What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Howard could end up with one of the greatest... (1 Viewer)

JuniorNB

Footballguy
The guy just blasted home run number 48. He also drove in three runs to raise his RBI total to 125. AND, he's batting .296.

The guy could conceivably end up with 60 HRs, 145 RBIs, and a .300 average.

I don't believe there have been too many hitters ever to have numbers better than that in a single season.

Am I wrong?

I can't believe anyone would ask that question..
why wouldn't i? the recent history of the MLB, much less other pro sports, is filled with guys getting busted for doping. pardon me for my skepticism but MLB made me dubious...

Last edited by a moderator:
That'll be one helluva strato-matic baseball card...

I remember drafting Rickey Henderson's '90 strato-matic when he had 28 homeruns, 159 hits, .325 average, 97 walks and 65 stolen bases...

It was sick...if he got on base...hang it up...just consider everything at least a triple because I was stealing him around...

2006 on.. Ryan Howard > David Ortiz.

2007 on.. Ryan Howard > Albert Pujols.

I can't believe anyone would ask that question..
why wouldn't i? the recent history of the MLB, much less other pro sports, is filled with guys getting busted for doping. pardon me for my skepticism but MLB made me dubious...
It was a failed attempt at :sarcasm: on my part. Until MLB really cleans up its act, if I see a huge baseball player I am going to assume he isn't 100% natural.

That'll be one helluva strato-matic baseball card...I remember drafting Rickey Henderson's '90 strato-matic when he had 28 homeruns, 159 hits, .325 average, 97 walks and 65 stolen bases...It was sick...if he got on base...hang it up...just consider everything at least a triple because I was stealing him around...
Barrys last 3 or 4 cards have been sick...SICK!!!

The guy just blasted home run number 48. He also drove in three runs to raise his RBI total to 125. AND, he's batting .296.

I don't believe there have been too many hitters ever to have numbers better than that in a single season.

Am I wrong?
If anything, he tied a club record...think it was Mike Schmidt.

RKMoney said:
JuniorNB said:

Am I wrong?
Schmidt's stirke shortened 1981 season was sicker, in my opinion:102 games.

.315 average, 31 homers, 91 RBI's, 73 walks, 78 runs, .435 obp, .634 slg - all but avg led the league

throw in a gold glove, 12 steals,

and it was not in the homer-happy era we're in now.

If Ryan Howard keeps playing this well & remains a Phil, he's got a shot to be the second greatest Phillie of all-time.

Sammy Sosa probably had a couple of years with sick #s like that

Obviously tarnished but these #s are ridiculous

'98 .308/66/158

'99 .288/63/141

'00 .320/50/138

'01 .328/64/160 :shock:

Parmcat said:
tdoss said:
That'll be one helluva strato-matic baseball card...I remember drafting Rickey Henderson's '90 strato-matic when he had 28 homeruns, 159 hits, .325 average, 97 walks and 65 stolen bases...It was sick...if he got on base...hang it up...just consider everything at least a triple because I was stealing him around...
God I remember the 70s and 80s and playing Strat til the wee hours.1980 was a fun year.Reggie Jackson, Mike Schmidt, Ben OglivieSteve Carlton pitched 304 innings! 2.34 ERA and 286 KsWillie Wilson hit .326 and had 81 steals (I think) AA stealerThere was JR Richard, Mike Norris, Scott McGregor, Don Sutton, Steve Stone, Rudy May...Ellis Valentine, Dave Parker, Dwight Evans, Dave Winfield with the -5 armsCecil Cooper, Keith Hernandez, Al Oliver, Rod Carew, George BrettWhat have Barry Bonds last 3 or 4 cards looked like?

2001 Luis Gonzalez \.325

1977 George Foster

Impressive numbers Howard is putting up, but let's settle down huh?

Parmcat said:
tdoss said:
God I remember the 70s and 80s and playing Strat til the wee hours.1980 was a fun year.Reggie Jackson, Mike Schmidt, Ben OglivieSteve Carlton pitched 304 innings! 2.34 ERA and 286 KsWillie Wilson hit .326 and had 81 steals (I think) AA stealerThere was JR Richard, Mike Norris, Scott McGregor, Don Sutton, Steve Stone, Rudy May...Ellis Valentine, Dave Parker, Dwight Evans, Dave Winfield with the -5 armsCecil Cooper, Keith Hernandez, Al Oliver, Rod Carew, George BrettWhat have Barry Bonds last 3 or 4 cards looked like?
Me too. The two teams that came with my game were the 1975 Chicago Cubs and 1975 San Fran GiantsThen I got the free teams from 1977:Yankees RedsPhilliesDodgersRedSoxRoyalsI played 1000's of games. I spent all my money on the old timer teams and the new year's sets. 1979-1983.Hall of Fame guys with the sick cards.Ahhh memories.

He's having an incredible season, without a doubt. But one of the best offensive years ever? Not even close. Ryan Howard is 10th in MLB in OPS. While his season has been great, take a look at what Travis Hafner and others are doing this year. Now, if Albert Pujols hadn't gotten hurt, he just might have put up one of the 2 or 3 best offensive seasons ever.

People have mentioned some other great offensive years in this thread, but here's one that gets overlooked:

Norm Cash, 1961: .361 avg, .487 obp, .662 slg, 41 hr's, 132 rbi, 119 runs, 11 sb's

RKMoney said:
JuniorNB said:

Am I wrong?
Schmidt's stirke shortened 1981 season was sicker, in my opinion:102 games.

.315 average, 31 homers, 91 RBI's, 73 walks, 78 runs, .435 obp, .634 slg - all but avg led the league

throw in a gold glove, 12 steals,

and it was not in the homer-happy era we're in now.

If Ryan Howard keeps playing this well & remains a Phil, he's got a shot to be the second greatest Phillie of all-time.
He'll be better than Richie/#### Allen before he's done.

.300 +

50+

140+

Has been done 12 times, by 9 players.
This is a good trivia question. Let's come up with as many of those nine names as we can without Googling.Some have been given in this thread: Sammy Sosa, Luis Gonzalez, George Forster.

At least one more is obvious: Babe Ruth. Hack Wilson did it ... and Jimmie Foxx had to have done it (right?). Also pretty sure Willie Mays did it in 1965.

One less obvious name: Ralph Kiner

Don't think that Barry Bonds ever surpassed 140 RBIs in his 50+ HR seasons. Mark McGwire didn't hit above .300 very often. Ken Griffey, Jr? Didn't think he was quite that high of an RBI man, but maybe.

Not even close to Barry Bonds in 2001

73 Home Runs

.328 Batting Average

137 RBI's

177 Walks

.515 OBP

.863 SLG

:EDIT: Steroids might have helped just a little

.300 +

50+

140+

Has been done 12 times, by 9 players.
This is a good trivia question. Let's come up with as many of those nine names as we can without Googling.Some have been given in this thread: Sammy Sosa, Luis Gonzalez, George Forster.

At least one more is obvious: Babe Ruth. Hack Wilson did it ... and Jimmie Foxx had to have done it (right?). Also pretty sure Willie Mays did it in 1965.

One less obvious name: Ralph Kiner

Don't think that Barry Bonds ever surpassed 140 RBIs in his 50+ HR seasons. Mark McGwire didn't hit above .300 very often. Ken Griffey, Jr? Didn't think he was quite that high of an RBI man, but maybe.
Oops, my mistake - 12 times by 8 players, not nine. And Willie is not one of them, nor kiner.

One of the others you mentioned did, along with someone you are overlooking, one of the underated true great offensive players ever.

The main point is that this is only Ryan Howard's second year in majors. Howard also only played a little more half a season last year (88 games) and won ROY. He is a serious contender for MVP this year although the Phils probably need to win WC for him to win. That would be a first I believe. Check out is numbers over his first 162 games. Pretty big numbers for a young guy.

The kid is having a great year and start of his career, but I am not ready to put him as 2nd best anything yet. That goes for any player.

Oops, my mistake - 12 times by 8 players, not nine.

And Willie is not one of them, nor kiner.

One of the others you mentioned did, along with someone you are overlooking, one of the underated true great offensive players ever.
Not Kiner, huh? Thought he mighta done it in his 51-HR season.The guy I overlooked had to be Willie McCovey during his 52-HR season. That guy was an RBI freak.

Another possibility -- Manny Ramirez has surpassed 50 HRs before ... and 140 RBIs is an off season for him.

Not Kiner, huh? Thought he mighta done it in his 51-HR season.The guy I overlooked had to be Willie McCovey during his 52-HR season. That guy was an RBI freak.

Another possibility -- Manny Ramirez has surpassed 50 HRs before ... and 140 RBIs is an off season for him.
Nope and nope. Lets say this guy and I are in the same fraternity. :coffee:

:D Oh yeah ... Hank Greenberg :doh:

I didn't even bother to check Jimmie Foxx ... I'm confident he did it, too. Final answer, Regis.

tdoss said:
I still have a bunch of those cards from the late 60's, including McLain's 31-win season and Gibson's 1.12 ERA. Lou Brock = SPEED.

In before a yankee fan accuses him of juicing while vehemently insisting Giambi and Sheffield are clean

I'd guess Chuck Klein. Believe he had 50 and 175 in the same year that Hack went 56 and 191.

I think Griffey had 56 and 147 one year, but not sure of the average.

I think Griffey had 56 and 147 one year, but not sure of the average.
I broke down and looked it up -- Junior did, indeed, do it once. He'd the overlooked guy Koya referred to, I think. Tell you what -- 10 years ago, he wasn't overlooked.Klein never got to 50 HRs.

correct on both counts. :thumbup:

sim draft center is a sweet tool to look this stuff up.

:D Oh yeah ... Hank Greenberg :doh:

I didn't even bother to check Jimmie Foxx ... I'm confident he did it, too. Final answer, Regis.

2007 on.. Ryan Howard > Albert Pujols.
Coming from a Philadelphian, let's not get crazy. Ryan is having a treeeemendous year, better than anything Mike Schmidt ever did, and Schmidt is an all timer. So, in that perspective in Phillies history, it truly is incredible. But Pujols is above and beyond most everyone in the league, I don't know that what you say is possible.....yet. :D

Users who are viewing this thread