What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:MERGED: Shark Pool Discussion and Ideas (1 Viewer)

ryoly

Footballguy
Guys I've been visiting this page solidly and religiously since the daya when it was called "CHEATSHEETS"; that's probably 5-6 years ago, and have been a regular subscriber to the "Premiun Services" since the day it was started, matter of fact, the last 2 years I've dropped all the other paying subscriptions I adhered to...

I come to the Shark Pool to get "USEFULL INFORMATION". but it seems to me that the "Pool" is becoming more of a place where guys come in to express their own biased personal opinions about different players acording to their own personal views, based on their own vested interests accordingly as to wether they own that particular player or not...

A few minutes ago I checked the "Premiun" cheatsheets, to discover that Ahman Green was not even listed in the projection list; which inmediately prompted me to go to the Shark Pool to try and gather and collect any usefull new information about Green...sure enough there was a thread about Green and a hamstring injury condition....

After reading 2 pages of a thread about the subject at hand, I've come away with the very dissapointing conclusion that there's more personal opinions being shared about wether Morency or Herron are gonna be "Studs", than I could find about Green's status and physical condition or wether he had even been ruled out of Sunday's game, or wether he would play at all...

A bunch of argumentative BS about the backups, is not going to help anyone that is looking for solid information about the injury surrounding Green...

Joe Bryant and Mods, consider, "LETS BE EXCELLENT TO ONE ANOTHER", needs to be readdressed here soon; this incident I'm bringing up is not an isolated incident; this is becoming too common...

To the rest of the "Pool Sharks" community, please feel free to chime in,...If I've overreacted on this matter, please let me know in no uncertain words...I would like to see the "Shark Pool" remain what it's always been; the best source of information in the Fantasy Football World....

Guys I've been visiting this page solidly and religiously since the daya when it was called "CHEATSHEETS"; that's probably 5-6 years ago, and have been a regular subscriber to the "Premiun Services" since the day it was started, matter of fact, the last 2 years I've dropped all the other paying subscriptions I adhered to... I come to the Shark Pool to get "USEFULL INFORMATION". but it seems to me that the "Pool" is becoming more of a place where guys come in to express their own biased personal opinions about different players acording to their own personal views, based on their own vested interests accordingly as to wether they own that particular player or not...A few minutes ago I checked the "Premiun" cheatsheets, to discover that Ahman Green was not even listed in the projection list; which inmediately prompted me to go to the Shark Pool to try and gather and collect any usefull new information about Green...sure enough there was a thread about Green and a hamstring injury condition....After reading 2 pages of a thread about the subject at hand, I've come away with the very dissapointing conclusion that there's more personal opinions being shared about wether Morency or Herron are gonna be "Studs", than I could find about Green's status and physical condition or wether he had even been ruled out of Sunday's game, or wether he would play at all...A bunch of argumentative BS about the backups, is not going to help anyone that is looking for solid information about the injury surrounding Green...Joe Bryant and Mods, consider, "LETS BE EXCELLENT TO ONE ANOTHER", needs to be readdressed here soon; this incident I'm bringing up is not an isolated incident; this is becoming too common...To the rest of the "Pool Sharks" community, please feel free to chime in,...If I've overreacted on this matter, please let me know in no uncertain words...I would like to see the "Shark Pool" remain what it's always been; the best source of information in the Fantasy Football World....
I would let you know, but I'm not really certain...perhaps, I think...maybe...under certain circumstances...

Guys I've been visiting this page solidly and religiously since the daya when it was called "CHEATSHEETS"; that's probably 5-6 years ago, and have been a regular subscriber to the "Premiun Services" since the day it was started, matter of fact, the last 2 years I've dropped all the other paying subscriptions I adhered to... I come to the Shark Pool to get "USEFULL INFORMATION". but it seems to me that the "Pool" is becoming more of a place where guys come in to express their own biased personal opinions about different players acording to their own personal views, based on their own vested interests accordingly as to wether they own that particular player or not...A few minutes ago I checked the "Premiun" cheatsheets, to discover that Ahman Green was not even listed in the projection list; which inmediately prompted me to go to the Shark Pool to try and gather and collect any usefull new information about Green...sure enough there was a thread about Green and a hamstring injury condition....After reading 2 pages of a thread about the subject at hand, I've come away with the very dissapointing conclusion that there's more personal opinions being shared about wether Morency or Herron are gonna be "Studs", than I could find about Green's status and physical condition or wether he had even been ruled out of Sunday's game, or wether he would play at all...A bunch of argumentative BS about the backups, is not going to help anyone that is looking for solid information about the injury surrounding Green...Joe Bryant and Mods, consider, "LETS BE EXCELLENT TO ONE ANOTHER", needs to be readdressed here soon; this incident I'm bringing up is not an isolated incident; this is becoming too common...To the rest of the "Pool Sharks" community, please feel free to chime in,...If I've overreacted on this matter, please let me know in no uncertain words...I would like to see the "Shark Pool" remain what it's always been; the best source of information in the Fantasy Football World....
No one knows the extent of Ahman Green's injury. All we have is he tweaked his hammy. So not much to discuss other than the effect on other players. There's a lot worse stuff in the Shark Pool that mods could go after. There's not much being excellent to each other going around.

I understand to an extent. I did not read the Green thread, but I'm sure there must have been an up to date link provided giving you the status of the situation. You may have had to cipher through some posts, but you should still be able to get the relevant information.

I'm not sure there is much Joe and the other Mods can do when this part of the site is free. Also, pimping your personal interests is not exactly breaking the rule of excellence.

To my knowledge, no one has reported that thread as a problem.

I read the thread and saw the back and forth over virtually nothing, so I can understand the concern, but right now all there is to date is conjecture and speculation.

As for when a player is not listed in the rankings - I'd check the Blogger for a news update first and then the Pool. That's just me, but often you'll find hype and banter over sudden news. Many will be :cry: about maybe losing a player, whereas others will be guessing over who's the fill in and the reprocussions to the team even before a player is even ruled out.

It is a free-flowing forum, so at points in time you will see argumentative banter in the Shark Pool. It is going to happen. As long as everyone feels that they can contribute to the pool and that it is relatively clean, you can find what you need.

If you feel otherwise, the fastest way to get attention to a thread is by reporting it. That's where we can come in, often quickly.

No one knows the extent of Ahman Green's injury. All we have is he tweaked his hammy. So not much to discuss other than the effect on other players.
I have to agree with this assessment. As to the state of our boards, we'll continue to do the best we can with what we have. We see a very small percentage of the posts. It comes down to using the report button if something bothers you. If it's reported, we act on it, or at least send you back a PM letting you know that the post is fine. If you don't report it, well, then you endorse it. The boards remain free and will be what you make of them. Please don't hesitate to start your own threads and contribute whatever you feel is high quality material.

I think I know what you're trying to get at but you may be a bit off target. I haven't read the thread that you referenced but, to me, it's OK to have some personal opinion mixed in. Some threads end up going overboard with it but there's not much that can be done about that.

The thing I'm finding more and more frustrating about this board is that too many people think they are comedians and try to be the fastest with the next zinger. Again, some of that is OK (and actually a welcome relief) but when half of the thread is one-liners, it gets pretty old pretty quickly.

Unfortunatley, I don't think there's much that can be done about that and I certainly wouldn't want to see everyone turn into the fun police. Hopefully this is just a cycle and people will back off a little.

Just my 2 cents...(one-liners certain to follow from budding comedians)

Concerning the Green thread you mentioned, I don't really mind that two guys want to duke it out over issues tangential to the Green injury. But the problem is , as you mentioned, if you are looking for info on the Green injury only you have to scroll down through all of their interminable copied postings. In such cases where things have gone astray I am in favor of being able to open a fresh thread that will only address the issue at hand. However, when you even propose such a thing you get 100 crybabies and self-nominated forum police screaming about the Search function and mocking you for not having the intellectual wherewithall to be able jump into a preexisting thread, no matter how cluttered with extraneous matters it is. Just once, I'd like to be excellent to one of those morons and shove that Search function where the sun don't shine.

The thing I'm finding more and more frustrating about this board is that too many people think they are comedians and try to be the fastest with the next zinger. Again, some of that is OK (and actually a welcome relief) but when half of the thread is one-liners, it gets pretty old pretty quickly.Unfortunatley, I don't think there's much that can be done about that and I certainly wouldn't want to see everyone turn into the fun police. Hopefully this is just a cycle and people will back off a little.Just my 2 cents...(one-liners certain to follow from budding comedians)
I agree with this assessment, but I think this can be attributed to the dynamic of an anonymous message board. Not a new phenomenon. I doubt you'll find a board that doesn't have these same characteristics.

I think I know what you're trying to get at but you may be a bit off target. I haven't read the thread that you referenced but, to me, it's OK to have some personal opinion mixed in. Some threads end up going overboard with it but there's not much that can be done about that.The thing I'm finding more and more frustrating about this board is that too many people think they are comedians and try to be the fastest with the next zinger. Again, some of that is OK (and actually a welcome relief) but when half of the thread is one-liners, it gets pretty old pretty quickly.Unfortunatley, I don't think there's much that can be done about that and I certainly wouldn't want to see everyone turn into the fun police. Hopefully this is just a cycle and people will back off a little.Just my 2 cents...(one-liners certain to follow from budding comedians)
Agreed. It's best to stick to NFL news and thoughts there. The FFA is open mic for the guys that want to try the one liners.J

Concerning the Green thread you mentioned, I don't really mind that two guys want to duke it out over issues tangential to the Green injury. But the problem is , as you mentioned, if you are looking for info on the Green injury only you have to scroll down through all of their interminable copied postings. In such cases where things have gone astray I am in favor of being able to open a fresh thread that will only address the issue at hand. However, when you even propose such a thing you get 100 crybabies and self-nominated forum police screaming about the Search function and mocking you for not having the intellectual wherewithall to be able jump into a preexisting thread, no matter how cluttered with extraneous matters it is. Just once, I'd like to be excellent to one of those morons and shove that Search function where the sun don't shine.
:thumbup: I agree with this totally. Sometimes opinions are all we have until some more info makes itself available.I don't mind people posting their own conjecture. In fact, I often think about situations/players in ways I might not have come up with on my own. When a pissing match ensues, I simply keep scrolling on by. It'spretty easy to discern quality opinion from crybaby rhetoric most of the time. My two cents.

Gettin' a little stuffy in here, boys.

Look, I go for the serious info just the same as the next guy, but that's also what the newswire is for. I think some forget that we are PLAYIN' A GAME HERE. It's supposed to be fun. I think I can figure out which is the bull and which is the BS.

However, JB, it's your house, your house rules... make it as serious as you want.

Gettin' a little stuffy in here, boys.Look, I go for the serious info just the same as the next guy, but that's also what the newswire is for. I think some forget that we are PLAYIN' A GAME HERE. It's supposed to be fun. I think I can figure out which is the bull and which is the BS. However, JB, it's your house, your house rules... make it as serious as you want.
I don't think anyone wants it to be 100% serious...that would be really boring. IMHO though, too many people think they are just a little too funny and it gets old after awhile. At least try to add something rather than only going for a joke or a dig on someone's grammar.Again, just my 2 cents. Still love this board and will always come to it.

To my knowledge, no one has reported that thread as a problem.

I read the thread and saw the back and forth over virtually nothing, so I can understand the concern, but right now all there is to date is conjecture and speculation.

As for when a player is not listed in the rankings - I'd check the Blogger for a news update first and then the Pool. That's just me, but often you'll find hype and banter over sudden news. Many will be :cry: about maybe losing a player, whereas others will be guessing over who's the fill in and the reprocussions to the team even before a player is even ruled out.

It is a free-flowing forum, so at points in time you will see argumentative banter in the Shark Pool. It is going to happen. As long as everyone feels that they can contribute to the pool and that it is relatively clean, you can find what you need.

If you feel otherwise, the fastest way to get attention to a thread is by reporting it. That's where we can come in, often quickly.
September 22, 2006, 14:45

Packers :: RB

RB A. Green Injures Hamstring, Status Unclear

Todd Korth, Packers Report - [Full Article]

Green Bay Packers RB Ahman Green was injured in practice this week, and the team may be without their best running back on Sunday against the Detroit Lions. HC Mike McCarthy today revealed that Green injured his hamstring in practice this week and was held out of Friday's session. Green was unavailable for comment, and was not listed on Thursday's injury report. If Green is unable to play, RBs Noah Herron and Vernand Morency will share in running the ball if Green is unable to play.

Part of it is the fact the forum is getting more popular. It doesn't mean bigger sites are worse or the "pool" gets ruined. The noise level goes up, but there's also more opinions and input. For the true sharks, the extra "noise" you talk about, is actually useful information. How?When people debate backups, who will be studs, who they like, it gives you a good glimpse on perception of players. Someone who I think has no value sitting on my bench, to someone is a great "sleeper" who is going to be a "stud in 2007". So when you see 5-6-7 people talking about Noah being a stud and starting next year, that tells me he might be worth a pickup, hope he plays (2-3 big runs) then I can sell high on Monday. One thing that never changes, is how different people's perceptions are on value/players. So the extra "noise" of the pool, is still interesting to see how the ebb and flow of player valuations. When Cotchery is the next Boldin, that's something you want to use against people in your league, if you own him. You might think he's a jet WR, with an iffy QB, in a bad system. But there are some people out there who think he's the next great thing. Listen if the Pool was just Joe and Dodds talking back and forth about every player in the league, it would be boring and fairly pointless. They probably do not represent most people in our leagues. Now this mostly plays up the trading part of FF, which is taboo among some, but if you play in a dynasty league, making smart trades, playing on the emotions of your league mates, early season ups/downs, is key in building a true dynasty. I don't trade for players I like. I trade for value, however it comes. If someone offers me more value, regardless of the players involved, I'll usually take it. So getting a feel for the pulse of the FF community, on 400+ players, is pretty important for me. I don't see any reason to lock things down, there are very few posts here that are useless. Even one the one liners about Ron Dayne being worthless, showed us the polarity of people's views, 1/2 the people in your league would laugh at any offer involving Dayne, the other 1/2 were buying into the Denver system. So when someone laughs at your first offer, you can use your pool experience and realize that Dayne is a polarizing guy, and not to give up trying to move him. I firmly believe almost all threads here are very useful. :yes: :yes: :yes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I know what you're trying to get at but you may be a bit off target. I haven't read the thread that you referenced but, to me, it's OK to have some personal opinion mixed in. Some threads end up going overboard with it but there's not much that can be done about that.The thing I'm finding more and more frustrating about this board is that too many people think they are comedians and try to be the fastest with the next zinger. Again, some of that is OK (and actually a welcome relief) but when half of the thread is one-liners, it gets pretty old pretty quickly.Unfortunatley, I don't think there's much that can be done about that and I certainly wouldn't want to see everyone turn into the fun police. Hopefully this is just a cycle and people will back off a little.Just my 2 cents...(one-liners certain to follow from budding comedians)
Agreed. It's best to stick to NFL news and thoughts there. The FFA is open mic for the guys that want to try the one liners.J
I'm certainly glad that some of you are chiming in on this...I can be as patient as the next guy, I will usually read all the posts, but it seems to me that its getting to the point where there is more pure speculation and arguing and piss fights about which backup is gonna be the crowned prince than there are even personal comments and opinions or info about the injuries of the main subjects at hand...which is usually the primary reason we examine the thread at all.....

A forum is a forum - it's not a place to find news. If it was, your "ideal" Ahman Green thread would go something like:

Ahman Green

Tweaks Hammy

<article here about Ahman Green tweaking hammy, missing practice on Friday, and being questionable on the injury report>

next post:

Anyone know if he'll definately be out or not?

next post:

Nope. Questionable

<END THREAD>

Speculation, conjecture, discussion, and debate are what this forum is for. I agree to an extent about people posting one liners (guilty as charged on some occassions), but if you're looking for just news, then check the news wire.

I dunno fellas. I'm torn on this subject. I've been around since the old board also and I don't mind the humor. More than once I've gotten a good laugh. The post about punitive team names comes to mind - I still can't get the name "Neverland Ranch Hands" out of my head. :D

The biggest issue I have is with the power posters - guys who make it a habit of hijacking threads by engaging in head-to-head post wars drowning out everyone else in the process and making threads virtually unreadable. I was irked to see some of those guys mentioned in the recent "Shark" thread. Is that what it takes these days to be a valued member of the Shark Pool? Like so many other things in this world, it's now more about quantity over quality. More flash than substance. :kicksrock:

The biggest issue I have is with the power posters - guys who make it a habit of hijacking threads by engaging in head-to-head post wars drowning out everyone else in the process and making threads virtually unreadable. I was irked to see some of those guys mentioned in the recent "Shark" thread. Is that what it takes these days to be a valued member of the Shark Pool? Like so many other things in this world, it's now more about quantity over quality. More flash than substance. :kicksrock:
:goodposting:

What about a "members only forum"? I know that may not solve anything, but I think it would be kinda cool.

I dunno fellas. I'm torn on this subject. I've been around since the old board also and I don't mind the humor. More than once I've gotten a good laugh. The post about punitive team names comes to mind - I still can't get the name "Neverland Ranch Hands" out of my head. :D The biggest issue I have is with the power posters - guys who make it a habit of hijacking threads by engaging in head-to-head post wars drowning out everyone else in the process and making threads virtually unreadable. I was irked to see some of those guys mentioned in the recent "Shark" thread. Is that what it takes these days to be a valued member of the Shark Pool? Like so many other things in this world, it's now more about quantity over quality. More flash than substance. :kicksrock:

It is normal that the site gets watered down a lot from August to January. The best time for quality posting is the other half of the year.

That said, the quality definitely seems lower to me this year. I find myself reading a lower percentage of threads now, and skimming through those that I read more often.

Sigfawn, I really appreciate your comment; it is thorough and enligtening, and it makes all the sense in the world...you are right, there is something to be learned after examining each and every quote; but more often than not threads are being hijacked into wether someones' Morency is better than someone else's Herron; without any substantive reason or logic; while at the same time hijacking the original Poster's intentions which might have been intended to search for info as to wether Green would be playing in Sundays' game...maybe I'm just too tired tonite, and I just lost my cool and became a bit too intolerant about what's going on in the "Pool"...But I know this happens to be the most informative site about Fantasy Football in the world wide web; and I think we all owe it to ourselves to keep it such...

...and I think we all owe it to ourselves to keep it such...
I hear you, and I can't help but throw down a challenge for you. This links to the two threads you started on these boards. This thread being one of them. Within the next week I challenge you to start a killer thread full of insight and substance. No pressure.As an example, I present this thread I started earlier this week. Go get em, tiger.

I know how you feel, I think.Haven't read the Ahman Green thread but....One odd fascination FF people have is to overreact to injuries early in the year. Then by late season they get re-trained to the NFL world and it doesn't happen as much. Alot of players sit on Tuesday from bruises and minor sprains and such. In the beginning of the year it's "Oh my he's sitting!" but come november/december guys here are waiting for the friday injury report patiently, figuring it might be nothing. It just happens every year, nothing you can do about it.Also, there's alot of regulars that don't spend as much time here during the season as they do in July and August. Knowledgable regulars that are intimidating to the newbie casual fan. When they're "gone" some lesser knowns chime in and it gives the board a different flavor. You're sick of the back and forth about nothing substantial. They'll tire from it someday too, then next year they'll be a new set of guys doing it.Take a look here on sunday morning, the ferocity of the news and WDIS thoughts pertaining to the news+gameplan is so impressive. Those regulars are back then, the staffers chime in, and the newbies feel comfy by then and it's a great collage of ideas. For my FF obsessed self, Sunday morning here is one of the greatest things I've ever seen on the web relating to FF.Ryoly you're not the most vocal guy. Respecting the info FBGs puts forth and that you've been a member 5-6 years it's probably realistic to say your's is a well formed opinion. Why not offer it more? The regulars are here, they're just quieter during the week. Take a look at "members online" and in the FFA and AC forums. They're around just not buying into as much sensationalistic news as the newbies.

Here is an idea - another board called "Old School". All long time board members with select invitations to five digiters who don't annoy us. I know ....it's elitist and wrong. But a guy can dream - right? :lmao:

Some good comments throughout this thread most of which I agree with.

I have a suggestion that might be useful. You can use the ignore feature if the comments of specific members here are useless and annoying to you at no loss to anyone. Then when you open threads you will get a filtered version of comments that may be better suited to your sensibilities.

For me chaos rules and I will trudge through the muckiest of muck. Seeing 8 rolly eye posts in a row can amuse me when I am in the right mood. If not then I just hyper scroll. My distaste for censorship is a ethical principle I will not compromise. Even when it results in free speach for the dumb.

Shick and Bri:

Thanks for your replys and concern, and Shick, I will try to live up to the challenge at hand. I thought about PMg you both but since this Post is about my "Open Letter", I'll keep it open to everyone...

I wish I could be more useful and productive on this forum, but the truth is sometimes I wish there were 30 hours in the day to keep up with my own business...I own and operate a Bail Bonds business in South Florida; have about 20 other bondsmen working thru me, been doing so for the last 27 years, I'm sure you could imagine how stressfull and time consuming that could be...Fantasy Football is my escape from what's around me; and I always make time to log into the Shark pool 3-4 times a day...even though I may not contribute much as far as imput is concerned, I do read and enjoy most of the information and exchanges that take place constantly at this forum, and I'm always amazed at the knowledge and wealth of information that a lot of the guys here are able to provide...Shick, that post by me back in 2004 that you brought up above happened during one of the Hurricanes that blew by here back then, and there was a game by the Dolphins to be played here and a lot of the guys in the forum were in need of information about what was going on with that game in order to enter their starting lineups, I provided that info as soon as I saw it on a local TV channel...Pardon me if I've irritated anyone, I just think we as a group could do away with some of what's been going on.....

I just think we as a group could do away with some of what's been going on.....
it's always that way in several facets of life though, know what I mean?Chime in when you can, good luck with your business. Sounds like a large staff, maybe you're doing well and need to add/promote someone to assistant manager to take some of the workload off of you? I don't know but there's a FFA topic for ya. See this board's always here to "talk" about anything so....chime in when ya get a sec

No one knows the extent of Ahman Green's injury. All we have is he tweaked his hammy. So not much to discuss other than the effect on other players.
I have to agree with this assessment. As to the state of our boards, we'll continue to do the best we can with what we have. We see a very small percentage of the posts. It comes down to using the report button if something bothers you. If it's reported, we act on it, or at least send you back a PM letting you know that the post is fine. If you don't report it, well, then you endorse it. The boards remain free and will be what you make of them. Please don't hesitate to start your own threads and contribute whatever you feel is high quality material.
:tinfoilhat:

:tinfoilhat:
Could you link to your newest podcast? TIA

Just a few items:

1. This is a fantasy football website. It's not a NFL team website. Facts rarely have business here, just conjecture that gets founded or does not.

2. Fantasy football is based upon opinions (for many, the opinions of others)

3. The name footballguys is good for advertising, but not the best name to fit the description of the product.

4. Unless it's an interview, everything here is reported by a legit source elsewhere. It's just re-written here, sometimes in different words. One does not have to give full credit to the original author. Thank goodness these aren't term papers.

5. No accountability for non-factual information and no follow-up for their clientelle. Since it's based upon opinion, there is no holding anyone accoutable for any "claims." Doubt anyone would get fired over being wrong more times than being right. Can't be sued for defamation of character based on some knucklehead calling a player out. It may be "in print" but the legal ramifications aren't worth the time and effort for anyone to do anything.

Use this site for what it is, a fantasy football website. It's like those magazines near the checkout stand that claim a celebrity had sex with an alien. Take everything with a grain of salt because last week's information is only as good as the pixels on your screen. If you hit refresh, it may be gone.

For entertainment purposes only.

This might sound weird in this thread, but I think this place (that includes the posters) does a great job of keeping things on topic. Sandbox arguments don't ususally last very long, most of the information is solid...and even most of the opinion is well-reasoned.

Maybe it's deteriorated from normal footballguys standards, but I'm not even sure that's the case. I lurked for a long time and it seems just as strong as ever.

I guess I'm so used to skipping over threads that get bogged down that I don't even notice them. There are so many good ones I rarely have a problem finding something worthwhile.

And, to be honest, the absolute worst threads on this forum would be :goodposting: on certain other un-named forums.

How about sticking to the topic? Just a crazy idea, but if an argument/discussion needs to take place in a side bar fasion, make it a damn side bar/new topic. Let the topic speak for itself and if something spins off of it, spin off in it's own thread so that a topic/thread can stand alone for what it was started for in the first place.

P.S. if a pissing match must ensue, don't spend 2 pages on your own pissing match, let the thread looking for specific information be just that...the pissing match can move on to its own thread please.

On the topic of the current state of the Shark Pool, there's something I've been noticing more and more of late too, but don't really know what there is to be done about it.

When I look at player situations, I guess I tend to consider all the possibilities. Ask me pre-season, "Do you think Rex Grossman could be a top 3 QB this year," and my answer would have been "It's probably really unlikely. But we've seen guys like Brees suddenly have it all click out of the blue, so sure, it's possible. I just wouldn't bank on him as a starter, or even give him a roster spot in a standard league."

I guess I've gotten to the point I shake my head at all the posturing people take on players. Too many people seem to be more about throwing a claim out there to be (hopefully) proven right by how things turn out, than they are about looking at an issue objectively and taking all the possibilities into account -- and not just the one they believe is most likely.

I've been steering away from player evaluation threads more and more because of this. Sometimes I'll throw in my 2 cents and then not go back to the thread because of what it devolves into.

Not that I think there's much FBG's mods can do about it through moderating. The only way that's going to change is if we challenge each other to consider all the possibilities.

Can people stop talking about Ahman Green in this thread. We're supposed to be complaining about missing the "old days" in this thread. :sarcasm:

Anyways, I just want to say to the mods that I think you're doing fine. It is annoying when two simpletons puff up their chests and beat them loudly.... but hey, what are you going to do, its not like all football fans sit around and sip tea and eat scones, you can't expect them all to be mature.

The Shark Pool is what you make it. All FF info is opinion based on fact. Thats all we got. What I gather from your post is you dont like personal attacks. Thats cool, but it happens. It happens because a lot of us spend a decent amount of time reading, gathering, and formulating opinions based off the little facts we find. These arguements are the price you pay for dealing with people who have spent good time trying to figure things out.

You will need to learn to deal with it.

just my :2cents: about the Shark Pool...

I pay FBG's to get me the latest and greatest information out there so I do not have to scour the web for the information. The Shark Pool is a secondary source to backup that information. Years ago, when I did scour the web for all my own info, a place like the Shark Pool would be a great source to get that kind of information (maybe that is what some do here?) The Shark Pool is a place that has some good facts (mainly cut/pasted info/links from other sites) mixed in with a lot of opinions....like the old adage goes, everyone has one.

I do think sometimes threads get off the point of what was originally being addressed (HiJacked?). Sometimes it is good info, sometimes it is just fluff (rolling icons, one-liners, etc). Sometimes though the hijacked part of the thread could of actually been a good thread topic on its own (like a thread on Morency vs. Herron as who will be a better starter?), but lost inside another thread. You just have to weed out what you like and don't like. I don't think I would like having a Moderator do that for me. I do think it would be cool for the Moderators to post and pin a few threads each week that could be up for discussion. Some really good threads tend to fall off the first page due to a lot of average threads bumping them.

I would hate for the Shark Pool become like the NFL (No Fun League). There are all kinds of posters that come to this board...you have to take the good with the bad (unless FBG bans you! lol)

Just a suggestion Joe -- as I know you are always looking for new ideas -- a Subscriber Board.It could be a place to a) discuss the premium content and b) keep the riff-raff out.The Shark Pool and FFA still have a place in this world, but a board for paying customers would be another function of customer service.

Maybe it's deteriorated from normal footballguys standards, but I'm not even sure that's the case. I lurked for a long time and it seems just as strong as ever.
I agree with this analysis. I'm confident the boards remain the same, but because we change over time our view of the boards become different. A wide eyed guppy's needs influences their opinion of the board. When that same guppy becomes an experienced fantasy football addict, their needs change, and their reliance on the board changes.

It is annoying when two simpletons puff up their chests and beat them loudly.... but hey, what are you going to do, its not like all football fans sit around and sip tea and eat scones, you can't expect them all to be mature.
May take on it exactly. However, when one simpleton quotes a simpleton who quoted him earlier who quoted him earlier who quoted him earlier who quoted him earlier...The quote preservation is what makes it laborious for me when trying to weed through the irrelevant. In some threads it gets so bad I just quit and move on to something else - or another URL alltogether.

The irony is that the real "shark pool" in my opinion is the FFA. A thread from last night might be on the second or third page in that forum. You'd never post any NFL banter in there.

The Shark Pool is the only place where those two could have duked it out about Ahman Green. There is no separation of useful fantasy-related information and fantasy-related banter. I'm not sure what the solution is...a pinned injury thread? I don't know what would work.

Just a suggestion Joe -- as I know you are always looking for new ideas -- a Subscriber Board.It could be a place to a) discuss the premium content and b) keep the riff-raff out.The Shark Pool and FFA still have a place in this world, but a board for paying customers would be another function of customer service.
I have always agreed with this. The subscribers have no place to discuss the premium content freely and without tongue in cheek remakrs about where someone is ranked, etc. IMO, the subscribers only board would jump subscriptions to FBGs because the people who don't pay will wonder what they are missing in the subscribers only board. Even though we get all the great content in the subscribers section, I sometimes feel that the hangers on and leeches who don't pay get some of that information as it sometimes finds it's way into the Shark Pool. $25 bucks is not a great amount of money for all that you guys give. People should have to pay to get access to the boards.

The subscribers have no place to discuss the premium content freely and without tongue in cheek remakrs about where someone is ranked, etc.
You can feel free to discuss subscriber content on the boards. However, we draw the line at copying and pasting entire articles or lists.

Users who are viewing this thread