What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

1 Page PRINTABLE NFL Depth Chart - Automated Update (1 Viewer)

Arbitrator

Footballguy
I am as big of a fan of the Draft Dominator as there is, and I always use it to get a general idea as to the value of players that I am considering drafting. It is truly a remarkable program that does a lot more than any program that I can offer, but I can do a little better in the latter rounds. The trouble with using the Dominator, VBD, or any other cheat sheets is that they will all suggest not using them after the first few rounds. What I suggest is that you simply use a depth chart for every position player for every NFL team as a guide to show you who is available. The problem with that last statement is that trying to get a depth chart that is A) printable and B) comprehensive is impossible to find. Finding a depth chart that is printable is quite a feat in and of itself, but when they are found, they NEVER have all of the information on one page. In fact, it is a miracle if they can even get one team on a page. Footballguys is as guilty as not meeting the need in this area as everyone else. The comprehensive part is also difficult to overcome as we all know that some coaches are not 100% truthful in their reporting to the media their depth chart. This is where my simple little program fills the void. I count on Footballguys to do the research and decipher the coaches’ depth charts and I have developed a visual basic code that will make all of this data fit on one screen and be legible.

The big advantage that having this one sheet of paper to use to draft from is that you can literally see #1 WRs or #2 RBs slip through the cracks while owners are drafting players that they targeted prior to the draft without regard to who has been drafted or who they have on their roster. Why bother doing projections yourself when they are little better than a guess when you can use the depth chart to trust the system? I have seen one owner actually draft three QBs with the exact same bye week in a start 2 league. The sheet also allows you to draft players that are in good systems with the potential to succeed. As you know, high performance from a fantasy perspective is a combination of ability and opportunity and this sheet helps show the players that have the best opportunity based on offensive system. The best example that I can give from my personal draft was when I drafted Michael Clayton two years ago in the second to last round because he was listed as the #1 WR in Tampa. A very similar thing happened the prior year when I drafted Donald Driver very late in the draft only because he was the #1 WR in Green Bay. I can not think of a great example from last year but I did finish second in my lesser league and finished third in my big money league. Having a successful draft with minimal preparation is key to having a good season for me. Efficiency is a beautiful thing.

I have always manually typed the one page depth chart up prior to this year and always offered it to the message board community with many people taking me up on it. I know how much it helps me and I hope that others can take advantage of it as well. There may certainly be bugs remaining in the code and I am sure that a true “programmer” could do a much better job at this, but the fact is that I have searched the internet up and down and can not find anything that even remotely satisfies my need for a one page printout. This is the first revision of the automated update, but it has worked for me when I have tested in the past few weeks.

The program works like this:

1. Macros must be enabled

2. The sheet will open to the ‘2006 Printable’ tab

3. Press the update button for the Macro to go to the internet and get the latest depth chart from Footballguys (Internet connection required)

4. Click Enter when it asks to replace the cell contents

5. Press the “Make Data Printable” button to update the 1 page sheet

6. Click enter when it asks to replace cell contents (there are several times this is asked at this point)

7. The 1-page sheet is updated and ready to print

8. Have a great season, guy.

I hope my little contribution to the fantasy football world is a helpful one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless i am missing it somewhere, I need your email addresses in order to send the attachment. I have gotten 10 requests and I only have 2 email addresses.

I promise you won't be getting any spam from FFTOC or anyone else if you send it my way. :D

The Macros are safe BTW....

To be honest with everyone, I am a little overwhelmed with requests here. I think that I am up to date as of right now. We may want to let this first group test this and make sure that the Macro transfers and that it works before everyone gets it and it doesn't work......

I will keep sending the file as long as I can keep up. Please post here if you have any issues with the code and I will try and get a fix in.

Send it to a Mod (like me) and I'll see about making it available.What kind of file is it?
I sent him a PM too. I'll embed it in the first post so folks can download it right here.
I have sent the file to Shick!. I think I have also answered all PMs as of now. First reports are that it has worked for all who have reported back thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm...the sheet looks very cool and definitely would be very handy. My problem is when I go to update the depth chart fromt he web (macros are enabled) I get "Run-time Error '1004'", Application Defined or Object Defined Error"

Any ideas for this Excel neophyte??

Nice work Jon...now what would it take to add IDP's to this?
I have gotten a couple of requests for this and I will add it as time permits. I did not do it to the original file as I was unsure if this was even going to work. I will see if I can get something going and I will let you know.

Hmmm...the sheet looks very cool and definitely would be very handy. My problem is when I go to update the depth chart fromt he web (macros are enabled) I get "Run-time Error '1004'", Application Defined or Object Defined Error"Any ideas for this Excel neophyte??
I am unsure on this. This is the first year that I ventured into updating from the web using a macro, so I do not have much experience. I usually use wilked when I am having an Excel issue. He hangs out in the FFA if you want to shoot him a PM on this.

I am still sending emails until it gets embedded (if it gets embedded). If you are interested in getting this today, please shoot me a PM with your email within the next hour as I will be going home then and won't check back until morning.

:banned:

Wow, just got mine.

It updates automatically from the FBG website. I was thinking I would have to do the updates by hand. This is tight bro.

Very well done. Very well done.

:banned: to you

Be warned that this is not a robust program, If Joe and Co. make formatting changes to the depth chart that they provide, the code will have to be re-written accordingly. Like I said, a true programmer could have probably done a much better job than I did.

Hopefully, format changes won't be made between now and the start of the season, but just in case, I would print out a sheet today so you at least have something in hand if that does happen.

Hmmm...the sheet looks very cool and definitely would be very handy. My problem is when I go to update the depth chart fromt he web (macros are enabled) I get "Run-time Error '1004'", Application Defined or Object Defined Error"Any ideas for this Excel neophyte??
I believe a 1004 error indicates that Excel is not able to access the Internet. You perhaps have a firewall preventing this, so try setting the firewall to give Excel access to the Internet, or disable the firewall temporarily, run the macro and then turn the firewall back on.

I believe a 1004 error indicates that Excel is not able to access the Internet. You perhaps have a firewall preventing this, so try setting the firewall to give Excel access to the Internet, or disable the firewall temporarily, run the macro and then turn the firewall back on.
Ok thanks! That would make sense since I'm at work, but it looked like it was connecting and failing upon trying to write the data. I'll try it when I get home to compare...

Nice..............I usually just update my own depth chart on Excel in the preseason and then make last minute changes the day of the draft (having to type it up helps me remember everything better than just glancing at a page from some website)

I'm an advanced Excel user myself, but I gotta say that I'm not THIS advanced.

Curious how you did this? (is it simply writing the 2 macros I saw or more complicated than that?)

How did you learn to do this auto update from a website? (course?)

And how long did it take you? (hrs?)

I'm always trying to expand my Excel skilz and updating them doing Fantasy Football stuff is a HECK of lot more interesting than some of my work schedules.

File works very well. However, if I may, I have one suggestion. would you mind using a brighter yellow? It prints as a much better shade of grade on a B&W printer? Is this something we can do? I was afraid to mess with it and screw up the programming.

Anyway, great effort! Thanks! :banned:

This is an awesome thing to have and Thanks go out.

One minor thing for me. I am getting that 1004 error and I dont know one thing about excel. Someone said to turn the firewall off. How do you do that. Like I said, I am not the most advanced at excel and firewalls. Thanks in advance and Thanks to arbitrator

Very nice work Arb, and thanks Shick for getting the zip set up.

The talent on this board, and the FBG site in general, is a wonderous thing :bow:

Users who are viewing this thread