What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (1 Viewer)

Picked up my new Model 3 today. Did not play with any autopilot features, was mostly on back roads and wanted the full experience. One pedal driving is so much fun on roads with lots of curves. So is blowing off a red light and seeing your passengers forced back into their seats. Maybe that will wear off, we'll see after a few more test drives. ;)

Controlling settings as a computer will take some adjustment.

Picked up my new Model 3 today. Did not play with any autopilot features, was mostly on back roads and wanted the full experience. One pedal driving is so much fun on roads with lots of curves. So is blowing off a red light and seeing your passengers forced back into their seats. Maybe that will wear off, we'll see after a few more test drives. ;)

Congrats!!

Which is correct but stupid.

As an aside, I had a long drive Sunday from Va to Md.  About 130 miles on a highway.  We just got a new Sienna and the thing has cruise control with auto spacing or whatever.  Basically you set it to the distance you want to keep from the car in front of you, how fast you want to go max, and the thing will brake and accelerate to keep you that distance away.  It was freaking awesome and totally uncramped my foot.
I love using adaptive cruise control and Lane Assist on our new Pilot. Awesome fatigue reducers.
Absolutely hate ACC on my Pilot. Have had it turned off since shortly after the purchase. Couldn’t disagree with you more. TEHO

It won’t 

Absolutely hate ACC on my Pilot. Have had it turned off since shortly after the purchase. Couldn’t disagree with you more. TEHO
What don't you like about it?  

I find that I still actively have to turn on/off and make distance adjustments, so I don't use it much on regular driving in modest traffic. But on long a cross country trip with moderate to low traffic, it worked well for me.

What model year do you have? Perhaps they've improved it with the 2019s?

The only thing I don't like about all the settings being on the screen is accessing the AC.  Its about 3 touches to access the A/C fan and temps.  Otherwise I've adjusted.  I feel like AC controls can be reached with the voice control in the near future. 

I got mine in March and it still hasn't worn off.  :)

The only thing I don't like about all the settings being on the screen is accessing the AC.  Its about 3 touches to access the A/C fan and temps.  Otherwise I've adjusted.  I feel like AC controls can be reached with the voice control in the near future. 
Interesting.  I have mine sync'd and on Auto and it is just one touch to turn up or down the temperature.  If I want to change the direction of the vents it is more work, but I rarely do that.

I've lost the little energy meter on the dash of my model S, the thing that shows your W-hr/mile.  Instead there's a picture of all the tires' PSI.  Can't figure out how to get it back.  Anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting.  I have mine sync'd and on Auto and it is just one touch to turn up or down the temperature.  If I want to change the direction of the vents it is more work, but I rarely do that.
If I leave mine on auto its blowing on 10 every time I get int he car.  Its not a headache, just a mild annoyance.  About 3 touches to get it where I want it vs turning a knob.  

I do have to drive my wife's Honda Odyssey and its overwhelming sitting behind the wheel seeing all those buttons now.  The screen is an upgrade in every possible way. 

Ready for the new update...That Beach Buggy game looks like a lot of fun.  

I've lost the little energy meter on the dash of my model S, the thing that shows your W-hr/mile.  Instead there's a picture of all the tires' PSI.  Can't figure out how to get it back.  Anyone?
Not that I remember how, but they showed me how to change it between %Charge Remaining and Miles Remaining, then recommended and set it to miles. But, he didn't mention any other options for that field.

Not that I remember how, but they showed me how to change it between %Charge Remaining and Miles Remaining, then recommended and set it to miles. But, he didn't mention any other options for that field.
i think i've found it.  you can use the scroll buttons on the steering wheel to select.  will try on the way home.  GB the innertubes.

Dragons said:
joffer said:
If you press in and hold either scroll wheel on the steering wheel it will take you to a submenu that allows you to then scroll up or down to select what want displayed on either side of the dash.

ETA: Model S/X only; this is for the binnacle / instrument panel directly in front of the driver.

Simple white will be the only color available on the Model 3 without an additional charge. 

Feels like a cash grab.  

Simple white will be the only color available on the Model 3 without an additional charge. 

Feels like a cash grab.  
I would have chosen it over black had I had that choice.  I don't think it matters much what the no-cost option is, if people don't want to pay extra they'll take whatever color is the no cost color.

Feels like a cash grab.  
$300 for Homelink on M3 def feels like a cash grab. Has been standard on every Tesla ever delivered. Now it’s only available as an after delivery add-on, so you have to schedule a SC appt to have it installed.

So dumb.

Autopilot is basically Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Keeping and I believe it will find a safe place to change lanes when the blinker is triggered. 

The features included in the Full Self Driving should eventually sense street lights. Navigate on Autopilot (a FSD feature) currently detects stop signs (actually, I believe it detects the painted line across the road that indicates a stop sign).
Anyone know if lane change is included with AP?  I haven't been able to get it to work on a few tries. I have (recent) AP, no FSD.

Anyone know if lane change is included with AP?  I haven't been able to get it to work on a few tries. I have (recent) AP, no FSD.
Lane change is with the FSD package.   

Autopilot- Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.

Full Self Driving Capability

- Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.

- Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.

- Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

Coming later this year:

- Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.

- Automatic driving on city streets

Note: Autopilot is required for the purchase of Full Self Driving Capability

Lane change is with the FSD package.   

Autopilot- Enables your car to steer, accelerate and brake automatically for other vehicles and pedestrians within its lane.

Full Self Driving Capability

- Navigate on Autopilot: automatic driving from highway on-ramp to off-ramp including interchanges and overtaking slower cars.

- Autopark: both parallel and perpendicular spaces.

- Summon: your parked car will come find you anywhere in a parking lot. Really.

Coming later this year:

- Recognize and respond to traffic lights and stop signs.

- Automatic driving on city streets

Note: Autopilot is required for the purchase of Full Self Driving Capability
Thanks. I thought my OA said AP would change lanes if you turn on the blinker (different than signaling and changing lanes on it's own in Navigate on Autopilot). 

95,200 2019Q2 total deliveries.

77,550 M3 deliveries (5935/week).

I'm not seeing a problem with demand.

https://ir.tesla.com/news-releases/news-release-details/tesla-q2-2019-vehicle-production-deliveries.
Thats awesome, but I still wish they would advertise just a little.  I'm sure in Cali its not a problem, but in Mississippi people still have no clue about these cars.  Some people think its range is about 60 miles, others think I have to go to the one Super Charger in the Jackson area to charge every couple of days, most have no clue I can charge it at home.   :wall:

Not to mention its the safest car on the planet.  I know its not Tesla's job to educate people about EV's, but I think it would help.  

Thats awesome, but I still wish they would advertise just a little.  I'm sure in Cali its not a problem, but in Mississippi people still have no clue about these cars.  Some people think its range is about 60 miles, others think I have to go to the one Super Charger in the Jackson area to charge every couple of days, most have no clue I can charge it at home.   :wall:

Not to mention its the safest car on the planet.  I know its not Tesla's job to educate people about EV's, but I think it would help.  
I'd rather they spend advertising money on other things personally, but I'm East coast so there is plenty of infrastructure and knowledge.

Yeah. The people of Mississippi have never been successful educating the people of Mississippi.  I'm not sure it's fair to put it on the shoulders of a corporation.

Yeah. The people of Mississippi have never been successful educating the people of Mississippi.  I'm not sure it's fair to put it on the shoulders of a corporation.
I Know, I know.   :kicksrock:

I do agree, but the Pickup is coming...If it truly is going to be in the $50k price range with a battery that will go 300 miles thats a freaking home run around here.  Every other auto on the road here is an F150, Tundra or Silverado and those things start at $50k.  And they all ##### about the same thing...gas mileage.  Every guy I know around here spends $400-500 a month on gas, but they all give me the same answer, "I have to have a truck."  Its crazy!

You're not wrong, though.  If they want to be at the forefront of the EV movement, it actually is part of their job to bridge the ignorance gap.

They're already at the forefront.  Until someone comes up with a vehicle that actually challenges them I don't really think the advertising is all that necessary personally.

It wasn't necessary when they were selling more cars than they could produce. 

At the point production capacity exceeds demand, you have to do something to draw in the people who aren't early adopter types.  They have a nontraditional distribution network, a nontraditional product, and a nontraditional means of fueling that product.  All of those things make creatures of habit uncomfortable.  You have to overcome that somehow.  You and I both know interacting with someone who already owns the product is the best advertising they get right now. They need to reach the people who aren't having those interactions.  

It wasn't necessary when they were selling more cars than they could produce. 

At the point production capacity exceeds demand, you have to do something to draw in the people who aren't early adopter types.  They have a nontraditional distribution network, a nontraditional product, and a nontraditional means of fueling that product.  All of those things make creatures of habit uncomfortable.  You have to overcome that somehow.  You and I both know interacting with someone who already owns the product is the best advertising they get right now. They need to reach the people who aren't having those interactions.  
True enough.

Pricing going up on Tesla once autonomous driving is possible

This plan is not unexpected for those of us who have been following Tesla’s robotaxi aspirations, but this is the first time Musk has stated explicitly that consumers have a limited time to buy a car at anything close to what most consumers would consider a reasonable price.

The concept here relies on a few assumptions.  1) That Tesla will be able to make a car that can drive itself fully, at all times, with no human inside it.  2) That a car driving itself will be safer and cheaper to operate than a car with a human driver in it, since the human driver won’t need to be paid.  3) That these robotaxis will be able to make enough money driving themselves around that the potential profits will significantly eclipse the purchase price + running costs of a $40,000-$50,000 car even when the time value of money is taken into account.

If all those things become true, then Tesla has a choice between selling a car for $40,000 once or keeping that car and operating it as a robotaxi and generating perhaps ten times that amount over the life of the vehicle.  If that’s the case, then the company would be foolish to sell the car and miss out on that future profit potential.

And Tesla shared some numbers showing that they think this will be the case.  At their recent Autonomy Investor Day, they showed a slide suggesting that an average robotaxi would be able to bring in $330,000 worth of profits over its useful lifetime.  In keeping with this projection, Tesla recently raised the price of the still-unreleased full self-driving option (just a couple months after temporarily lowering it in a pretty shady way).

So this is what Musk is getting at when he says that consumers have a limited time to buy a car.  All of a sudden, a $40,000 Model 3 would need to cost six figures for the equation to pencil out for Tesla, and consumers will likely balk at that.  This, then, would give Tesla little reason to retain a large retail presence and they would likely focus on offering robotaxi services or possibly fleet sales.

Theoretically, Tesla could still sell cars at high prices, but Musk’s laconic answer suggests that Tesla plans otherwise.  Tesla has already stated that they plan to buy back leased Model 3s and put them into service as robotaxis after the lease term is up.
Elon keeps doubling down on his vision.  All in on autonomous vehicles - interested to see how Wall Street reacts to a car company that doesn't want to sell cars in the future.  

Earnings call announced for July 24

8 days earlier than last years Q2 call. *

Current sentiment/expectation is GAAP loss, small non-GAAP profit, and cash flow positive.

:popcorn:

*sorry, that means nothing - earlier than the last 3 years Q2 report by 8-10 days, but they've actually been doing the earnings call around the 25th since Q3 2018. 

With any Tesla, yes. Their tolerances are not as tight as more mature manufacturers; to illustrate, take two quarters and place them in the panel gaps of any model Tesla. Any year. Might be 1-3 quarters. Now walk over to an Acura, Lexus or Mercedes with a dime (1) - which may not fit - for comparison. Paint defects are common. The good news is any problems you find at delivery are taken care of via a due bill. Eventually they get it right.

WRT this specific report, these two have been on a crusade since they were terminated last year. In a company of 50K I’m not surprised they found disgruntled individuals to corroborate the story. It’s not an easy place to work, I’m sure. 

Carlos and Maggie Aranda (former employees who are the primary source) initially were trying to sue Tesla by stating that they were wrongfully terminated for various reasons: Carlos said he "resigned from his job due to injuries sustained while on the job" but Tesla claims they fired him for Tweeting something out while at work. Maggie claims she was fired for using her cell phone on the production line, but it was actually because she was trying to accept another employee's vacation time to use as her extended medical leave. I would think that both of the original offenses warranted their terminations and since it seems that since they won't be getting any form of compensation from Tesla, they took to the news media to smear Tesla.

Think about how many people are going to be displaced by the EV revolution and autonomous driving. Employees of auto manufacturers, Tier 2 suppliers, dealerships, oil production & refineries, gas stations, mechanics, aftermarket products, et al. Tesla has a rather large bullseye on their back & highly motivated critics.

CNBC negative articles / on air hit pieces run a good 10:1 in favor of #TESLAQ (bears & shorts.) It remains, by far, the most shorted stock in the world, which makes the SP climb of the last 6 weeks especially painful for some hedge funds & institutional investors.

They’ve always had quality issues, it gets better, then a new model comes out, cycle repeats. About the time they master the 3 the Model Y production will ramp up & the same ole stories will make the rounds again. 

Seems like the reliability on the Model 3 is improving based on the lower frequency of delivery hell anecdotes on the forums (not to be confused with data or actual surveys.)

Owners who have had a few Teslas seem philosophical in response. They’re changing the world, they’re the first successful NA auto manufacturer in 100+ years, the Mission hasn’t changed, etc. We’ve been hearing about “Tesla killers” for years, then you look at US BEV auto sales for 2019 and see they’ve smoked GM 50:1. I am looking forward to seeing real competition, as it will force them to get their act together with respect to quality & certain aspects of customer service. Currently no one can produce a BEV vehicle that matches the quickness, the range or the efficiency. Someday that will change & it’ll be a good thing for both consumers and Tesla.

weird article about ex-employees being funded by TSLAQ

fyi - on Twitter #TSLAQ is a popular hashtag used by shorts/bears, $TSLA is the corresponding code for longs/bears. Follow the accounts of TESLAQ and you’ll discover they have a block list of almost 3K accounts (mostly fan bois) because they don’t want to see any good news about TSLA.

They even wrote a script - one-click & you’ll never see another positive tweet about Musk, Tesla, SpaceX, Boring, Solar City, sustainability....

The TESLAQ community includes several reporters, hedge fund managers, analysts, et al, who have calling the demise and ultimate bankruptcy of TSLA for years.

I think both sides have no shortage of tin foil hats.

Users who are viewing this thread