Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
WampusCat43

Tesla electric cars

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Worm said:

Tesla Truck reveal on Nov 21. If the truck is 6 (usable) seats like I've heard I might consider it over a 3. :oldunsure:  

I'm tuned in.  I love trucks, but have always hated putting gas in them.  I went from a full size Tundra to a Prius in 2009.  I can't justify the gas bill just to pick up pine straw or take my bike or kayak somewhere a few times a year.  

Truck is rumored to start at $50k and have a 400 mile range.  We'll know soon enough.  My guess is the $50k truck will have a 250ish range.  It will be $60k to get anything with a 400 mile range.  Just a guess though.  

The average truck in the US is $51k.  Telsa can hit a home run with this thing if the truck guys can come around to it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

I'm tuned in.  I love trucks, but have always hated putting gas in them.  I went from a full size Tundra to a Prius in 2009.  I can't justify the gas bill just to pick up pine straw or take my bike or kayak somewhere a few times a year.  

Truck is rumored to start at $50k and have a 400 mile range.  We'll know soon enough.  My guess is the $50k truck will have a 250ish range.  It will be $60k to get anything with a 400 mile range.  Just a guess though.  

The average truck in the US is $51k.  Telsa can hit a home run with this thing if the truck guys can come around to it.  

Yeah, I'm with you, and I'm not even a truck guy.

If they can deliver on the range and the acceleration... in a truck form factor... well, that puts it in another stratosphere when compared to the competition.

Edited by Worm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

I'm tuned in.  I love trucks, but have always hated putting gas in them.  I went from a full size Tundra to a Prius in 2009.  I can't justify the gas bill just to pick up pine straw or take my bike or kayak somewhere a few times a year.  

Truck is rumored to start at $50k and have a 400 mile range.  We'll know soon enough.  My guess is the $50k truck will have a 250ish range.  It will be $60k to get anything with a 400 mile range.  Just a guess though.  

The average truck in the US is $51k.  Telsa can hit a home run with this thing if the truck guys can come around to it.  

So any guess on how the driving with additional weight in a Pickup will affect the range of the battery?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dhockster said:

So any guess on how the driving with additional weight in a Pickup will affect the range of the battery?

IMO I don't think everyday cargo weight is an issue. A few hundred pounds of gear and whatnot. 

The giant box they need to check for a lot of people is going to be towing. Can the thing tow 5k+ pounds and still get 300 miles on a charge? Big question mark.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, dhockster said:

So any guess on how the driving with additional weight in a Pickup will affect the range of the battery?

I think that is going to be the key.  If they want to get the truck guys that tow their boats and what not to the lake, etc. they're going to need some good range even with a full load.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jb1020 said:

You guys seen the trick to push your software update thru?  Go to the software menu in the car and under "software update preference" tap the "advanced" button 5 times and it pulls the most recent update.  

Worked on my 3 this morning.  The one pedal driving is pretty slick.  Regen Braking is increased big time.  Definitely feels like at least 5% more power.  

Still freaking love this car.  

BTW, this did not work for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jb1020 said:

You guys seen the trick to push your software update thru?  Go to the software menu in the car and under "software update preference" tap the "advanced" button 5 times and it pulls the most recent update.  

.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

BTW, this did not work for me.

Thats odd.  Saw it on twitter this morning and gave it a shot.  I didn't see any reports of it not working.  

Model 3?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jb1020 said:

Thats odd.  Saw it on twitter this morning and gave it a shot.  I didn't see any reports of it not working.  

Model 3?  

Yep.  Clicked it 5 times.  I even put on my ruby red slippers and said "There's no one like Elon"

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

Yep.  Clicked it 5 times.  I even put on my ruby red slippers and said "There's no one like Elon"

I'm guessing you didn't worship at the alter during the SpaceX launch yesterday?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the "There is no one like Elon" must have worked.  I just got an notification on my app that there is a new software update available.  :pickle:

  • Laughing 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was a first for me. Hit up a supercharger near my office over lunch. As I was walking away from the car, I noticed 45 minutes to complete charge. Less than usual. Odd. But OK, whatever.

Got to the lunch spot and had a push notification along the lines of "high traffic supercharger. Max charge reduced to 80%. Can be overridden in app or control panel."

I assume that's just changed while plugged into that supercharger for that period pf time and then it reverts, but something to maybe keep an eye on.

Edited by Sideshow Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jb1020 said:

You guys seen the trick to push your software update thru?  Go to the software menu in the car and under "software update preference" tap the "advanced" button 5 times and it pulls the most recent update.  

Worked on my 3 this morning.  The one pedal driving is pretty slick.  Regen Braking is increased big time.  Definitely feels like at least 5% more power.  

Still freaking love this car.  

I saw that and was going to try it when I got home from work. But I already had the update icon when I left work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bit the bullet and ordered a M3D Performance.  Really looking forward to HOV privileges. 

  • Like 2
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it's my imagination but the steering seemed stiffer after the latest update.  The enhanced regen will take a little getting used to, but shouldn't take too long.  I noticed it most when I was backing up actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

Maybe it's my imagination but the steering seemed stiffer after the latest update.  The enhanced regen will take a little getting used to, but shouldn't take too long.  I noticed it most when I was backing up actually.

Yeah, having to "gas it" to back out of my driveway is different.  I didn't notice anything about steering though.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

https://www.thedrive.com/news/30955/undisguised-rivian-r1t-electric-pickup-truck-spotted-testing-in-canada

hope you guys don’t mind me mucking up the thread. Decided to wait for a pickup. I suspect Tesla wants to beat Rivian to the market

I love everything about Rivian so far.   Obviously I'm a Tesla guy, but I can't wrap my mind around buying any EV that doesn't have the Super Charging network.  I don't even rely on the SC's very much, but its nice knowing I can drive pretty much anywhere with relative ease.  

If the Rivian and the Telsa truck are comparable on price and specs I just don't see how you get the one without the nationwide network.  I could be naive based on where I live, but there are no fast charging options around here that aren't Telsa SC's. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jb1020 said:

I love everything about Rivian so far.   Obviously I'm a Tesla guy, but I can't wrap my mind around buying any EV that doesn't have the Super Charging network.  I don't even rely on the SC's very much, but its nice knowing I can drive pretty much anywhere with relative ease.  

If the Rivian and the Telsa truck are comparable on price and specs I just don't see how you get the one without the nationwide network.  I could be naive based on where I live, but there are no fast charging options around here that aren't Telsa SC's. 

This is my feeling as well.  Tesla's are great cars, but without the Super Charger network I probably would not have bought one yet.  I know there are a bunch of companies working to build charging stations and there probably will be a lot soon, until that really starts happening I would be pretty leary of buying another EV.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Foosball God said:

This is my feeling as well.  Tesla's are great cars, but without the Super Charger network I probably would not have bought one yet.  I know there are a bunch of companies working to build charging stations and there probably will be a lot soon, until that really starts happening I would be pretty leary of buying another EV.

I don't really understand why Tesla would make their charging stations not open to public, seems an easy revenue stream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, culdeus said:

I don't really understand why Tesla would make their charging stations not open to public, seems an easy revenue stream.

With the exclusivity Tesla owners have some extra piece of mind that there will be an open station when they need one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

With the exclusivity Tesla owners have some extra piece of mind that there will be an open station when they need one.

Well that seems like a capacity issue and they would welcome wider availability.  Cuts both ways.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had my first bad experience with Tesla ownership.  Could be lack of knowledge on my part...I've owned my 3 since April so I have yet to deal with cold weather.   It was about 30 and rising when we left.

Took my kid to MSU - Bama this weekend in Starkville.  Its 111 miles from my house.  I've made Starkville and back without charging 4 or 5 times without issue.  I charge up to 100% for the first time in months the night before.  The thought of having issues never crossed my mind.  

I wake up and load the car and it says fully charged at 288 miles.  It should be 310.  I've never paid much attention to the state of charge, but I've seen a lot of people on twitter talking about their AWD model topping out well under 300 miles now.  Still, 288 miles will get me there and back comfortably.  I even plug in my destination to just to reassure myself.  It said round trip would leave me with 13% charge.  

I leave with confidence.  I did have to pick up another kid that was about 10 miles out of the way.  So all in all my trip should have been less that 240 miles.  288 miles should get me there right?  

I get about 10 miles outside of town and look at the trip estimator.  In my experience the estimator usually rises, so I was expecting to see it in the 13-15% range (accounting for my 10 mile side trip), but the read out was -4%!  Told me I wouldn't be able to make the trip.   

Whats up with that??? Is that a cold weather deal?  I didn't think it was that cold...is the cold why I only got 288 miles on a full charge?   I got pretty pissed.  They finally put 2 Charge Point chargers in downtown Starkville, but I didn't want to rely on them being open on a game day.  I turned around and got the mini van.  :hot:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

Had my first bad experience with Tesla ownership.  Could be lack of knowledge on my part...I've owned my 3 since April so I have yet to deal with cold weather.   It was about 30 and rising when we left.

Took my kid to MSU - Bama this weekend in Starkville.  Its 111 miles from my house.  I've made Starkville and back without charging 4 or 5 times without issue.  I charge up to 100% for the first time in months the night before.  The thought of having issues never crossed my mind.  

I wake up and load the car and it says fully charged at 288 miles.  It should be 310.  I've never paid much attention to the state of charge, but I've seen a lot of people on twitter talking about their AWD model topping out well under 300 miles now.  Still, 288 miles will get me there and back comfortably.  I even plug in my destination to just to reassure myself.  It said round trip would leave me with 13% charge.  

I leave with confidence.  I did have to pick up another kid that was about 10 miles out of the way.  So all in all my trip should have been less that 240 miles.  288 miles should get me there right?  

I get about 10 miles outside of town and look at the trip estimator.  In my experience the estimator usually rises, so I was expecting to see it in the 13-15% range (accounting for my 10 mile side trip), but the read out was -4%!  Told me I wouldn't be able to make the trip.   

Whats up with that??? Is that a cold weather deal?  I didn't think it was that cold...is the cold why I only got 288 miles on a full charge?   I got pretty pissed.  They finally put 2 Charge Point chargers in downtown Starkville, but I didn't want to rely on them being open on a game day.  I turned around and got the mini van.  :hot:

 

That sucks.  Until charging becomes quicker and more available, EVs make a great second vehicle, but not an only vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would raise my hand for a Mach-E, but I travel over 300 miles one way 3-4 times a month.  Maybe in 2023.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jb1020 said:

Had my first bad experience with Tesla ownership.  Could be lack of knowledge on my part...I've owned my 3 since April so I have yet to deal with cold weather.   It was about 30 and rising when we left.

Took my kid to MSU - Bama this weekend in Starkville.  Its 111 miles from my house.  I've made Starkville and back without charging 4 or 5 times without issue.  I charge up to 100% for the first time in months the night before.  The thought of having issues never crossed my mind.  

I wake up and load the car and it says fully charged at 288 miles.  It should be 310.  I've never paid much attention to the state of charge, but I've seen a lot of people on twitter talking about their AWD model topping out well under 300 miles now.  Still, 288 miles will get me there and back comfortably.  I even plug in my destination to just to reassure myself.  It said round trip would leave me with 13% charge.  

I leave with confidence.  I did have to pick up another kid that was about 10 miles out of the way.  So all in all my trip should have been less that 240 miles.  288 miles should get me there right?  

I get about 10 miles outside of town and look at the trip estimator.  In my experience the estimator usually rises, so I was expecting to see it in the 13-15% range (accounting for my 10 mile side trip), but the read out was -4%!  Told me I wouldn't be able to make the trip.   

Whats up with that??? Is that a cold weather deal?  I didn't think it was that cold...is the cold why I only got 288 miles on a full charge?   I got pretty pissed.  They finally put 2 Charge Point chargers in downtown Starkville, but I didn't want to rely on them being open on a game day.  I turned around and got the mini van.  :hot:

 

That seems weird.  The cold shouldn't be that big a drain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

That seems weird.  The cold shouldn't be that big a drain.

I think it was more or less inexperience.  I've done some research the past few days and I should have waited to let the estimator level out.  Charged up and in my driveway the car was warmed and ready.  Once I got it out and ran to pick up the other kid I parked and it got cold.  Then we went straight to highway speeds of 65-70.  

I think if I had not obsessed over it and just did the trip I would have been fine.  

The past 2 mornings I've noticed my kWh the first 5-10 minutes is nearly double what I average.  Like in the 500+ range.  I guess I looked when it was in the middle of leveling out.  I've been averaging 245ish lately. It was 270 the first few months of ownership.  :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jb1020 said:

Had my first bad experience with Tesla ownership.  Could be lack of knowledge on my part...I've owned my 3 since April so I have yet to deal with cold weather.   It was about 30 and rising when we left.

Took my kid to MSU - Bama this weekend in Starkville.  Its 111 miles from my house.  I've made Starkville and back without charging 4 or 5 times without issue.  I charge up to 100% for the first time in months the night before.  The thought of having issues never crossed my mind.  

I wake up and load the car and it says fully charged at 288 miles.  It should be 310.  I've never paid much attention to the state of charge, but I've seen a lot of people on twitter talking about their AWD model topping out well under 300 miles now.  Still, 288 miles will get me there and back comfortably.  I even plug in my destination to just to reassure myself.  It said round trip would leave me with 13% charge.  

I leave with confidence.  I did have to pick up another kid that was about 10 miles out of the way.  So all in all my trip should have been less that 240 miles.  288 miles should get me there right?  

I get about 10 miles outside of town and look at the trip estimator.  In my experience the estimator usually rises, so I was expecting to see it in the 13-15% range (accounting for my 10 mile side trip), but the read out was -4%!  Told me I wouldn't be able to make the trip.   

Whats up with that??? Is that a cold weather deal?  I didn't think it was that cold...is the cold why I only got 288 miles on a full charge?   I got pretty pissed.  They finally put 2 Charge Point chargers in downtown Starkville, but I didn't want to rely on them being open on a game day.  I turned around and got the mini van.  :hot:

 

Cold temps are pretty hard on the cells.  Model 3 cells are a little different chemistry than sx.  They may be less conditioned for cold.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've had colder than usual (for the season) temps recently and I've seen a noticeable drop in range and additional vampire drain overnight. Apparently the battery needs heating, even when idle and the cabin heater is all electric. I'm planning to be very conservative with range until I know what to expect. This was with temps below 20, which will be normal in a few months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ive seen poor range initially when its cold, but it tends to average out the longer the trip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So where would one go to watch this reveal tomorrow?  Does it stream somewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been fairly cold around DC but I haven't noticed much of any range degradation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2019 at 8:17 AM, Foosball God said:

That seems weird.  The cold shouldn't be that big a drain.

Made the same trip yesterday for a business lunch.  Car charged up to 292 miles.   It was 225 miles round trip and I got back home with 45 miles left showing.  

Go figure. 

Cannot wait to see this truck tonight. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ron Swanson said:

So where would one go to watch this reveal tomorrow?  Does it stream somewhere?

I would check on Twitter shortly before the reveal, which I think is set for 8 pm pacific

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I’m getting one. Wife just rolled her eyes when I said it’s only $100 to reserve it...so I’ll wait til the morning.  
 

still laughing about those windows though.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

😄 sorry, Tesla fans, that's one ugly looking vehicle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, eoMMan said:

😄 sorry, Tesla fans, that's one ugly looking vehicle. 

Yeah, I think what Tesla has been doing is great, but that thing looks like something from a 2003 video game that didn’t fully render.

And Elon is a genius, but as impulsive as it gets. How do you do a demo and not 100% know what the result will be or how your designs work? Those impact resistant windows didn’t fail, they worked exactly like impact resistant windows work. Well, kind of.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Specs are insane, particularly the "for the money" aspect of the $50k model.

It looks dumb but I'd drive it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.