What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Browns trade RB Suggs to Jets (1 Viewer)

Transactions for my last dynasty roster spot in 2006.

Last round of restocking draft. Drafted William Green (insurance for Droughns).

WW: drop William Green, add Eric Parker

WW: drop Eric Parker, add Lee Suggs

William Green subsequently added by another team.

Back to the drawing board.... :bag:

:loco:

I say hold for now. Too early of a sell, not enough trust with his injury history and those games in late 2004 are a distant memory for many folks. Need him to look sharp in camp and have a nice pre-season game or two.
:goodposting:
Agree. As a Suggs owner in two dynasty leagues I would fully expect that if I actively pursued trades with regard to Suggs, I would only get lowball offers. However, if Suggs goes off in a preseason game, I would expect reasonable offers to start pouring in.
Let me start off the reasonable offers with a wooden nickel and a bolgna sandwich. And once again George Jefferson is right.

Jets could still deal for another running back

Associated Press

8/15/2006

Jets HC Eric Mangini also declined to give a timetable for RB Curtis Martin's return, and said the Lee Suggs trade had no bearing on the future of the running back.

``We were looking at it as an opportunity to improve the competition at the position,'' Mangini said. ``Our goal is to increase competition and to make our team that much more competitive and improve the team where we can.''

He also didn't rule out future deals to bring in another running back.

``It's fair to assume that there could be a lot of moves,'' Mangini said. ``The moves are going to be predicated on the opportunities, and the opportunities are going to based on whether that move can improve the team.''

``It's fair to assume that there could be a lot of moves,'' Mangini said. ``The moves are going to be predicated on the opportunities, and the opportunities are going to based on whether that move can improve the team.''
Any questions? :loco:

Now that Suggs has failed his physical and the trade is VOID, I wonder who the Jets will go after next. Chris Brown anyone?

Any questions? :loco:
Coach Mangini: Now, before I begin this press conference, will those of you who are playing in the game this weekend move your uniforms down onto the lower peg immediately after lunch, before you write your letter home, if you're not getting your hair cut, unless you've got a younger brother who is going out this weekend as the guest of another boy, in which case, collect his note before lunch, put it in your letter after you've had your hair cut, and make sure he moves your clothes down onto the lower peg for you. Now... Derrick Strait: Coach?

Coach Mangini: Yes?

Derrick Strait: My younger brother's going out with Dibble this weekend, sir, but I'm not having my hair cut today, sir.

[chuckling] Reporters:

Derrick Strait: So, do I move my clothes down, or...

Coach Mangini: I do wish you'd listen, Strait. It's perfectly simple. If you're not getting your hair cut, you don't have to move your brother's clothes down to the lower peg. You simply collect his note before lunch, after you've done your scripture prep, when you've written your letter home, before rest, move your own clothes onto the lower peg, greet the visitors, and report to Coach Brown that you've had your chit signed.

I say hold for now. Too early of a sell, not enough trust with his injury history and those games in late 2004 are a distant memory for many folks. Need him to look sharp in camp and have a nice pre-season game or two.
:goodposting:
Agree. As a Suggs owner in two dynasty leagues I would fully expect that if I actively pursued trades with regard to Suggs, I would only get lowball offers. However, if Suggs goes off in a preseason game, I would expect reasonable offers to start pouring in.
Let me start off the reasonable offers with a wooden nickel and a bolgna sandwich. And once again George Jefferson is right.
Let's just say I'd take less in trade for Suggs today then I would have yesterday.

Anybody heard the actual reason for why Suggs failed?
Thats what I want to know.If he had an obvious problem, the Browns whould not have watsed everyones time. It must be something they either thought would slip past the Jets, the Jets woudln't care, or the Browns did not know about.

You have 2 weeks to pick up Artose Pinner before the Jets give up a 6th for him.

Flintownbob1: Does it seem possible for the Lions to trade Pinner?

TomKowalski: I THINK THEY WERE SHOWCASING PINNER A LITTLE BIT ... LET PEOPLE SEE HIM PLAY A LITTLE ... I THINK THERE'S A GOOD CHANCE THEY'LL TRADE HIM, BUT THEY'LL WANT TO WAIT AS LONG AS POSSIBLE ...
Mlive.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what I want to know.If he had an obvious problem, the Browns whould not have watsed everyones time. It must be something they either thought would slip past the Jets, the Jets woudln't care, or the Browns did not know about.
Can't wait to see him play again this preseason on Friday. Showcase his talents some more to the Jets.

Also, do the Browns have the right to find out why he failed if the Jets do not release it to the press? I'm sure things will leak though.

If the Browns continue to try and move Suggs/Green for a CB or Center, then getting that out there if it was a picky thing (from the Browns perspective and not the Jets) would be important.

It seems there's some latitude as to whether a physical is passed or failed. Obviously, CPep wasn't able to show he had a healthy knee when he went to Miami, but they got him knowing his status. Since the new team's own medical staff performs the physical, I wonder if a team that gets a case of buyer's remorse could pretty easily decide to find a reason to fail a guy.

From KFFL:

Browns | Savage comments on Suggs

Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:44:22 -0700

Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage released a statement Tuesday, Aug. 15, on the state of RB Lee Suggs, who returned to the team after failing his physical with the New York Jets. "The parameters of the trade between the Jets and the Browns were that each player had to pass a physical. Both players have had injuries during their careers and unfortunately it didn't work out. This spring Lee Suggs has participated in every mini-camp practice and all of our OTA's. He has also participated in every practice during training camp and played in our first preseason game at Philadelphia last week (Aug.10). Medical opinions can vary from team to team, and obviously this is one team's opinion. We anticipate Lee Suggs returning to the Browns and working hard in practice and preparing for the season to the best of his ability, just as he has shown throughout his career with the Browns."

In a standard trade, the language of the agreement gives each team the right to void if a player doesn't pass his physical. Physicals are non-standard though, so each team has its own criteria. In deals where a player is injured, a team usually gets the right to examine the player in question prior to approving a deal.

Jedeye said:
Maybe one of the JAX RBs next. They seem to be loaded.
I was thinking the same thing - Toefield, specifically.
Thats what crossed my mind as well. But what would the Jets give up? Draft Picks?Toefield is going to be a UFA at the end of the season IIRC, thats probably why theve been showcasing him lately. But the price will have to be high for Toe. With only a matter of time before Taylor calls it a career, the Jags will likely employ the RBBC (Jones/Drew) system upon his injury/departure. Pearman fills Drew's role in case of injury and Toefield would likely start in Jones' place. The Jags also have to make a decision whether first to keep Toefield or Pearman or both.

Jedeye said:
Maybe one of the JAX RBs next. They seem to be loaded.
I was thinking the same thing - Toefield, specifically.
Thats what crossed my mind as well. But what would the Jets give up? Draft Picks?Toefield is going to be a UFA at the end of the season IIRC, thats probably why theve been showcasing him lately.

But the price will have to be high for Toe. With only a matter of time before Taylor calls it a career, the Jags will likely employ the RBBC (Jones/Drew) system upon his injury/departure. Pearman fills Drew's role in case of injury and Toefield would likely start in Jones' place. The Jags also have to make a decision whether first to keep Toefield or Pearman or both.
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stor...g_4316890.shtml"Fred Taylor and Greg Jones are the starters. Derrick Wimbush is a backup fullback who can return kicks, and Drew is a lock to make the team because he's a high draft pick.

"Two other backs on the roster - Rich Alexis, who has spent much of the past two years on the practice squad, and undrafted rookie Montell Owens - are long shots.

"That likely leaves Toefield and Alvin Pearman in a musical-chairs battle for the last spot when the music of the preseason ends. Both were drafted in the fourth round - Toefield in 2003 and Pearman in 2005."

This is really making sense to me - they're likely to cut the guy, anyway - why not get something for him? If Toefield doesn't work out, the Jets can jetison him w/o much harm after the season. But he's shown some flashes in the past and could serve as a nice stop-gap during rebuilding. I'm not sure what his contract status is - looks like he signed a 3 year deal three years ago?

At this point, Travis Henry would be a more likely trade, though the Jets probably aren't interested b/c of the suspension issue.

How about Nick Goings or Eric Shelton? Carolina seems flush with backs also.

just heard on KNR that the Jets may have had an issue with one of Suggs's knees.

they weren't specific, and it wasn't an offical report.

:shrug:

I heard that the reason that Suggs failed his physical was because the Jets got a better offer, and then it got me thinking....Suggs has looked fine in camp and there was no sign of any injury. So the best bet of failing his physical was the stenosis. The Jets knew he had it and the Browns knew he had it, so why the failed physical? Well maybe the Jets were trying to force someones hand. Maybe they were close to getting that deal for Duckett or Henry and needed a little boost to get the deal done. After all, right now in the RB market there are more sellers than buyers so if you make it look like RB is no longer a need but your still willing to deal, you may be able to get a guy by giving up a little less. Then I got to thinking that about about Mangini giving a call to a guy he used to coach with and asking him for a favor. It makes even more sense now that I think back about the first time I heard of the trade and wondered why the Browns would trade a RB (where we're deepest) for what amounts to a Dime corner and back-up safety when we have such a glaring need at center. Then I got to thinking about the Green for Fraley deal. Maybe Romeo went to Savage with this favor and Savage says to himself, "Hey we could do the same thing!" And does the temporary trade to put more pressure on Philly. I know all of this is a huge shot in the dark, but it makes more sense then what I've heard so far. We'll know for sure if we see trades by both the Browns and the Jets in the next couple of days.You may all flame me now, but stranger things have happened in the NFL. I'm just liking the taste of the conspiracy kool-aid.

I heard that the reason that Suggs failed his physical was because the Jets got a better offer, and then it got me thinking....Suggs has looked fine in camp and there was no sign of any injury. So the best bet of failing his physical was the stenosis. The Jets knew he had it and the Browns knew he had it, so why the failed physical? Well maybe the Jets were trying to force someones hand. Maybe they were close to getting that deal for Duckett or Henry and needed a little boost to get the deal done. After all, right now in the RB market there are more sellers than buyers so if you make it look like RB is no longer a need but your still willing to deal, you may be able to get a guy by giving up a little less. Then I got to thinking that about about Mangini giving a call to a guy he used to coach with and asking him for a favor. It makes even more sense now that I think back about the first time I heard of the trade and wondered why the Browns would trade a RB (where we're deepest) for what amounts to a Dime corner and back-up safety when we have such a glaring need at center. Then I got to thinking about the Green for Fraley deal. Maybe Romeo went to Savage with this favor and Savage says to himself, "Hey we could do the same thing!" And does the temporary trade to put more pressure on Philly. I know all of this is a huge shot in the dark, but it makes more sense then what I've heard so far. We'll know for sure if we see trades by both the Browns and the Jets in the next couple of days.You may all flame me now, but stranger things have happened in the NFL. I'm just liking the taste of the conspiracy kool-aid.
Given the mad nepotism that is at work in the extremely small coaching world that is the NFL, you could concoct a conspiracy for just about any move you'd care to dwell on. When you wrote that you thought this happened because the Jets had a better deal or were trying to force someone's hand, I thought you meant that regarding other teams who might trade a RB to them which might make some sense, albeit as a serious breach of etiquette. More likely, the Jets got to hear for themselves how Suggs' knees crackle and see how narrow his spinal column was, and just decided that replacing one great-but-gimpy RB with a pretty good-but-gimpy RB just didn't make any sense.

Blogger:

August 16, 2006, 06:10 Jets, Falcons :: RBJets "Very Interested" In RB DuckettRich Cimini, New York Daily News - [Full Article]The Jets say RB Lee Suggs isn't physically fit to play football. The Jets voided the deal yesterday because of a surgically repaired knee that concerned them, according to multiple sources. The Jets, fearing that RB Curtis Martin won't be ready for the season opener because of a career-threatening knee injury, hope to make another trade in the coming days. Two prominent names on their short list are the Falcons' RB T.J. Duckett and the 49ers' RB Kevan Barlow, both more accomplished than Suggs. They're "very interested" in Duckett, a source said. The Falcons are expected to put Duckett on the trading block after this weekend's games.

I dunno, maybe. But I will say that the Browns have a definite need at CB and giving up Suggs to get one that is better than Pete Hunter is worth it. We don't know how Daylon is recovering (possibly worse than we thought) and Baxter says he'll be back by game 1, but you never know. Strait and Perkins could have held the fort down in the mean time. Suggs and Green are basically a wash and Harrison will see more field time the next two years than both of them.

Blogger:

August 16, 2006, 06:10 Jets, Falcons :: RBJets "Very Interested" In RB DuckettRich Cimini, New York Daily News - [Full Article]The Jets say RB Lee Suggs isn't physically fit to play football. The Jets voided the deal yesterday because of a surgically repaired knee that concerned them, according to multiple sources. The Jets, fearing that RB Curtis Martin won't be ready for the season opener because of a career-threatening knee injury, hope to make another trade in the coming days. Two prominent names on their short list are the Falcons' RB T.J. Duckett and the 49ers' RB Kevan Barlow, both more accomplished than Suggs. They're "very interested" in Duckett, a source said. The Falcons are expected to put Duckett on the trading block after this weekend's games.
i tried to trade Barlow the other day for a bag of stale tostitos, no dice.might be able to get a little more if he goes to the Jets. :popcorn:

At this point, Travis Henry would be a more likely trade, though the Jets probably aren't interested b/c of the suspension issue.

How about Nick Goings or Eric Shelton? Carolina seems flush with backs also.
I read somewhere that he could be cut. They're loaded at the RB position. It was speculated that he's the odd man out...

too much conspiracy koolaid IMO

Users who are viewing this thread