What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mercedes Lewis (1 Viewer)

schlesinj

Footballguy
Is he starting? Future stud TE?

First round pick on a decent offense that bodes well for a solid contributor, correct.

I have him stashed on my bench in a dynasty league. Future stud? Possibly. When does he start getting involved in the passing game is the better question. I think he doesn't start for awhile but will come in on some passing downs. Basically, start him off slowly until he learns the ropes. There is no question that he will be starting but since he missed so much time he is at the beginning of the learning curve. It's pretty much wait and see from here on in.

Fantasy wise his value is pretty much unknown right now. He will almost definitely be taking away George Wrighters role as pass catching tightend, and will certainly get his looks in the offense (granted he is fully healthy). There are some issues, though, that can keep him from having any immediate impact. Byron Leftwich loves to spread the ball around, and very rarely locks onto one person for an extended amount of time. While he will surely be a integral cog in the Jacksonville offense his fantasy value is a bit skewed because of that. He’ll see the field, but with the variety of receivers Byron has to choose from the number of targets he’ll get is questionable. There are four legitimate threats on this team to lead in receptions and to be honest, right now Marcedes is the last guy in that group.

The Jaguars did make a concerted effort to get him involved during training camp and the practices he could participate in before the ankle sprain, but another issue he could have is simply time. I have no doubt he’s been hitting the playbook pretty hard but he just hasn’t had a lot of time to build a rapport with Leftwich and work his way into a ‘groove’ in the offense. Now, I could easily be wrong and he could have a very intuitive transition into the offense and start out as an instant safety blanket type guy, but that’s being terribly optimistic. It should take him a while to adjust and that’s another thing to consider.

That said, after those initial bumps coming off the injury (and lack of practice) I think he’ll be a very stable option in the offense. I don’t think he’ll ever be a ‘stud’ in any sense of the term but I do feel like he can be one of the more consistent and contributive tightends in the league, fantasy wise and on the field, while grabbing three – five passes a game. Right now he’s a great guy to pick up if you have room to hold him and wait until he’s fully imbedded in the offense.

I’ll mention one more thing, and that’s redzone potential: it’s a complete tossup. Between Jones, Wilford, Williams, and Lewis…well there just isn’t a clear cut number one option in the redzone – hell there isn’t even a clear cut top three. It’s a tossup at best but one thing you can say is that it’s going to be a living nightmare for any defense that has to deal with it.

Users who are viewing this thread