Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
WampusCat43

Tesla electric cars

32 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

Tesla has a 10+ year head start  in the EV world and a nationwide super charging network.  Plus the FSD capabilities.   And its really ####### cool looking!  Hahaha  

I'd be willing to bet apples to apples, Tesla will be considerably cheaper than Ford.  Like 10-15%.  

This. And I really like the tilting bed with the auto bed cover.  I love the exoskeleton design concept, and that's where the relative savings comes from. And I feel like at this point Tesla gets electric vehicles in general.  I'm not sure Ford does or will. I like the fact that Tesla operates a little more like a tech company with the OTA firmware revisions. Ford and the other legacy manufacturers have blocked themselves by doing things like that by their dealer structure.  No way Ford can get away with doing OTA updates. Their dealers will fight them tooth and nail.  They want the vehicles coming in to the dealerships for updates if they even offer them.  Look at GM with the Hummer.  They're hamstrung by the dealers. One of the biggest benefits of electric vehicles is they really do reduce service requirements and render local dealers somewhat obsolete.

• Like 1

The videos of this new FSD are a little wild.  

5 hours ago, culdeus said:

The videos of this new FSD are a little wild.  

Free #### Day?  

10 hours ago, jb1020 said:

Put my deposit down on a Cybertruck.  I love this Tacoma I got, but miss the hell out of a Tesla.  Figured this would be a match made in heaven for me.  

What pushed me over the edge is the price increase on the FSD.  It goes up from $8k to $10k tonight, supposedly.  Elon says it will only continue to go up.  By the time the truck is ready it could be a $15k option, if not more.  

The Massive size still concerns me, but if it drives itself what’s to worry about?? Ha

So if you’re considering I’d go ahead and reserve today and lock in the price.  It’s totally refundable and only $100.

I'd wager on the side of FSD coming down in price.  Hardly anyone buying in this thread has anted up for it and most of the cars I see for sale don't have it.  I don't see how raising the price will entice more people into paying.  I suspect at some point they'll offer it at a reduced cost to pick up the revenue they are missing out on.

10 hours ago, BassNBrew said:

I'd wager on the side of FSD coming down in price.  Hardly anyone buying in this thread has anted up for it and most of the cars I see for sale don't have it.  I don't see how raising the price will entice more people into paying.  I suspect at some point they'll offer it at a reduced cost to pick up the revenue they are missing out on.

I can totally see that happening as well.  If that's the case I'll just cancel my reservation.  

When I had my 3 I believe it was $4,000 to upgrade to FSD.  I didn't have AP at the time so that would have been another $3k.  I was never interested.  Thats about when Elon said the price will only go up and in 18-20 month or so its steadily been raised to $6k, then $8k now $10k.  

If the price is $15k when the truck finally gets here, I got some instant equity.   $100 down now is the safest bet I've ever made.  

24 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

I can totally see that happening as well.  If that's the case I'll just cancel my reservation.  

When I had my 3 I believe it was $4,000 to upgrade to FSD.  I didn't have AP at the time so that would have been another $3k.  I was never interested.  Thats about when Elon said the price will only go up and in 18-20 month or so its steadily been raised to $6k, then $8k now $10k.  

If the price is $15k when the truck finally gets here, I got some instant equity.   $100 down now is the safest bet I've ever made.  

Does your preorder show the price? I put $100 down back when they first accepted orders but my agreement doesn’t have a price. 

27 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

Outstanding bet on your part.  My point was that there is a ceiling for FSD.  Those that paid $4000 have basically gotten nothing for it and are halfway through the life cycle of their vehicle.  I'm not a fan of paying for future technology on a depreciating asset.  

I was all set to pull the trigger on something last year, but the upgrades in the pipeline and the falling gas prices made it worthwhile to me to wait a year or two.

3 minutes ago, East Coast Bias said:

Does your preorder show the price? I put $100 down back when they first accepted orders but my agreement doesn’t have a price. 

No, but when you make the selection on the website it does say this today...yesterday it was $8k.   I guess you're right though...I don't have it anywhere in writing that says I locked it in at $8k?   Guess we just trust them on this?  

$10,000

Selecting Full Self-Driving today will secure your price as it increases in the future.

9 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

Outstanding bet on your part.  My point was that there is a ceiling for FSD.  Those that paid $4000 have basically gotten nothing for it and are halfway through the life cycle of their vehicle.  I'm not a fan of paying for future technology on a depreciating asset.  

I was all set to pull the trigger on something last year, but the upgrades in the pipeline and the falling gas prices made it worthwhile to me to wait a year or two.

This is why I haven't bought it.  It will be years before that functionality is worth it and I'll be ready for a new car by then, plus there will just continue to be computer hardware upgrades during that time.  I'll let others foot the bill to fund the research phase.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

This is why I haven't bought it. It will be years before that functionality is worth it and I'll be ready for a new car by then, plus there will just continue to be computer hardware upgrades during that time.  I'll let others foot the bill to fund the research phase.

This is where your justification for price increases will come. At the point your car is actually able to drive you around, there's a price tag to hang on that, and it's probably higher than the speculative price right now.

11 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

This is where your justification for price increases will come. At the point your car is actually able to drive you around, there's a price tag to hang on that, and it's probably higher than the speculative price right now.

At that time my paint is faded and battery is on it's last legs.  I also have a 250 range when the standard is 500 mi.  I'd rather pay 10k for something I'm going to use for 10 years than 6k for something I get 5 years out of.

10 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

At that time my paint is faded and battery is on it's last legs. I also have a 250 range when the standard is 500 mi.  I'd rather pay 10k for something I'm going to use for 10 years than 6k for something I get 5 years out of.

I'm agreeing with you. 

But the bold is likely to be a problem no matter when you buy.  I have to think battery tech is just going to keep getting better and better. You're probably not going to own a car with 500 mile range and have 1k be the standard, but 5 years out it'll almost definitely be higher than when you bought.

I have a '15 S. Yes, it sucks to have 230 miles of range rather than 500. It's not likely to change how long I keep the car. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. It just means I have to have a second that has longer range, which would be the case either way.

11 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

I'm agreeing with you. 

But the bold is likely to be a problem no matter when you buy.  I have to think battery tech is just going to keep getting better and better. You're probably not going to own a car with 500 mile range and have 1k be the standard, but 5 years out it'll almost definitely be higher than when you bought.

I have a '15 S. Yes, it sucks to have 230 miles of range rather than 500. It's not likely to change how long I keep the car. I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. It just means I have to have a second that has longer range, which would be the case either way.

I think you hit a pretty good sweet spot with your buy.  I would have pulled the trigger last year but gas prices dropping from $3.25 to $1.75 wiped away the savings I was looking at to help make the payment.

42 minutes ago, Sideshow Bob said:

Right, but I'll be more willing to pay a higher price for something that works than pay a lower price for something that doesn't work and may still require me to get hardware upgrades when it does finally work.

4 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

Right, but I'll be more willing to pay a higher price for something that works than pay a lower price for something that doesn't work and may still require me to get hardware upgrades when it does finally work.

Agree 100%. I ended up with Autopilot because it was one of the features on the car I happened to want to buy. It was not one of the features I required when I started looking. It doesn't do much for me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BassNBrew said:

I think you hit a pretty good sweet spot with your buy. I would have pulled the trigger last year but gas prices dropping from $3.25 to $1.75 wiped away the savings I was looking at to help make the payment.

I'm not sure. I have range envy. But for me it was as much about commute time as anything. At the time I was commuting 70+ miles/day. An EV got me access to the HOV lane, which on average probably saved me 15 minutes each way. I calculated that car to be within $10k of my alternative. At some point, my time is worth that.

And gods it's fun to drive.

Not a bad buy right there, actually, with that mileage. 259mi range

2016 Model S

75D

23,118 mile odometer

Las Vegas, NV

$44,600

I bought the FSD at $8k mostly due to my wife having to relearn how to drive after a medical issue, but I do have a little buyer's remorse.  I think $10k is top of market for FSD.  If I had to choose to buy FSD or air conditioning in the car for $10k, no question it is the AC.   If I was going to Uber or rent my car out as a taxi service, then FSD could be a huge benefit. But that is not me.

The really cool thing is that Chevrolet has now confirmed that it will sell a crate electric powertrain to the aftermarket the same way it sells crate internal combustion engines.

"Minutes after Chevrolet showed the E-10 concept [in 2019], customers started calling to ask how soon they could build their EV project," said Russ O’Blenes, Chevrolet director of engineering, Performance and Racing. "The K5 Blazer-E demonstrates what is possible for customers who want to convert their vintage truck to a daily driver with the instant torque and unique driving experience of an EV. For customers who want more extreme performance, the modular eCrate system will have virtually limitless applications."

The Electric Connect and Cruise package goes on sale in the second half of 2021 and includes a Bolt EV motor, battery pack, DC-to-AC inverter, a DC-to-DC converter, wiring harnesses, controllers, and water pumps for battery heating and cooling. It's also putting together a certification program for installers, beginning with Lingenfelter Performance Engineering—builder of wild Corvettes—in Michigan

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/10/chevrolet-readies-an-electric-crate-motor-for-homebuilt-ev-hotrods/

Tesla may have a head start, but other manufacturers will catch up pretty quick.

Edited by MTskibum

10k is crazy for an option like this.  If it was a lifetime purchase, then it makes (some) sense.  Meaning the software follows you to your next Tesla, but they are disabling it.

I'd also like to see how the insurance companies pay out on a totaled car with this option, you could see them not paying it out at full price but depreciated price even though the resale value is 0.

12 minutes ago, culdeus said:

10k is crazy for an option like this.  If it was a lifetime purchase, then it makes (some) sense.  Meaning the software follows you to your next Tesla, but they are disabling it.

I'd also like to see how the insurance companies pay out on a totaled car with this option, you could see them not paying it out at full price but depreciated price even though the resale value is 0.

Its accounted for in the value of the car when its totaled, unfortunately I know.  

They don't disable it either, its sticks with the Car for life.  

There is talk of a subscription service for the FSD one day.  That make sense.  Will be really high though. 

5 minutes ago, jb1020 said:

Its accounted for in the value of the car when its totaled, unfortunately I know.  

They don't disable it either, its sticks with the Car for life.  

There is talk of a subscription service for the FSD one day.  That make sense.  Will be really high though. 

FSD monthly subscriptions are supposed to go live next year.

Also, nowhere near set in stone, but on the last conference call they said they would consider allowing you to transfer your FSD subscription to a new Tesla (for a fee).

Edited by Dragons

Going to take a look at this one today, it's pretty low miles, so low it's a little suspicious.  Looks like from car fax it was in Manhattan perhaps for a couple years, then bounced around at auction.  Anything I should look for specifically?

https://www.earthmotorcars.com/used/Tesla/2017-Tesla-Model+S-for-sale-dallas-fort-worth-texas-bebd1d700a0e0ae706926f419e760972.htm

16 minutes ago, culdeus said:

Going to take a look at this one today, it's pretty low miles, so low it's a little suspicious.  Looks like from car fax it was in Manhattan perhaps for a couple years, then bounced around at auction.  Anything I should look for specifically?

https://www.earthmotorcars.com/used/Tesla/2017-Tesla-Model+S-for-sale-dallas-fort-worth-texas-bebd1d700a0e0ae706926f419e760972.htm

Looks like Tesla itself has better prices for a 2017 75D.  The difference between 8k and 20k mileage is nothing, but it's looking like an average of 5k less on the Tesla site.  If you still decide to go look at this, make sure you check the car itself for what software options it has.

18 minutes ago, Foosball God said:

Looks like Tesla itself has better prices for a 2017 75D.  The difference between 8k and 20k mileage is nothing, but it's looking like an average of 5k less on the Tesla site.  If you still decide to go look at this, make sure you check the car itself for what software options it has.

The one here has 4k in installed software options, I assume the EAP package at some point was 4k, they say it can go to FSD for 4k.  I need to do homework on whether this is correct.

The one on CPO site that I'm looking at is this, but there are no actual pictures yet. Usually if they have no actual pictures it means it's already sold.

https://www.tesla.com/used/5YJSA1E24HF190355?token=$2y$10$xjHdB3jF1Iq8Y3jB7UhU8Ol6Q.3DOq8EogvqWwchlDplRuusNSEle&postal=75080&coord=32.9636,-96.7468&redirect=no