What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Linebacker Indecision (1 Viewer)

Enderdog

Footballguy
We start three linebackers, and I came into my draft with Donnie Edwards, Odell Thurman, Ray Lewis and Keith Bulluck. I've generally carried just four linebackers, but with Edward's age, Thurman's suspension, and Lewis and Bulluck having the same bye week, I added Will Witherspoon. Only then did I realize Witherspoon has the same bye as Lewis and Bulluck. :rolleyes:

Both Ernie Sims and DeMeco Ryans are still available at this point.

Are Edwards and Lewis far enough down the over 30 slope, or Thurman so risky, or Witherspoon so untested that they're replacable with a talented rookie?

Is this even the right forum?

We start three linebackers, and I came into my draft with Donnie Edwards, Odell Thurman, Ray Lewis and Keith Bulluck. I've generally carried just four linebackers, but with Edward's age, Thurman's suspension, and Lewis and Bulluck having the same bye week, I added Will Witherspoon. Only then did I realize Witherspoon has the same bye as Lewis and Bulluck. :rolleyes:

Both Ernie Sims and DeMeco Ryans are still available at this point.

Are Edwards and Lewis far enough down the over 30 slope, or Thurman so risky, or Witherspoon so untested that they're replacable with a talented rookie?

Is this even the right forum?
Ryans and Sims are available? Don't even read the rest of this, just go get Ryans and Sims now, then come back.Ryans is the starting MLB in the Texans' new D and should be solid for years. Sims was just moved into the starting WLB spot and is another long term solid projection. In fact, those two were probably ranked in the top 5 LBs entering the draft (from an NFL standpoint).

Edwards is asking to leave and in the meantime seems to have been replaced without much fanfare. He's been looking for a contract extension with big bucks and management isn't going to do it. You've already pointed out that Thurman isn't around for the start of the season. If you had to ignore those two entirely and just use Sims-Ryans-Witherspoon as their replacements, I think you are still in great shape.

What are your roster sizes? I'm a little surprised those two aren't already taken.

Ryans and Sims available?

Color me surprised :shock:

Is it a re-draft league?

Is it an open league?

Are you playing for money?

Is there a vacancy I could fill?

Just do as the post above said and pick'em up and you'll be succesful for a long-time (if it's dynasty).

:thumbup:

From what you've told us, it sounds like the rest of your league doesn't know IDPs very well.

For redraft, I'd rank your guys like this:

Bulloch

Lewis

Edwards - risky

Witherspoon

Ryans

Thurman - risky

Sims

What are the chances you can pick up Thurman in week 3 or so to help out on that bye week?

I thought Thurman is suspended 4 weeks so wouldn't be available for the week 3 bye issue?

Pick up Ryans at least and roster as many of these Lbers as you can before the rest of your league wakes up.

I thought Thurman is suspended 4 weeks so wouldn't be available for the week 3 bye issue?
You are correct, he is out for 4 weeks, but I'm sure the plan is to get him a week early so you avoid the last minute rush. However, judging from what's still out there, there may never be a rush.

You are correct, he is out for 4 weeks, but I'm sure the plan is to get him a week early so you avoid the last minute rush. However, judging from what's still out there, there may never be a rush.
That's exactly what I meant.I don't know when the big bye week problem is - if it's before week 5, that plan isn't any good.

Thanks for the thoughts!

Sorry for leaving out that it's a slow draft that's still going, we're in only our second year with IDPs, and it's just getting to the point where most people are starting to notice IDPs, and yes, about half the league worries more about WR4 than LB1.

The bye week problem isn't until week 7, so picking Thurman back up might be an option, as he won't play until week 6 (Cincy has their bye week 5).

It's a dynasty, and I have Bulluck, Lewis, and Witherspoon as the top three on my current roster.

Thurman's and Edward's question marks have dropped them enough that I might replace them with Sims and/or Ryan if they fall to me. Both have great potential from what I see here, they haven't done it "for real" yet. Edwards has, but he looks like he's being phased out in SD and who know what his situation will be if he goes somewhere else. Who knows when Thurman will mess up again and get a year's vacation? I think you guys have got me leaning towards grabbing both rookies if possible and trading the two vets or losing them on cut day. At worst they'll move me two spots up the waiver ladder. I guess the original question after all my rambling should have been: Since I can only carry five LBs comfortably, how would Edwards, Thurmond, Sims, and Ryan rank in dynasty?

Maybe I'm just too attached to my vets, and am just trying to talk myself into dumping them. :lmao:

Since I can only carry five LBs comfortably, how would Edwards, Thurmond, Sims, and Ryan rank in dynasty? Maybe I'm just too attached to my vets, and am just trying to talk myself into dumping them. :lmao:
For a dynasty set-up:Ryans \ Sims (pick and order for these two - the points is, it's these two first)ThurmondEdwardsIf you can trade Edwards to someone for something of value, do it while you can.

Users who are viewing this thread