What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best chicken wings recipes (1 Viewer)

Shrek

Having a great season
I am looking for some new chicken wing recipes. In particular, I am really looking for a recipe that will give me a good, crisp breading over chicken wings. From there, I can toss the wings in whatever hot sauce I feel like having. My biggest hurdle, though, has been finding a good recipe and preparation directions for the breading.

As far as hot wings go, though, I can start with one that is a standby for me.

5 lbs chicken wings (approximately 25-35 wings)

2 cups habañero jelly

3 cloves garlic, minced fine

1/3 cup brown sugar

Cumin

Black pepper

Salt

Preheat oven to 375°. Line two cookie sheets with foil and spray lightly with oil. Distribute chicken wings over both sheets. Lightly dust wings with cumin, pepper, and salt. If you like them very hot, you can also sprinkle on a very light dash of chipotle powder.

Whisk together jelly, brown sugar, and garlic. Let stand until wings are done cooking.

Cook wings for approximately 50-60 minutes, or until they just begin to brown. Remove from the oven. Brush generously on one side with the jelly glaze and return to the oven for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven again, turn the wings over, and brush the remaining glaze on the other side of the wings. Return to the oven for 10 more minutes. Remove the wings and they're ready to eat.

No need to get fancy here..

70% Red Hot / Louisiana / Whatever Hot sauce you prefer

30% Butter

Toss

Last edited by a moderator:
' date='Aug 22 2006, 11:31 AM' post='5374537']No need to get fancy here.. 70% Red Hot / Louisiana / Whatever Hot sauce you prefer30% ButterToss
:goodposting: Although I add a teaspoon of white vinegar and a dash of garlic powder.As far as breading a simple flour +salt mixture works for me.

' date='Aug 22 2006, 10:31 AM' post='5374537']No need to get fancy here.. 70% Red Hot / Louisiana / Whatever Hot sauce you prefer30% ButterToss
I use this with Frank's Hot Sauce. This is another easy and delicious one. :thumbup: :thumbup:

' date='Aug 22 2006, 10:31 AM' post='5374537']No need to get fancy here.. 70% Red Hot / Louisiana / Whatever Hot sauce you prefer30% ButterToss
Do you then just bake them at 350 for an hour?

I want to hear about more crispy wing recipes. I've done the hot sauce and butter baked shtick, but it gets tired sometimes.

Are you talking about dipping them in something like bread crumbs? If so, try corn flakes - they add a bit of a sweet flavor while giving it a good crunch. It's better for boneless buffalo wings than for bone-in wings.

Who the hell is talking about BAKING wings?

YOu don't bake chicken wings unless you're finishing them in the fryer.

You FRY wings... deep fried... in FAT that will cause your heart to EXPLODE at 35 years old.

Then you toss them in teh juice. llo

' date='Aug 22 2006, 11:31 AM' post='5374537']No need to get fancy here.. 70% Red Hot / Louisiana / Whatever Hot sauce you prefer30% ButterToss
:goodposting: Although I add a teaspoon of white vinegar and a dash of garlic powder.As far as breading a simple flour +salt mixture works for me.
:goodposting: I add a few drops of Tabasco for additional heat, and that's it.

' date='Aug 22 2006, 11:49 AM' post='5374694']Who the hell is talking about BAKING wings?YOu don't bake chicken wings unless you're finishing them in the fryer. You FRY wings... deep fried... in FAT that will cause your heart to EXPLODE at 35 years old.Then you toss them in the sauce.
Another :goodposting:

' date='Aug 22 2006, 11:49 AM' post='5374694']Who the hell is talking about BAKING wings?YOu don't bake chicken wings unless you're finishing them in the fryer. You FRY wings... deep fried... in FAT that will cause your heart to EXPLODE at 35 years old.Then you toss them in teh juice. llo
And then you fry them again.

Are you talking about dipping them in something like bread crumbs? If so, try corn flakes - they add a bit of a sweet flavor while giving it a good crunch. It's better for boneless buffalo wings than for bone-in wings.
Do you have a particular recipe for this? This sounds interesting.

Sauce

6 tablespoons Frank's Red Hot

1/4 cup (1/2 stick) margarine-not butter

1 tablespoon white vinegar

1/8 teaspoon celery seed

1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

1/8 teaspoon garlic salt

Dash of black pepper

1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce

1 to 2 teaspoons Tabasco sauce

The Sauce: This makes enough for about 30 "wingettes." Mix all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over low heat until the margarine is completely melted. Stir occasionally.

The Wings: Fry the wings in a deep fryer set at 375 degrees F using peanut oil. Fry 15 wings at a time for 12-15 minutes. Drain the wings for a few minutes then put them in a bowl. After all the wings have been fried, pour the sauce over them, cover the bowl, and shake to completely coat the wings.

Lastly, get beer out of fridge and enjoy.

Bread wings in: Flour, cayenne, garlic powder, black pepper, HINT of curry powder and let "rest" in the fridge for about an hour.

Deep fry wings.

Toss with sauce of your choosing (Frank's red hot +butter +whatever) and get out the napkins and the bone collection plate.

Edited to correct spelling of "black".

Do you have a particular recipe for this? This sounds interesting.
Not really. I've tried a bunch of different sauces, and all of them come out good. Buy a couple chicken breasts (buy more than you'd normally make the first time in case something comes out gross) and cut them into thin strips. Buy a couple different sauces that might be good on them - Frank's red hot is always good, teriyaki and barbecue sauces are usually pretty safe, maybe something honey mustard, or even mix two of them up to make a honey mustard/teriyaki or teriyaki/barbecue. If you've ever been to a wings place, you probably know the kinds of wings you like. Crush up some corn flakes. Dip. Bake at 350. The first time out, you should definitely experiment. It's a fun night and it's good for sharing with your significant other; I'd imagine it would be fun with kids too. Once you find a couple kinds you like, you can make them again and again.

These are different, take time to prepare but they're really good. I recommend serving them with a side order of defibrillator.

3 lbs chicken wings (16 to 18)

1 cup coarse salt, plus 2 tablespoons coarse salt

2 onions, sliced

3 cups buttermilk

2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns

1 teaspoon cayenne

2 cups vegetable shortening

1/2 cup unsalted butter

Cut off chicken wing tips or leave them. Up to you.

Arrange wings in one layer in a 9x13 inch glass baking dish and sprinkle them evenly with 1/2 cup coarse salt. Turn wings over and sprinkle with l/2 cup more salt. Chill wings for 2 hours. You could soak them overnight in a brine solution using a cup of salt and enough water to cover if you prefer.

Rinse wings in a colander under cold running water and drain.

Arrange wings in one layer in a baking dish and thinly slice onions. Arrange onions over wings and pour buttermilk over onions.

Chill wings, covered, at least 12 hours or up to one day.

Discard onions and drain wings in a colander.

Tear off an 18 inch sheet of wax paper and set aside.

In a large shallow bowl, whisk together flour, peppercorns, cayenne, and remaining 2 tablespoons salt.

Working with no more than 2 wings at a time, dredge wings evenly in flour mixture and shake off the excess.

Arrange wings with the flat sides up, a few inches apart on wax paper and let stand 15 minutes.

Get out a rack, paper bag or paper towels, and set on a baking pan for draining.

In a large fryer melt 2 cups shortening and 1/2 cup butter over high heat, just until butter begins to turn golden. Add the wings, and reduce heat to moderately high. Cook wings, covered, until deep golden, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer wings to a rack set over pan to drain.

I like chicken wings better when they are not breaded. I don't think breading is necessary for wings to taste great. I think the taste is all in the sauce. Also there isn't much chicken on a wing, and with them being breaded, it's just makes the icky skin thicker that you have to eat. You can make the original skin as crispy as you want without breading it.

First off, Chicken Wings are meant to be deep fried and only deep fried. That is all. Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. NEVER EVER baked, nor breaded. I am from upstate NY so I am very picky about my wings.

Here are a couple god recipies that I have had that are real good. Worked at a bar with some pretty kick ### wings.

Alert: we did not measure any hot suace. We used Franks Red Hot Wing sauce.

Hot(3 cups w\ red pepper)

these should be enough to coat 1 dozen deep fried wings

Hot Garlic Parm

3 Cups Franks Wing Sauce + 2 Table spoons Minced Garlic + teaspoon butter + table spoon Parmesean cheese

Big Daddy Blues

3 Cups Wing Sauce + two table spoons of blue cheese = GOLD!

I like chicken wings better when they are not breaded. I don't think breading is necessary for wings to taste great. I think the taste is all in the sauce. Also there isn't much chicken on a wing, and with them being breaded, it's just makes the icky skin thicker that you have to eat. You can make the original skin as crispy as you want without breading it.
I, and I think most MEN would agree that you could throw out the meat and give us a bucket full of breaded deep fried chicken skin smothered in hot sauce and.................wait a minute, I may be on to something here. :moneybag:

I, and I think most MEN would agree that you could throw out the meat and give us a bucket full of breaded deep fried chicken skin smothered in hot sauce and.................wait a minute, I may be on to something here. :moneybag:
I prefer the bone...well the end of the bone.

First off, Chicken Wings are meant to be deep fried and only deep fried. That is all. Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. NEVER EVER baked, nor breaded. I am from upstate NY so I am very picky about my wings.

Here are a couple god recipies that I have had that are real good. Worked at a bar with some pretty kick ### wings.

Hot Garlic Parm

3 Cups Franks Wing Sauce + 2 Table spoons Minced Garlic + teaspoon butter + table spoon Parmesean cheese

Big Daddy Blues

These sounds great. Is it also with Frank's?

We still talkin about chicken here?

N.Y. Shreks said:
harryhood said:

Hot Garlic Parm

Big Daddy Blues

yulp franks and any relatively creamy blue cheese.....toss the wings...very good and with a little bit different texture flavor

N.Y. Shreks said:
harryhood said:

Hot Garlic Parm

Big Daddy Blues

yulp franks and any relatively creamy blue cheese.....toss the wings...very good and with a little bit different texture flavor
Have you ever tried mixing in some crumbled bleu cheese with this? That sounds like it would be pretty tasty as well.

N.Y. Shreks said:
harryhood said:

Hot Garlic Parm

Big Daddy Blues

Have you ever tried mixing in some crumbled bleu cheese with this? That sounds like it would be pretty tasty as well.
judges will accept this yes. I know Ken's Brand has the cream with the chunk...that would be your best bet

TannerBoyle said:
dickey moe said:
I want to hear about more crispy wing recipes. I've done the hot sauce and butter baked shtick, but it gets tired sometimes.
The wife still :lmao: at the wings you brought to the draft last year.
I admit that was a travesty -- I vow to never repeat that mishap again.

' date='Aug 22 2006, 10:49 AM' post='5374694']Who the hell is talking about BAKING wings?YOu don't bake chicken wings unless you're finishing them in the fryer. You FRY wings... deep fried... in FAT that will cause your heart to EXPLODE at 35 years old.Then you toss them in teh juice. llo
Fry em up first, toss em in the juice, bake em for 5 min, toss em in the juice again, then serve.

Talked with my BIL last night about this. He is a professional (and very accomplished) chef. I asked him about a few things I heard in this thread, and here were his responses. He said peanut oil is good, but it's pretty expensive, and if it was him buying it, he would just go with vegetable oil because most people won't taste the difference anyway. He said he had never tried the crushed cornflakes coating before but he thought it sounded interesting.

But the one thing I really wanted to pass along was what he said was the best advice when cooking wings. He said to soak them in the refrigerator overnight in buttermilk. Then drain them and dredge them right away. He said it makes the meat more tender and better tasting, as well as making it easier to dredge them. I'm no chef, so I think I'm going to try this. I still don't know which sauces I may use, but I will at least start off with the advice about the buttermilk.

Talked with my BIL last night about this. He is a professional (and very accomplished) chef. I asked him about a few things I heard in this thread, and here were his responses. He said peanut oil is good, but it's pretty expensive, and if it was him buying it, he would just go with vegetable oil because most people won't taste the difference anyway. He said he had never tried the crushed cornflakes coating before but he thought it sounded interesting. But the one thing I really wanted to pass along was what he said was the best advice when cooking wings. He said to soak them in the refrigerator overnight in buttermilk. Then drain them and dredge them right away. He said it makes the meat more tender and better tasting, as well as making it easier to dredge them. I'm no chef, so I think I'm going to try this. I still don't know which sauces I may use, but I will at least start off with the advice about the buttermilk.
Buttermilk makes any chicken better.BTW the reason to use peanut oil does not have much to do with the flavor. It is because it has a very high smoke point so you can cook with hotter oil. The benefit of that is that whatever you are fryin absorbs less oil and crisps up quicker.Another hint regarding dredging is to let them sit for several minutes after deredging before frying.

:eek: :lmao: :lmao:

Talked with my BIL last night about this. He is a professional (and very accomplished) chef. I asked him about a few things I heard in this thread, and here were his responses. He said peanut oil is good, but it's pretty expensive, and if it was him buying it, he would just go with vegetable oil because most people won't taste the difference anyway. He said he had never tried the crushed cornflakes coating before but he thought it sounded interesting. But the one thing I really wanted to pass along was what he said was the best advice when cooking wings. He said to soak them in the refrigerator overnight in buttermilk. Then drain them and dredge them right away. He said it makes the meat more tender and better tasting, as well as making it easier to dredge them. I'm no chef, so I think I'm going to try this. I still don't know which sauces I may use, but I will at least start off with the advice about the buttermilk.
It's a great recipe.

Buttermilk makes any chicken better.BTW the reason to use peanut oil does not have much to do with the flavor. It is because it has a very high smoke point so you can cook with hotter oil. The benefit of that is that whatever you are fryin absorbs less oil and crisps up quicker.Another hint regarding dredging is to let them sit for several minutes after deredging before frying.
Yes, he said something about the flashpoint being greater with the peanut oil. He also mentioned letting the wings sit awhile after dredging them. He also said he's going to get me a recipe for something he calls mahogany wings, so when I get that, I'll put it here.

It's a great recipe.
BTW I copied the recipe you put up above to try later. Sounds good. :thumbup: I think I'm going to have to go buy an extra bag of wings now just so I can try some of these other recipes.

Yes, he said something about the flashpoint being greater with the peanut oil. He also mentioned letting the wings sit awhile after dredging them. He also said he's going to get me a recipe for something he calls mahogany wings, so when I get that, I'll put it here.
I made this Mahogany wings recipe for company, and got rave reviews. They were too sweet for me.1/2 cup ketchup 1/4 cup honey 1/2 cup soy sauce 2 cloves garlic or bottled garlic 5-6 lbs frozen chicken wings Mix ingredients. Pour over wings. Make a single layer of wings on baking sheet. Cook for 1 hour at 400 degrees.

I made this Mahogany wings recipe for company, and got rave reviews. They were too sweet for me.1/2 cup ketchup 1/4 cup honey 1/2 cup soy sauce 2 cloves garlic or bottled garlic 5-6 lbs frozen chicken wings Mix ingredients. Pour over wings. Make a single layer of wings on baking sheet. Cook for 1 hour at 400 degrees.
I still like my hot wings but that sounds like a good change of pace.

One thing I will say as far as breading is concerned is that I strongly recommend avoiding it in cases like this where something is going to be drenched in a sauce. It has a tendency to take all of the good qualities you get from breading like that crispy crunch and make it all soggy and mushy, especially if there is a lot of sauce. If you are going to do it with a breading, the only way to do it and avoid this is to serve the sauce on the side and let people dip in it (or better yet put some on their plate and dip in it so you don't have a big cross-contaminated bowl of sauce with flakes of chicken crust in it). This does take some of the fun out of chicken wings though in that you don't get to enjoy the sticky, sauce-covered fingers that you have to lick clean after devouring your wings.

Users who are viewing this thread