What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 2006 WORLD SERIES Game Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Doctor Detroit

Please remove your headgear
Tigers have four World Championships in 1935, 1945, 1968, and 1984 with ten pennants

Cards have nine World Championships and 17 pennants

How these teams got here

Tigers:

Won AL Wild Card with 95-67 record

Beat the Yankees three games to one

Beat the A's four games to none

Cardinals:

Won NL Central with an 83-78 record

Beat the Padres three games to won in NLDS

Beat the Mets four games to three in NLCS

Hitting Leaders:

HR:

Craig Monroe 28 Tigers

Albert Pujols 49 Cards

RBI:

Magglio Ordonez 104 Tigers

Albert Pujols 137 Cards

Hitting:

Gullien .320 Tigers

Pujols .331 Cards

Pitching Leaders:

Wins:

Rogers and Verlander 17 Tigers

Carpenter 15 Cards

ERA:

Verlander 3.64 Tigers

Carpenter 3.09 Cards

Saves:

Jones 37 Tigers

Isringhausen 33 Cards

History:

This will be the third World Series between the Cardinals and Tigers both going the full seven games. In both cases the team with the home field advantage lost the series at home in game seven.

In 1934 St. Louis won four games to three behind the Dean brothers Dizzy and Paul. There were only four home runs hit the entire series and the Cards shut down the powerful Detroit lineup led by HOFers Hank Greenberg, Charlie Gehringer, Michy Cochrane, and Goose Gosslin. The Cards overcame a 3-2 deficit to win the series and were 3-1 in Detroit. The the Tigers would win their first World Series the next year.

Tigers won the second in one of the most memorable World Series winning four games to three in 1968.

St. Louis won games one and four as Bob Gibson allowed just one run and ten hits in those two games while also going deep in game 4. Lou Brock had a HR in each of those wins.

Micky Lolich the series MVP won games two, five, and seven including a masterful performance in St Louis against Bon Gibson to bring the Championship to Motown their first since 1945.

The Tigers and Cardinals also played a series in June with the Tigers sweeping in Detroit.

Pujols was 6 for 12 in the series including four hits off Verlander in game one and a home run off Rogers in game two. Tigers scored two in the ninth in game two to tie and then won it in the 10th. Zumaya faced three batters in that 10th not allowing a baserunner. Bonderman pitched a gem in game 3.

June 23rd

St. Louis 0 0 0 3 0 1 0 1 1 6 12 0 Detroit 1 2 0 0 4 0 0 3 X 10 13 0 W- Veralnder L Carpenter

HR-Granderson, Inge, Pujols

June 24th

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 R H E St. Louis 2 0 2 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 6 11 0 Detroit 2 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 2 1 7 15 1 w-Zumaya L Johnson

HR-V Wilson, Thames

***Isringhausen blew save in ninth

June 25th

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E St. Louis 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 9 0 Detroit 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 3 X 4 9 0 W-Bonderman L Ponson

HR-None

Game one will be Saturday at Comerica Park in lovely Detroit Michigan. Starters are still TBA but please update this thread if you are a homer on either side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Although I will be rooting for the Cards (if I even watch any of the games), the Tigers should have no problem taking care of business. :yawn:

Although I will be rooting for the Cards (if I even watch any of the games), the Tigers should have no problem taking care of business. :yawn:
Well at least it will be two historic teams with a good deal of success instead of that :tfp: we had last year. I guess there was some interest though since the White Sux hadn't won a World Series since Teddy Roosevelt was still doing cocktail waitresses. And Houston has Enron and the Bush family. :thumbup: For the fans again, post the straters for game one and beyond when they are announced.

Well at least it will be two historic teams with a good deal of success instead of that :tfp: we had last year. I guess there was some interest though since the White Sux hadn't won a World Series since Teddy Roosevelt was still doing cocktail waitresses. And Houston has Enron and the Bush family. :thumbup: For the fans again, post the straters for game one and beyond when they are announced.
Jesus dude, get off of it. Your team made it to the World Series, enjoy it.

:confused: I can't still hate the Sux? Doesn't seem like me. I'll pass. :bye:

:confused: I can't still hate the Sux? Doesn't seem like me. I'll pass. :bye:
Are you a closet Cub fan? :popcorn:

A repeat of the classic 1968 World Series. I hope Fox shows some history of that one. Bob Gibson, Curt Flood, Lou Brock, Tim McCarver v. Al Kaline, Mickey Lolich, Denny McLain, Bill Freehan and Willie Horton!

Go Tigers!!!

I heard on the radio that this series matches the two managers with the most combined lifetime wins, Leyland & Larussa.

TIGERS ANNOUNCED THEIR PITCHING ROTATION FOR THE SERIES:

Game 1: Verlander

Game 2: Rogers

Game 3: Robertson

Game 4: Bonderman

I think the only thing that is surprising is the back to back lefties and Robertson pitching a possible game 7. I think the Tigers look at it like if there is a game 7, it's going to be Robertson and Suppan and Robertson is extremely tough against lefthanded hitters. We knew Rogers would go in game two because he is tough at Comerica and Verlander would likely be getting the rock in game one.

I personally would like Bonderman in Game 7 but at this point I have to trust Leyland. He has been right so far.

Doctor Detroit said:
TIGERS ANNOUNCED THEIR PITCHING ROTATION FOR THE SERIES:Game 1: VerlanderGame 2: RogersGame 3: RobertsonGame 4: BondermanI think the only thing that is surprising is the back to back lefties and Robertson pitching a possible game 7. I think the Tigers look at it like if there is a game 7, it's going to be Robertson and Suppan and Robertson is extremely tough against lefthanded hitters. We knew Rogers would go in game two because he is tough at Comerica and Verlander would likely be getting the rock in game one.I personally would like Bonderman in Game 7 but at this point I have to trust Leyland. He has been right so far.
CARDINAL ANNOUNCED THEIR PITCHING ROTATION FOR THE SERIES:Game 1: ReyesGame 2: WeaverGame 3: CarpenterGAme 4 Suppan I think the Tigers have the advantage in all the matchups but game three with Bonderman and Suppan closer because Bonderman is just 23.

Doctor Detroit said:
TIGERS ANNOUNCED THEIR PITCHING ROTATION FOR THE SERIES:Game 1: VerlanderGame 2: RogersGame 3: RobertsonGame 4: BondermanI think the only thing that is surprising is the back to back lefties and Robertson pitching a possible game 7. I think the Tigers look at it like if there is a game 7, it's going to be Robertson and Suppan and Robertson is extremely tough against lefthanded hitters. We knew Rogers would go in game two because he is tough at Comerica and Verlander would likely be getting the rock in game one.I personally would like Bonderman in Game 7 but at this point I have to trust Leyland. He has been right so far.
CARDINAL ANNOUNCED THEIR PITCHING ROTATION FOR THE SERIES:Game 1: ReyesGame 2: WeaverGame 3: CarpenterGAme 4 Suppan I think the Tigers have the advantage in all the matchups but game three with Bonderman and Suppan closer because Bonderman is just 23.
A little more ballbustin' between LD and DDLooking at the matchups, it looks like you'll get to see your game 6. Unfortunatly, you'll be sitting there watching Jeff Weaver seal the deal for the CardsCards in 6

Doctor Detroit said:
A little more ballbustin' between LD and DDLooking at the matchups, it looks like you'll get to see your game 6. Unfortunatly, you'll be sitting there watching Jeff Weaver seal the deal for the CardsCards in 6
He loves you like the little red headed step brother he never had.

Tigers have four World Championships in 1935, 1945, 1968, and 1984 with ten pennants

How these teams got here

Tigers:

Cardinals:

Hitting Leaders:

HR:

Craig Monroe 28 Tigers

Albert Pujols 49 Cards

RBI:

Albert Pujols 137 Cards

Hitting:

Gullien .320 Tigers

Pujols .331 Cards

Pitching Leaders:

Wins:

Carpenter 15 Cards

ERA:

Verlander 3.64 Tigers

Carpenter 3.09 Cards

Saves:

Jones 37 Tigers

Isringhausen 33 Cards

History:

This will be the third World Series between the Cardinals and Tigers both going the full seven games. In both cases the team with the home field advantage lost the series at home in game seven.

In 1934 St. Louis won four games to three behind the Dean brothers Dizzy and Paul. There were only four home runs hit the entire series and the Cards shut down the powerful Detroit lineup led by HOFers Hank Greenberg, Charlie Gehringer, Michy Cochrane, and Goose Gosslin. The Cards overcame a 3-2 deficit to win the series and were 3-1 in Detroit. The the Tigers would win their first World Series the next year.

Tigers won the second in one of the most memorable World Series winning four games to three in 1968.

St. Louis won games one and four as Bob Gibson allowed just one run and ten hits in those two games while also going deep in game 4. Lou Brock had a HR in each of those wins.

Micky Lolich the series MVP won games two, five, and seven including a masterful performance in St Louis against Bon Gibson to bring the Championship to Motown their first since 1945.

The Tigers and Cardinals also played a series in June with the Tigers sweeping in Detroit.

Pujols was 6 for 12 in the series including four hits off Verlander in game one and a home run off Rogers in game two. Tigers scored two in the ninth in game two to tie and then won it in the 10th. Zumaya faced three batters in that 10th not allowing a baserunner. Bonderman pitched a gem in game 3.

June 23rd

St. Louis 0 0 0 3 0 1 0 1 1 6 12 0 Detroit 1 2 0 0 4 0 0 3 X 10 13 0 W- Veralnder L Carpenter

June 24th

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 R H E St. Louis 2 0 2 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 6 11 0 Detroit 2 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 2 1 7 15 1 w-Zumaya L Johnson

HR-V Wilson, Thames

June 25th

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 R H E St. Louis 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 9 0 Detroit 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 3 X 4 9 0 W-Bonderman L Ponson

HR-None

Game one will be Saturday at Comerica Park in lovely Detroit Michigan. Starters are still TBA but please update this thread if you are a homer on either side.
Any comments on this? Lots of data. Lots of baseball stuff. ;)

Checking in boys. Tigers in 6.

I think Weaver pitches well enough to loose a close one.

I never thought I'd say this either. For once I am glad there is no sunday nite football. :)

Green94, how ya been. Still pissing in Tiger fan threads I see.

Everyone thought the Cards would blow the Central and the Astros would win.

Everyone then thought the Padres would sweep the Cards in the NLDS.

Then, everyone thought the Mets would kick the Cards' @##.

Everyone thinks the Tigers are going to win in 4 or 5 games.

My prediction: Cards in 7.

Doctor Detroit said:

How these teams got here

Tigers:

Cardinals:

Hitting Leaders:

HR:

Craig Monroe 28 Tigers

Albert Pujols 49 Cards

RBI:

Albert Pujols 137 Cards

Hitting:

Gullien .320 Tigers

Pujols .331 Cards

Pitching Leaders:

Wins:

Carpenter 15 Cards

ERA:

Verlander 3.64 Tigers

Carpenter 3.09 Cards

Saves:

Jones 37 Tigers

Isringhausen 33 Cards

History:

June 23rd

June 24th

HR-V Wilson, Thames

June 25th

HR-None

Any comments on this? Lots of data. Lots of baseball stuff. ;)
Yes, & you can throw it all out the window.-------if------the Tigers play like we all know they can, it's no contest.

GO TIGERS!

(from, a 32 year Tiger fan)

Taking requests. What do you want a picture of from game #1? I'll do my best to get it.
Zumaya warming up/coming in and of course Sparky hobnobbing. :thumbup:
Zumaya will be tough to get warming up as I will be 'working' over by first base/right field when this is happening. I will DEFINITELY get Sparky... hopefully shaking my hand :DFWIW... today's weather is shaping up nicely. Tomorrow will be horrible.

Taking requests. What do you want a picture of from game #1? I'll do my best to get it.
Zumaya warming up/coming in and of course Sparky hobnobbing. :thumbup:
FWIW... today's weather is shaping up nicely. Tomorrow will be horrible.
Thanks for the update. What is the weather calling for today and tomorrow?
http://www.weather.com/weather/weekend/USM...pnav_undeclared

From February when another Tigers fan and I were arguing about the Tigers possibly cracking the top 3 in the AL Central, to a World Series apperance. We have come a long way in a short time. The World Series starts tonight and the Tigers are in it. I am still having a tough time wrapping my brain around that.

Keerock: Try and get a picture of Monroe high fiving Van Slyke as he rounds first in the second inning. TIA

:fingerscrossed:

Last edited by a moderator:
From February when another Tigers fan and I were arguing about the Tigers possibly cracking the top 3 in the AL Central, to a World Series apperance. We have come a long way in a short time. The World Series starts tonight and the Tigers are in it. I am still having a tough time wrapping my brain around that. Keerock: Try and get a picture of Monroe high fiving Van Slyke as he rounds first in the second inning. TIA:fingerscrossed:
:D will do!

:banned:

A pair of rookies for game one take the mound with Anthony Reyes going out for the Cards, and AL ROY Justin Verlander going for the Tigers.

Less than an hour away. I'm feeling a bit :X

No Fox for the game either which means no Joe Buck. I get Major League Baseball International with Rick Sutcliff and some other clown. Gary Thorn normally does these games but I guess ESPN had something else planned for him.

:towelwave:

EAT'EM TIGERS, EAT'EM UP. :banned:

Let's go Tigers!

Nice monologue by Ernie Harwell for FOX. Good job FOX after hosing Ernie down at the All Star game last year!

Eric Byrnes got a book coming out or something? Dude's been on a whirlwind media tour. He's entertaining though.

Geez, with all of the predictions by the analysts and so-called experts online and on television, it is a wonder why they are even playing the games. Why not just hand the crown to the Tigers now? :rolleyes:

Yes, I realize that the Tigers are huge favorites, and probably should be, but the Cardinals weren't supposed to beat the heavily favorite Mets, either, so don't be surprised if they make a series of this. Ultimately, I think the Tigers will probably win, but don't be surprised if the Cardinals have one more surprise to pull on everyone.

Geez, with all of the predictions by the analysts and so-called experts online and on television, it is a wonder why they are even playing the games. Why not just hand the crown to the Tigers now? :rolleyes: Yes, I realize that the Tigers are huge favorites, and probably should be, but the Cardinals weren't supposed to beat the heavily favorite Mets, either, so don't be surprised if they make a series of this. Ultimately, I think the Tigers will probably win, but don't be surprised if the Cardinals have one more surprise to pull on everyone.
Tigers weren't suppose to win more than 80 games and they gave them no chance vs the Yankees. :shrug: Those predictions mean nothing. OBTW, MLB INT audio sucks. :hot:

Geez, with all of the predictions by the analysts and so-called experts online and on television, it is a wonder why they are even playing the games. Why not just hand the crown to the Tigers now? :rolleyes: Yes, I realize that the Tigers are huge favorites, and probably should be, but the Cardinals weren't supposed to beat the heavily favorite Mets, either, so don't be surprised if they make a series of this. Ultimately, I think the Tigers will probably win, but don't be surprised if the Cardinals have one more surprise to pull on everyone.
Tigers weren't suppose to win more than 80 games and they gave them no chance vs the Yankees. :shrug: Those predictions mean nothing.
Very true. I do find it very ironic that the teams that struggled down the stretch the most were the ones that got hot in the playoffs and are now playing in the World Series. And isn't it weird seeing a division winner with 83 wins playing a wild card team with 95 wins?

Casey is the DH tonight. I wonder how healthy he is and if he can play the field in St. Louis. This obviosuly is a disadvantage to the Tigers because we don't get Marcus Thames in the lineup.

Bob to sing. Please remove your caps.

Users who are viewing this thread