What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: *** JaMarcus Russell Thread *** (1 Viewer)

I think he goes fairly high in the first. He did not impress me as a rookie. Last year, he made great strides in a very difficult situation. Although not a scrambler, he is extremely hard to bring down. Blitzing DB's sometimes fail to do so even with a clean look. I think he completes 62% of his passes this year, gets 24+ TD's and goes top 10;

I really like Russell he kind of reminds me of Daunte Culpepper. He has excellent size with good mobility and a big arm. He would probably be the second QB off the board if he were to declare after this season.

BTW I like LSU to beat Auburn next week.

I think Jamarcus Russell is very much an incomplete prospect. One could project him as a top 5 pick and be right, others could paint him as a 2nd rounder and be right. He needs to prove he can deliver consistently solid play...I'm very much on the fence with him until we see him get into the meat of this year's schedule.

I think Jamarcus Russell is very much an incomplete prospect. One could project him as a top 5 pick and be right, others could paint him as a 2nd rounder and be right.
This is very fair. That is why I was curious as to what other people thought. I didn't like him much until mid-way through last year. It will be interesting to see if he can build upon last year and continue to improve.

I think Jamarcus Russell is very much an incomplete prospect. One could project him as a top 5 pick and be right, others could paint him as a 2nd rounder and be right.
This is very fair. That is why I was curious as to what other people thought. I didn't like him much until mid-way through last year. It will be interesting to see if he can build upon last year and continue to improve.
Early in the season here are things I think we're seeing:1) Marshawn Lynch (CAL) is multi-faceted by has to do a lot more to live up to the hype that he's the best NFL pro prospect at RB2) Erik Ainge (TEN), if he can maintain this level of play, will have gone full circle as a key NFL prospect to forgotten man back to a 1st rounder3) Jamarcus Russell (LSU) has the chance to be the apple of some GM's eye. Gaudy numbers plus major program = NFL riches many times4) Brady Quinn (ND) is on cruise control to the 1st overall pick5) Drew Stanton (MSU) doesn't have the manpower to cement himself as an elite pro prospect, he'll need to do solid work at the Bowls and Combine (a la Phil Rivers, Jay Cutler, etc...)6) If there's a better WR in college than Calvin Johnson (GTech) I haven't seen him

I think Jamarcus Russell is very much an incomplete prospect. One could project him as a top 5 pick and be right, others could paint him as a 2nd rounder and be right. He needs to prove he can deliver consistently solid play...I'm very much on the fence with him until we see him get into the meat of this year's schedule.
Physically, he is that top 5 prospect, and while I don't recall seeing him play poorly, I have never seen him really deliver to the level of his physical talent. No matter when he comes out, there will be some QB coach who thinks he has the magic formula to completing the promise of raw skill. Right now I view him as a total boom or bust pro.

LSU ALUM

RUSSELL is .. well . .a project ... he has MADE HUGE strides since last season ...

his arm is NFL material ...

he isnt a real runner .. a slower version of CULPEPPER ( pre injury )

i see a mid to late # 2 rd pick

Jason Wood said:
I think this sums him up a couple games into his Junior year. I also think he needs to stay in school, but he could change my mind come bowl season. Depending on who declares I like a half dozen QBs better than Russell right now. I don't think he has a chance at the first round, and suspect he's a candidate for the second round at this point. But he could fall as easily as rise.

Wow...I was really impressed with Troy Smith tonight. Not just his play (which obviously was stellar), but how well spoken and mature he was in post game interviews. He said all the right things (kept deferring praise to his line and his coaches for their game planning, wouldn't take the bait on this being a revenge game, etc...). He's the kind of kid (ability, leadership, poise on and off the field) who I could see being an NFL signal caller for sure.

Wow...I was really impressed with Troy Smith tonight. Not just his play (which obviously was stellar), but how well spoken and mature he was in post game interviews. He said all the right things (kept deferring praise to his line and his coaches for their game planning, wouldn't take the bait on this being a revenge game, etc...). He's the kind of kid (ability, leadership, poise on and off the field) who I could see being an NFL signal caller for sure.
I've been singing his praises for a long time. A thread was just started. I think he is a great prospect.

Just got back from the LSU game. Russel is a project, but he is a monster. He can throw the ball like in the 2004 Madden games when the QB can be turned around and throw over their shoulder 60 yards with such ease. His problem is that he doesn't use the arm strength for velocity. He floats the ball way too much that I think SEC defenses are going to be able to catch up and make a play on his balls. Now, Russel had a shoulder injury at the end of last year, and I don't know if that maybe a reason, or how he is feeling, but we will soon see if he can step up his game next week. It does seems like he does grasp the playbook better this season.

So the Tigers went 10-2 with a very ugly schedule. Russell completed 68% of his passes and had a 26-7 TD to INT ratio. What are thoughts on him now?

So the Tigers went 10-2 with a very ugly schedule. Russell completed 68% of his passes and had a 26-7 TD to INT ratio. What are thoughts on him now?
Stud. What has impressed me the most over the last 3 weeks is his ability to throw on the run. A couple of the throws he made in the first half against Bama and yesterday at Arkie were big league. He is big, fast, agile, and from reports I've heard intelligent and coachable. The only criticism is that he (and LSU in general) have a tendency to make mental errors or take plays off, but so do 90% of the players and teams in America. I believe he'll be a very high pick.

does anyone out there have a stronger arm? some of those throws against tenn. didn't seem to "drop" at all...it's like his throws are impervious to gravity.

Stud. What has impressed me the most over the last 3 weeks is his ability to throw on the run. A couple of the throws he made in the first half against Bama and yesterday at Arkie were big league. He is big, fast, agile, and from reports I've heard intelligent and coachable. The only criticism is that he (and LSU in general) have a tendency to make mental errors or take plays off, but so do 90% of the players and teams in America. I believe he'll be a very high pick.
I don't think he has the tendency to make mental errors at all. I can think of one mental error he made all year and that was in the 4th quarter at Auburn when he ran the ball instead of throwing it out of bounds - this was a big mental error though. There is no way in hell that he takes plays off. He is great at checking off and finding his 2nd and 3rd receivers and he throws a great slant and screen pass. He is a natural leader who has lead LSU back in the 4th quarter on 8 different occasions.

If there was a knock on him, I would say it's his speed. He is very slow. Think Leftwich here. He put up some good rushing numbers, but that is b/c he made intelligent decisions on when to run. Also, he has tended to overthrow some deep balls.

Overall, when he comes out this year, he will definitely be a 1st round pick. I haven't seen enough of the other QBs play this year to accurately rank him, but I can guarantee that none of them have the physical attributes that he has. He is an old school pocket passer who is ridiculously hard to bring down b/c of his size.

Above all, he is a winner and a leader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Russell either wins LSU games, or he loses them. It really depends solely on his play.

The comparisons to Culpepper are somewhat confusing to me....Russell is a decent prospect, and very well could end up a first round pick, but hes closer to Byron Leftwich than Culepper. He doesnt nearly have the mobility to be the running threat that Culpepper is(was) in the NFL.

It will greatly depend on how he works out in the Senior Bowl and at the combine. My initial guess would be hes a late first rounder to a playoff caliber team who is getting long-in-the-tooth at QB, such as Baltimore or Kansas City, with the possibility of moving up with excellent workouts.

Senior bowl? They inviting juniors now?

I think maybe yall are too prone to try to make him equal to someone. He has some attributes of Culpepper and some of Leftwich...its not an either or situation.

His arm is the strongest Ive seen in college. His is more mobile than Leftwich, but less than Culpepper.

He is a good leader. He had to deal with lots of pressure here at LSU. Lots of idiot fans wanted to see the him benched after any loss.

Physically, as a pocketpasser, he is a terrific prospect. He is mobile enough to avoid the rush, unlike Leftwich. He is not slow once he gets started, he is just slow to get started.

Russell either wins LSU games, or he loses them. It really depends solely on his play. The comparisons to Culpepper are somewhat confusing to me....Russell is a decent prospect, and very well could end up a first round pick, but hes closer to Byron Leftwich than Culepper. He doesnt nearly have the mobility to be the running threat that Culpepper is(was) in the NFL. It will greatly depend on how he works out in the Senior Bowl and at the combine. My initial guess would be hes a late first rounder to a playoff caliber team who is getting long-in-the-tooth at QB, such as Baltimore or Kansas City, with the possibility of moving up with excellent workouts.
Please tell me which games Russel has lost for LSU and why.TIA

Senior bowl? They inviting juniors now?I think maybe yall are too prone to try to make him equal to someone. He has some attributes of Culpepper and some of Leftwich...its not an either or situation.His arm is the strongest Ive seen in college. His is more mobile than Leftwich, but less than Culpepper.He is a good leader. He had to deal with lots of pressure here at LSU. Lots of idiot fans wanted to see the him benched after any loss.Physically, as a pocketpasser, he is a terrific prospect. He is mobile enough to avoid the rush, unlike Leftwich. He is not slow once he gets started, he is just slow to get started.
very :goodposting:

something to think about

RUSSELL comes from a family that doesnt need the money right now ... his family is secure already ... he has said he really wanted to play for a championship .. he is losing his best friend ( from what friends who still go to LSU say ) .. in D>Bowe - wr ( senior ) .. its going to be a toss up if he comes back

if he stays another year .. he could be the first Qb taken in 2007 .... especially if LSU finds a true # 1 Rb next year ..they are talented enough to run the table next year

something to think about RUSSELL comes from a family that doesnt need the money right now ... his family is secure already ... he has said he really wanted to play for a championship .. he is losing his best friend ( from what friends who still go to LSU say ) .. in D>Bowe - wr ( senior ) .. its going to be a toss up if he comes back if he stays another year .. he could be the first Qb taken in 2007 .... especially if LSU finds a true # 1 Rb next year ..they are talented enough to run the table next year
I agree with this. He is certianly not a lock to leave LSU. They will be ranked real high preseason and have a favorable schedule (similar to the one in 2003) to make a National Championship run. They will lose some WRs and Safeties, but they are deep there. I agree that it will be hard for him to pass up a possible first round spot this year, but imo, one more year at LSU and you're talking 1st or 2nd pick in the draft with Heisman & National Champs possibilites.

something to think about RUSSELL comes from a family that doesnt need the money right now ... his family is secure already ... he has said he really wanted to play for a championship .. he is losing his best friend ( from what friends who still go to LSU say ) .. in D>Bowe - wr ( senior ) .. its going to be a toss up if he comes back if he stays another year .. he could be the first Qb taken in 2007 .... especially if LSU finds a true # 1 Rb next year ..they are talented enough to run the table next year
I agree with this. He is certianly not a lock to leave LSU. They will be ranked real high preseason and have a favorable schedule (similar to the one in 2003) to make a National Championship run. They will lose some WRs and Safeties, but they are deep there. I agree that it will be hard for him to pass up a possible first round spot this year, but imo, one more year at LSU and you're talking 1st or 2nd pick in the draft with Heisman & National Champs possibilites.
If Russell stays, LSU will easily be a top 5 team and gets all of their hard teams @ home (Va Tech, Arkansas, Florida, Auburn, South Carolina) and would have an increadible shot at the NC.

Russell either wins LSU games, or he loses them. It really depends solely on his play. The comparisons to Culpepper are somewhat confusing to me....Russell is a decent prospect, and very well could end up a first round pick, but hes closer to Byron Leftwich than Culepper. He doesnt nearly have the mobility to be the running threat that Culpepper is(was) in the NFL. It will greatly depend on how he works out in the Senior Bowl and at the combine. My initial guess would be hes a late first rounder to a playoff caliber team who is getting long-in-the-tooth at QB, such as Baltimore or Kansas City, with the possibility of moving up with excellent workouts.
Please tell me which games Russel has lost for LSU and why.TIA
It's just like the Aaron Brooks thing. He's not soley responsible for any losses, but he certainly didn't help in the Florida game or the Auburn game. He could have won those games for LSU, instead he played at the same average level as the rest of the team.I think he'll be a pretty high draft choice, but he's not Culpepper. He's not nearly mobile enough for that comparison. He's got a cannon arm, but I have some questions about his touch. He, also, doesn't seem like he's great at reading coverage. He makes way too many questionable throws. In college, when LSU is playing against the likes of ULL and Tulane, he can get away with it because his receivers go up and make plays for him, but that crap won't fly in the NFL.I think he can be a good pro, but make no mistake, he's not a finished product.

Senior bowl? They inviting juniors now?I think maybe yall are too prone to try to make him equal to someone. He has some attributes of Culpepper and some of Leftwich...its not an either or situation.His arm is the strongest Ive seen in college. His is more mobile than Leftwich, but less than Culpepper.He is a good leader. He had to deal with lots of pressure here at LSU. Lots of idiot fans wanted to see the him benched after any loss.Physically, as a pocketpasser, he is a terrific prospect. He is mobile enough to avoid the rush, unlike Leftwich. He is not slow once he gets started, he is just slow to get started.
:goodposting:

It's just like the Aaron Brooks thing.
Comparing Brooks to Russell is absolutley ridiculous. Typical "black QB" thing I hear around here all the time. Not calling you racist, but there are many around here who think Russell doesn't make good decisions b/c he's black, even though he's been the best QB in LSU history. :rolleyes:
He's not soley responsible for any losses, but he certainly didn't help in the Florida game or the Auburn game. He could have won those games for LSU, instead he played at the same average level as the rest of the team.
Auburn game - LSU lost this game b/c of playcalling. They didn't open up the field until they absolutely had to during the last drive. I've already alluded to the mistake made by Russel by taking the sack instead of throwing it out of bounds; but that play alone didn't lose the game. Florida game - Are you freaking kidding me? 5 turnovers lost the game. A muffed punt, a safety in the endzone, botched handoff (not Russell's fault - watch the replay) and 2 INTs off of tipped passes (again, not Russel's fault). No way did Russel cost the game.
I think he'll be a pretty high draft choice, but he's not Culpepper. He's not nearly mobile enough for that comparison. He's got a cannon arm, but I have some questions about his touch.
I'll give you this
He, also, doesn't seem like he's great at reading coverage. He makes way too many questionable throws. In college, when LSU is playing against the likes of ULL and Tulane, he can get away with it because his receivers go up and make plays for him, but that crap won't fly in the NFL.
Not sure how a guy with a 70% completion percentage can make too many questionable throws :shrug: That's top 5 QB stuff we're talking here and you have to factor dropped passes in there.

tiger,

was he a saban guy? I shudder to think the dolphins will waste another draft pick on a QB, but could this happen?

Gatorman said:
tiger,was he a saban guy? I shudder to think the dolphins will waste another draft pick on a QB, but could this happen?
Saban is a defensive guy, so I would say he is more of a Jimbo Fisher guy. I can't see Miami spending a pick on him with trading for both Culpepper and Harrington. Saban will take a long look at Laron Laundry, eventhough they need O-lin help. Laundry knows that defense well.

I am sticking with my early September prediction of top 10, if/when he comes out. I know Colin has he slated to go high. What they the rest of you as the early mocks get fired up.

I am sticking with my early September prediction of top 10, if/when he comes out. I know Colin has he slated to go high. What they the rest of you as the early mocks get fired up.
I see him as high as #2 to the Raiders (based on current draft order) and no lower then 11 to Carolina (based on current draft order). I think that it's entirely likely he'll end up in Tampa unless they re-sign Simms or try and bring in someone like Carr. That's where I have him mocked right now. He could as easily end up in Houston (5), Cleveland (6), Minnesota (9), Kansas City (15), Jacksonville (24), or Baltimore (29).No way does that arm make it out of round 1 if he comes out.colin

I see him as high as #2 to the Raiders (based on current draft order) and no lower then 11 to Carolina (based on current draft order). I think that it's entirely likely he'll end up in Tampa unless they re-sign Simms or try and bring in someone like Carr. That's where I have him mocked right now. He could as easily end up in Houston (5), Cleveland (6), Minnesota (9), Kansas City (15), Jacksonville (24), or Baltimore (29).No way does that arm make it out of round 1 if he comes out.colin
Didn't Tampa already re-sign Simms?

I agree with Colin, I see him as almost a lock for the top 10.

Didn't Tampa already re-sign Simms?
Not that I'm aware of.

I easily see a top 10. It will be evident once the combine comes.

80Giants10 said:
I think he will be the second QB taken, but I dont think hes very good.... he has a cannon but makes too many mistakes and I just dont see him being a great QB. he probably will start for a few years in the NFL though.
2797 yards 68.5% 26TD 7INT 168.10 QB rating. What mistakes has he made? Has he made mistakes? Yes. Did he lose the Florida game? His play did not help, but the entire team played bad. I think he will benefit for sitting one year and learn the offense before he gets the start.

I put him in the top 10 of my second mock and tried to find a way to move him higher (than 8).

I put him in the top 10 of my second mock and tried to find a way to move him higher (than 8).
That's cause you know things.

Dt said:
Joe T said:
I'm pretty sure this guy has the biggest football arm on planet Earth.
:goodposting:
i've never seen anyone with a stronger arm...i'm not going to say that he can throw it further than anyone else on earth, but i've never seen anyone throw it on more of a "line"
The guy who occurs to me in this regard would be Jeff George, who could seemingly throw 60 yard lasers downfield flat-footed. How does he compare to George?

Users who are viewing this thread