What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 7 Coaches Corner (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
In response to the ever-growing number of folks playing in IDP leagues and the lack of response advice requests get in the Assistant Coach Forum, we're opening a separate IDP advice thread here.

Questions seeking advice about starting lineup decisions, waiver pickups, and trades should go in this thread.

You'll get better responses if you include your league's scoring system and other pertinent information -- roster size, starter requirements, redraft/dynasty/keeper league, etc. You'll get more responses and we'll have better discussion if you "show your work" -- who you think you should start or pickup and why. Word of caution: IDP vets like to see that the newbies are willing to do their homework and apply what they've learned. You'll get more detailed responses from multiple sources if you aren't looking to be "spoon-fed" a decision. Many of those kinds of questions can be answered by Norton's weekly cheatsheets and rankings. This thread should be more give and take.

We'll turn this thread over every week to keep it from getting too difficult to use. Please search the thread briefly before posting a new question -- you may find that we've already discussed a situation similar to yours.

Finally, advice about many general IDP topics can be found in the pinned FAQ thread. If you don't find what you need there, post a new topic in the Forum.

I have to start 2 of 3:

Tatupu vs Vikings

Pierce at Dallas

Morrison vs Cards.

I think I am going with Pierce and Morrison.

I hate to bench my best LB Tatupu, but I don't think it's a very good matchup. The Seahawks a relatively big favorites (-7) and will normally have the ball more than the Vikings, reducing playing time for Tatupu. Brad Johnson is not easily sacked due to his O-Line and he does not throw many picks, so the big play potential is reduced.

I am worried by Pierce's hand injury. It's not supposed to affect him tackle-wise, but he has had two sub-par games in a row. However Dallas runs quite a bit up the middle, they will be favorites so Pierce should have tackle opportunities. But most of all, Bledsoe is a guy who want to play against for sacks, FFs, and INTs. Playing Dallas is one of my favorite matchups for a LB due to the Cowboys offense being good enough to control the ball and give many tackles to your LB, in addition to the QB being mistake-prone enough to give you big plays.

The Raiders will be underdogs vs the Cards. The Cards usually throw a lot, but with Fitz out and the Cards being favorites in a game (which is rare for them), they will use E James more than normal. D Green has shown he wants to ride E James even when the run does not work well. In this game, the run should have more room so I think the Cards will run more than usual. Add a rookie QB in the mix = better big play potential.

I guess I have already done my analysis so I am not necessarily asking anybody "Who should I start?", and I don't know if someone can convince me to change my stance, but I would appreciate feedback on my points above! :D

Those of you who own any of these three guys might find my thoughts useful as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Play Tatu. i have been working on my voo doo for him in my league and it seemed to work this week. :thumbup:
What he said. If anything happens to Gator this week go ahead and start Morrison. Otherwise, stick with your stud. Seriously, A big dose of Chester coming at Lofa sounds juicy to me.

Is Jonathan Vilma done as a top IDP player? I have him and am really thinking of trading him at this point. I think I would be happy to get an order of day old unsalted fries from McDonalds for him and his bloated contract that are currently taking up room on my dynasty roster.

Is Jonathan Vilma done as a top IDP player? I have him and am really thinking of trading him at this point. I think I would be happy to get an order of day old unsalted fries from McDonalds for him and his bloated contract that are currently taking up room on my dynasty roster.
Yes and no.I harp on basic defensive concepts a lot, but it's really a situation where scheme is critical. Vilma is the same talent he was last year -- there's no injury or major attitude issue involved in his decline. I'll be the first to admit, while I thought there'd be some decline in Vilma's stats, I didn't think there'd be this much. There are three scheme-related issues here (two of which weren't evident to me until after the Patriot game in Week 2).First, the Jets NTs don't draw double teams and allow an interior OL a running start at Vilma. Many of us have been harping on that since Mangini was hired. But, while that's an issue, it's really not enough to seriously hinder Vilma's production. Every ILB (4-3 and 3-4) has to fend off blocks from interior lineman at times. Some do it better than others, Vilma did it last year well enough.Second, Vilma isn't comfortable in the defensive scheme. This also wouldn't be too big a deal in isolation. But, coupled with the more frequent blocks he faces, shooting the wrong gap or making incorrect reads on run fits adds up quickly. This one will get better.Thirdly, and probably most importantly, Vilma is not aligned in the best tackling position in this defense right now. It's Eric Barton who's lining up at LILB the great majority of the time, while Vilma is aligned to the right side of the defense and, more or less, the weak side linebacker. The first two issues are important, but I think the alignment is killing Vilma's value more than anything else.What's Vilma's future?Hard to say. Barton's under contract through 2008 but his salary triples (1M to 3M) next year. Barton has been the best run defender the Jets have this season, though, and that salary isn't completely nutty so he probably sticks around. The scheme certainly isn't changing, so, as long as Barton is around, it looks unlikely that Vilma's role in the defense changes. Despite some suggestion that he could do well as an OLB in a 3-4 defense, there's really no way he can succeed in that role. By scheme, on the weak side of this hybrid front defense, he's essentially an OLB already, especially when the same side end (Thomas or Hobson) aligns on the line of scrimmage. I haven't seen the Jets play the past two weeks to see where Vilma aligns in the 4-3 look, but it wouldn't shock me to learn he sets up as a Will backer.The upside is that Vilma is a very, very good LB. He, like DQJax in Cleveland, has the raw ability to make the scheme limitation work and have LB2 upside if issues one and two are rectified. He's already on pace for close to 85 solo tackles -- that's territory guys like Larry Foote, Randall Godfrey, and other RILBs don't touch. Give him some freedom to roam and a better understanding of the defense and those numbers are sustainable even when the Jets defense gets better and provides fewer opportunities. I wouldn't write him off completely and I wouldn't move him in dynasty leagues. Those fries sound good, though.

Takeo Spikes returned this week and A Crowell had his worst statistical performance of the season...any ideas on why? Was Crowell the WLB or SLB (as he was during Spikes absence)? What does Hargrove coming onto the do to things in Buff? TIA

Takeo Spikes returned this week and A Crowell had his worst statistical performance of the season...any ideas on why? Was Crowell the WLB or SLB (as he was during Spikes absence)? What does Hargrove coming onto the do to things in Buff? TIA
Didn't see the game. Gamebook suggests that Crowell started at WLB -- but we've been burned too many times to trust that explicitly. It probably was a ROLB/LOLB alignment as planned in the pre-season, with Crowell shifting back to ROLB. Still sifting through the post-mortems on the game, but the general consensus seems to be that the Bills missed a bunch of tackles and were out-of-position on many of the cutback runs Kevin Jones made. Rudnicki was at the game -- he'll probably have a better idea.

With regard to Hargrove, the Bills gave up a fairly valuable pick in NFL trade terms so they must have plans for him. The coaching staff is on record as saying they want to rotate their ends to keep them fresh. End doesn't appear to be a huge need, but the Bills have struggled a bit to pressure the quarterback over the past couple of games and a potential speed rushing talent like Hargrove is always welcome. I don't think it changes anyone's value much at this point, including Hargrove.

BTW, it's absolutely fine to post questions like the last two in this thread but general questions about player performance or future prospects are appropriate for the main forum as long as they aren't specific to team management. There are some vets that don't have the time or interest to sift through the advice posts and may miss the past two questions who can help with these issues so you may get more opinions in the main circulation.

Rank these LB

1.5tack, .75assist, 5int, 4sack, 3ff, 2fr, 1 passdefend

LB's I currently have

E. Sims

G. Hayes,

A. Pierce

E. Barton

D. Ryans

LB's on the waiver

S. Fujita

S. Phillips

C. Draft

I will need to drop 1 of my LB's and A. Pierce has been the weak link, but do I drop someone that is usually such a stud? His hand must be hurting him though and not sure if he we will ever be the same this year.

Rank these LB1.5tack, .75assist, 5int, 4sack, 3ff, 2fr, 1 passdefendLB's I currently haveE. SimsG. Hayes,A. PierceE. BartonD. RyansLB's on the waiverS. FujitaS. PhillipsC. DraftI will need to drop 1 of my LB's and A. Pierce has been the weak link, but do I drop someone that is usually such a stud? His hand must be hurting him though and not sure if he we will ever be the same this year.
Do you have to drop one of your LBs? I'm not too worried about Pierce. The Giants defense has been much improved coming out of the bye week and Pierce's stats have mirrored that.Week 1-3 Giant defense had tackling opportunities on 48, 57, and 65 completed passes/rushes Week 4-5 Giant defense had tackling opportunities on 32 and 40 completed passes/rushesI haven't seen Pierce's last couple of games; his hand may be an issue. But I think the relative lack of opportunity could be the more important issue. Both are hard to project going forward.You may get an out if Ernie Sims can't play this week with that elbow problem. Even though you've got five backers rostered, that's a pretty good list of waiver options. Any chance you get away with dumping Sims (minor injury then bye Week 8) or Barton (not much name value) and getting them back the following week?

Rank these LB1.5tack, .75assist, 5int, 4sack, 3ff, 2fr, 1 passdefendLB's I currently haveE. SimsG. Hayes,A. PierceE. BartonD. RyansLB's on the waiverS. FujitaS. PhillipsC. DraftI will need to drop 1 of my LB's and A. Pierce has been the weak link, but do I drop someone that is usually such a stud? His hand must be hurting him though and not sure if he we will ever be the same this year.
Do you have to drop one of your LBs? I'm not too worried about Pierce. The Giants defense has been much improved coming out of the bye week and Pierce's stats have mirrored that.Week 1-3 Giant defense had tackling opportunities on 48, 57, and 65 completed passes/rushes Week 4-5 Giant defense had tackling opportunities on 32 and 40 completed passes/rushesI haven't seen Pierce's last couple of games; his hand may be an issue. But I think the relative lack of opportunity could be the more important issue. Both are hard to project going forward.You may get an out if Ernie Sims can't play this week with that elbow problem. Even though you've got five backers rostered, that's a pretty good list of waiver options. Any chance you get away with dumping Sims (minor injury then bye Week 8) or Barton (not much name value) and getting them back the following week?
My guess is he doesn't have to drop any of the LBs but he would need to in order to add one from the FA list. Certainly wouldn't consider dropping Antonio Pierce. Ryans should be held tightly by all owners also. If he had to drop one it would be between Hayes, Barton and Sims.

I need to cut my list down to 4 LB held as I need to pick up a TE as I have Heap on bye.

so basically give me the top 4 out of the group.

I loose Urlacher & A. Thomas to byes this week and I need some help. You all have provided some good in depth insight on this board and I aprreciate it. I picked up S. Phillips last week and it paid off. I'm starting him and I need to fill up two more spots. 1 pt per T, .5 pt per AT, 4 pt Sack, 4 pt FR, 4 pt INT, 3 pt FF, 1 pt PaDef.

I just picked up K. Dansby and thinking he might be a good play vs OAK. I also have G. Brackett for IND going against WAS, so hopefully he'll be tackling Portis all day. However, are these two good starts? I could also snag C. June or G. Hayes is available too. Are they're any sleepers that have good match ups this week? Thanks.

Mark

I loose Urlacher & A. Thomas to byes this week and I need some help. You all have provided some good in depth insight on this board and I aprreciate it. I picked up S. Phillips last week and it paid off. I'm starting him and I need to fill up two more spots. 1 pt per T, .5 pt per AT, 4 pt Sack, 4 pt FR, 4 pt INT, 3 pt FF, 1 pt PaDef.I just picked up K. Dansby and thinking he might be a good play vs OAK. I also have G. Brackett for IND going against WAS, so hopefully he'll be tackling Portis all day. However, are these two good starts? I could also snag C. June or G. Hayes is available too. Are they're any sleepers that have good match ups this week? Thanks.Mark
It's hard to comment on sleepers without a list of availables. With June and Hayes available in your league it sounds like there may be more. Hayes before Dansby, imo. And while it's hard to separate Brackett from June, I prefer June also.

Hopefully you guys don't mind a Team D question.

For the rest of the season:

Baltimore or Arizona?

Baltimore has just been terrible fantasy wise the past few weeks while Arizona is really on the rise and appears to have a great schedule the rest of the season (plus Oakland and Green Bay the next 2 weeks). I may be able to swing a trade that requires me giving up Balitimore for Arizona.

Scoring is pretty standard for Team D.

6 pts per TD

1 pt per sack, INT, fumble recovery

10 pts for shut out, 6 pts for giving up 1-10 pts, 3 pts 10-20, 0 pts 20-30, -3 30-40 and so forth.

Also get minor points for return yards.

I loose Urlacher & A. Thomas to byes this week and I need some help. You all have provided some good in depth insight on this board and I aprreciate it. I picked up S. Phillips last week and it paid off. I'm starting him and I need to fill up two more spots. 1 pt per T, .5 pt per AT, 4 pt Sack, 4 pt FR, 4 pt INT, 3 pt FF, 1 pt PaDef.I just picked up K. Dansby and thinking he might be a good play vs OAK. I also have G. Brackett for IND going against WAS, so hopefully he'll be tackling Portis all day. However, are these two good starts? I could also snag C. June or G. Hayes is available too. Are they're any sleepers that have good match ups this week? Thanks.Mark
Dansby vs Hayes is a tough call. Pass rushing OLB have absolutely killed the Raiders (Merriman 3 sacks, Phillips 1.5, AThomas 2, Wimbley 2) and that 4x tackle per sack makes Dansby look pretty attractive to me. Usually difficult to go against the MLB, but the Cards looked almost like a Tampa-2 team in the nickel defense Monday night -- Hayes dropped way back in coverage when he wasn't rushing the passer. I might go for the huge game with Dansby. If he doesn't hit, he less likely to kill you than a guy like Merriman or Reed.As long as we're swinging for the fences, I'd plug June in there, too. The Colt run defense has struggled, WLBs have done slightly better against the Portis/Cooley combination, and June has been performing much better in the tackle column this year.Little risky to put Phillips, Dansby, and June in your lineup, though. I think the matchups are such that it's not nearly as risky as it looks. If you want a little less risk, start Brackett or Hayes over Dansby.

Hopefully you guys don't mind a Team D question.For the rest of the season:Baltimore or Arizona?Baltimore has just been terrible fantasy wise the past few weeks while Arizona is really on the rise and appears to have a great schedule the rest of the season (plus Oakland and Green Bay the next 2 weeks). I may be able to swing a trade that requires me giving up Balitimore for Arizona.Scoring is pretty standard for Team D.6 pts per TD1 pt per sack, INT, fumble recovery10 pts for shut out, 6 pts for giving up 1-10 pts, 3 pts 10-20, 0 pts 20-30, -3 30-40 and so forth.Also get minor points for return yards.
I struggle with these. I think I'd shoot for a team most likely to score touchdowns and hold teams to few points in that scoring system. And while Arizona looks good, I still think that's Baltimore. And I think looking ahead to the playoff matchups is a legit strategy with TD, whereas I don't consider it ahead of time with IDPs. In weeks 14-16, Baltimore gets KC, CLE(home), PIT; Arizona gets SEA, DEN, SF(home). I like Baltimore in that stretch, too.Any chance you can grab the Cards for this week then dump them after the Ravens bye?

Reposting for Brad

bradf35 said:
I'm looking for some IDP help at LB. I play in a 10 team redraft league. My two options are Daryl Smith and Brandon Short. Which is the better option for the rest of the year. Scoring system is as follows:1 pt. per tackle/assist5 pts. per FR10 pts. per INT/Sack/FF/TDThanks in advance. Brad

Dynasty Contract League (16 teams)

Must start 2 DLs/LBs/DBs weekly

Scoring format: T=1, A=0.5, Sack=2, Int=2, FF=2, FR=2, PD=1

Current DBs:

T.McGee BUF CB

D.Williams DEN CB

C.Chavous STL SS

M.Huff OAK SS

Ed Reed BAL SS and Sean Jones CLE SS were dropped within my league this week.

Right now, I'm think of picking up 1 to replace Chavous, but feel I need to stay @ 4 DBs on my roster.

Reed's been light on tackles traditionally, but has always been good on big plays, and a top-20 DB in most formats.

Jones seems to be an up-and-comer with possible greater upside than Reed.

How would rate these 6 DBs in this format with the slant toward long-term dynasty value?

Thanks in advance!

Reposting for Brad

bradf35 said:
I'm looking for some IDP help at LB. I play in a 10 team redraft league. My two options are Daryl Smith and Brandon Short. Which is the better option for the rest of the year. Scoring system is as follows:1 pt. per tackle/assist5 pts. per FR10 pts. per INT/Sack/FF/TDThanks in advance. Brad
I think I'd rather have Daryl Smith -- he's assured of a job all season long and will probably be used in coverage/pass rush as much as Short so the big play nature of your scoring system isn't a big issue in this comparision.Any big play guys available instead?

Dynasty Contract League (16 teams)Must start 2 DLs/LBs/DBs weeklyScoring format: T=1, A=0.5, Sack=2, Int=2, FF=2, FR=2, PD=1Current DBs:T.McGee BUF CBD.Williams DEN CBC.Chavous STL SSM.Huff OAK SSEd Reed BAL SS and Sean Jones CLE SS were dropped within my league this week.Right now, I'm think of picking up 1 to replace Chavous, but feel I need to stay @ 4 DBs on my roster.Reed's been light on tackles traditionally, but has always been good on big plays, and a top-20 DB in most formats.Jones seems to be an up-and-comer with possible greater upside than Reed.How would rate these 6 DBs in this format with the slant toward long-term dynasty value?Thanks in advance!
The two corners are difficult to rank; both are good long term options despite McGee's on-field struggles this year. Huff is solid. Ed Reed isn't a good option in your scoring system.I'd flip Chavous for Jones -- for this year and future years. I think I'd let somebody fuss over Reed and keep the other three on the roster. I wouldn't argue if you wanted to dump a corner for Jones and keep three safeties, though. Chavous is having a solid season.

I need to pick some bye week fill-ins this week.

At DL I'm definitely starting T Cole and need to pick one from:

A Schobel vs. NE

M Rucker @ CIN

.6 points per tackle

.3 points per assist

1 point per sack

Definitely leaning toward Schobel just because Rucker hasn't been a factor all season so far. Am I leaning the right way, especially now that Spikes is back in the lineup?

At LB I need to pick one from:

K Mitchell vs. SD

K Dansby @ OAK

.44 points per tackle

.22 points per assist

1 point per sack

Thanks for your input!

Dynasty Contract League (16 teams)Must start 2 DLs/LBs/DBs weeklyScoring format: T=1, A=0.5, Sack=2, Int=2, FF=2, FR=2, PD=1Current DBs:T.McGee BUF CBD.Williams DEN CBC.Chavous STL SSM.Huff OAK SSEd Reed BAL SS and Sean Jones CLE SS were dropped within my league this week.Right now, I'm think of picking up 1 to replace Chavous, but feel I need to stay @ 4 DBs on my roster.Reed's been light on tackles traditionally, but has always been good on big plays, and a top-20 DB in most formats.Jones seems to be an up-and-comer with possible greater upside than Reed.How would rate these 6 DBs in this format with the slant toward long-term dynasty value?Thanks in advance!
The two corners are difficult to rank; both are good long term options despite McGee's on-field struggles this year. Huff is solid. Ed Reed isn't a good option in your scoring system.I'd flip Chavous for Jones -- for this year and future years. I think I'd let somebody fuss over Reed and keep the other three on the roster. I wouldn't argue if you wanted to dump a corner for Jones and keep three safeties, though. Chavous is having a solid season.
Thanks Jene!If I can't get Jones, would you also flip Reed for Chavous?

I wouldn't. The bonuses for big play stats aren't nearly enough for me to put up with the headache.

I need to pick some bye week fill-ins this week. At DL I'm definitely starting T Cole and need to pick one from:A Schobel vs. NEM Rucker @ CIN.6 points per tackle.3 points per assist1 point per sackDefinitely leaning toward Schobel just because Rucker hasn't been a factor all season so far. Am I leaning the right way, especially now that Spikes is back in the lineup?At LB I need to pick one from:K Mitchell vs. SDK Dansby @ OAK.44 points per tackle.22 points per assist1 point per sackThanks for your input!
I think I'd start Rucker. Rucker has been pretty consistent in the tackle column and has a legit shot at a sack this week against a struggling Bengal OL -- he'll be matched up against a pretty massive Andrew Whitworth though. Schobel will have a hard time getting to Brady this weekend (DL three sacks against NE this year and only one since Week 1, although Schobel has one of the three). I don't know that it'll matter all that much, unfortuately, neither matchup is particularly inviting.I start Mitchell. After watching last week's game, Mitchell's primary issues were a relative lack of opportunity and poor tackling. The opportunity was much better last week against PIT and Mitchell responded. The tackling was still an issue though. Anyway, with the scoring system skewed toward tackles, I lean toward the MLB with a stud matchup over the SLB with just a good one.

Here is my lineup so far:

LB Zach Thomas, Mia LB

LB Derrick Brooks, TB LB

DB Adam Archuleta, Was S

DB Rodney Harrison, NE S

DP Andra Davis, Cle LB

DP James Farrior, Pit LB

DP Terrence McGee, Buf CB

Bench Michael Strahan, NYG DE

Bench Antrel Rolle, Ari CB

Bench Karlos Dansby, Ari LB

Is this the best starting lineup to go with this week, or are there any changes you recommend i make? I know Strahan could have a good week, anyway i could fit him in there, and for who? Any other suggestions for me? Thanks for any help!

Scoring:

1 tack, .5 assist, 2 int , 3 sack, 2 ff, 2 fr, 1 pass defended

Here is my lineup so far:LB Zach Thomas, Mia LB LB Derrick Brooks, TB LB DB Adam Archuleta, Was S DB Rodney Harrison, NE S DP Andra Davis, Cle LB DP James Farrior, Pit LB DP Terrence McGee, Buf CB Bench Michael Strahan, NYG DE Bench Antrel Rolle, Ari CB Bench Karlos Dansby, Ari LB Is this the best starting lineup to go with this week, or are there any changes you recommend i make? I know Strahan could have a good week, anyway i could fit him in there, and for who? Any other suggestions for me? Thanks for any help!Scoring:1 tack, .5 assist, 2 int , 3 sack, 2 ff, 2 fr, 1 pass defended
I'm looking at all these matchups trying to get Dansby in your lineup, and so far I wouldn't change it. He (or Rolle or Strahan) will likely outscore one of the other 8, but nothing jumps out at me.

I need to pick some bye week fill-ins this week. At DL I'm definitely starting T Cole and need to pick one from:A Schobel vs. NEM Rucker @ CIN.6 points per tackle.3 points per assist1 point per sackDefinitely leaning toward Schobel just because Rucker hasn't been a factor all season so far. Am I leaning the right way, especially now that Spikes is back in the lineup?At LB I need to pick one from:K Mitchell vs. SDK Dansby @ OAK.44 points per tackle.22 points per assist1 point per sackThanks for your input!
I think I'd start Rucker.
Never thought you'd say that six week ago, eh? I agree though.

I wouldn't. The bonuses for big play stats aren't nearly enough for me to put up with the headache.
I'm not making any bets here, but I would prefer Reed to Chavous.

I ended up moving Vilma this week. I traded him and Norwood to the Dunn owner for his first round pick next year and Cedric Houston (I have Leon Washington) and expect 1 of the 2 to have that starting RB spot. I don't know if I got enough for Vilma but his cap # was pretty high (9% of total cap space) and I had quite a bit of depth and youth at LB ( Thomas Davis , Thomas Howard, Derrick Johnson, Will Witherspoon and Keith Brooking). This is my first year to join a IDP dynast league so I am really unsure of what I decided to do here so would love to get some feedback. The guy I traded him 2 is currently 3-3 so I expect the pick to be in the middle of the first round and this is a 12 team league.

I ended up moving Vilma this week. I traded him and Norwood to the Dunn owner for his first round pick next year and Cedric Houston (I have Leon Washington) and expect 1 of the 2 to have that starting RB spot. I don't know if I got enough for Vilma but his cap # was pretty high (9% of total cap space) and I had quite a bit of depth and youth at LB ( Thomas Davis , Thomas Howard, Derrick Johnson, Will Witherspoon and Keith Brooking). This is my first year to join a IDP dynast league so I am really unsure of what I decided to do here so would love to get some feedback. The guy I traded him 2 is currently 3-3 so I expect the pick to be in the middle of the first round and this is a 12 team league.
Sorry, I hope it works out well for you, but I don't like it. The Vilma part I don't mind too much, although I don't think you got great value in return. The big issue here is that a mid first round pick may not turn into anything as good as Norwood could become in Atlanta next season. Cedric Houston has been given multiple opportunities by two separate coaching staffs to win the job. He's not taken advantage, either due to injury or talent. I think it's telling that the Jets traded for Kevan Barlow.

I've started avidly following this forum and one word: Great! In fact, it's really helping to set my offensive lineup, too.

Here's the advice I need:

Tackle Solo (1)

Tackle Assist (.5)

Sack (5)

Interception (3)

Fumble Force (3)

Fumble Recovery (3)

Touchdown (6)

Safety (2)

Pass Defended (1)

Block Kick (2)

I have (play three):

Bulluck

Vilma

Ryans - wow, I found him here a few weeks ago!!

With Bulluck on bye, I can replace him with another IDP or I can drop an offensive player and add an IDP. Right now, I'm thinking I don't want to chance losing Bullock so maybe drop Bledsoe (which I can afford).

I'm also thinking of replacing Vilma after the Detroit matchup this week. Maybe sooner. By the way Jene, nice spot on Vilma. Based on that, I think I can do better.

Here's some players I'm considering:

Bal:

Suggs - bye this week but maybe a Vilma replacement

Phi:

Trotter

M Lewis

L Sheppard

Chi:

L Briggs - on bye (#1 team just dropped him), Vilma replacement?

NYJ:

E Barton

StL:

Witherspoon

Sea:

Julian Peterson

NYG:

A Pierce

G Wilson - is that toe still a problem for another week?

M Strahan

Car:

R Marshall

C Draft

T Davis - rated high in Lineup Dominator

TBB:

R Barber

D Brooks

Ari:

I like this matchup!

G Hayes

K Dansby - man you guys are talking him up!!

Was:

(weaker team in the highest over/under game of the week)

A Archuleta

L Marshall

M Washington - also rated high in Lineup Dominator - why?

Cin:

Ahmad Brooks - had a good week with Simmons out - repeat?

I'm still trying to figure out who's good up the middle and which teams pound it up the center so humor me. I think I found most of the good waiver possibilities. There are some other (Schobel, Sims).

Right now Thomas Davis looks good based on the Car/Cin matchup. I'm tempted to take the flyer on Dansby or Ahmad Brooks. Or maybe settle in with two solid players like Bullock and Ryans and play the third spot with matchup like Hayes this week against Oak.

Help. I'm drowning in a sea of IDP info...

PS Jene - why didn't FBG have you help with a projections in the "Projections Dominator"?

Tackle Solo (1)

Tackle Assist (.5)

Sack (5)

I have (play three):

Bulluck

Vilma

Ryans - wow, I found him here a few weeks ago!!

With Bulluck on bye, I can replace him with another IDP or I can drop an offensive player and add an IDP. Right now, I'm thinking I don't want to chance losing Bullock so maybe drop Bledsoe (which I can afford).

I'm also thinking of replacing Vilma after the Detroit matchup this week. Maybe sooner. By the way Jene, nice spot on Vilma. Based on that, I think I can do better.

Here's some players I'm considering:

Chi:

L Briggs - on bye (#1 team just dropped him), Vilma replacement?

NYJ:

E Barton

StL:

Witherspoon

Sea:

Julian Peterson

NYG:

A Pierce

Ari:

I like this matchup!

G Hayes

K Dansby - man you guys are talking him up!!

Was:

L Marshall

M Washington - also rated high in Lineup Dominator - why?

Right now Thomas Davis looks good based on the Car/Cin matchup. I'm tempted to take the flyer on Dansby or Ahmad Brooks. Or maybe settle in with two solid players like Bullock and Ryans and play the third spot with matchup like Hayes this week against Oak.

PS Jene - why didn't FBG have you help with a projections in the "Projections Dominator"?
Wow. That's a deeeeeeeeeep free agent list.I cut out those I wouldn't routinely consider except in the best of matchups. Some of the defensive backs aren't attractive in a scoring system that favors sacks heavily but not coverage stats (PD, INT). That's likely why the DD has Washington rated highly. Although he's yet to get a sack this season, the projections for the rest of the season are probably reflecting his historical output.

Careful with Brooks this week -- he's looking unlikely to play right now if Simmons comes back. And Thomas Davis has a fairly significant rib injury -- he didn't practice today. Suggs may be an option once he proves healthy. I think Briggs, Witherspoon, Hayes, Dansby, and Washington are the best options on the list -- they're the most likely to supplement solid tackle stats with a sack now and then. I think I'd lean toward Briggs, but it's probably worth rolling the dice on Dansby this week -- could be huge.

With a list this deep, guys like Adalius Thomas or Shaun Phillips may be available too. Thomas is probably a monster in this system, Phillips could be a nice matchup guy to pocket as well.

In a redraft league, I don't have any issue moving Vilma, especially with the options available. In fact, I'd probably do it now. I hold Bulluck and Ryans and move Vilma now for one of the guys above. The Detroit matchup isn't good enough and for the reasons I noted previously, I'd rather have Barton anyway.

This week, since Thomas isn't an option anyway, I'm looking at either Dansby or Pierce and I think I'd go with Dansby.

Tackle Solo (1)

Tackle Assist (.5)

Sack (5)

Wow. That's a deeeeeeeeeep free agent list.With a list this deep, guys like Adalius Thomas or Shaun Phillips may be available too. Thomas is probably a monster in this system, Phillips could be a nice matchup guy to pocket as well.
Withg sacks 5 times tackles I was thinking about these two while reading both posts. I think both have pretty much proven they are big scorers in big play scoring. I wonder if they're available?

Sorry, I hope it works out well for you, but I don't like it. The Vilma part I don't mind too much, although I don't think you got great value in return. The big issue here is that a mid first round pick may not turn into anything as good as Norwood could become in Atlanta next season. Cedric Houston has been given multiple opportunities by two separate coaching staffs to win the job. He's not taken advantage, either due to injury or talent. I think it's telling that the Jets traded for Kevan Barlow.
Thanks for the feedback. :wall:

Tackle Solo (1)

Tackle Assist (.5)

Sack (5)

Wow. That's a deeeeeeeeeep free agent list.With a list this deep, guys like Adalius Thomas or Shaun Phillips may be available too. Thomas is probably a monster in this system, Phillips could be a nice matchup guy to pocket as well.
Withg sacks 5 times tackles I was thinking about these two while reading both posts. I think both have pretty much proven they are big scorers in big play scoring. I wonder if they're available?
Yes part of the problem with a deep list, way more info to bring in to this old brain. I just missed Phillips by a couple of days :loco: . Thomas went in the draft.

For now, I moved Vilma out for Dansby. Tonight, more reading for the Bulluck bye week stand-in...

Briggs is probably a good Monday pickup (SF coming to the Windy next week).

THX!!

Major IDP problems this week. My league's scoring... We only start 3 defensive players each week with the following scoring...1pt tackle 1/2pt assist. 4pts for ints, sacks, 3pts fumble, fumble recovery, 1pt pass defended.

My team -

Keith Bullock. BYE

C. Hope BYE

G. Wilson Questionable

L.Tatapu

My only definate start is Lofa.

Jene, Chaos please help me find 2 waiver wire gems for this week....here's the list....

E. Sims

T. Howard

S. Schweigert

A. Rolle

D. Johnson

C. Bailey

A. Henry

R. Mathis

S. Jones

I. Gold

L. Johnson

M. Washington

S. Taylor

B. Dawkins

C. Gamble

There are prolly a ton of sleepers on my wire too so just mentiona a name and I'll confirm if the players might be better than this lot. Thanks for all advice.

Major IDP problems this week. My league's scoring... We only start 3 defensive players each week with the following scoring...1pt tackle 1/2pt assist. 4pts for ints, sacks, 3pts fumble, fumble recovery, 1pt pass defended.My team - Keith Bullock. BYEC. Hope BYEG. Wilson QuestionableL.TatapuMy only definate start is Lofa.Jene, Chaos please help me find 2 waiver wire gems for this week....here's the list....There are prolly a ton of sleepers on my wire too so just mentiona a name and I'll confirm if the players might be better than this lot. Thanks for all advice.
Ernie Sims and Derrick Johnson both have very nice matchups this week. I'd boot Wilson for Johnson; hopefully you've got roster space somewhere else to add Sims easily, but Hope goes over Bullock if not.

Here is my defensive roster. I have to start 2DL, 2DB, and 3 Flex D. 1 point for solo tackles, 0.5 for assist, 1 point for PD, and 3 points for all turnovers and sacks. Have I selected the right lineup and are there any weak starters in the bunch? Should I take a chance and start Smith or Brooks now that they are starters in the middle? Will they be 3 down backer? I am especially worried about my DBs, how do you think they will do? Thanks.

Starters:

G. Hayes (Ari - DL)

D. Brooks (TB - DL)

T. Howard (Oak - DL)

K. Rhodes (NYJ - DB)

S. Schweigert (Oak - DB)

E. Sims (Det - DL)

D. Ryans (Hou - DL)

Bench:

Da. Smith (Jac - DL)

A. Brooks (Cin - DL)

Here is my defensive roster. I have to start 2DL, 2DB, and 3 Flex D. 1 point for solo tackles, 0.5 for assist, 1 point for PD, and 3 points for all turnovers and sacks. Have I selected the right lineup and are there any weak starters in the bunch? Should I take a chance and start Smith or Brooks now that they are starters in the middle? Will they be 3 down backer? I am especially worried about my DBs, how do you think they will do? Thanks.Starters:G. Hayes (Ari - DL)D. Brooks (TB - DL)T. Howard (Oak - DL)K. Rhodes (NYJ - DB) S. Schweigert (Oak - DB)E. Sims (Det - DL)D. Ryans (Hou - DL)Bench:Da. Smith (Jac - DL)A. Brooks (Cin - DL)
Close call, but I might start Smith over Howard. I think your safeties are okay. BTW, Brooks hasn't earned the starting MLB job yet. Marvin Lewis has hinted this week that Simmons (and his experience) will get the nod over Brooks if all are healthy.

Hi guys, read all of your posts, thanks for your time and insight.

I'm in a large league, start 11 on offense, 11 on defense with 3 bench spots which I use for QB, RB and WR so defense is an issue every week.

Scoring: solo 2, asst 1, sack 4, int 4, fr/ff 3, pd 1

Current starters at LB and DB with YTD points and games played:

LBs

C. Haggans 65 5 would like to replace

J. Trotter 84 6

A. Thomas 99 6 bye week

E. Barton 90 6

DBs

J. Phillips 77 5 still the starter?

S. Schwiegert 73 5

G. Earl 66 5 seems to be sharing a lot

K. Hamlin 71 5

From the lists below I would like to replace Haggans permanently and pick up a fill-in for Thomas this week and who hopefully can replace or fill-in for Trotter and Barton who have byes very soon. At DB I have concerns about Phillps and Earl, I'd pick up Williams in a heart beat if I only knew...

LBs available: (need 2)

S. Quarles 54 4 he's been great in the middle but...

K. Mitchell 57 5

B. Simmons 53 4

A. Brooks 23 1 (3)-started 1, played in 5

J. Peterson 66 5

K. Dansby 48 3 (4)

A. Wilson 67 5

Ruud 30 2 (5)

Hartwell 0 0

Short or Emmons who's starting?

DBs available

S, Williams 34 2

A. Henry 67 5

Assorted CBs, the best of which have byes

I know this is not an easy one to rattle off a response to, its an interesting League, one that I enjoy but God it's a b_tch. I provided the YTD #s to give to give you a "feel" for the scoring. I'm saving the DLs for another day.

Thanks a ton for your thoughts!

JAM

Jene, Chaos please help me find 2 waiver wire gems for this week....here's the list.... E. SimsD. Johnson
That sounded like a setup for this week's challenge, but I like both players Jene picked. Odds are they won't be the top two on that list, but as chances go, I like theirs.

Here is my defensive roster. I have to start 2DL, 2DB, and 3 Flex D. 1 point for solo tackles, 0.5 for assist, 1 point for PD, and 3 points for all turnovers and sacks. Have I selected the right lineup and are there any weak starters in the bunch? Should I take a chance and start Smith or Brooks now that they are starters in the middle? Will they be 3 down backer? I am especially worried about my DBs, how do you think they will do? Thanks.Starters:G. Hayes (Ari - DL)D. Brooks (TB - DL)T. Howard (Oak - DL)K. Rhodes (NYJ - DB) S. Schweigert (Oak - DB)E. Sims (Det - DL)D. Ryans (Hou - DL)Bench:Da. Smith (Jac - DL)A. Brooks (Cin - DL)
Close call, but I might start Smith over Howard. I think your safeties are okay. BTW, Brooks hasn't earned the starting MLB job yet. Marvin Lewis has hinted this week that Simmons (and his experience) will get the nod over Brooks if all are healthy.
I would definitely start Smith this weekend. For all we know, he is every bit the player Peterson is. Henderson and Stroud make that position what it is, all due respect to Peterson, but some of our most level headed and in touch Jags homers (Wadsworth in particular) seem to think this is possible. So I start him... over Howard, and probably ahead of a couple others on Rup's team.

Okay..my linebackers are killing me. I made the mistake of dropping D. Ryans because of our limited bench players 3. I currently have Derrick Johnson and Angelo Crowell...here are the list of available linebackers. I have been picking up someone new each week and what I want are the two best guys for the remainder of the year:

Brackett (Colts)

Brooking (Falcons)

Mitchell (Chiefs)

Smith (Jags)

I am leaning towards Brackett and Smith, with Mithchell and lastly Brooking. 1 point per solo tackle..6 points per int and sack. Thanks for your advise, and are there anyone I may be overlooking?

I need a little bit of DB help and I was wondering who will be a better pickup. Sean Consodine or Todd Johnson. Thanks in advance.

Hi guys, read all of your posts, thanks for your time and insight.I'm in a large league, start 11 on offense, 11 on defense with 3 bench spots which I use for QB, RB and WR so defense is an issue every week.Scoring: solo 2, asst 1, sack 4, int 4, fr/ff 3, pd 1Current starters at LB and DB with YTD points and games played:LBs C. Haggans 65 5 would like to replace J. Trotter 84 6 A. Thomas 99 6 bye week E. Barton 90 6DBs J. Phillips 77 5 still the starter? S. Schwiegert 73 5 G. Earl 66 5 seems to be sharing a lot K. Hamlin 71 5From the lists below I would like to replace Haggans permanently and pick up a fill-in for Thomas this week and who hopefully can replace or fill-in for Trotter and Barton who have byes very soon. At DB I have concerns about Phillps and Earl, I'd pick up Williams in a heart beat if I only knew...LBs available: (need 2) S. Quarles 54 4 he's been great in the middle but... K. Mitchell 57 5 B. Simmons 53 4 A. Brooks 23 1 (3)-started 1, played in 5 J. Peterson 66 5 K. Dansby 48 3 (4) A. Wilson 67 5 Ruud 30 2 (5) Hartwell 0 0 Short or Emmons who's starting?DBs available S, Williams 34 2 A. Henry 67 5 Assorted CBs, the best of which have byesI know this is not an easy one to rattle off a response to, its an interesting League, one that I enjoy but God it's a b_tch. I provided the YTD #s to give to give you a "feel" for the scoring. I'm saving the DLs for another day.Thanks a ton for your thoughts!JAM
Haggans is an easy cut. Thomas certainly isn't but there's little you can do with no bench to work with. I just don't trust Quarles, Simmons, or Short this week with the uncertainty surrounding them for various reasons. Peterson, Wilson, and Hartwell aren't going to get you enough tackles to be worthwhile in your scoring system. I may have my rose colored glasses back on after his game against Pittsburgh last week, but I think Kawika Mitchell works well for you moving forward. And I'm rolling the dice on Karlos Dansby for now. If you hear Quarles or Simmons are well enough to play, I'd probably take either over Dansby given your scoring system. Either way, I probably want Adalius Thomas back the following week though.Phillips isn't a great player, but reports on Kalvin Pearson's abdominal injury haven't been good so Phillips is probably back to full time duty by default. Glenn Earl has been dinged off and on but should be good to go this week. I'd hold your current four DBs. Don't fuss over Williams until you hear for certain that he's a full go -- even then, he can't be trusted past the opening snap.

Okay..my linebackers are killing me. I made the mistake of dropping D. Ryans because of our limited bench players 3. I currently have Derrick Johnson and Angelo Crowell...here are the list of available linebackers. I have been picking up someone new each week and what I want are the two best guys for the remainder of the year:Brackett (Colts)Brooking (Falcons)Mitchell (Chiefs)Smith (Jags)I am leaning towards Brackett and Smith, with Mithchell and lastly Brooking. 1 point per solo tackle..6 points per int and sack. Thanks for your advise, and are there anyone I may be overlooking?
Hard to know if there's anyone you may be overlooking. I like Smith and Brackett as well, but it's probably still worth looking hard for good matchups each week with that much available on the wire. Mitchell (SD) has a much better matchup than Smith (HOU) does this week, IMO. I see the nice stats LBs have put up against HOU, but I'm not buying them this week. I'd probably pair Mitchell with Brackett, who also has a great matchup (WAS). Also, Brooking's stats will likely rebound on the weak side, so he'll be a viable play some weeks too.If you want to set it and forget it, I'd go with Brackett and Smith. But I think Mitchell outperforms Smith this week.

Users who are viewing this thread