknew][QUOTE=Arbitrator]I'm as big of a Braves fan as anyone and I am cautiously optimistic regarding the Braves chances of making the post season. 10 games back of the Mets is not a 100% insurmountable lead said:

[/QUOTE]With 9 games left against the Mets, nothing is out of reach yet...It will be difficult, but it can be doable...

[/QUOTE]They hit a bad stretch a few weeks ago, posty. The Mets, that is.
[/QUOTE]Is losing 7 of 9 really a "swoon" in the sense of the term? I usually think a swoon is more of losing like 13 or 14 or 20...

Second -- and much more importantly -- the Mets are up 11.5 games with 65 or so to play. That's virtually insurmountable.
Is this a straight jinx or a reverse jinx? Not sure which dog you've got in this fight. :shrug:
Oh I don't care at all. I like watching Glavine, Pedro, D Wright, but also respect the Braves a lot and am a big Smotlz fan. But I'm a Tiger fan.

Braves have double digits run again and it's only the 5th.

As a Mets fan I'm not looking over my shoulder yet, but let's just say I'm checking the rear view mirror a little more closely.

It seems they always have a good second half, coming on strong at/after the break. Just how much ground do you think they can make up? Any chance at the wildcard?

Honestly, some pretty week teams between them and the top -- they could potentially do it. I think it is imperative, though, that they make a trade to get some relief pitching. Absolutely, positively, must do this. Problem is -- so many teams are in the race...I don't know who'll be the seller. Even if there is a seller, Yankees will probably outbid.

They've scored at least 10 runs in 4 consecutive games. Chipper is hot. McCann is hot. Andrew Jones is hot. Offense isn't the problem.

Best thing that happened to them was Reitsma getting hurt and going on the DL for the remainder of the year. Come to think of it, since then they've been on this run.

IF Cox were to pull this off -- by some miracle -- just go ahead and induct him into the Hall of Fame.

Thoughts?
I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Wickman wind up in Atlanta.

Why the hell did the Cardinals leave Marquis out there to get shelled for 11 runs? Do they have major bullpen issues or is he just taking one for the team?

Why the hell did the Cardinals leave Marquis out there to get shelled for 11 runs? Do they have major bullpen issues or is he just taking one for the team?
12, my friend, 12 earned runs.The Braves have now shelled -- I said "SHELLED" -- the opposition in 5 straight games.

Edit: This is now SIX games in a row that they've scored at least 10 runs. How do you find out what the record is for most consecutive 10+ games is? I'm sure it is more than 6, but I wonder how many?

I was at the Braves/Cards game tonight and Hudson pitched well. It was puzzling to me why Larussa left Marquis out there past the 4th inning. The Braves scored in every inning but 2 IIRC.

A. Jones had a monster game with 2 HR, 2 singles (hard hit linedrives), and a double that went to the wall at the deep part of the park. 6 RBI game for him. Don't know what's gotten into them, but they are scoring runs hand over fist these past couple of weeks.

I don't know if the Braves have the pitching to make up the margin, plus it's hard to imagine they can keep up this type of run production, but man, it's been fun to watch this 7 game winning streak. The Cards have been shell-shocked these last two games.

I'd love to see them push for the wildcard. I think the Mets are out of reach as their team is too good. <hoping for jinx>

Edit: This is now SIX games in a row that they've scored at least 10 runs. How do you find out what the record is for most consecutive 10+ games is? I'm sure it is more than 6, but I wonder how many?
One of the Braves radio announcers said that this is the longest streak since the 193? Yankees did it. It matches the Streak of the 1892 Braves, and the longest one was done by Boston, not sure the year, but in that same year they had a couple 7 game streaks and a couple 6 game streaks. I believe 7 is the longest.So with a current 5 game streak, they still need 2 more to tie the record.

For those of you that say the Mets aren't possible to catch, that will be decided when they play each other since they still play one another 9 times.

For the Betemit supporters, he does swing a nice bat, but he seems a little slow in the head when it comes to fielding. He doesn't turn a good double play. Giles is one of the best, that is when he is healthy. I say trade Giles instead, since his contract will be coming up soon and he can't stay healthy.

And Roger McDowell needs to go, and it's not because of the relievers, it's the entire pitching staff that are performing bad, it can't be a coincidence.

By law, no other NL East team is allowed to win the division. Braves are a lock.
:goodposting: How can anyone count this team out of the division race after what they've shown us? I just looked at the standings and they're only 11.5 games out- I'd say they can easily win that division. I wouldn't count them out unless they were over 25 games out right now.

The Braves only have one good starting pitcher this year - Smoltz. The rest stink.

If there's a reason to think they can catch the Mets, it stems from the fact that one could argue that the Mets also only have one good starting pitcher - Pedro Martinez.

tom seaver and nolan ryan too
Sid Fernandez down?

:pickle: I love it even more that 3 of my staff are from St. Louis & were giving me crap about my bravos on Sunday.

This run is the more fun than any stretch in the last 2 or 3 years. It may end up being all for not, but at least baseball has been fun in July!

Kid swings a good bat.
I wish, but it is more likely that Betemit is being showcased as trade bait to shore up the bullpen.
Why don't they get rid of Giles instead? I know he'd be tougher to unload, but Betemit seems like he might have serious offensive potential. Or maybe he just looks that way because the team is clicking.

Pedro

Glavine

Trachsel - has been very decent

Pelfrey

Backed by the best ERA for a bullpen in the league.

Just wait until Cliff Floyd starts hitting.

Kid swings a good bat.
Why don't they get rid of Giles instead? I know he'd be tougher to unload, but Betemit seems like he might have serious offensive potential. Or maybe he just looks that way because the team is clicking.
Betemit is hot and cold. Personally, I'd like to see them keep both and look for a team willing to trade relief help for prospects. Betemit has become a very valuable resource because he can play all the infield positions, he gives the Braves great flexibility. I don't think they move Giles - he's a nose-in-the-dirt kind of guy that teams love to have. He's having an off-year offensively too, so his stock is likely lower than it would be in another season.

Kid swings a good bat.
Betemit is hot and cold. Personally, I'd like to see them keep both and look for a team willing to trade relief help for prospects. Betemit has become a very valuable resource because he can play all the infield positions, he gives the Braves great flexibility. I don't think they move Giles - he's a nose-in-the-dirt kind of guy that teams love to have. He's having an off-year offensively too, so his stock is likely lower than it would be in another season.
Well, Betemit was a pretty big prospect at one point, wasn't he? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Either way, I heard the Braves are looking to nab Mike MacDougal from KC.

Kid swings a good bat.
Well, Betemit was a pretty big prospect at one point, wasn't he? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Either way, I heard the Braves are looking to nab Mike MacDougal from KC.
Betemit was the crown jewel of their farm system for years, but has never really exploded into the player they thought he'd be. I see him every year at spring training and the guy just LOOKS like a player in person - if you're a believer in the eyeball test, he passes it. Kid looks like a thoroughbred. He's showing some signs of breaking out right now, and they really need a guy to fill in those infield spots with Chipper getting up there in years and Giles' playing stlye leaving him very prone to injury. I just think he's more valuable to the Braves than to other teams right now, they should hang onto him. they've resisted trading him all these years when teams were clamoring to get him included in numerous trade-deadline deals, why move him now when he's able to help the club?

Because the bullpen had to do a ton of work in the blowout loss on Monday, so Marquis had to stay in and take his lumps last night. To hell with him. As poorly as he has pitched this season (his 11 wins mean nothing, as he has gotten a ridiculous amount of run support), I did not feel sorry for him at all.

Kid swings a good bat.
Would u do betemit for linebrink?Maybe they're auditioning Scott Thorman for a trade if they feel langerhans/kelly johnson/ Salty could handle LF next year ( or Betemit or Giles i guess)

Kid swings a good bat.
Would u do betemit for linebrink?Maybe they're auditioning Scott Thorman for a trade if they feel langerhans/kelly johnson/ Salty could handle LF next year ( or Betemit or Giles i guess)
No.Thorman and Kelly Johnson, I could definitely see them moving. Even Langerhans, if that's what it takes. I'd rather part with any of those guys than Giles, Betemit, or Saltalamacchia. Saltalamacchia has too much value, as he's a C prospect as well, even if McCann continues to stroke it, a C that can hammer it and make the throws is a vauable commodity. They can't afford to trade infielders after moving Marte - the cupboard is almost dry excepting Elvis Andrus, who's at least 3 years away.

Kid swings a good bat.
No.Thorman and Kelly Johnson, I could definitely see them moving. Even Langerhans, if that's what it takes. I'd rather part with any of those guys than Giles, Betemit, or Saltalamacchia. Saltalamacchia has too much value, as he's a C prospect as well, even if McCann continues to stroke it, a C that can hammer it and make the throws is a vauable commodity. They can't afford to trade infielders after moving Marte - the cupboard is almost dry excepting Elvis Andrus, who's at least 3 years away.
Aren't Yuniel Escobar (AA SS moved to 3B) and Luis Hernandez (22 yrs SS/2B) pretty highly regarded?I'd trade Langerhans in a heart beat but I don't think he has value. Maybe trade Laroche while he's hot and move Thorman to 1B?

from MLB.com
They are the first team to register a double-digit run total in five consecutive games since the 1930 Yankees, who were led by a couple guys named Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig.
still cannot find the actual record.

Last edited by a moderator:
20 homers since the break, the Braves have set a franchise record for home runs in a five-game stretch. The Major League record in that span is 21, held by the 1977 Red Sox and 1999 Reds.
wow. :banned:
73 runs in its past six games
:banned:
4 games under .500
Lets not crown them champs just yet. :( I still think we should be rebuilding this year. I would love & hate to see it, but can you imagine the prospects & young MLB talent we could get for say...Andruw? Chipper? Smoltzie? Hudson? Just imagine.

Kid swings a good bat.
Aren't Yuniel Escobar (AA SS moved to 3B) and Luis Hernandez (22 yrs SS/2B) pretty highly regarded?I'd trade Langerhans in a heart beat but I don't think he has value. Maybe trade Laroche while he's hot and move Thorman to 1B?
Hernandez gets a big :shrug: - don't know what he's capable of yet. He got up to AAA quickly, and has done squat there. Escobar was advertised as a slick fielding, not great hitting shortstop. So far in AA, he's hit beans and has made 20 errors in 89 games. Hoepfully he rights the ship, but I wouldn't be turning over the reins at any of the infield spots to him until/unless he shows marked improvement. I had actually forgotten about Eric Campbell - he's probably the best of the bunch.The more I think about it, Langerhans and Laroche would likely be the first two I'd move. Kelly Johnson, for some reason, I think really could be a big-time major leaguer. I don't know why, I just do.

Stinky pitching = a lot of runs. They'll come back to earth tonight as they face Chris Carpenter.

Kid swings a good bat.
Hernandez gets a big :shrug: - don't know what he's capable of yet. He got up to AAA quickly, and has done squat there. Escobar was advertised as a slick fielding, not great hitting shortstop. So far in AA, he's hit beans and has made 20 errors in 89 games. Hoepfully he rights the ship, but I wouldn't be turning over the reins at any of the infield spots to him until/unless he shows marked improvement. I had actually forgotten about Eric Campbell - he's probably the best of the bunch.The more I think about it, Langerhans and Laroche would likely be the first two I'd move. Kelly Johnson, for some reason, I think really could be a big-time major leaguer. I don't know why, I just do.
There's some nice 3B prospects below AA. Kelly Johnson had elbow surgery and last I heard he couldn't play OF because of the throws he'd have to make, don't know if that will change or not. He use to be a SS so who knows. I agree he looks like a hitter and has a nice swing at the plate

Stinky pitching = a lot of runs.  They'll come back to earth tonight as they face Chris Carpenter.
Jake Peavy and Chris Young down? :rolleyes:
:goodposting: Jafo, you're not being fair - they faced the meat of the San Diego rotation (Park, Young, Peavy) and lit them up. Those three pitchers had ERAs of 4.29, 4.46, and 3.12 respectively going into that series and the Braves got them for 19 ER in 14.1 IP aggregate, an 11.93 ERA. Likewise, Marquis and Weaver came into their games with a combined ERA of 5.82 and gave up 18 ER in 9 innings, so Atlanta's basically been scoring 3 times as many runs as the pitchers they're facing typically give up during this stretch. If that continues tonight, they'll get 8-9 even with Carpenter on the mound.

Users who are viewing this thread