What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pedro Martinez (1 Viewer)

Just heard that. Really disappointing, but just knew he was nowhere near close to healthy after watching his last 3 starts.

Only bright side to this is the Mets pretty much went without him all year.

After his last few starts, this is actually GOOD news. Now if they'll just be smart and give Maine the 3rd spot over Trachsel, they might be alright.

Not at all surprising. He looked horrible last night - best thing for the short and long term for Pedro.

And that's why I'm glad the Sox didn't resign him.

To be honest, I would have put good money on his arm falling off, but his durability has been a concern for years now

yea, you guys have been much better off without him.
Could have put :moneybag: on this post coming from you. However, it is :goodposting: anyway.
I just don't get why Sox fans are happy with him not being there. Not like there is a salary cap. Makes no sense, the money isn't coming out of any fan's pocket. Sox fans don't have to justify the two terrible offseasons since the Series win, we all know how bad it's been. Theo basically dismantled a WS winner. People need to stop acting like they're glad John Henry saved a few million in exchange for a worse team. :shrug:

Capella said:
Pat Patriot said:
Capella said:
Big Papi said:
Could have put :moneybag: on this post coming from you. However, it is :goodposting: anyway.
I just don't get why Sox fans are happy with him not being there. Not like there is a salary cap. Makes no sense, the money isn't coming out of any fan's pocket. Sox fans don't have to justify the two terrible offseasons since the Series win, we all know how bad it's been. Theo basically dismantled a WS winner. People need to stop acting like they're glad John Henry saved a few million in exchange for a worse team. :shrug:
I can't wait for the "We didn't need Manny" rationale in 2007. :rolleyes:

Capella said:
Pat Patriot said:
Capella said:
Big Papi said:
Manny is my favorite non-Yankee is baseball. Always loved the guy. Would love to have him on the Yankees. Problem is that these days there isn't a room for him on the roster.Any chance MLB goes to beer league rules and instituted the 4th outfielder? That would be cool.

Capella said:
Pat Patriot said:
Capella said:
Big Papi said:
Manny is my favorite non-Yankee is baseball. Always loved the guy. Would love to have him on the Yankees. Problem is that these days there isn't a room for him on the roster.Any chance MLB goes to beer league rules and instituted the 4th outfielder? That would be cool.
:lmao: :lmao: 4th outfielder?Matsui ==== $12 millionDamon ===== $13 millionSheffield ==== $14 millionAbreu ===== $16 million5th outfielderManny ===== $20 millionHe'd fit in perfectly. Tell George to do it.

Capella said:
Pat Patriot said:
Capella said:
Big Papi said:
:lmao: :lmao: 4th outfielder?Matsui ==== $12 millionDamon ===== $13 millionSheffield ==== $14 millionAbreu ===== $16 million5th outfielderManny ===== $20 millionHe'd fit in perfectly. Tell George to do it.
DH, man, DH. It makes sense. Giambi looks like that big guy who can't do anything but hit who plays first in the local softball league who treats each 4 hour beer drinking contest in the middle of a game into his own personal world series. I'm just saying...

Capella said:
Pat Patriot said:
Capella said:
Big Papi said:
I could not have cared less about the money. I appreciate the greatness that was Pedro and all of the unbelievable years he gave us but for what they were getting out of him on the field, I couldnt take his Prima Donna status year after year.It bugs me when a guy doesnt finish the season because the team has been eliminated from contention. Pedro did this time after time.

Capella said:
Pat Patriot said:
Capella said:
Big Papi said:
DH, man, DH. It makes sense. Giambi looks like that big guy who can't do anything but hit who plays first in the local softball league who treats each 4 hour beer drinking contest in the middle of a game into his own personal world series. I'm just saying...
See, Giambi is the DH. I guess if you move Sheffield to first and can Manny catch? It might work. If some of the older guys can hang on until Cano becomes a free agent, the Yankees will have an all +$10 million lineup.

Should be an interesting post-season. Who would have predicted El Duque as the Mets top dog?

They don't have great pitchers, but I think all of them can keep the team in games. With the offense they have, that should be good enough.

I'll admit I'm not as stoked at the prospects of another Subway Series though.

Go Twins!

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be an interesting post-season. Who would have predicted El Duque as the Mets top dog?They don't have great pitchers, but I think all of them can team the team in games. With the offense they have, that should be good enough. I'll admit I'm not as stoked at the prospects of another Subway Series though. Go Twins!
I'm on the Twins. $50 worth at +350

Capella said:
Pat Patriot said:
Capella said:
Big Papi said:
See, Giambi is the DH. I guess if you move Sheffield to first and can Manny catch? It might work. If some of the older guys can hang on until Cano becomes a free agent, the Yankees will have an all +$10 million lineup.
Sorry, not DH. AH. Alternate hitter. We had them in the leagues I played. 4 outfielders, DH and AH just to let one more person play - usually the guy who could run or field anymore but bought the most beer.I'm telling you, this is gold.And don't go near Cano. That guy is gold.

:lmao: :lmao: 4th outfielder?Matsui ==== $12 millionDamon ===== $13 millionSheffield ==== $14 millionFlorida Marlins ==$14.3 millionAbreu ===== $16 million5th outfielderManny ===== $20 millionHe'd fit in perfectly. Tell George to do it.
Or just sign the ####### Kansas City Royals.

The fact is Pedro is the Mets MVP this year.

The signing of Pedro turned this franchise around. Beltran followed, the young guys matured a bit, then Delgado came over - the whole swagger of the team began.

Without Pedro who knows, Mets might still be those ol' Mets. I am certainly bummed that he is not a go, but am thankful for Pedro changing the face of this franchise none the less.

FYI, Houston is the favorite in the NL as of right now, IMO.
The NL playoff teams are a bunch of flawed mediocre teams. Any one of them could win it if they got hot enough, except for maybe the Cards who pretty much suck.I don't think any of the NL teams has a snowball's chance in hell of winning the Series.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truckasaurus said:
tommyGunZ said:
Mets no longer the team to beat in the NL w/o Pedro.
Mets = Reyes, Wright, Delgado, Beltran.San Diego = :shrug:
Padres = Peavy, Young, Meridith, Hoffman
SD isn't making the playoffs.
Care for a friendly wager? $20?
I'll take $20 that they don't win the NL.
I'll take $20 that the Devil Rays don't win the AL.

Truckasaurus said:
tommyGunZ said:
I'll take $20 that San Diego has never won a championship of any kind. :own3d:

Truckasaurus said:
tommyGunZ said:
I'll take $20 that San Diego has never won a championship of any kind. :own3d:
San Diego Shockers - 10 championships I accept PayPal - TIA :own3d:

Capella said:
Pat Patriot said:
Capella said:
Big Papi said:
I heard a rumor that Manny's agent has already asked the Sox to trade him (again) this offseason (again). Manny is starting to crack me up, as he keeps asking to be traded and that he so wants out of town, yet when he hears the teams that get involved he gets picky about his destination. Boston also cracks me up because they seem to think that they can find another guy off hte street to hit .300/40/120.Things didn't work out as planned this year, as all the young prospects the Sox traded did better than the guys they brought in (and for a lot less money). Except for Marte, the other guys did really well.

Capella said:
Pat Patriot said:
Capella said:
Big Papi said:
I heard a rumor that Manny's agent has already asked the Sox to trade him (again) this offseason (again). Manny is starting to crack me up, as he keeps asking to be traded and that he so wants out of town, yet when he hears the teams that get involved he gets picky about his destination. Boston also cracks me up because they seem to think that they can find another guy off hte street to hit .300/40/120.Things didn't work out as planned this year, as all the young prospects the Sox traded did better than the guys they brought in (and for a lot less money). Except for Marte, the other guys did really well.
Didn't know you were a Saux fan Yudkin. Thanks for Josh Bard and Cla Meridith, and for taking that waste of human flesh Doug Mirabelli off our hands.

Capella said:
Pat Patriot said:
Capella said:
Big Papi said:
Didn't know you were a Saux fan Yudkin. Thanks for Josh Bard and Cla Meridith, and for taking that waste of human flesh Doug Mirabelli off our hands.
Sad but true. I suffered for years. But we won, so I don't need to watch anymore. (They didn't win in my dad's entire LIFETIME.) Liked the Padres when I lived in CA, but that was the mid-80's team with the likes of Gwynn, Garvey, Wiggins, McReynolds, Nettles, Templeton, Show, Hawkins, Gossage, etc.

Truckasaurus said:
tommyGunZ said:
El Duque has a very nice record against the Padres, and Wagner is as good as Hoffman.That said, I wouldn't bet the farm on the Mets in a 7 game series. Both play in pitcher's parks, their 6 games have all been pretty close this year (Mets have won 4 of 6, but Pedro had two of those wins. However, the only guy the Padres really touched up was the dear departed Zambrano). Losing Pedro hurts, as it means they have to rely on Trachsel, but I would side with the Padres not having enough firepower to take advantage of Pedro's absence. But it's no lock, the Mets run differential suggests that they aren't as good as their record.

FYI, Houston is the favorite in the NL as of right now, IMO.
The NL playoff teams are a bunch of flawed mediocre teams. Any one of them could win it if they got hot enough, except for maybe the Cards who pretty much suck.I don't think any of the NL teams has a snowball's chance in hell of winning the Series.
You don't think Oswalt and Clemens have a shot in a 7 game series?
Nope. They'll look great losing close games or having their bullpen blow it for them though.

Users who are viewing this thread