What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Electric Cars (Tesla and Others) (4 Viewers)

Foosball God said:
I haven't had a chance to read the article, is it based on the VW MEB platform?
The electric F150 link? It's a video showing the truck pulling a million lb. train loaded with 250,000 lbs. of F150s. They do not get into any technical specs of the truck.

The electric F150 link? It's a video showing the truck pulling a million lb. train loaded with 250,000 lbs. of F150s. They do not get into any technical specs of the truck.
574,964 lbs. That's the weight of the train that the world record holder pulled using his teeth - almost half (46%) of that which the F-150 managed. (cut and pasted from an article linked above).

Well, it's been almost 8 weeks now, and still no sign of my refund.  :thumbdown:
Just got my refund today, approximately 4 months after my initial request. I had to contact them a second time to cut me a check. Better late than never, I suppose.

Also, I hope Tesla goes all-in on the autonomous taxi business soon. It would be great to never have to buy another vehicle, and I'm sure traffic would improve. Also will be interesting to see how public transit is impacted.

Terminalxylem said:
Just got my refund today, approximately 4 months after my initial request. I had to contact them a second time to cut me a check. Better late than never, I suppose.

Also, I hope Tesla goes all-in on the autonomous taxi business soon. It would be great to never have to buy another vehicle, and I'm sure traffic would improve. Also will be interesting to see how public transit is impacted.
Traffic will only improvre when working/school/business hours are no longer coinciding across the board. Autonomous driving isn't the silver bullet for too many people moving the same places in individual cars at the same time.

Traffic will only improvre when working/school/business hours are no longer coinciding across the board. Autonomous driving isn't the silver bullet for too many people moving the same places in individual cars at the same time.
Excellent point - it’s amazing how much better traffic is when school is out. Good public schools and non-neurotic parents would go a long way to improving things.

But I still contend autonomous vehicles will make a huge impact regardless, as tailgating and rapid lane changing with resultant unexpected braking contribute bigly to slow downs.

Excellent point - it’s amazing how much better traffic is when school is out. Good public schools and non-neurotic parents would go a long way to improving things.

But I still contend autonomous vehicles will make a huge impact regardless, as tailgating and rapid lane changing with resultant unexpected braking contribute bigly to slow downs.
I follow a few autonomous blogs and one of the things they say actually makes a huge difference is sightlines.  When people are cresting a hill they let off the gas which compounds the issue as the car slows for gravity reasons as well.  

I follow a few autonomous blogs and one of the things they say actually makes a huge difference is sightlines.  When people are cresting a hill they let off the gas which compounds the issue as the car slows for gravity reasons as well.  
Interesting. I bet the greater proportion of SUVs and trucks on the road contributes to this problem as well.

But I had always heard the two things I mentioned were the biggest contributors. I hate tailgating, so I try to leave an appropriate space cushion, but have also modified my behavior to avoid rapid lane changes.

And I'm sure self drivers won't have a problem with the reviled zipper merge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got a P90D loaner this morning.  The power difference is staggering.  50% increase in chance of death by car accident if I owned this thing.
What do you normally drive?   I’ve been test drivings some 85D’s and they’ve got some balls.  

What do you normally drive?   I’ve been test drivings some 85D’s and they’ve got some balls.  

It's still a damn fun car to drive. No major complaints.  I might have preferred when I didn't know what I was missing.  

I bought used. Given a do-over, I'd probably put extra money into the battery.  I had 85 options, but I didn't feel like I could justify the cost difference at the time.  Basically, I opted for fewer miles over range.  My thought at the time was, "Oh, I won't miss the extra 35 miles."  And most of the time I don't.  But the times I wish I had them would, I think, be worth the cost difference.

Driving the P/D was stupid fun, but I'm not sure I'd put the money into it even if I had a redo.  Not that I wouldn't want to, but I'm already well beyond what I'd prefer to spend on a depreciating asset.  Maybe if I had a ton of time to just sit and shop and wait for the right deal.  I didn't have that luxury when I bought mine, so I got what seemed like the best option I could find in a reasonable timeline.  (I got T-boned and had to replace my car)

It's still a damn fun car to drive. No major complaints.  I might have preferred when I didn't know what I was missing.  

I bought used. Given a do-over, I'd probably put extra money into the battery.  I had 85 options, but I didn't feel like I could justify the cost difference at the time.  Basically, I opted for fewer miles over range.  My thought at the time was, "Oh, I won't miss the extra 35 miles."  And most of the time I don't.  But the times I wish I had them would, I think, be worth the cost difference.

Driving the P/D was stupid fun, but I'm not sure I'd put the money into it even if I had a redo.  Not that I wouldn't want to, but I'm already well beyond what I'd prefer to spend on a depreciating asset.  Maybe if I had a ton of time to just sit and shop and wait for the right deal.  I didn't have that luxury when I bought mine, so I got what seemed like the best option I could find in a reasonable timeline.  (I got T-boned and had to replace my car)
Don't worry, soon you'll be able to turn it into a robo taxi, just have to pay a little extra to upgrade your hardware.  ;)

Don't worry, soon you'll be able to turn it into a robo taxi, just have to pay a little extra to upgrade your hardware.  ;)
Thats still an extremely ludicrous thing to think about.  I'm clearly an Elon fan and wish the best for his companies, but I have to see this one to believe it.  

Seems like something every single gas station should be actively pursuing.  They don't make most of their money off gas anyway.  You can keep someone in your convenience store for 30 minutes or so?  No-brainer.
when i'm at a Tesla supercharger on a road trip, if there's anything nearby, i end up buying something even if i didn't need it.

Have you guys taken some trips? Has she adjusted to the charging thing? Does she love/hate the tesla (or not care)?
Hasn't even driven it yet.  Has no interest in doing so. She's happy I like my car. We put a LOT of miles on it, 'cause no gas. But she truly couldn't care less. It's just a car.  My daughter, however, loves it.  Mostly because her friends think it's cool. It's a win.  I'll take it.

I think you have to be a person for whom the journey >>>> the destination to feel good about taking it on a trip.  That is NOT us if we're driving somewhere.  We stop when we need gas.  You use the bathroom, grab some food, and we're back in the car.  As few stops as possible and get there asap.  For people who have driven that way for 20+ years, the idea of jumping off the interstate and hanging out for an hour - twice - is not appealing.

I suggested taking it to San Diego. I thought at least my daughter would be on my side.  I basically got an, "oh, hell no" from both of them. 

Hasn't even driven it yet.  Has no interest in doing so. She's happy I like my car. We put a LOT of miles on it, 'cause no gas. But she truly couldn't care less. It's just a car.  My daughter, however, loves it.  Mostly because her friends think it's cool. It's a win.  I'll take it.

I think you have to be a person for whom the journey >>>> the destination to feel good about taking it on a trip.  That is NOT us if we're driving somewhere.  We stop when we need gas.  You use the bathroom, grab some food, and we're back in the car.  As few stops as possible and get there asap.  For people who have driven that way for 20+ years, the idea of jumping off the interstate and hanging out for an hour - twice - is not appealing.

I suggested taking it to San Diego. I thought at least my daughter would be on my side.  I basically got an, "oh, hell no" from both of them. 
All that said, this isn't why I bought it.  It's a commuter car.  I put 70+ miles on it every day if I just go straight to work and straight home, which pretty much never happens.  Around 16k miles in 9 months now.

It's really not a big deal I've found.  You are generally not at a Supercharger for an hour, if you time it a bit with a lunch stop it's really not bad at all.  If anything I've found that I have to run back out and move it so that I don't get idle fees.

Granted, I have not taken it from Virginia to Michigan yet.  It isn't really the charging stops that stop me, it's that the quickest route doesn't have convenient Superchargers.  If the 89/90 toll road had a couple of SuperChargers at their rest stops it would be no problem at all.

It's really not a big deal I've found.  You are generally not at a Supercharger for an hour, if you time it a bit with a lunch stop it's really not bad at all.  If anything I've found that I have to run back out and move it so that I don't get idle fees.
You have more range than I have.  If it was a single stop we could time with food, I think I could get them there.  It's at least a second between here and there.  And that's easily our most frequent trip by car.

I still don't think I would go the 3 over the S, though.  I just might have held out until I found an 85/90 I could make work.  Still less range than yours, but the little boost would be nice.  

Mrs. Worm has told me no less than 3 times: "If you want a Tesla, get one."

If only it were that simple!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's interesting.  Looked through existing inventory for the S. Prices definitely up from when I bought mine.  60s with more miles and similar builds selling for more than I bought my 70.

If you weren't recreating The Brady Bunch it would be!!
Problems I have to solve:

1. Driveway space. Just got a quote to expand it. Need to fit 4 cars, with the one garaged car (read: new Tesla) able to get out without moving the others. 

2. Back seat space. Right now the Model 3 would be *tight* with the twins in booster seats and the 10 year old in between them. Another year or so and they will be big enough to ditch the seats. Then the three of them would be plenty comfortable in the back seat of a 3 (or Y) for the short-ish trips in which they would ride in the Tesla. We would get an older 3 row SUV for when there were 6+ of us.

3. Disposable cash. Have some for a down payment but other up front costs I need to come up with include charger installation and cheap replacement SUV.

It's technically doable all right now, but some PITA issues would be in the way for a while.

They have a Tesla Model 3 at the Minnesota state fair. It was swarmed with people looking at it as sitting in it. I sat in the back seat. It was decently roomy and with that glass roof...damn do I want one. 

Bob Sacamano said:
I still don't think I would go the 3 over the S, though.  I just might have held out until I found an 85/90 I could make work.  Still less range than yours, but the little boost would be nice.  
I’m still stuck in this position.  I’d use mine like you, strictly a commuter, but my round trips can be 200 in a day.  The hang up for me is the mileage the used 85d (which is the S I’d want) would have on it (30/40k) vs the new 3.  I put about 25k a year on mine, so it’s not the near term that’s the issue it’s year 4 or 5 where I’d still be making a sizable payment but have a car with 130 to 170k miles on it.  And with the lack of reliability data on the +100k/150k mile Teslas I’m feeling stuck.  

I’m still stuck in this position.  I’d use mine like you, strictly a commuter, but my round trips can be 200 in a day.  The hang up for me is the mileage the used 85d (which is the S I’d want) would have on it (30/40k) vs the new 3.  I put about 25k a year on mine, so it’s not the near term that’s the issue it’s year 4 or 5 where I’d still be making a sizable payment but have a car with 130 to 170k miles on it.  And with the lack of reliability data on the +100k/150k mile Teslas I’m feeling stuck.  
If you have a 200 mile commute I would recommend a long range 3.

Users who are viewing this thread