What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (6 Viewers)

Wire Prequels

Includes:

Young Prop Joe, 1962

Young Omar, 1985

Bunk and McNulty first meet, 2000.
wtf is this!!?!?!??! :X
Simon produced the shorts at the same time he worked on the series finale, though they don't have any specific relevance to this season's story lines."When we approached David about doing additional scenes, he got it right away," said Rishi Malhotra, vp HBO On Demand and multiplatform marketing. "Immediately, he came up with these characters."

i liked the omar one the best

Wire Prequels

Includes:

Young Prop Joe, 1962

Young Omar, 1985

wtf is this!!?!?!??! :lmao:
Simon produced the shorts at the same time he worked on the series finale, though they don't have any specific relevance to this season's story lines."When we approached David about doing additional scenes, he got it right away," said Rishi Malhotra, vp HBO On Demand and multiplatform marketing. "Immediately, he came up with these characters."

i liked the omar one the best
I liked that one as well. The Prop Joe one kind of sucked.

The Wire" is one of the finest series on television. I'm amazed that more people haven't inquired about it.

Its fifth and final season begins on Jan. 6 at 9 p.m. on HBO, and wraps up all the major storylines while tossing the local media into the mix, commenting on its ability (or lack thereof) to effect change in the city.

Creator David Simon, in addition to being one of the industry's top scribes, is a former Baltimore Sun reporter. Digesting his take on the press as it relates to political gamesmanship and corruption, crime and urban ills promises to be illuminating.

But the frustrating truth is that, while critical acclaim will no doubt be loaded onto this final season, "The Wire" has always garnered low ratings. In spite of the fact that HBO's cupboards are sparse these days, the numbers aren't likely to swell all that much. The television medium will miss the high quality of "The Wire" once its done, even if the larger viewing audience, I'm sorry to say, probably won't.

Again, that's Jan. 6. HBO. 9 p.m. Or, Dec. 31 if you have On Demand; HBO always makes V.O.D episodes available six days before the on-air premiere.

Received season 4 in the mail today. I can't honestly remember when I've been so happy about getting something in the mail. :goodposting:

Received season 4 in the mail today. I can't honestly remember when I've been so happy about getting something in the mail. :confused:
Watched the first three episodes of Season 4 so far, and it hasn't slowed down at all. Again, just a fantastic show. There are some other features on the On Demand right now, too, but I'm going to wait until I'm done with Season 4 to watch them. Typically if something is in the Special Features section of a DVD, it is on the Video On Demand as well.

Received season 4 in the mail today. I can't honestly remember when I've been so happy about getting something in the mail. :popcorn:
Watched the first three episodes of Season 4 so far, and it hasn't slowed down at all. Again, just a fantastic show. There are some other features on the On Demand right now, too, but I'm going to wait until I'm done with Season 4 to watch them. Typically if something is in the Special Features section of a DVD, it is on the Video On Demand as well.
gonna go look for that stuff now thanks

Am through 11 episodes of Season 4 and, well, I don't even know what to say. While other seasons took a little bit to get going (IMO), this one had me from the start.

These kids... it's so heart wrenching already, their story is so compelling. This is my favorite season yet, without a doubt.

Am through 11 episodes of Season 4 and, well, I don't even know what to say. While other seasons took a little bit to get going (IMO), this one had me from the start.

These kids... it's so heart wrenching already, their story is so compelling. This is my favorite season yet, without a doubt.
So, I didn't know that there were only 13 episodes in Season 4. Just finished Disc 4 and I need resolution!

Last edited:
Wire Prequels

Includes:

Young Prop Joe, 1962

Young Omar, 1985

Nice contribution. I wish they would have had one of Rawls as a beat cop doing something dirty (not with another man either). I liked the Omar one the best also but he and Butchie are probably my two favorites.
Some heads up on other Season 4 features that are on Video On Demand right now:The Game Is Real- a look at everyday life in Baltimore

The Wire Odyssey- retrospective of Seasons 1-4

It's All Connected

The Last Word- a look ahead at the media focus in Season 5

Wire Tap 4

Speaking of Rawls, since no one else has really explored this (at least that I can find)...

For once I can say that I honestly believe the last season of a show will likely be the best. What a great cast of characters and powerful storyline. It's too bad that whenever someone makes good shows these days they pull the plug so early.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have the Video On Demand feature, I highly recommend catching the half hour featurette called The Last Word. Again, as I mentioned above, this is a look ahead at Season 5 and it's focus on the media- in particular, The Baltimore Sun. Considering that Tribune Co. (which owns of the Baltimore Sun, Los Angeles Times and Chicago Tribune) was just bought today and made a private company, this season couldn't be more timely. I am linking the story below (even though it's a bit long).

I will say that if you are observative, you will notice some things during this featurette that will tell you a little bit about the situations that some of the characters will face this season. And it looks GREAT. Out of the 30 minutes, I would guess that 15 minutes is bits and pieces snipped from episodes in Season 5. Definitely worth a look for those of you who, like me, can't wait for Season 5 to start.

Link

Zell: 'A brave new world' for Tribune

CEO vows change, announces directors

By Michael Oneal | Tribune staff reporter

December 21, 2007

Billionaire Sam Zell on Thursday closed the deal Wall Street thought he never could, stepping in as chairman and chief executive of a newly private Tribune Co. and promising sweeping change in how the beleaguered Chicago-based media conglomerate is managed.

"I'm here to tell you the transaction from hell is done," Zell said at a press conference held Thursday afternoon at Chicago's iconic Tribune Tower. "As far as I'm concerned, today is a brave new world."

Zell sought to drive home that point after he got word about noon that the money to fund his $8.2 billion bid to end Tribune's 24-year run as a public company had finally cleared the banks.

An e-mail arrived promptly in employees' inboxes imploring them to "shed all the things that tied us down in the past." Zell himself swept through the Chicago Tribune newsroom in his trademark jeans and open-neck shirt to press the flesh with employees who will be his Tribune co-owners in a complex structure featuring an employee stock ownership plan.

After the press conference, Zell's handpicked broadcast and Internet chief, Randy Michaels, delivered the first post-close news, announcing a TV management pact with his former company to cut costs and open a new avenue for growth.

"We're gonna try a lot of different things," Michaels said. "We'll get to see what works and see what doesn't."

Zell introduced an eclectic board of directors that includes Jeff Berg, the CEO of Hollywood's International Creative Management, and Brian Greenspun, president of the Las Vegas Sun, who took what the company called a "significant" equity stake. He also said he would lean heavily on Michaels and another longtime associate, Gerry Spector, to help him tear down and rebuild a corporate culture he believes has stunted Tribune's performance.

Zell will play a much bigger day-to-day role at Tribune than he anticipated.

"This is not a career change for me," he said, noting that he will remain as head of his investment firm, Equity Group Investments, and does not plan to hold the CEO title indefinitely. "But I spent six months trying to understand how this company runs, and as I got more educated, it became clearer to me that [chief executive] is the role I needed to play. You call it CEO and I'll call it owner."

Zell takes over from Dennis FitzSimons, who announced on Wednesday that he would step down as Tribune chairman and chief executive. Zell said no other personnel decisions have been made but that "we're evaluating every single person that we interface with."

Spector, who helped build Zell's Equity Residential Properties as chief operating officer, steps in as head of administration, taking on the challenge of crafting a more efficient corporate structure for Tribune.

Zell will oversee Tribune's newspapers, which include the Chicago Tribune and Los Angeles Times. And he reserved for himself the crucial, but delicate, role of managing and paring Tribune's massive $13 billion debt load.

"I think the chief operating officer in charge of debt reduction will be yours truly," he said during a wide-ranging interview held Wednesday at his office in the former Chicago Daily News headquarters.

Zell was short on specifics regarding his plans, but he made it clear his top priority was creating a more logical structure to free up decision-making and encourage innovation.

Emphasis on autonomy

Spector's first task will be asking a crucial question: Is Tribune a single large media company or a conglomerate of small media companies?The hallmark of Tribune management since its acquisition of Times Mirror Co. in 2000 has been centralizing the company to take advantage of both scale and a national footprint. An early idea to sell national advertisers ads across Tribune's stable of newspaper and television stations proved to be a bust. But FitzSimons maintained that national scale was still crucial for building Internet businesses like CareerBuilder.com.

Zell said he hasn't been persuaded that the virtues of scale outweigh the quicksand of bureaucracy.

"Up until now," he said, Tribune "has been run as if it was one media company. I don't believe that that's the optimum structure ... I believe in delegating authority and holding people responsible. But that's not possible if directions come from the top."

Zell plans to give the heads of Tribune's individual units much more autonomy to make decisions and sole responsibility for the bottom line.

Los Angeles Times Publisher David Hiller, for instance, will be in charge of all aspects of that enterprise, reporting to Zell. Ditto for Scott Smith, the publisher of the Chicago Tribune. Until now, FitzSimons and other Chicago executives have been highly involved in forming policy and shaping decisions in the scattered business units -- a system that led to continual turmoil at the Los Angeles Times, where Tribune replaced two publishers and two editors in less than two years.

"Right now," Zell said, "somebody decided that we should put advertising on the front page. I'd like to say to David Hiller, 'You've got bottom-line responsibility.' If advertising on the front page gets you there, that's fine. If you think advertising on the front page is wrong for L.A. and you're gonna get revenue some other way, that's fine. But as long as it's top-down, you can't hold anybody accountable. And if you hold people accountable, you produce results."

Along those lines, Zell said Spector's initial task will be to "zero-budget" the company. That means starting with a clean sheet of paper and building the optimal organization for what needs to get done.

"It's like, 'Do we need a reporter? OK put him here. Do we need a CFO? Put him here,'" Zell said.

Once that exercise is complete, the new team will compare this ideal operation to the existing one, exposing where improvements can be made.

"This was an 160-year-old company that was a monopoly business," Zell said. "The monopoly went away, and the way in which the company functioned and distributed authority never changed."

At the moment, Zell said, "You've got a CFO of [the Chicago] Tribune, you've got a CFO of publishing, and you've got a CFO of the Tribune Co. Why do you have three people doing this? I don't know. That doesn't mean I'm right, but it's an example of the kinds of questions we need to ask. ... I don't think, frankly, the newspaper business has ever been subjected to that kind of clear thinking."

Shake-ups coming in sales

Zell said one emphasis will be shaking up the sales force. He has repeatedly expressed the contrarian view that given Tribune's vast local audiences there has to be a way to sell more ads.

The problem, he said, lies in how Tribune salespeople are compensated and, by extension, what is expected of them.

"We've got to turn newspaper salesmen into being much more aggressive and much more creative," Zell said.

Asked to elaborate, he was succinct: "Leadership. Setting the example. Giving the sales team more freedom to come up with ideas. Every business I've been involved with has been a meritocracy, and by definition a meritocracy encourages people to excel and rewards them accordingly."

The solution may be ripping up a newspaper incentive system that leans too heavily on fixed salary instead of commission.

"I've never met a salesman who didn't love commissions and I've never met someone who didn't like commissions who was a salesman. It's get out there and kick ### and make it happen."

For the Tribune deal to work, Zell said boosting revenue is paramount. Figuring out how to pay down the debt is crucial too. Zell and Tribune are busily preparing the Chicago Cubs, Wrigley Field and a quarter share of Comcast SportsNet for sale -- assets that could fetch more than $1 billion. Zell also said Tribune Entertainment's studio in Los Angeles is on the block and could draw more than $100 million.

Beyond that, Zell wouldn't name his priorities in terms of asset sales, but he did say everything is an option.

Because the Tribune deal involves an S Corporation structure wrapped around an employee stock ownership plan, tax consequences make selling assets problematic. An S-Corp ESOP doesn't pay corporate taxes, but for the first 10 years, it must pay capital gains on asset dispositions. Tribune's long-held assets would tend to generate large tax bills if sold.

After 10 years, however, the capital gains requirement expires. And that, among other things, leaves Zell and his team an opening.

Tax experts say Zell could structure a transaction for just about any asset that would push the official transfer of ownership into the 10th year. This "forward sale" would give Zell tax-deferred money to pay down debt today and push the actual sale to a date past which the tax obligation has expired.

"There's really extraordinary flexibility based on other transactions we've done where we had similar kinds of tax issues. I don't see any reason we can't do that here and we will," Zell said.

So if Hollywood media mogul David Geffen stepped forward once again with an attractive offer for the Los Angeles Times?

"I would have a conversation with anybody, any time about anything."

But he said no conversations are taking place today "and we don't plan to make any immediate dispositions."

The Cubs and Tribune studio deals, however, are likely typical of the assets Zell's team will consider selling early on. The reason: They don't produce much cash flow but can be sold for significant amounts.

Selling the Los Angeles Times, by contrast, would be tricky because it supplies a quarter of Tribune's cash flow, cash needed to pay down debt.

Other low-cash-flow, high-value assets include Tribune's buildings around the country and stray real estate such as parking lots. In January, Tribune has an option to buy all the real estate under the former Times Mirror newspapers for $175 million. It is widely anticipated Zell will seek to "monetize" those assets.

Typically, Zell's assets are under constant internal scrutiny, as analysts evaluate how they fit into the broader company, what value other owners might derive from them and what might be done with the capital if deployed elsewhere.

"We do that every day for every asset we control," Zell said. "Every day you don't sell something, you're buying it. ... We start with no presumptions."

Editorial expectations

Asked if he has specific ideas about Tribune's editorial content, as Rupert Murdoch did when he bought Dow Jones & Co. and expressed an early desire for shorter stories, Zell wouldn't comment.

He did say that the current industry rage for "local, local" news coverage by metropolitan dailies isn't the only road to success. National and international news is in demand too, he said, and Tribune papers should deliver it. But the news game, in Zell's mind, boils down to revenue, fairness and "the recognition that the reader is our customer, not someone we lecture to."

He insisted, "as I've said only 18,000 times," that he has no intention of getting involved in editorial decisions. But for perhaps the first time he qualified that message a bit.

That "is not my objective and not my area of expertise as long as the editorial policies are relevant and truthful," Zell said.

"I won't stand for my newspapers publishing stuff that isn't true or is, in effect, an editorial on the front page. I mean, you read The New York Times sometimes and if you close your eyes you're not sure if you're reading the front page or the editorial page."

Asked what he would do if he had a similar reaction to a Tribune paper, Zell said, "I have no idea what I would do. If it was blatant, I would be very upset."

Zell also pointed out, that after a recent Chicago Tribune article that was mildly disruptive to his efforts to sell Wrigley Field, he did nothing.

"How many calls did you get from me? Zero. That's a perfect example. You wrote what from my perspective was a [expletive] article. But you know, so what?"

Just finished Season 4.

Absolutely ####### brilliant television.

Best Show Ever.

Character development well above the closest competitor.

Better than the Sopranos, and it's not really that close.

Compelling.

BRILLIANT!

I don't know what to say. Cinematically Season 4>>>>>>>>>>>the other seasons and >anything close in television history. The Wire is the New England Patriots of television. The characters are developed better than any show, the substance and reality is beyond anything close, and the execution is impeccable.

The edits were extremely tight, unlike the first three seasons. The heart-wrenching side was there like an ER episode in all 13 episodes. I can't even describe what I think and how disappointed I was in episode 8 when I knew I only had 5 to go. Only the Soprano's did I ever feel a sense of sorrow as I watched the final few episodes of a season. I can't believe they are putting this thing down. This is the Jim Brown of television and it's not even close. What a wonderful, well conceived, well produced, and well intended intended story. Very Mark Twain like. This show will be talked about for decades and for the enthusiasts we are just going to say, I told you so.

As far as season 4 (appreciate all others using these spoilers instead of just throwing stuff out there for those who have yet to see 4 or 5):

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

Bunny was money

The political stuff moved fast and drew the viewer ten times better than season 3. The campaign manager was a great supporting role which the Wire has perfected.

Mike and Weebay's kid were awesome. Weebay also stepped up and told that crazy ##### off. Mike is an up and comer with a solid role in the show and the scene where he had a girl in the bed when you might have thought different was great drama. There are so many subtle things in this show that escape people and that scene along with many others in Season 4 had you shaking your head. Pure unsaturated drama.

Chris and Snoop really developed in Season 4 and Chris showing some love for Michael was good TV. Snoop is not right, but the show is.

Not a good season for Bubbles. I'm hoping for a rebound in season 5. Very sad.

Was the guy Michael shot at the end the guy who harassed Bubs? I thought so but wasn't sure.

Carver became a money cop and Herc an idiot. Didn't see that coming.

The city council president is hot. Real ####### hot.

Like Carcetti a lot. He seems like a likable politician.

Rawls got ####ed and it was funny to see unfold. I knew he would never be Commissioner due to his color. He thought differently so to see him squirm was great.

Butchie and Omar getting the big score was great. I was taken aback when Omar was in jail and it looked like it was the end. Butchie hooked him up though.

So much more to discuss. I think Season 4 was the best of the seasons based on editing alone. The product was nearly perfect. *** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

Doctor Detroit said:

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();
mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("No offense, seriously, but how did you not at least see that one coming?

Herc has had a history of making bad decisions (taking the money from the raid in Season One or Season Two, I can't remember which one right off hand, the camera in the tennis ball, etc). It seemed to me that the writers were setting us up to show that, despite his overall good intentions, Herc was a little too free-wheeling for his own good. And when he got promoted to Sergeant just because he caught Royce getting a hummer, you could pretty much see the writing on the wall. He wasn't going to keep the stripes because he never really earned them. Of course his character is likeable, but he does have flaws. Which is the way any good character should be.

Again, you should watch all of the extra bonus features on the DVD or on the Video On Demand feature while you can. Great stuff. One of the fun things is on the featurette called "The Wire Odyssey". The actors tell how they got their parts, and what parts they were originally auditioning for (ie. Marlo originally auditioned for the role of Cutty, Carcetti's chief assistant originally auditioned for the part of Lester Freamon, Col. Daniels originally auditioned for the part of Bubbles (!), Randy originally auditioned for the part of Namond Brice, Duquan originally auditioned for the part of Michael, etc).

Season 5 has so many things to resolve. And the thing that's really exciting is that David Simon assures the viewers in the featurettes that he doesn't intend to leave any loose ends. (Read: Unlike The Sopranos). The thing sI am looking forward to seeing resolution on:

What becomes of Rawls when his homosexuality is exposed?

What was it that Daniels was hiding from his past, back in the Eastern District?

What happens to Duquan, Randy, Michael and Namond?

Omar vs. Marlo- this is going to be fantastic IMO

What becomes of Bubbles?

Will Carcetti do anything meaningful, or will he be a victim of his own lofty ambition?

Will Clay Davis get his? (I hope so, I think they're setting him up, too)

So many storylines left to develop. Season 5 should be nothing short of amazing.*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***

");document.close();

Doctor Detroit said:

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();
mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("No offense, seriously, but how did you not at least see that one coming?

Herc has had a history of making bad decisions (taking the money from the raid in Season One or Season Two, I can't remember which one right off hand, the camera in the tennis ball, etc). It seemed to me that the writers were setting us up to show that, despite his overall good intentions, Herc was a little too free-wheeling for his own good. And when he got promoted to Sergeant just because he caught Royce getting a hummer, you could pretty much see the writing on the wall. He wasn't going to keep the stripes because he never really earned them. Of course his character is likeable, but he does have flaws. Which is the way any good character should be.

Again, you should watch all of the extra bonus features on the DVD or on the Video On Demand feature while you can. Great stuff. One of the fun things is on the featurette called "The Wire Odyssey". The actors tell how they got their parts, and what parts they were originally auditioning for (ie. Marlo originally auditioned for the role of Cutty, Carcetti's chief assistant originally auditioned for the part of Lester Freamon, Col. Daniels originally auditioned for the part of Bubbles (!), Randy originally auditioned for the part of Namond Brice, Duquan originally auditioned for the part of Michael, etc).

Season 5 has so many things to resolve. And the thing that's really exciting is that David Simon assures the viewers in the featurettes that he doesn't intend to leave any loose ends. (Read: Unlike The Sopranos). The thing sI am looking forward to seeing resolution on:

What becomes of Rawls when his homosexuality is exposed?

What was it that Daniels was hiding from his past, back in the Eastern District?

What happens to Duquan, Randy, Michael and Namond?

Omar vs. Marlo- this is going to be fantastic IMO

What becomes of Bubbles?

Will Carcetti do anything meaningful, or will he be a victim of his own lofty ambition?

Will Clay Davis get his? (I hope so, I think they're setting him up, too)

So many storylines left to develop. Season 5 should be nothing short of amazing.*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***

");document.close();
Dumb, not that dumb though.

Doctor Detroit said:
Just finished Season 4.

Absolutely ####### brilliant television.

Best Show Ever.

Character development well above the closest competitor.

Better than the Sopranos, and it's not really that close.

Compelling.

BRILLIANT!

I don't know what to say. Cinematically Season 4>>>>>>>>>>>the other seasons and >anything close in television history. The Wire is the New England Patriots of television. The characters are developed better than any show, the substance and reality is beyond anything close, and the execution is impeccable.

The edits were extremely tight, unlike the first three seasons. The heart-wrenching side was there like an ER episode in all 13 episodes. I can't even describe what I think and how disappointed I was in episode 8 when I knew I only had 5 to go. Only the Soprano's did I ever feel a sense of sorrow as I watched the final few episodes of a season. I can't believe they are putting this thing down. This is the Jim Brown of television and it's not even close. What a wonderful, well conceived, well produced, and well intended intended story. Very Mark Twain like. This show will be talked about for decades and for the enthusiasts we are just going to say, I told you so.

As far as season 4 (appreciate all others using these spoilers instead of just throwing stuff out there for those who have yet to see 4 or 5):

Bunny was money

The political stuff moved fast and drew the viewer ten times better than season 3. The campaign manager was a great supporting role which the Wire has perfected.

Mike and Weebay's kid were awesome. Weebay also stepped up and told that crazy ##### off. Mike is an up and comer with a solid role in the show and the scene where he had a girl in the bed when you might have thought different was great drama. There are so many subtle things in this show that escape people and that scene along with many others in Season 4 had you shaking your head. Pure unsaturated drama.

Chris and Snoop really developed in Season 4 and Chris showing some love for Michael was good TV. Snoop is not right, but the show is.

Not a good season for Bubbles. I'm hoping for a rebound in season 5. Very sad.

Was the guy Michael shot at the end the guy who harassed Bubs? I thought so but wasn't sure.

The city council president is hot. Real ####### hot.

Like Carcetti a lot. He seems like a likable politician.

Rawls got ####ed and it was funny to see unfold. I knew he would never be Commissioner due to his color. He thought differently so to see him squirm was great.

Butchie and Omar getting the big score was great. I was taken aback when Omar was in jail and it looked like it was the end. Butchie hooked him up though.

So much more to discuss. I think Season 4 was the best of the seasons based on editing alone. The product was nearly perfect. *** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();
:confused: :lmao:

Just finished Season 4 and I think I agree with DD -- I think it was the best season so far. The only bad part is McNulty needs to start drinking and whoring again! He's more fun that way.

Season 5 premiere = :shrug: It's on Video On Demand right now (at least it is here).

First off- the opening sequence with Bunk and associates giving the kid the lie detector test was such a good way to kick off the season. Bunk is so underappreciated in this show.

I think I'm really going to like the media angle of this season. As with the rest of the seasons, some very compelling characters already, and it's only one episode. Just like every other business you have corruption, backstabbing, pettiness, and some people who are actually busting their ### to try to do the right thing. I'm looking forward to learning a little bit about how a newspaper department does their day-to-day.

Herc is quickly becoming one of the tragic figures of the show. It sucks to see that he's gotten in bed with the slimebag attorney. Despite his flaws, Herc is one of my favorite characters.

The Marlo/Prop Joe/Co-Op storyline is going to rock this season. You know Marlo is still smarting from the shipment heist, and you know he suspects that he was taken, even though he had no better alternatives at the time. This and the Omar situation is going to probably be the best part of this season.

I think the casting of Carcetti and his advisor Norman were about the best the show has done. You felt for Carcetti when he was campaigning because you knew he genuinely had noble intentions. And now that he's knee deep in the politics, he's already backing out on his promises. Maybe it's naive to think so, but I think that's probably what happens with a lot of politicians.

I'd like to say that it's good to see McNulty back to his old self, but that wouldn't be true. It's sad that you can't even make a very good excuse for him.

It's also sad that this episode represents the start of the end for this show. I dread the end of this show more than I did with The Sopranos, and I thought at the time that would never happen. But there you have it. The Wire is easily the best show on TV right now.

OK, haven't read anything up to this point.

I never watched this when it was on, but I just got seasons 1, 2 and 3 on DVD.

How many seasons are there total? Which is the best? I liked season 1 a lot. Will probably start season 2 today.

OK, haven't read anything up to this point. I never watched this when it was on, but I just got seasons 1, 2 and 3 on DVD. How many seasons are there total? Which is the best? I liked season 1 a lot. Will probably start season 2 today.
This season is the fifth and last. IMO, the fourth season was the best, followed by 1, 3, and then 2 is far inferior. I'll echo DD - this is the most compelling, sad at times, often horrifying, and brilliant television I have ever seen.

OK, haven't read anything up to this point. I never watched this when it was on, but I just got seasons 1, 2 and 3 on DVD. How many seasons are there total? Which is the best? I liked season 1 a lot. Will probably start season 2 today.
This season is the fifth and last. IMO, the fourth season was the best, followed by 1, 3, and then 2 is far inferior. I'll echo DD - this is the most compelling, sad at times, often horrifying, and brilliant television I have ever seen.
:hifive: This guy gets it.

nice dude i knew u would dig this ####fifth and final season starts next weekpretty hard to pick a best they are all excellentmethod man is in season 2 quite a bit though

nice...

spacer.gif
spacer.gif
THE FINAL SEASON

9 pm Sunday, Or See It First on HBO on Demand

spacer.gif

The places and faces change, but the game remains the same.

The Wire begins, Sunday at 9 pm.

Greatest TV show ever created. The first ep of Season 5 is pretty good too.
How many episodes? I'm already thinking of re-watching season 4 to confirm it might have been the single greatest season of any show I've ever seen. Also for all my homeys, please use spoiler tags for specific season 5 chat. U herd? :goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: This guy gets it.
I wouldnt call season 2 FAR inferior. It just is different because it follows the working man and the union as well as what is going on in the hood. I find that season rather compelling honestly.

I don't get how people can love this show and think Season 2 sucked. Some of the best characters of any season of this show were in Season 2. I think some people here are getting too wrapped up in the fact that this show has portrayed the urban element in such a unique and engrossing fashion that they're starting to think the show is supposed to mainly be about the street. It's not. It's about the entire city. Yes, the street characters are fascinating, but they're just a part of the whole picture.

And when people say "Season 2 is about the docks", that statement is far too narrowly focused. A lot of fantastic plot and character development that had nothing to do with the docks was done in Season 2.

Take out Season 2 and a lot of parts of this show wouldn't make sense.

Agreed. I actually find Season 3 to be the slowest. Season 3 has some "big moments" that people tout but overall it's not up to the par of Seasons 1 or 4, or perhaps even 2.

Agreed. I actually find Season 3 to be the slowest. Season 3 has some "big moments" that people tout but overall it's not up to the par of Seasons 1 or 4, or perhaps even 2.
I think I agree with this but season 3 debuted Cutty who is one of my favorite characters. Agree with the season 2 love.

I know the playoffs are on, but this thread was on page 11 when the final season is debuting tonight!!!

So they had "The Wire" premiere at the Senator Theater in Baltimore last night. David Simon, as you know, was a writer for The Baltimore Sun and this series is based off of what he saw during his time here. Well, Ed Norris, who was Police Comissioner for a few years before he got taken out by the Govoner and his staff for speaking his mind and not being a company man has a reoccuring part in the series. Both Simon and Norris stand firmly behind the fact that this show is a very good depiction of life in the inner city of Baltimore as well as how the Police department is run and the bias of the media.

Meanwhile the current Mayor, Shelia Dixon, was doing her best to downplay the similarities between the show and her city. There were also a few protestors complaining that this show makes the black men in Baltimore look bad. Speaking from my limited experience and knowledge of the city(I work there), the show is right on.

Last year Baltimore had 274 murders. 44 murders for every 100,000 people which puts them 2nd to only New Orleans. It's also ironic that over the past few weeks there have been numerous incidents involving Baltimore City middle school students committing violent crimes and assaults on MTA City buses. The stories have been all over the news here. I'm excited to see how they portray the Baltimore Sun in this season.

Less than 6 hours for those who are waiting to see it on live HBO. :hophead:

Good start to the new season. It jumped around a bit, but I think it had to in order to update us and introduce the new aspects of the season. Previews look great!!
mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("Pumped for the return of Mr. Avon Barksdale!

Can't wait for next week. *** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***

");document.close();

Users who are viewing this thread