What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (1 Viewer)

What episode are they on? I got all of the shows and spent all weekend watching the entire season.This was a great season for a very good show. I tried to figure out why I liked this season so much better than the others. I think it's less of the McNulty character. That whole 'cop who bucks the rules" that i've seen in every other cop/crime drama. Dialing him down a whole lot and playing up the politic stuff (government, police and drug gang) was brilliant to me.
Two biggest things were Bunk convincing Holley that Omar didn't kill the delivery lady and Carcetti "promoting" Daniels.

Last edited by a moderator:
wonder if that's the way it's going to go. it almost seems too obvious which makes me think that's NOT what will happen.
Maybe. I'm not sure surprise is a big theme of the show. Often, tragedy is. And in classical tragedy, it's all about how impossible it is to change things once they're set in motion. I don't think there was a lot of question about what would happen to Wallace, D'Angelo, or Stringer Bell. Those stories were all about watching those guys get caught in webs they had no way out of.
i had absolutely no clue dangleo was gonna be offedthat character was the most tragic ive seen in a long timei just dont see michael turning into the next marlo after seeing what drugs did to his momthere has been some change. look at prez. he was a total ####### semi racist hothead in season 1look at mcnultycuttythere is some redemption on the show/ in life

cut buddy means, he fixed his cuts after boxing, like mickey did for rocky.

what about poor randy..

and the kid w/ the late night sneaking hands step dad, you think chris come knocking soon.

bubs...damn does he die soon?

and i still think namien dies, wee-bays boy.

and where is mcnulty?

danieles for police commisioner.

I hope Bubs doesn't die. I like that crackhead....lol

Good point re-Randy. Maybe they're showing us how kids get pulled into dealing whether they planned to or not. Maybe he has to for protection. Reminds me of Wallace.

If that kid asked Omar to take out his dad/stepdad Omar would have done it for free. Wonder what Marlo's gonna "charge" him.

Isn't that chick like 16? Freak or not, I'm surprised she's watching Marlo's back in that last scene.

BTW That fred flintstone comment at the dinner table was good too. I'm tucking that napkin in next time we go out to eat.

how is it the cops can't smell that stench from the buildings? Yeah they pour some lyme and loosely wrap em' in plastic but cmon it's no ziploc. I'm waiting for Bunk's @ to fall backward from the stench when he finds it

If that kid asked Omar to take out his dad/stepdad Omar would have done it for free. Wonder what Marlo's gonna "charge" him.
Incorrect. If you know anything about Omar it's that he doesn't kill people who aren't in the game.

i had absolutely no clue dangleo was gonna be offedthat character was the most tragic ive seen in a long timei just dont see michael turning into the next marlo after seeing what drugs did to his momthere has been some change. look at prez. he was a total ####### semi racist hothead in season 1look at mcnultycuttythere is some redemption on the show/ in life
I wasn't saying there was no redemption in the show. I'm pretty sure at least one of those kids is going to get out. In fact, I think that might be one genuine "surprise" on the show, because I think it's going to be Naymon.And if Season 5 really is the last season, it wouldn't shock me to see Bubbles at least trying to live straight when the show ends.I just don't think the show backs away from showing it's hand. That's why it often rings so true to me. Lots of shows have surprises and twists you don't see coming. I can watch Law and Order for that (although the twists are such a part of the formula that you can generally see them coming a mile away). I think it's much harder to build characters and environments where the progression of the story appears completely organic and natural. Which is why it doesn't matter to me if I can guess what comes next (that Hamsterdam was too good an idea to survive, that Carcetti wins, that Greggs becomes like McNulty, etc.). The show doesn't earn it's money by surprising me. It does it by getting to where the story needs to go and not compromising.

Cringe said:
Bri said:
Incorrect. If you know anything about Omar it's that he doesn't kill people who aren't in the game.
Fair point. Early on Omar gave money to poor mom's with newborns that didn't have $ to feed their child. I don't doubt he'd get involved when they spend their food stamp money on crack and that little kid(younger brother) isn't eating. Omar's got some heart to him.

I wasn't saying there was no redemption in the show. I'm pretty sure at least one of those kids is going to get out. In fact, I think that might be one genuine "surprise" on the show, because I think it's going to be Naymon.And if Season 5 really is the last season, it wouldn't shock me to see Bubbles at least trying to live straight when the show ends.I just don't think the show backs away from showing it's hand. That's why it often rings so true to me. Lots of shows have surprises and twists you don't see coming. I can watch Law and Order for that (although the twists are such a part of the formula that you can generally see them coming a mile away). I think it's much harder to build characters and environments where the progression of the story appears completely organic and natural. Which is why it doesn't matter to me if I can guess what comes next (that Hamsterdam was too good an idea to survive, that Carcetti wins, that Greggs becomes like McNulty, etc.). The show doesn't earn it's money by surprising me. It does it by getting to where the story needs to go and not compromising.
I agree with your points scooby. Simon has repeatedly said its about the story not about the characters. He is primarily trying to point out all of the problems we are now facing and making it entertaining comes second.

anyone catch law and order SVU last week?

omar and naymond were both on it

we watched next weeks wire on demand and it is a great episode

more mcnulty than weve seen all year

some very funny lines and some extreme violence

only 3 left after this next one

anyone catch law and order SVU last week?

omar and naymond were both on it

we watched next weeks wire on demand and it is a great episode

more mcnulty than weve seen all year

some very funny lines and some extreme violence

only 3 left after this next one
No kidding. That was completely disturbing. wow. :o

Did they beat dude to death because he really "messed" with boys or was that only a ploy to get Marlo's crew to do what they do?

Did they beat dude to death because he really "messed" with boys or was that only a ploy to get Marlo's crew to do what they do?
It's been made pretty clear, w/o directly coming out and saying it, that he molested Micheal before he went to jail.

wow...how many people here think chris was touched too...damn he beat that man.

daniels will be the new police commish.

bodi is the next kingpin, you feel me...

what was up w/ slim trying to cause trouble beteween bodi and marlo? by telling him little kevin was killed.

mcnulty and ex-wife will get it on again, dont you think.

the dead child molesters body is outside the vacants...any chance that l;eads the cops to finding the rest of the bodies?

man namiens mom is crazy.

wow...how many people here think chris was touched too...damn he beat that man.daniels will be the new police commish.bodi is the next kingpin, you feel me...what was up w/ slim trying to cause trouble beteween bodi and marlo? by telling him little kevin was killed.mcnulty and ex-wife will get it on again, dont you think.the dead child molesters body is outside the vacants...any chance that l;eads the cops to finding the rest of the bodies?man namiens mom is crazy.
Namens mom thinks of it as a job and business so regular-like, it's so amusing.Agree on mcnulty. He'll say no but eventually caveAbsolutely agree on chris.Dead body, yeah I bet. It's ammo to fire the police commish and fits the storyline perfectly. I wonder how that boy has to repay the debt.Bodi seems distant at times in a wise sorta street way. He beat down some easy targets with bats but he backs off at times like with Wallace too. Omar wants Marlo. Prop Joe is trying to antagonize him to go after Marlo. I think he backs off and lets things blow up without him. I don't know, it's just that Bodi has no muscle other than that 5 foot tall kid. Maybe Slim wants a piece of the pie after all the work he's done. Daniels needs a few people to fall first

bodie is not cut out to be the man in charge

i definately could see slim take over though

freeman will take any chances he gets to take stanfield down and i could see slim reclaim those corners for the barksdales or do his own thing (not sure where avon stands nowadays from jail)

i think that scene where chris just stares at michael after snoop asks him what this guy ever did to him was telling

i think chris or someone he was close to was molested

that was the first time he didnt just shoot somebody

seemed personal

definitely personal. they didn't have to say that he or someone very close to him was molested.

that was pure rage.

thought that seemed pretty obvious.

that was a cringe-worthy scene. yikes.

definitely personal. they didn't have to say that he or someone very close to him was molested. that was pure rage. thought that seemed pretty obvious.that was a cringe-worthy scene. yikes.
I got the impression he had been raped in prison. He first asked the guy if he liked boys. Then he asked him about getting some in prison. When the guy responded like it was nothing, Partlow beat his face in.Loved Snoop's response. "Damn, didn't even get him inside."

at first i didn't care for the Snoop character.. but she's really grown on me. she's kinda funny in a strange, morbid, sorta way.

only 2 episodes left.
until what?In the book, the writer says how in a few seasons they plan to show a whole 'nother scenario.Something along the lines of-they knocked down the towers to put up condoswith rent like vouchers "ghetto" people(his term) live with "middle class" and attempt to coexist, same with the drug trade.Sopranos were only this many episodes left a few times. Is it really over after this season, 2 episodes, or is it over until they get new contracts?

at first i didn't care for the Snoop character.. but she's really grown on me. she's kinda funny in a strange, morbid, sorta way.
Watch the prequel stuff - I believe she is actually a kid from Baltimore.This show is getting beyond good right now, but I have to admit that (unlike the Shield, Sopranos, Deadwood, and a few others) I rarely feel the need during the season to watch an episode more than once. I will probably watch them again after the season's over and some time has passed, but we head right back into the end of the Shield, Rescue Me, and the end of the Sopranos as the new year approaches.

Marc Levin said:
only 2 episodes left.
until what?
End of the season.The way this show is done, they wouldn't have to pay anyone too much money except the writers - they could change over almost the entire cast and not lose anything.
Opinion or fact re end of season?The casting is tremendous and much of OZ was the same way. I don't think anyone could play Bunk or Omar but Snoop and Chris(and others) are fine additions. When I see Greggs or Freeman in their small parts in certain episodes, a little history goes thru my head and I know Greggs will solve that murder or that Freeman will pin up pics and names and start a sorta family tree. There's a familiarity there that I think gives the writers alot of freedom. A complete cast change would take all that away and really hold them back IMO.

Marc Levin said:
only 2 episodes left.
until what?
End of the season.The way this show is done, they wouldn't have to pay anyone too much money except the writers - they could change over almost the entire cast and not lose anything.
Opinion or fact re end of season?The casting is tremendous and much of OZ was the same way. I don't think anyone could play Bunk or Omar but Snoop and Chris(and others) are fine additions. When I see Greggs or Freeman in their small parts in certain episodes, a little history goes thru my head and I know Greggs will solve that murder or that Freeman will pin up pics and names and start a sorta family tree. There's a familiarity there that I think gives the writers alot of freedom. A complete cast change would take all that away and really hold them back IMO.
It also says how much the actors value the series when they are willing to come back to reprise their roles even though they essentially become bit characters. I'm looking forward to next season and the Freeman-led Major Crimes Squad when they go after the politicos.

Marc Levin said:
only 2 episodes left.
until what?
It also says how much the actors value the series when they are willing to come back to reprise their roles even though they essentially become bit characters. I'm looking forward to next season and the Freeman-led Major Crimes Squad when they go after the politicos.
That Clay Davis money that didnt even buy Carcetti anything is going to #### everything up.

AHA! I figured it out.

Ever have one of those moments where you recognize someone but can't place him? Well I'm so into this show you'd think I knew the guys.

Anyhow, that familiar face with Prop Joe was Cheese. The dealer that torched Ziggy's car back in season 2.

Remember Prop Joe met with the greek's boy in season 2?

Lots of "how will they tie the docks in with this altogether" thoughts are racing through my head.

Ziggy isn't even acting but plays in some band that stinks named Early Man. I just read that.

Valcheck is involved lately even if small parts, Beadie is McNulty's chick.

It's definitely coming together but just small bits and pieces. What do you think comes next?

The older Sobotka son? He's out of work or doing something else if the grain pier is now condos. The greek meets Omar? What story lines do you guys think are coming?

OR

am I totally off base here

Some stuff from the book

Bubbles led to more than 500 arrest for the FBI, Baltimore, NYPD, or other agencies. That seems sooo high to me. He passed away and Simon had to pull some strings to get an obit in the paper for him.

Little Melvin Williams is a drug dealer that just in the little bit they talk about in the book, is really an interesting guy.

Google him if you'd like

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=l...liams+baltimore

The actor that plays Omar was a dancer. Frank Sobotka actor was 39 and needed extensive makeup to look older.

Also, at the HBO boards David Simon used to reply to Qs.

http://boards.hbo.com/thread.jspa?threadID...25&start=45

What story lines do you guys think are coming?ORam I totally off base here
According to one spoiler I stumbled across (from someone who downloaded the full season torrents), you're at least in the neighborhood of one thing being setup for next season.Other than that, here's the stuff we know:Simon has already said that it will end in the fifth season.He's said he's going to focus on the press.The show is again hinting that Daniels' past at the Western is finally going to come into the light. They've teased that since the first season. I assume it will be used as a powerplay by Burrell.Assuming that "every piece matters" it seems to me that main arc of season 5 is the MCU following the Barksdale money to the actual large drug importers. In the scheme of the drug enterprise, even "kingpins" like Avon are relatively small fish. Because of the corruption piece, I wouldn't be surprised to see McNulty or Lester working alongside Jimmy's FBI buddy.

Maybe you guys already know this, but Prezbo was the elevator operator ("Hey Buddy!") in The Hudsucker Proxy.

Anyone catch the OnDemand episode last night? :eek:

AHA! I figured it out.Ever have one of those moments where you recognize someone but can't place him? Well I'm so into this show you'd think I knew the guys.Anyhow, that familiar face with Prop Joe was Cheese. The dealer that torched Ziggy's car back in season 2.Remember Prop Joe met with the greek's boy in season 2?Lots of "how will they tie the docks in with this altogether" thoughts are racing through my head. Ziggy isn't even acting but plays in some band that stinks named Early Man. I just read that.Valcheck is involved lately even if small parts, Beadie is McNulty's chick.It's definitely coming together but just small bits and pieces. What do you think comes next?The older Sobotka son? He's out of work or doing something else if the grain pier is now condos. The greek meets Omar? What story lines do you guys think are coming?ORam I totally off base here
Not off base - just confused.Corrections:1) yeah, we knew Cheese was with Prop Joe back in the docks episodes. We learned that early on in that season.2) older Sabotka son? Ziggy and Nick Sabotka were cousins, not brothers - Frank Sabotka was Ziggy's father, Frank was the Niki's uncle.3) The "Greek" is not even greek - and they are GONE - they will not be coming back to that part of the U.S. ever again b/c they were "made." Prop Joe is still getting their "product" - they talked about that, too, when the Greek's right hand man was saying goodbye to Prop Joe ("new faces, always new faces, but same business")4) they discussed two weeks ago and last week - most recently when Carcetti was circling the room - you could hear it in the background - folks talking baout turning the grain pier into condos and DREDGING THE CANAL- which was Frank Sabotka's dream - dredging the canal means they could bring more and bigger ships into the harbor, thus more work.Regardless, Frank's union was closed down permanently, so the dock storyline is completely tied up. This show does NOT tie things together like that because it is not complete fiction - it is painting a story. Real life rarely gets tied up in neat little bows. You may see more of some old characters, but not to tie up old storylines. The show is, and has always been, about putting forth new storylines. Old characters will pop up and whatnot, but old storylines are gone.

AHA! I figured it out.Ever have one of those moments where you recognize someone but can't place him? Well I'm so into this show you'd think I knew the guys.Anyhow, that familiar face with Prop Joe was Cheese. The dealer that torched Ziggy's car back in season 2.Remember Prop Joe met with the greek's boy in season 2?Lots of "how will they tie the docks in with this altogether" thoughts are racing through my head. Ziggy isn't even acting but plays in some band that stinks named Early Man. I just read that.Valcheck is involved lately even if small parts, Beadie is McNulty's chick.It's definitely coming together but just small bits and pieces. What do you think comes next?The older Sobotka son? He's out of work or doing something else if the grain pier is now condos. The greek meets Omar? What story lines do you guys think are coming?ORam I totally off base here
Not off base - just confused.Corrections:1) yeah, we knew Cheese was with Prop Joe back in the docks episodes. We learned that early on in that season.2) older Sabotka son? Ziggy and Nick Sabotka were cousins, not brothers - Frank Sabotka was Ziggy's father, Frank was the Niki's uncle.3) The "Greek" is not even greek - and they are GONE - they will not be coming back to that part of the U.S. ever again b/c they were "made." Prop Joe is still getting their "product" - they talked about that, too, when the Greek's right hand man was saying goodbye to Prop Joe ("new faces, always new faces, but same business")4) they discussed two weeks ago and last week - most recently when Carcetti was circling the room - you could hear it in the background - folks talking baout turning the grain pier into condos and DREDGING THE CANAL- which was Frank Sabotka's dream - dredging the canal means they could bring more and bigger ships into the harbor, thus more work.Regardless, Frank's union was closed down permanently, so the dock storyline is completely tied up. This show does NOT tie things together like that because it is not complete fiction - it is painting a story. Real life rarely gets tied up in neat little bows. You may see more of some old characters, but not to tie up old storylines. The show is, and has always been, about putting forth new storylines. Old characters will pop up and whatnot, but old storylines are gone.
Cheese was just a "he looks familiar" thought I was glad to figure out. Rest was just guesses of how they'll tie this together. Some very very good points though.Cheese was run off by brother Mouzzone too. Previously we were debating who'd take over if Marlo is gone. I still like the Barksdale muscle guy idea as my fave but I wonder if Cheese isn't around for that reason now.As season 2 closed, one of the final scenes(just saw it) is some suits with plans for condos. The book and actual Baltimore history lend to condos.I disagree on the last statement and feel like they do tie up storylines well. For me, they hint at things in the first couple episodes and I sorta gloss over them. Then they don't become relevant until several weeks later and it's like a light went on. What haven't they wrapped up in your opinion?

Cheese was run off by brother Mouzzone too.
Yeah - but he was just run off from dealing in the west side of baltimore project towers, he was not run out of town - he was still Prop Joe's guy - Prop Joe runs the east side of baltimore, Barksdale did (and Marlow does), run the WEST side.
Previously we were debating who'd take over if Marlo is gone. I still like the Barksdale muscle guy idea as my fave but I wonder if Cheese isn't around for that reason now.
If Marlow vanishes, Prop Joe or some others take over the whole town - Cheese and Slim both work for Joe and they are the only other "important" druyg dealers we've been introduced to.
As season 2 closed, one of the final scenes(just saw it) is some suits with plans for condos. The book and actual Baltimore history lend to condos.
Right - I gave no argument there. That was the riverside stuff that Stringer Bell was investing in and that Clay Davis was taking money for. I think it is also why they tore down the project towers.
I disagree on the last statement and feel like they do tie up storylines well. For me, they hint at things in the first couple episodes and I sorta gloss over them. Then they don't become relevant until several weeks later and it's like a light went on. What haven't they wrapped up in your opinion?
Well, that I agree with - they tie up every storyline withIN that season - they won't tie up storylines from PREVIOUS seasons (such as whatever happened to Nick Sabotka, or the Greek, or Ziggy) I believe all those characters' arcs are over.The things they wereinvolved in - dredging the canal, building the condos, greasing politicians - those things are ongoing regardless of the players. I think it is interesting that the only characters that have had important storylines all three seasons are Prez, Bunk, Omar, and Herc. And a bit of Brodie, but he really hasn't had all that much to do most of this year.

and Daniels and Lester have had important storylines every year.

I keep getting the feeling that McNulty will end up back in the Major Crimes office next year.

I think he will piss off his fellow patrol oifficers when he refuses to back any "war" on the street dredged up by the yellow painted cop and wehen he fiinds the "truth" about that incident, he will have the juices flowing again to do real detective work.

just watched this weeks and next weeks episodes last night

marc some of your points in the last 2 posts above seem to be coming true and some seem to be going the opposite way then you suggested

at any rate next weeks episode has some classic bunk lines but overall is sad as hell

all those feeling of dread you have for the characters thoughout the season are starting to come true unfortunately

next year is gonna be awesome given that simon started off in the media writing for the balitmore sun. im thinking some of the homicide episodes focusing on the media were signs of things to come. gonna be UGLY.

was the scene with mcnulty and bodie eating together in this weeks or next?

not a spoiler since nothing consequential happens but made me think how similiar they are now. jaded at their work environments.

Fiddles said:
was the scene with mcnulty and bodie eating together in this weeks or next?not a spoiler since nothing consequential happens but made me think how similiar they are now. jaded at their work environments.
This week's.Just two working stiffs grabbing a bite.

Users who are viewing this thread