What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Torre to be fired -- Source: N.Y. Daily News (1 Viewer)

Knee-jerk mistake.

When they underperform with Piniella, Steinbrenner will re-hire Torre and it will be the 1980s all over again. Good times.

' date='Oct 8 2006, 01:44 AM' post='5678769']Knee-jerk mistake.When they underperform with Piniella, Steinbrenner will re-hire Torre and it will be the 1980s all over again. Good times.
Negative.The players have been coddled too much by Mr. Nice Guy. Sweet Lou won't hear of that garbage. And maybe he's just the guy to get A-Rod going, just like when they paired up in Seattle.

its not joes fault. Its impossible to manage if your all star lineup doesnt get anyone on base.

The yanks put a 200 million dollar team on the field and had 3 bad days. Nothing torre could do about it. Just played the tigers at the wrong time and got bum-rushed by 2 out of this world pitching performances.

its not joes fault. Its impossible to manage if your all star lineup doesnt get anyone on base. The yanks put a 200 million dollar team on the field and had 3 bad days. Nothing torre could do about it. Just played the tigers at the wrong time and got bum-rushed by 2 out of this world pitching performances.
This had very little to do with this series, IMO. It was simply the final straw.

its not joes fault. Its impossible to manage if your all star lineup doesnt get anyone on base. The yanks put a 200 million dollar team on the field and had 3 bad days. Nothing torre could do about it. Just played the tigers at the wrong time and got bum-rushed by 2 out of this world pitching performances.
If it's not Joe's fault, then why even have a coach of an all star team?

at this point how the heck do they fix this team? Something has to change, but what? They have an all star at every position. Other than A-rod's softness, what is the problem? The only thing i can see happening is letting shef walk and giving melky left field full time (matsui DH)

They obviously need a young power arm at the top of the rotation. At this point, i dont see any way they dont make a massive offer to the Seibu lions for Daisuke Matsuzaka. They arent gonna find a big power arm anywhere else unless they want to dangle cano out there in a trade (not gonna happen)

The bullpen has some nice pieces, but it isnt dominant. They dont have a huge power arm like the tigers do, but again, the pen wasnt the problem.

At this point, they just need to go all out to find some young horses for the rotation and pray that the big guns (A-rod) hit one of these octobers.

If it's not Joe's fault, then why even have a coach of an all star team?
everyone knows that joe's main value is his ability to manage all the egos. He's never been known as a big time in-game guy. However, no manager could have won with the way the yanks played this weekend. You cant make managerial calls (good or bad) if your team is getting blown out of the batters box by kenny freaking rogers.

at this point how the heck do they fix this team? Something has to change, but what? They have an all star at every position. Other than A-rod's softness, what is the problem?
It seems that George hasn't noticed that pitching wins titles. His two big acquisitions were 97 year-old Randy Johnson, and a guy who hadn't proven a damn thing long-term in Pavano. If he wants to throw money at players, it has to be fairly YOUNG, proven pitchers. Look for Barry Zito to be fitted for pinstripes about twelve seconds after the A's are eliminated.

Good pitching beats good hitting. It's just that simple.
That's about the size of it.
Yankees under Torre
Code:
Year  Hitting Rank   Pitching Rank	   Result1996	  9th			5th			 Won World Series1997	  2nd			1st			 Lost ALDS to Cleveland (3rd hitting, 9th pitching)1998	  1st			1st			 Won World Series1999	  3rd			2nd			 Won World Series2000	  6th			6th			 Won World Series2001	  5th			3rd			 Lost World Series to Arizona (3rd hitting, 2nd pitching)2002	  1st			4th			 Lost ALDS To Anaheim (4th hitting, 2nd pitching)2003	  3rd			3rd			 Lost World Series to Florida (8th hitting, 7th pitching)2004	  2nd			6th			 Lost ALCS to Boston (1st hitting, 3rd pitching)2005	  2nd			9th			 Lost ALCS to Los Angeles (7th hitting, 3rd pitching)2006	  1st			7th			 Lost ALDS to Detroit (5th hitting, 1st pitching)

Love to see the Padres send Scott Linebrink and Ceasar Carrillo to the Yanks if they'll pick up $24M of the $67M Alex is owed over the next 4.

3B is the biggest hole in SD, and ARod will be pushing 600 HRs at the end of his deal. As much as I enjoy watching my boys, they're in dire need of a mega-star to draw crowds on Tuesdays in July. Right now, they don't have anyone that you absolutely positively have to watch every at bat.

Bring ARod west Kevin Towers.

Yankees under Torre
Code:
Year  Hitting Rank   Pitching Rank	   Result1996	  9th			5th			 Won World Series1997	  2nd			1st			 Lost ALDS to Cleveland (3rd hitting, 9th pitching)1998	  1st			1st			 Won World Series1999	  3rd			2nd			 Won World Series2000	  6th			6th			 Won World Series2001	  5th			3rd			 Lost World Series to Arizona (3rd hitting, 2nd pitching)2002	  1st			4th			 Lost ALDS To Anaheim (4th hitting, 2nd pitching)2003	  3rd			3rd			 Lost World Series to Florida (8th hitting, 7th pitching)2004	  2nd			6th			 Lost ALCS to Boston (1st hitting, 3rd pitching)2005	  2nd			9th			 Lost ALCS to Los Angeles (7th hitting, 3rd pitching)2006	  1st			7th			 Lost ALDS to Detroit (5th hitting, 1st pitching)
What is the relevance of this information you've posted?

I'm probably in the minority among Yankees fans, but I hope they don't blow the team up. It's a very good team, and in general good teams don't need many changes. I'd be excited to go after Zito, and wouldn't be against trading Cano for a SP (although I don't think we could get a stud for him), but I wouldn't touch the offense much. Sheffield will probably be gone, but Cabrera can slide in there pretty nicely. Posada, Giambi, Jeter, Cano, Rodriguez, Matsui, Damon and Cabrera should be the starting 8, although I wouldn't mind a different 1B and batting Giambi at DH.

Yankees could really use another bullpen arm -- preferably a good one this time. And someone to groom for when Rivera's gone.

Yankees could really use another bullpen arm -- preferably a good one this time. And someone to groom for when Rivera's gone.
That's why I suggested Linebrink and the Pads best minor league arm. If ARod's available (and I think he will be), the Padres have $25M to spend and a glaring hole at 3B and in the superstar department. Match made in heaven.Please don't reply to this post - let me dream about this scenerio for a few hours.

Love to see the Padres send Scott Linebrink and Ceasar Carrillo to the Yanks if they'll pick up $24M of the $67M Alex is owed over the next 4. 3B is the biggest hole in SD, and ARod will be pushing 600 HRs at the end of his deal. As much as I enjoy watching my boys, they're in dire need of a mega-star to draw crowds on Tuesdays in July. Right now, they don't have anyone that you absolutely positively have to watch every at bat.Bring ARod west Kevin Towers.
So you want the Yanks to send one of the best players in the game to the Pads for a 30-year-old MR, an average prospect with elbow and forearm problems who has never pitched above AA, and also pick up a third of the salary?Get real dude. ARod would cost you guys a hellllll of a lot more than that.

Yankees under Torre
Year Hitting Rank Pitching Rank Result1996 9th 5th Won World Series1997 2nd 1st Lost ALDS to Cleveland (3rd hitting, 9th pitching)1998 1st 1st Won World Series1999 3rd 2nd Won World Series2000 6th 6th Won World Series2001 5th 3rd Lost World Series to Arizona (3rd hitting, 2nd pitching)2002 1st 4th Lost ALDS To Anaheim (4th hitting, 2nd pitching)2003 3rd 3rd Lost World Series to Florida (8th hitting, 7th pitching)2004 2nd 6th Lost ALCS to Boston (1st hitting, 3rd pitching)2005 2nd 9th Lost ALCS to Los Angeles (7th hitting, 3rd pitching)2006 1st 7th Lost ALDS to Detroit (5th hitting, 1st pitching)
What is the relevance of this information you've posted?
A look at the Yankees offense and pitching in the Torre era. I was curious, so I looked up the numbers, and posted them.Of the seven non-WS teams, the Yankees twice lost to a bad pitching team (Marlins, Indians), once lost to a monster hitting team (Red Sox), twice lost to a very good hitting/pitching team (Angels, DBacks), and twice lost to a pitching heavy team (Angels, Tigers).

Three times the Yankees had mediocre pitching (2004-2006), once they had excellent pitching (1997), and three times they had very good pitching (2001-2003).

Did I see this right tonight?

Since 2000 the Yankmees payroll has totaled 980 million?

I thought that I saw on ESPN that their new stadium is 1 billion and that the payroll since 2000 is 98% of the total of the new stadium

I really don't care if this team ever wins a World Series again. That is just sick $$$ on a payroll and nothing to show for it

Love to see the Padres send Scott Linebrink and Ceasar Carrillo to the Yanks if they'll pick up $24M of the $67M Alex is owed over the next 4. 3B is the biggest hole in SD, and ARod will be pushing 600 HRs at the end of his deal. As much as I enjoy watching my boys, they're in dire need of a mega-star to draw crowds on Tuesdays in July. Right now, they don't have anyone that you absolutely positively have to watch every at bat.Bring ARod west Kevin Towers.
So you want the Yanks to send one of the best players in the game to the Pads for a 30-year-old MR, an average prospect with elbow and forearm problems who has never pitched above AA, and also pick up a third of the salary?Get real dude. ARod would cost you guys a hellllll of a lot more than that.
Haven't you been saying how terrible A-Rod is lately? I'm surprised you feel he's worth much.

That's why I suggested Linebrink and the Pads best minor league arm. If ARod's available (and I think he will be), the Padres have $25M to spend and a glaring hole at 3B and in the superstar department. Match made in heaven.Please don't reply to this post - let me dream about this scenerio for a few hours.
If it makes you feel better I am dreaming of a way to get Arod to the Crew.All it takes is half the salary paid for, a waive of the no trade claus, and one Bill Hall to make it done.

Did I see this right tonight?Since 2000 the Yankmees payroll has totaled 980 million?I thought that I saw on ESPN that their new stadium is 1 billion and that the payroll since 2000 is 98% of the total of the new stadiumI really don't care if this team ever wins a World Series again. That is just sick $$$ on a payroll and nothing to show for it
Don't listen to Bud Selig. Money doesn't buy you a championship in baseball. The competitive imbalance talk is total is BS.

To the AngelsFiggins, Shields, and 2 top prospects

If it makes you feel better I am dreaming of a way to get Arod to the Crew.All it takes is half the salary paid for, a waive of the no trade clause, and one Bill Hall to make it done.
Bingo.I don't think A-Rod goes anywhere, for precisely that reason.

Haven't you been saying how terrible A-Rod is lately? I'm surprised you feel he's worth much.
God I'd hate to have to explain this to you once again.

To the AngelsFiggins, Shields, and 2 top prospects
Angels would make a lot more sense, but I'm pretty sure Ervin Santana would have to be prominently involved.glllll

God I'd hate to have to explain this to you once again.
IF the Padres want A-Rod, it's going to cost them Young, Peavy and or a stud prospect. He is still an uber-stud, regardless of what the media would lead you to believe. Bottom line, the Padres don't have the talent to get A-Rod. The White Sox,however, may have the goods to get a deal done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I see this right tonight?Since 2000 the Yankmees payroll has totaled 980 million?I thought that I saw on ESPN that their new stadium is 1 billion and that the payroll since 2000 is 98% of the total of the new stadiumI really don't care if this team ever wins a World Series again. That is just sick $$$ on a payroll and nothing to show for it
Don't listen to Bud Selig. Money doesn't buy you a championship in baseball. The competitive imbalance talk is total is BS.
Really? Money sure makes it a lot easier. Seeing as how 3 of the top 6 teams in terms of payroll made the postseason, yet none of the bottom 6 did. I always thought it was easier to get a championship if you made the playoffs. But then again, what do I know? :confused:

Really? Money sure makes it a lot easier. Seeing as how 3 of the top 6 teams in terms of payroll made the postseason, yet none of the bottom 6 did. I always thought it was easier to get a championship if you made the playoffs. But then again, what do I know? :confused:
:goodposting:

Actually, I don't think its the worst thing in the world if Joe goes. The thing is missing and I don't know if sweet Lou is the answer, but in 1995 the Yanks had a great team and a great manager and rolled the dice trying to get better and Torre turned out alright for a long time. Might be time to roll again...

Quick question- Torre gets the axe immediately, yet Cashman goes unscathed in all of this?
That's also got me :confused: Torre has had a great run in NY, but George will see to it that something is changed and manager is a position he can control immediately.I wonder if Phil Hughes and Tyler Clippard get rushed now that it's apparent what this team lacks. Johnson and Mussina are signed through next season, leaving Wang as the only constant in the rotation.It's going to be one hell of an interesting off-season in the Bronx.

Chase Stuart said:
Eviloutsider said:
tommyGunZ said:
Chase Stuart said:
If it makes you feel better I am dreaming of a way to get Arod to the Crew.All it takes is half the salary paid for, a waive of the no trade clause, and one Bill Hall to make it done.
Bingo.I don't think A-Rod goes anywhere, for precisely that reason.
A-Rod will waive his no trade clause in a second for the right situation. You think he wants to go through this again? No way in hell. I know he's not coming out and saying that because he is trying to protect his image but when it comes down to it, the Yanks and Boras will find a way to make him look good and then he waives his no trade clause. Very simple.

Last edited by a moderator:
tommyGunZ said:
LOFL. The Yanks MIGHT be willing to pick up part of A-Rod's salary for the right trade but it sure as hell isn't going to be for Scott Linebrink and Caesar Carillo. My god you are delusional.

Quick question- Torre gets the axe immediately, yet Cashman goes unscathed in all of this?
Excellent point. Torre is one of the only people in the Yankees organization that I admire. Okay, he's the only one. You give me a 500/million budget to play with and I would've put a better team out there than Cashman.

Users who are viewing this thread