What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shea Hillenbrand done as a Blue Jay! (1 Viewer)

Parmcat

Canada: Beer, Bacon and Beavers
Reported on the Jays broadcast tonight, that there was an argument in the clubhouse, and rumour is that Shea has requested a trade.

This is the only link I can find right now, but he may have played his last game as a Jay

LINK

Parm

Last edited by a moderator:
He's Gone

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...ol=970081600908

Seething Hillenbrand sent packing

Refuses to sit in dugout with teammates

Gibbons blasts DH in front of club

Jul. 19, 2006. 09:44 PM

GEOFF BAKER

SPORTS REPORTER

A furious Shea Hillenbrand lashed out at Blue Jays manager John Gibbons on Wednesday night after the team designated him for assignment.

Hillenbrand packed his bags during the game and headed back to his Toronto home a few hours after a bizarre series of events that saw the designated hitter criticize the team’s management. A clubhouse incident before batting practice, that Hillenbrand said was “meant to be humourous and fun for teammates” and involved other players besides him, led to Gibbons ripping him in a closed-door clubhouse meeting afterwards.

When the game began, Hillenbrand remained in the clubhouse and refused to head into the dugout. Gibbons later entered the clubhouse during the game and informed him that he was being designated.

“I appreciate the Jays for giving me an opportunity, but this unfortunately is just something with Gibby,’’ Hillenbrand told The Star before leaving the ballpark, adding that the manager was using the pre-game incident as an excuse for dumping him.

“From the beginning of the season, there were times when I wasn’t playing and there would be no justifiable excuse,’’ Hillenbrand said. “He said that if I had a problem with the team or what was going on, I should come into the manager’s office and talk to him.

“But then, he would get mad at me when I did that and accuse me of being a selfish player.’’

Hillenbrand said Gibbons "reamed him out" in front of teammates during Wednesday’s closed-door meeting and called it an “unprofessional’’ act by a manager he had a longstanding personality conflict with. The DH said Gibbons had ripped him in a private conversation two months ago, around the time the Jays were trying to trade him to the Los Angeles Angels for Adam Kennedy.

Hillenbrand is a free-agent after this season and has expressed disappointment at being relegated mainly to DH duty. He is hitting .301 with 12 homers and 39 RBIs, but his bat has been slumping for the better part of a month.

The biggest reason for the conflict between them, Hillenbrand said, is that the reasons Gibbons was giving for him not playing as often as he’d like were not justifiable.

“For whatever reason, he just didn’t like me," Hillenbrand said. “Maybe he thinks I’m selfish and only care about myself and not the team, but that’s not true. It’s just that when I see something I don’t think is right, I’m going to speak my mind about it.

“Maybe he’s not used to that, I don’t know. But I’m a professional too, I take pride in my work and I wasn’t happy with the way they were using me.’’

The Jays have 10 days to trade or assign Hillenbrand to their minor-league system, something they almost certainly would not do. In that case, he would be given his release.

Hillenbrand said he’ll miss his teammates, who he thanked for being “supportive” of him during yesterday’s difficult moments.

“The thing is, I loved it here,’’ he said. “I really liked the guys, my teammates. I think they’re guys who want to win and play the game hard. It’s just all about Gibbons right now and it’s really too bad things have gotten to this stage.’’

Earlier in the day, Hillenbrand had been furious to learn he was not in the lineup for Wednesday night’s game. He had rushed back from Los Angeles on Tuesday to rejoin the team after he and his wife, Jessica, adopted a newborn girl.

Hillenbrand had expected to play Tuesday as well – saying the team knew he’d be arriving just before game time – but was on the bench as Toronto’s offence was shutout for the final eight innings of a 5-2 loss.

“I was very surprised,’’ Hillenbrand said during batting practice on Wednesday when asked about again not being in the lineup. “They knew I was going to be here. I should have just stayed home.’’

As other reporters began approaching to hear what he was saying, Hillenbrand went on to rip management for having a “what have you done for me lately?’’ attitude towards players. He said players lack confidence in team management’s ability to make it a better club and implied it’s why the Jays are still third in the division

“I love my teammates, but I’m just waiting to get traded . . . they should have traded me two months ago.’’

Gibbons told reporters before the game that Hillenbrand was out of the lineup because he’d been inactive since playing last Friday night. Hillenbrand got on a plane for Los Angeles after the game to finalize the adoption of the newborn girl, who has been named Dakota Grace.

“He’s been out four games,’’ Gibbons said. “He needs to work in the field a bit.’’

Gibbons said he didn’t know what time Hillenbrand was to arrive on Tuesday so he didn’t pencil him into that night’s lineup. Hillenbrand said he’d originally hoped to be back on Monday, but had to stay an extra night in Los Angeles to sign some legal documents.

Told that team officials claimed they didn’t know when he’d be back, Hillenbrand laughed.

“That’s b.s.,’’ he said. “They knew exactly when I was coming.’’

Hillenbrand is also upset that no one from the team’s front office has talked to him since he got back.

“Not one person from the front office has even come up to congratulate me,’’ he said. “It’s all the (other) people like you (media) guys. But nobody from higher up. That’s a disgrace.’’

Shea Hillenbrand has always been a jerk, dating way back to his days in Boston.
Didn't he leave Boston after asking Epstien to "trade him right now, ######!"
That is correct, sir. They regularly play that clip on WAAF on the Hillman Morning Show.

I thought the players in Boston liked him though, I remember an interview where several players said he was the best hitter on the team, eventhough it was not true. Was I wrong on this assumption? I have not heard the clip where he told Epstein he must be traded.

decent odds he'll be in a Padre uni in the next 3 days. The Pads released Vinny Castilla today, and not because they think Mark Bellhorn is the answer.

I thought the players in Boston liked him though, I remember an interview where several players said he was the best hitter on the team, eventhough it was not true. Was I wrong on this assumption? I have not heard the clip where he told Epstein he must be traded.
I'm sure they did. I do remember Hillebrand making the typical "these beancounters don't know anything about baseball" comment when he was traded. This was right when the idea of sabermetrics was just becoming known to the average fan.I'm sure that even today plenty of players don't give a crap whether Hillebrand hacks at everything as long as he hits near .300.

I'm sure they did. I do remember Hillebrand making the typical "these beancounters don't know anything about baseball" comment when he was traded. This was right when the idea of sabermetrics was just becoming known to the average fan.I'm sure that even today plenty of players don't give a crap whether Hillebrand hacks at everything as long as he hits near .300.
That is probably why a lot of the players liked him so much. It was an interview on Baseball Tonight (strange that they would have a piece about the Red Sox), but I'm sure most baseball players at the time did not like to be quantitatively qualified by a bunch of number crunchers. Kind of surprising that Ricardi would go after him with his low walk rate, and relatively low OBP.

decent odds he'll be in a Padre uni in the next 3 days. The Pads released Vinny Castilla today, and not because they think Mark Bellhorn is the answer.
He's officially designated for assignment, so they have 10 days to trade him or release him. I would be a bit surprised if they released him outright right away when they can make him wait for 10 days.

Shea Hillenbrand has always been a jerk, dating way back to his days in Boston.
Didn't he leave Boston after asking Epstien to "trade him right now, ######!"
That is correct, sir. They regularly play that clip on WAAF on the Hillman Morning Show.
Explanation? Haven't heard this before.
There had been trade rumors going around about Hillenbrand for awhile because he had a low salary and because Boston had just brought in Bill Mueller (who would go on to play Gold Glove-caliber defense along with winning a batting title and a World Series in Boston). If I'm not mistaken, Hillenbrand drove in the winning run or just had a great game or something the night before, and then he appeared on his weekly interview for this particular radio station the next morning, and he said, "Yeah, trade me now, ######," as if he was talking to Theo Epstein. I believe he was traded the following day.

From his days in the Red Sox minor league organization, I had heard he was a very unlikeable person.

Basically, a very selfish jerk with his teammates.

from another board:

Shea wasn't popular in the clubhouse, and the Jays didn't jump-the-gun by DFAing him. Columnists in all of Toronto's major papers are airing TO-esque stories about Shea that just couldn't come out while he was on the team.Apparently, Shea's refused to speak with Jays management - or Gibbons - for the past couple months. It's being intimated that he left the team without permission - for 4 days - then showed up 30 minutes before Tuesdays game and was miffed about not being in the lineup.The weirdest story - which comes from another Jays player - is that Shea ripped the Canadian flag off his cap when he was pulled from a Canada Day game.Living in Toronto, I can tell you I haven't heard - or read - one single sentiment supporting Hillenbrand, or criticizing Jays management for cutting him. This wasn't just a manager flipping out and losing control of his team; it was Owens coming out and ripping Donovan.By the way, see if this changes your opinion: The cue for last night's tirade - apparently - was Shea writing, "This is a sinking ship" on the blackboard in the Jays clubhouse.
The sinking ship stuff (if true) is a red flag. That should never happen.

Rumor has it that Hillenbrand demanded to be traded because Toronto organization didn't congratulate him after adopting a child.

from another board:

Shea wasn't popular in the clubhouse, and the Jays didn't jump-the-gun by DFAing him. Columnists in all of Toronto's major papers are airing TO-esque stories about Shea that just couldn't come out while he was on the team.

Apparently, Shea's refused to speak with Jays management - or Gibbons - for the past couple months. It's being intimated that he left the team without permission - for 4 days - then showed up 30 minutes before Tuesdays game and was miffed about not being in the lineup.

The weirdest story - which comes from another Jays player - is that Shea ripped the Canadian flag off his cap when he was pulled from a Canada Day game.

Living in Toronto, I can tell you I haven't heard - or read - one single sentiment supporting Hillenbrand, or criticizing Jays management for cutting him. This wasn't just a manager flipping out and losing control of his team; it was Owens coming out and ripping Donovan.

By the way, see if this changes your opinion: The cue for last night's tirade - apparently - was Shea writing, "This is a sinking ship" on the blackboard in the Jays clubhouse.
The sinking ship stuff (if true) is a red flag. That should never happen.
This makes a lot more sense.

listening to talk radio today and havent heard one person support shea.

(same as the papers) the guy and his family are #####

good riddance

According to the Toronto Star, manager John Gibbons challenged Shea Hillenbrand to a fight during a team meeting prior to the Blue Jays designating Hillenbrand for assignment Wednesday.
:lmao: Jesus..

Yeah, this was on CBS a couple days ago (pre-meltdown):

The Los Angeles Daily News suggests the Blue Jays and Angels may be trading partners before the upcoming deadline. Among the names being mentioned: Angels pitchers Dustin Moseley and Joe Saunders and infielders Adam Kennedy and Howie Kendrick.

According to the Toronto Star, manager John Gibbons challenged Shea Hillenbrand to a fight during a team meeting prior to the Blue Jays designating Hillenbrand for assignment Wednesday.
:lmao: Jesus..
I heard Gibbons did it like the principal in Breakfast Club - just totally emasculated Hillenbrand and offered him the first punch and everything."Ever heard of Jeff Bagwell?" :lmao:

Hillenbrand trade with Vinny Chulk to San Fran for reliever Jeremy Accardo

Linky

I know nothing about this guy....anyone have an opinion of this deal?

Parm

Users who are viewing this thread