What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (4 Viewers)

The big problem with EVs is that they're more expensive, less functional and goofier looking than regular cars. This car will probably be much more expensive, but it's reasonably funcctional and looks very cool. It's a little rough that you can't go more than 250 miles without stopping for 3.5 hours, but if you can afford a car like this, that's not really a problem, and realistically, you can always rent a gas powered car if you want to take a road trip. I like it.

The big problem with EVs is that they're more expensive, less functional and goofier looking than regular cars. This car will probably be much more expensive, but it's reasonably funcctional and looks very cool. It's a little rough that you can't go more than 250 miles without stopping for 3.5 hours, but if you can afford a car like this, that's not really a problem, and realistically, you can always rent a gas powered car if you want to take a road trip. I like it.
Yeah I was wondering how much time it took to charge. It would totally suck to have to charge that thing up for like 10 hours a day.

I thought it looked nice.

The bird's eye view of the car looks like something straight out of the first GTA. Interior looks nice.

Yeah I was wondering how much time it took to charge. It would totally suck to have to charge that thing up for like 10 hours a day.
Performance> performance specs"as short as 3.5 hours"

this is pretty cool:

First gear has strong "regenerative braking" that recharges the battery during deceleration and feels like engine braking in low gear on other sports cars.

This car looks sweet. Here's what I don't get though:

This car will probably be pretty expensive. Anyone who can afford it most likely can afford to pay high gasoline prices no problem too. And it looks like more of an enthusiast's car...I know myself, if I'm driving a sports car, the way it sounds is important. I just can't see the whine of batteries being to exciting. So I can't see how it will do too well?

Who knows though?

Last edited by a moderator:
this is pretty cool:

First gear has strong "regenerative braking" that recharges the battery during deceleration and feels like engine braking in low gear on other sports cars.
Some hybrids already use regenerative braking now to recharge batteries.

How much does a charge cost and what is the life expectancy of the batteries? How much are new batteries?

Looks pretty cool.

According to CNN price range will be $85,000 to $120,000

According to some other tech sites, the battery should last 100,000 miles. I have no idea what new batteries will cost.

There are around 8,000 computer controlled lithium-ion battery cells to power the car :nerd:

0-60 in 3.9 seconds

Only one moving part in the engine :hot:

No belts, fans, or filters

No oil

2 cents a mile

What's the downside besides having to charge a few hours and the $110,000 price tag?

I've driven an electric motorcycle, and it was a rocket. You can make EVs that go incredibly fast. The problem is that eats a lot of energy. So any EV that is speedy will equal less range.

0-60 in 3.9 seconds

Only one moving part in the engine :rant:

No oil

2 cents a mile

What's the downside besides having to charge a few hours and the $110,000 price tag?
If I won the lottery, this is the car I'd buy. I love the Porsche 911, but the Tesla is just an awesome car. But that price tag definitely puts a bit of a crimp in things. Not to mention you have no idea how long the car would last, your repair options would be limited and I think you have to have a special charging station installed at your house as well.

0-60 in 3.9 seconds

Only one moving part in the engine :thumbup:

No oil

2 cents a mile

If I won the lottery, this is the car I'd buy. I love the Porsche 911, but the Tesla is just an awesome car. But that price tag definitely puts a bit of a crimp in things. Not to mention you have no idea how long the car would last, your repair options would be limited and I think you have to have a special charging station installed at your house as well.
It say if you can charge your cell phone you can charge your car. Also for long drives and or emergencies I'd just keep a small gas powered generator in the trunk.
I've driven an electric motorcycle, and it was a rocket. You can make EVs that go incredibly fast. The problem is that eats a lot of energy. So any EV that is speedy will equal less range.
Did you miss the 2 cents per mile part?
That's kind of offset by the initial price, no?
I guess that all depends on what you drive now. If you're in a $65,000+ car now what's another $40k?

I'm guessing that the new battery at 100k miles will be a back breaker. Tesla has been touting EV sports cars for years, but not much has come out of it but concepts. Hopefully they can get more stuff on the road.

I read that the acceleration on this thing is absolutely insane. One of the guys that works for the company said that he demonstrates the acceleration to people by sitting at a dead stop and asking the passenger to reach up and turn the radio on. As they start to reach forward he floors the accelerator and the passenger is pinned to the seat back.

And since there is no "horsepower" letdown as the car gets faster, he can basically keep the passenger pinned back as he goes faster and faster.

0-60 in 3.9 seconds

Only one moving part in the engine :thumbup:

No oil

2 cents a mile

It say if you can charge your cell phone you can charge your car. Also for long drives and or emergencies I'd just keep a small gas powered generator in the trunk.
That's kind of offset by the initial price, no?
I guess that all depends on what you drive now. If you're in a $65,000+ car now what's another $40k?
A 61.54% increase.

I used to say how the one car I wanted to own before I die was an Elise. I think that has now changed. :thumbup:

No, didn't miss that. I worked for years in the EV industry, and I beleive strongly in alternative fuels. But electric cars and hybrids leave a large footprint when you factor in the production and recycling of batteries. So the notion that EVs and hybrids are green is not true.

No, didn't miss that. I worked for years in the EV industry, and I beleive strongly in alternative fuels. But electric cars and hybrids leave a large footprint when you factor in the production and recycling of batteries. So the notion that EVs and hybrids are green is not true.
Well after 100,000 miles the old batteries can be shot into space. Makes sense to me.

A lot of f'n money?
Well, they do have a plan to offer an increasing number of models, starting with a luxury sedan than a full sized car and finally an economy car. Initially they were looking at 2-3 years between roll-outs, not sure if thats changed or not.
50K deposit and you get your car within 15 months.

Well after 100,000 miles the old batteries can be shot into space. Makes sense to me.
:blush:

The up side to this car is that every time you drive it, a duplicate appears in the woods behind Tesla's lab in Colorado just like in The Prestige

2009 Roadster base price: $109,000 :suds:
From Tesla's website under "reserve":
Important Information — please read

* Membership positions for the 2009 Tesla Roadster are open to all US Residents

* 2009 Roadster base price: $109,000*

* Wait time to delivery is approximately 15 months*

* A $60,000 refundable membership fee is required to secure your position
I know someone who works in engineering at Tesla. In his opinion, management was severely misguided in pumping resources into developing the transmission for the car, which was essentially built solely to increase the 0-60 statistic. He said the earlier version of the car was more fun to drive and cheaper to make.

Right. But the production of distribution of those batteries produces tons of pollution.

Right. But the production of distribution of those batteries produces tons of pollution.
And it doesn't cost anything to shoot things into space...

2009 Roadster base price: $109,000 :confused:

I know someone who works in engineering at Tesla. In his opinion, management was severely misguided in pumping resources into developing the transmission for the car, which was essentially built solely to increase the 0-60 statistic. He said the earlier version of the car was more fun to drive and cheaper to make.
Doesn't 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds fall under "fun?" :shrug: What "fun" driving stuff do you have to cut out of a car to boost it's 0 to 60 time? :shrug:

As opposed to the entirely green process of manufacturing an ICE car? Everything that requires energy creates tons of pollution, since most of the power generated on the plant creates significant pollution. The entire economy isnt going to turn green overnight.

As opposed to the entirely green process of manufacturing an ICE car? Everything that requires energy creates tons of pollution, since most of the power generated on the plant creates significant pollution. The entire economy isnt going to turn green overnight.
I think he's more talking about the horrendous pollution the production of the batteries makes. It's very destructive to the environment. Hopefully we can come up with a less caustic way to store energy.

I think he's more talking about the horrendous pollution the production of the batteries makes. It's very destructive to the environment. Hopefully we can come up with a less caustic way to store energy.
Right now we use gasoline with an ICE to store and consume energy for transportation. Thats not exactly a clean technology either. Atleast with an electric car, it gets greener as the grid gets greener. Also, because power transmission, storage and production through the grid is more efficient that the output of an ICE, the cars themselves wind up requiring less fuel. Additionally, its not like caustic chemicals are only used in making lithium ion batteries. There are plenty used in constructing an ICE and lead battery. My point is that we're going to be polluting no matter what car we make, and we'll be making plenty of cars. Just because an electric isnt perfect doesnt mean it isnt a step in the right direction.ETA - plus if it gets the US government to stop stupidly championing corn ethanol, it would be worth any additional chemicals introduced by the batteries

I am all for alternative fuels, but the simple fact is a SMART car that gets 45 MPG is better for the environment than EVs with lead-acid or lithium-ion batteries. Until battery technology is improved, EVs will have a large envorinmental toll.

2009 Roadster base price: $109,000 :thumbup:

Doesn't 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds fall under "fun?" :shrug: What "fun" driving stuff do you have to cut out of a car to boost it's 0 to 60 time? :thumbup:
If the battery is required to be bigger/heavier I can certainly imagine the handling characteristics suffering. I've always felt light cars that handled really well and can corner well were much more fun to drive than the typical heavy muscle car that just goes fast in a straight line.I can see why the management went the way bialczabub suggests though, I've read this article several times. The 0-60 time has created a lot of buzz and free advertising. It's also changed the image of alternative fuel cars as being something only a tree-hugger could love.

Users who are viewing this thread