What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

David Ortiz = :moneybag: (1 Viewer)

I was watching the 9th inning because I knew he would hit the walkoff HR. Its almost boring now. Its unbelievable how clutch this guy is. Ive never seen anything like this in the history of sports (besides Jordan). I felt like I was watching a movie cuz I just knew hed hit a HR.

Flabbergasted. The announcers were talking about him the 1/2 inning earlier and up until the point that he hit it out. Absolutely flabbergasted.

I think you gotta walk him in the 9th inning regardless of the situation. Sure its unconvential but hes proven hell beat your ### more often.

I think you gotta walk him in the 9th inning regardless of the situation. Sure its unconvential but hes proven hell beat your ### more often.
Tonight it would have put the tying run in scoring position with Manny coming up. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would still probably pitch to Ortiz.

Well if nothing else, you could advise your 'closer' not to groove him a 97-mph meatball. That might help too.

Tonight it would have put the tying run in scoring position with Manny coming up. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would still probably pitch to Ortiz.
I know thats why its unconvential but great players take different strategies.

Well if nothing else, you could advise your 'closer' not to groove him a 97-mph meatball. That might help too.
I know it was the first strike he threw, but the replay with color trails showed it was on the low outside corner. And at 97mph? ****, he's good.

I know it was the first strike he threw, but the replay with color trails showed it was on the low outside corner. And at 97mph? ****, he's good.
Looked like it caught a lot of the middle to me. Could be wrong there. :shrug:

Baseball Tonight just called it a 97mph tee ball. :shrug:

Ortiz has a huge hole up and in (ARod actually has the same hole). Its amazing more major leaguers cant hit that spot.

Baseball Tonight just called it a 97mph tee ball. :shrug:
Just saw it again. Looked pretty fat to me. :shrug:

Ortiz has a huge hole up and in (ARod actually has the same hole). Its amazing more major leaguers cant hit that spot.
I feel like you just left a 97mph meatball over the middle of the plate for me, but this is too easy.

shadyridr said:
According to an interview with Mariano Rivera, he thinks Ortiz closed that particular hole in his swing.

Capella said:
Agree about the 'closer' part. Dude's 22 years old and has been thrown into the lion's den. Nice 'Welcome to the Majors' greeting by Papi last night.

My only complaint about the guy is this : HOW ABOUT LETTING MANNY HIT A COUPLE!?!?!?!? I mean, c'mon, I need to get 1 or 2 more HR's a week here and Papi is stealing all of Manny's opportunities.

Cool stats:

Here are all of Ortiz's ABs this year with a chance to win the game in one swing, and their outcome:

Date Need to Win Papi Pitcher6/11 HR HR Otsuka6/24 2B HR Gordon6/26 HR 4-1 Cormier6/26 1B IBB Gordon6/26 1B 1B Condrey7/29 1B IBB Rodriguex, Fr.7/29 1B 1B Romero7/31 HR HR CarmonaAnd from espn.comDavid Ortiz has hit 21 home runs in 138 at-bats in Late-Inning Pressure Situations since Aug. 1, 2004. Over that two-year period, no other player has hit more than 13 homers in LIPS. Ryan Howard ranks second with 13; Andruw Jones, Albert Pujols, and Aramis Ramirez share third place with 12.

Users who are viewing this thread