What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (11 Viewers)

GreatLakesMike said:
jeter23 said:
With the fantasy playoffs starting in the next couple of weeks, many of us are looking towards next year. Who are some players that you would look to acquire early in the offseason that could be undervalued? Not necessarily cheap, just cheaper than they might be by the time the preseason starts.
I'm looking at acquiring Maclin. Good speed, running better routes than expected, will go over the middle, and makes the tough catch. I like what I see, and at the moment, he's flying a bit under the radar.
That's a good call. Maclin is overshadowed by Jackson's big plays but he looks to be a more well-rounded receiver with nice PPR potential. I would bet he's hard to pry away cheap, but he may be had for less than he's worth simply because the owner may see Jackson as the #1 going forward. Potential buy-lows I like:Matt Ryan - struggling but all of the tools are still there. Owner may have thought he was ready to be his #1Kevin Kolb - he sure looked legit to me.. McNabb is making everyone forget.Josh Freeman - if his owner is scared of the Bucs, he may be had for less than he's worth. Marshawn Lynch - dirt cheap, very young, no significant injuries, first-round pedigree, new coaching staff can change everythingMarion Barber - his owner may not like the muddy situation, but at 26 i still like his potential to be a double-digit TD machine againBeanie Wells - the buying window just opened back up since Hightower isn't going away.Jonathan Stewart - I keep hearing guys complain about his situation.. if his owner is like them, go after him.Laurence Maroney - his owner may be thinking "sell high". I'd give late 1st, early 2nd for him. Santonio Holmes - his numbers have improved, but his owner may be disappointedGreg Jennings - his numbers really aren't that bad, but his owners are fuming. I question his ability to be a true NFL #1, but with Rodgers he should be a fantasy #1 easily.Eddie Royal - dirt cheap, but obviously still talentedMarques Colston - some are down on him due to Brees' ability to spread the ball... but I still think he's a difference makerDevin Thomas/Malcolm Kelly - I dunno, but the opportunity is there and they're at least catching balls nowDustin Keller - as an owner, I'm disappointed.. which means others may be tired enough to sellChris Cooley and Owen Daniels - great dynasty TEs are hard to find. See if their owner will part with them.

EBF said:
Donald Brown - Addai sucks. Brown can't be any worse.
I think one of the under-the-radar stories this year is Addai did not go away. He is going to set a personal best for receptions. He has 10 TDs. He is doing all the little things DBrown can't. I am really interested in takes on the Indy situation that aren't pure rush-to-judgments based on the 09 draft. What makes you think Addai is going away next year? Even with a 3.7 YPC, he is not sucking on an NFL level or on a fantasy level. That said, I agree Brown is a good person to target. He has great potential, he just might not see it right away, even into 2010.

LeSean McCoy - Looks primed to take over for Westbrook. Unfortunately, I doubt he'll come cheap.
Is the shark move selling high? This is the 2nd time he's been pulled at the goalline for Buckley - and Buckley is not the prototypical goalline back. Like Moreno, he has shown a lack of ability to break/burst through the 2nd level of defense to turn 7 yard gains into long TDs. I think he is proving some of the naysayers wrong (i.e., listening to coaching about not dancing). He will likely be a long term starter, but if his upside is FWP with more receptions, you might be able to get better in return just based on the other guy only seeing the good and not seeing his limitations.

A guy I am targeting is Dwayne Bowe. I love the double hit to his value lately. He spent the whole year being mediocre, semi-in the dog house. Consistent but mediocre. Then in fantasy crunch time he gets a 4 game suspension for PEDs. For a coach that probably won't put up with it. Buy now before Joe Flacco's throwing him balls in 2010. Or Chad Henne. But hopefully Flacco. (I would guess Boldin to Miami, Bowe to BMore at this point.)

editor47 said:
SSOG said:
is this a deal that is going to be pulled off the table if it isn't agreed to right away? perhaps you can make this deal in january, after you win the championship.
I'm not a fan of waiting on deals. It never winds up working out. Too much stuff changes too quickly. Either take the deal now, or move on without it.
it's a bad trade for the next 5 weeks. it's a good trade after that. i wouldn't do it today because i'd want to win this year.
Then don't do the trade. I'm a fan of shelving trade discussions and revisiting them later, just understand that shelving a trade discussion means there's a fantastic chance that the trade WON'T be there later. If there's a player you really want to acquire, then the time to do it is now, because you never know what the future is going to hold.Edit: to expound... yes, the trade in question is probably a loss over the next 5 games. Maybe that's why the trade is even available in the first place? If you wait until the offseason, Wayne will be a year older and Moreno will be a year closer to full-time duties. Maybe the other guy isn't so keen on making the trade, then. If you really want Moreno or VJax, make the trade now rather than crossing your fingers and hoping you can make it later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think one of the under-the-radar stories this year is Addai did not go away. He is going to set a personal best for receptions. He has 10 TDs. He is doing all the little things DBrown can't. I am really interested in takes on the Indy situation that aren't pure rush-to-judgments based on the 09 draft. What makes you think Addai is going away next year? Even with a 3.7 YPC, he is not sucking on an NFL level or on a fantasy level.
The better question is what has Addai ever done to make anyone think he doesn't suck? He plays on one of the most explosive offenses in the league and has still only managed a 3.6 YPC average over the last two seasons. He showed some flashes early in his career, but it seems like the real Joe Addai is the guy we have seen since the second half of the 2007 season: the guy who never makes any big plays and regularly averages under 4.0 YPC in his games. He's just not very good. I doubt the organization would've spent a premium draft pick on Brown if they felt Addai was the answer. I would hesitate to talk about what Brown can and can't do since we don't know that yet. He hasn't played much. All I know is that he was a first round pick, his value is relatively low due to a lack of playing time, and the only obstacle in his path is a mediocre veteran. He seems like a decent candidate to emerge.
Is the shark move selling high? This is the 2nd time he's been pulled at the goalline for Buckley - and Buckley is not the prototypical goalline back. Like Moreno, he has shown a lack of ability to break/burst through the 2nd level of defense to turn 7 yard gains into long TDs. I think he is proving some of the naysayers wrong (i.e., listening to coaching about not dancing). He will likely be a long term starter, but if his upside is FWP with more receptions, you might be able to get better in return just based on the other guy only seeing the good and not seeing his limitations.
You might be right. My thinking with McCoy is that he'll be a top 10-15 RB by virtue of situation alone if/when Westbrook is finally put out to pasture. At that point he'll carry top 10 dynasty value regardless of whether he's a long term star or not. The big problem is that he has already played a lot and shown some flashes, meaning his owners are probably convinced that he's the next Marshall Faulk. I generally like to target the high pick rookies who haven't played much as opposed to the ones who have already shown flashes because they tend to be underrated in comparison, but you might be able to find someone who will sell McCoy for a reasonable price despite his promising showing this season.

SSOG said:
I actually didn't see a lick of Sunday football (Holiday travel :confused: ). Did Britt hit honest-to-goodness, "Elvis Dumervil in the 4th quarter" Beast Mode, or was it just garden variety "good game against an overmatched opponent" beast mode? What other news, notes, and tidbits from this week's action should I be aware of?
He did much of his damage against Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who had been shutting down receivers lately. Honestly, part of it was that Vince Young was just passing so well, and part of it was that Britt is just really good. It was an awesome game to watch starting at 4:00 to go in the 3rd Qtr. Chris Johnson ripped off the 85-yard TD run, then LaRod Stephens-Howling answered with a 99-yard kickoff return TD. The Cardinals took the game out of Leinart's hands thereafter, and Stephens-Howling downed the ball at the 1-yard line with 6:00 left. VY completed a 22-yard pass to Lavelle Hawkins on 3rd & 9 to get out of the shadow of his own end zone. On the next play, VY went deep to Britt, who beat double coverage for a diving 51-yard grab. Upon getting off the ground, he was blindsided by DRC, causing a fumble and taking away the Titans momentum. Tough to blame Britt if you see the play (video highlights of the final 2 drives).

So the Cards get the ball back again and punt again, with Stephens-Howling pinning the Titans at their own 1-yard line again. VY opens with a 6-yard pass to new go-to WR Britt. After two straight incompletions, he goes back to Britt on fourth down, and Britt makes the play through a face-guarding Bryant McFadden. VY uses Lavelle Hawkins, Jared Cook, and a tipped ball to Bo Scaife to get into scoring position. After two incompletions and a short sack, VY flips the ball toward the end line on fourth & goal, and Britt won't be denied. He makes a leaping grab in traffic, taking a big shot from safety Matt Ware but holding on for the game-winner.

I really liked what I saw from Britt as both a go-to option and a deep threat. It certainly seemed like an eye-of-the-tiger/beast mode performance to me. Jeff Fisher was impressed too:

“Kenny’s got that personality, he just puts things behind him. He just keeps playing,” Fisher said. “He’s a football player and a playmaker. You can see what he did as a kickoff returner. They decided not to kick to him and kicked it out of bounds because he’s very explosive.”

I think one of the under-the-radar stories this year is Addai did not go away. He is going to set a personal best for receptions. He has 10 TDs. He is doing all the little things DBrown can't. I am really interested in takes on the Indy situation that aren't pure rush-to-judgments based on the 09 draft. What makes you think Addai is going away next year? Even with a 3.7 YPC, he is not sucking on an NFL level or on a fantasy level.
The better question is what has Addai ever done to make anyone think he doesn't suck? He plays on one of the most explosive offenses in the league and has still only managed a 3.6 YPC average
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2009/11/30/117...cere-apology-toYou can whine about YPC all you want, but Addai is a positive for the Colts. He is playing hard. He is running effectively in the 4th quarter to secure wins. He is scoring game winning TDs. From an NFL perspective he is helping win games. From a fantasy perspective he is getting enough receptions and TDs to make him a top 10 back.

I doubt the organization would've spent a premium draft pick on Brown if they felt Addai was the answer.
No doubt. Part of it is contract. Addai is playing for money. The Colts won't want to give it to him. They drafted to prepare for this situation like all good teams do.
All I know is that he was a first round pick, his value is relatively low due to a lack of playing time, and the only obstacle in his path is a mediocre veteran. He seems like a decent candidate to emerge.
As I said, I totally agree about targeting him. I am trying an offer of KSmith for him right now. :goodposting:

Addai is not a positive. He's a mediocre back getting carries because there aren't any better options on the roster except for Brown and he's a rookie struggling with injuries. "Toughness" and "effort" don't mean anything when your results are poor. The Colts would gladly replace him if they could. They brought back journeyman Rhodes to cut into his carries last season and they drafted Brown before this year to challenge him. Let's not pretend that he's Adrian Peterson. He's completely expendable. If Brown lives up to his draft position then he could supplant him.

How does this affect PT's long-term value assuming he stays in NO?

Yahoo's Jason Cole reports that the Saints do not plan on bringing back Reggie Bush in 2010.

Bush's 2010 salary is $8 million -- an exorbitant amount for a change-of-pace back/special teamer. Citing a "Saints insider," Cole reports that GM Mickey Loomis doesn't want to pay Bush's salary even if 2010 is an uncapped season. Battling chronic knee problems, Bush has missed the Saints' last two games. He's averaged just 9.3 touches in his nine 2009 appearances.

Source: Yahoo Sports

A little deeper than what most people are saying in here, but i like Johnny Knox as a good buy low.

He's got Cutler as his QB, which i still consider to be a plus despite him throwing a punch of INTs so far this year. And i believe Knox is the best WR on the roster. Excellent hands catcher, very good speed, good quickness. If he can refine his routes a bit and put on a few pounds i can see him being very good.

A little deeper than what most people are saying in here, but i like Johnny Knox as a good buy low. He's got Cutler as his QB, which i still consider to be a plus despite him throwing a punch of INTs so far this year. And i believe Knox is the best WR on the roster. Excellent hands catcher, very good speed, good quickness. If he can refine his routes a bit and put on a few pounds i can see him being very good.
I like the kid, but he's more raw than steak tartar. He does have all the tools - but it may be a while. If you can afford to stash him on your roster for a couple of years, he could certainly pay off. But I wouldn't expect big thing from him for at least 2 years. It may take the Bears at least that long to rebuild that offensive line and get enought other pieces in place to sustain a respectable offense.

Yahoo's Jason Cole reports that the Saints do not plan on bringing back Reggie Bush in 2010.

Bush's 2010 salary is $8 million -- an exorbitant amount for a change-of-pace back/special teamer. Citing a "Saints insider," Cole reports that GM Mickey Loomis doesn't want to pay Bush's salary even if 2010 is an uncapped season. Battling chronic knee problems, Bush has missed the Saints' last two games. He's averaged just 9.3 touches in his nine 2009 appearances.

Also posted in the PT thread: It can't hurt Thomas' value. Really at this point Thomas is a better player in the passing game than Bush anyway, so it makes a ton of sense for the Saints.

I think the Saints could probably go into 2010 with Thomas, Bell, Hamilton and maybe a 3rd-7th round pick. I certainly don't think they'll take a guy in the 1st 2 rounds if they dump Bush, especially since they've had a lot of success getting guys late.

My question, is who would be interested in Bush and in what role? For some reason Washington and New England came to mind right away for me. Washington always seems to be a player in high profile(usually overrated) players, and New England could see him as a Faulk replacement.

Any other teams that come to mind? Would anyone try to make him a feature back?

Also posted in the PT thread: It can't hurt Thomas' value. Really at this point Thomas is a better player in the passing game than Bush anyway, so it makes a ton of sense for the Saints.

I think the Saints could probably go into 2010 with Thomas, Bell, Hamilton and maybe a 3rd-7th round pick. I certainly don't think they'll take a guy in the 1st 2 rounds if they dump Bush, especially since they've had a lot of success getting guys late.

My question, is who would be interested in Bush and in what role? For some reason Washington and New England came to mind right away for me. Washington always seems to be a player in high profile(usually overrated) players, and New England could see him as a Faulk replacement.

I don't think anyone sees him as a feature back, but I bet there's a few general managers that salivate at the thought of his playmaking abilities (whether or not any of us agree with them). The Rams need someone beyond Jackson; not to compete for the job, but simply to have some effective backup/emergency carries, since Darby and Gado are useless. Still, I think that they'd be better off drafting a mid-round (and thus significantly cheaper) RB and hoping he pans out. That's sort of the rub. Considering his history of injuries and inability to run between the tackles, I can't see anyone wanting to spend significant coin on Bush at this point. However, for a cheap contract, I bet there'd be a lot of people willing to take a chance on him as a receiving back/returner.

i'm sure that most people are going to feel one way on this but i'm going to ask it:

can you ever have too many players from one team? i already own MSW and MJD from Jax; PT and Colston for NO. One is a great offense; the other OK. I have Chris Johnson and I have a chance to add Kenny Britt. I like him a lot. But ... can Tennesse's offense support two players being on one fantasy team?

Also, Jordan Norwood promoted from practice squad to roster today for Eagles for those who are always looking for someone to add.

i'm sure that most people are going to feel one way on this but i'm going to ask it:can you ever have too many players from one team? i already own MSW and MJD from Jax; PT and Colston for NO. One is a great offense; the other OK. I have Chris Johnson and I have a chance to add Kenny Britt. I like him a lot. But ... can Tennesse's offense support two players being on one fantasy team?Also, Jordan Norwood promoted from practice squad to roster today for Eagles for those who are always looking for someone to add.
I saw that too searching for Jerious. Dude couldn't make the Browns. Eagles are desperate, wishing they hadn't cut Baskett or hadn't let Amendola get away (the Gibson trade was probably necessary). If there is a DEEP sleeper to add due to the DJAX and Curtis injuries it is Alex Smith (the former Stanford and Tampa TE). He actually has been on the field a lot. Got a target in the end zone against Washington last week. Note Celek is hurt too (bad thumb). Reggie Brown will actually see the field too.I wouldn't worry about having Britt and CJ or MSW and MJD or 3 pairs. Just get the best players.

Addai is not a positive. He's a mediocre back getting carries because there aren't any better options on the roster except for Brown and he's a rookie struggling with injuries. "Toughness" and "effort" don't mean anything when your results are poor. The Colts would gladly replace him if they could. They brought back journeyman Rhodes to cut into his carries last season and they drafted Brown before this year to challenge him. Let's not pretend that he's Adrian Peterson. He's completely expendable. If Brown lives up to his draft position then he could supplant him.
I am not impressed with Addai. Think about the lanes that guy gets to run through. Imagine the void Manning creates with that passing game. Addai's playing on a top three offense, and his YPC is still pathetic. I think you could insert a number of second-string RBs (Forsett, Sproles, Hightower, etc.) in that slot and they'd enjoy some excellent production. Addai is horrible.

I am not impressed with Addai. Think about the lanes that guy gets to run through. Imagine the void Manning creates with that passing game. Addai's playing on a top three offense, and his YPC is still pathetic. I think you could insert a number of second-string RBs (Forsett, Sproles, Hightower, etc.) in that slot and they'd enjoy some excellent production. Addai is horrible.
1) Even if he is a boring and uninspiring RB (tied for boringest RB with Ryan Grant) I will gladly ride Addai's TD and PPR flurry this season. He is unbelievably cheap given everyone's negative impression of him. I think if you bought him in August you are pretty happy with the results.2) Forsett was on the Colts last year for a month and couldn't beat out their scrub RBs.

3) Take away a 45 yard run against STL and DBrown is averaging 3.76 vs Addai's 3.64. Brown is not lighting the world on fire behind the same line and same awesome holes. Except for one run against STL.

4) Indy's at a 62% pass:run ratio (for comparison two "heavy pass" teams Philly and NE are 57% and 58% pass respectively). Indy clearly has no devotion to the run, which definitely hurts its effectiveness. It's a chicken/egg scenario for sure, but DBrown would have to show a lot more success for all the blame to be on Addai.

There are lots of reasons why Indy's run game is unsuccessful. Part of it is Addai. But it is not all Addai. And to say it is unsuccessful is a half truth. When they need to milk a lead against Houston, it is good enough. When they need short yardage and goalline it is good enough.

I fully expect Addai to ask for Pro Bowl money in 2011, and for the Colts to laugh. Then he will sign with another team and lose all value. But until then, he will get 15-25 touches/game. He will be the RB Peyton is most comfortable with in the pass game (62% of the plays). He will play his ### off for that payday. He will still be boring and uninspiring but his value will still exceed his ranking next year. And I am happy to win with boring and uninspiring players like Slow Joe Addai.

I wouldn't worry about having Britt and CJ or MSW and MJD or 3 pairs. Just get the best players.
:goodposting:
factor in smaller rosters (15 man) and 13-man starting lineups. still a no-brainer?
Sounds like bye week he**. Get Britt. Then petition the league to increase the bench size.
I've been playing fantasy football since the early 90s, and I've never once worried about bye weeks when constructing a roster. It's an overblown concern in my opinion.

With the fantasy playoffs starting in the next couple of weeks, many of us are looking towards next year. Who are some players that you would look to acquire early in the offseason that could be undervalued? Not necessarily cheap, just cheaper than they might be by the time the preseason starts.
I'm looking at acquiring Maclin. Good speed, running better routes than expected, will go over the middle, and makes the tough catch. I like what I see, and at the moment, he's flying a bit under the radar.
That's a good call. Maclin is overshadowed by Jackson's big plays but he looks to be a more well-rounded receiver with nice PPR potential. I would bet he's hard to pry away cheap, but he may be had for less than he's worth simply because the owner may see Jackson as the #1 going forward. Potential buy-lows I like:Chris Cooley and Owen Daniels - great dynasty TEs are hard to find. See if their owner will part with them.
Agreed on Daniels, I don't view Cooley as a great TE.

:goodposting:

3) Take away a 45 yard run against STL and DBrown is averaging 3.76 vs Addai's 3.64. Brown is not lighting the world on fire behind the same line and same awesome holes. Except for one run against STL.
We don't take away runs in the FBG. :goodposting:

Agreed on Daniels, I don't view Cooley as a great TE.
Cooley and Daniels are actually very similar, imo. Neither are all-world talents, but both have been in phenomenal situations, both have gotten tons of targets, and both have had as much week-to-week consistency as any TE could ever possibly hope to have.

I don't think anyone sees him as a feature back, but I bet there's a few general managers that salivate at the thought of his playmaking abilities (whether or not any of us agree with them). The Rams need someone beyond Jackson; not to compete for the job, but simply to have some effective backup/emergency carries, since Darby and Gado are useless. Still, I think that they'd be better off drafting a mid-round (and thus significantly cheaper) RB and hoping he pans out. That's sort of the rub. Considering his history of injuries and inability to run between the tackles, I can't see anyone wanting to spend significant coin on Bush at this point. However, for a cheap contract, I bet there'd be a lot of people willing to take a chance on him as a receiving back/returner.
I touched on this in Rotoworld's Daily Dose early this morning (apologies to lyon812 for borrowing his "GMs salivating" line).
According to Yahoo's Jason Cole, the Saints do not plan to bring back Reggie Bush in 2010. Relegated to a minor role on an undefeated team, Bush has now missed multiple weeks due to lingering knee issues in each of the past three seasons. Citing a "Saints insider," Cole reports that GM Mickey Loomis doesn't want to pay Bush's exorbitant $8 million salary even if 2010 looms as an uncapped season.

Frankly, if play-calling mastermind Sean Payton can't turn Bush into a star in a high-flying offense taking advantage of the fast-track at the Superdome, it's hard envision the former No. 2 overall pick as a success story in another locale. Pierre Thomas has proven to be far superior not only on the ground but also in the passing game, which is supposed to be Bush's specialty. Even if a handful of general managers would salivate at Bush's alleged playmaking skills, his injury proclivities and ineffectiveness as a sideline-to-sideline runner give cause for pause.

Speaking of Thomas, the Saints' feature back is in the final year of his rookie contract, making him a potential restricted free agent if a new CBA can be reached. Despite the persistent presence of Mike Bell, Thomas is clearly Payton's backfield MVP. In line for a significant pay raise, along with No. 1 receiver Marques Colston, the Saints will lock up both nucleus players this offseason.

While fantasy owners deal with the frustration of the recent 50-50 backfield split, it's worth pointing out the difference in usage between Thomas and Bell. Similar to the Titans' situation last year, Thomas is used primarily in the Chris Johnson "Get the Lead" role while Bell holds down the LenDale White "Keep the Lead" role. Thomas obviously can't sniff Johnson's talent level, but he's currently second to Johnson in yards per carry and has come as close as any back to Johnson's absurd percentage of plays over 10 and 20 yards. As we've seen in Tennessee, the "Get the Lead" back holds a lot more long-term value than the "Keep the Lead" back. Dynasty leaguers should expect Thomas to remain a valuable commodity in New Orleans going forward.

The better question is what has Addai ever done to make anyone think he doesn't suck? He plays on one of the most explosive offenses in the league and has still only managed a 3.6 YPC average over the last two seasons. He showed some flashes early in his career, but it seems like the real Joe Addai is the guy we have seen since the second half of the 2007 season: the guy who never makes any big plays and regularly averages under 4.0 YPC in his games. He's just not very good. I doubt the organization would've spent a premium draft pick on Brown if they felt Addai was the answer.
It's pretty funny because he's basically been what all the "experts" said he was coming out of college: A RB that does everything well but doesn't really excel at anything. He's a decent back who as you said "compiles" nice stats because he plays in one of the leagues most consistent and best offenses. He's definately a repalceable cog - as evidenced by what other marginal talents such as Dominic Rhodes have been able to do with the Colts.

I touched on this in Rotoworld's Daily Dose early this morning (apologies to lyon812 for borrowing his "GMs salivating" line).
According to Yahoo's Jason Cole, the Saints do not plan to bring back Reggie Bush in 2010. Relegated to a minor role on an undefeated team, Bush has now missed multiple weeks due to lingering knee issues in each of the past three seasons. Citing a "Saints insider," Cole reports that GM Mickey Loomis doesn't want to pay Bush's exorbitant $8 million salary even if 2010 looms as an uncapped season.

Frankly, if play-calling mastermind Sean Payton can't turn Bush into a star in a high-flying offense taking advantage of the fast-track at the Superdome, it's hard envision the former No. 2 overall pick as a success story in another locale. Pierre Thomas has proven to be far superior not only on the ground but also in the passing game, which is supposed to be Bush's specialty. Even if a handful of general managers would salivate at Bush's alleged playmaking skills, his injury proclivities and ineffectiveness as a sideline-to-sideline runner give cause for pause.

Speaking of Thomas, the Saints' feature back is in the final year of his rookie contract, making him a potential restricted free agent if a new CBA can be reached. Despite the persistent presence of Mike Bell, Thomas is clearly Payton's backfield MVP. In line for a significant pay raise, along with No. 1 receiver Marques Colston, the Saints will lock up both nucleus players this offseason.

While fantasy owners deal with the frustration of the recent 50-50 backfield split, it's worth pointing out the difference in usage between Thomas and Bell. Similar to the Titans' situation last year, Thomas is used primarily in the Chris Johnson "Get the Lead" role while Bell holds down the LenDale White "Keep the Lead" role. Thomas obviously can't sniff Johnson's talent level, but he's currently second to Johnson in yards per carry and has come as close as any back to Johnson's absurd percentage of plays over 10 and 20 yards. As we've seen in Tennessee, the "Get the Lead" back holds a lot more long-term value than the "Keep the Lead" back. Dynasty leaguers should expect Thomas to remain a valuable commodity in New Orleans going forward.
:thumbup: I can see him with the Patriots in Kevin Faulk's role. Holds value for the team but hardly what most (I included) expected from him.

What do you guys see as the long term receiver situation in Philly?

DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin - both seem to be potentially exceptional talents. Maclin's significantly bigger, but DeSean is a bit faster. Both have incredible speed and the ability to get behind the defense.

But who becomes the #1 there in time? Something's telling me Maclin, but DeSean isn't going to go away. He literally and figuratively demands the ball.

As always, the first guys that jump to mind are elite talents in bad situations. Steve Smith (CAR) is the best buy going right now, and Lee Evans isn't far behind. Greg Jennings is still there. It's a great week to buy Vincent Jackson. Others: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Pierre Thomas, Knowshon Moreno, Beanie Wells, Zach Miller, Dustin Keller, Tony Scheffler, Jared Cook.
An interesting buy right now: Adrian Peterson.While Chris Johnson gets all of the hoopla (and deservedly so), everyone is standing line to kick Peterson to the curb as the top NFL and fantasy back while killing him for his fumbles. I bet the price has gone down from where it was a month ago.

Meh, I sweated out the last offseason as a Pierre Thomas dynasty owner. Even with Bush in the fold, there were rampant rumors about the Saints trading for or drafting a RB. Obviously, I was happy neither happened, but I sold Pierre 2 weeks ago because I didn't want his value to fall off the table while I held him. Don't get me wrong, he looks talented enough to be an all-purpose RB, but the fact is the way this team uses Mike Bell is a significant indicator that they do not view Pierre as an all-purpose RB. Given this, is there truly any rerason to believe his value won't be impacted over the next offseason due to similar rumors of bringing in or drafting someone else? I think that's just a reality with RBBC situations. Yes, he puts up some nice FF points at times and looks great doing it, but he's not consistent as a result of RB-shuffling, and he remains a significant risk for an immediate value-hit.

What do you guys see as the long term receiver situation in Philly?DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin - both seem to be potentially exceptional talents. Maclin's significantly bigger, but DeSean is a bit faster. Both have incredible speed and the ability to get behind the defense.But who becomes the #1 there in time? Something's telling me Maclin, but DeSean isn't going to go away. He literally and figuratively demands the ball.
I think Jackson is a lot more talented than Maclin. Jackson is literally uncoverable in space, and he is gone if he gets a step on ANYONE.Not that I don't like Maclin, I think he's going to be a solid WR2 in the future, I just think Jackson will be a perennial top-10 WR.Between McCoy, Jackson, Maclin, Avant and Celek, the Eagles have built quite the young foundation on offense, whether McNabb is the QB or not.

As always, the first guys that jump to mind are elite talents in bad situations. Steve Smith (CAR) is the best buy going right now, and Lee Evans isn't far behind. Greg Jennings is still there. It's a great week to buy Vincent Jackson. Others: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Pierre Thomas, Knowshon Moreno, Beanie Wells, Zach Miller, Dustin Keller, Tony Scheffler, Jared Cook.
An interesting buy right now: Adrian Peterson.While Chris Johnson gets all of the hoopla (and deservedly so), everyone is standing line to kick Peterson to the curb as the top NFL and fantasy back while killing him for his fumbles. I bet the price has gone down from where it was a month ago.
Defenses have still been keyed on AD, with Favre killing it defenses will need to start paying more attention to the passing game. I think AD will blow up and make a lot of owners happy during the FF playoffs. Vikings schedule:Week 15 Panthers 26th vs the runWeek 16 Bears 24th vs the run

Meh, I sweated out the last offseason as a Pierre Thomas dynasty owner. Even with Bush in the fold, there were rampant rumors about the Saints trading for or drafting a RB. Obviously, I was happy neither happened, but I sold Pierre 2 weeks ago because I didn't want his value to fall off the table while I held him. Don't get me wrong, he looks talented enough to be an all-purpose RB, but the fact is the way this team uses Mike Bell is a significant indicator that they do not view Pierre as an all-purpose RB. Given this, is there truly any rerason to believe his value won't be impacted over the next offseason due to similar rumors of bringing in or drafting someone else? I think that's just a reality with RBBC situations. Yes, he puts up some nice FF points at times and looks great doing it, but he's not consistent as a result of RB-shuffling, and he remains a significant risk for an immediate value-hit.
This is exactly the same type of stuff that was written about Chris Johnson throughout last season and into this season. I'm not saying Thomas is anywhere near Johnson in talent, but he's being used in a similar role to Johnson's last season and showing a similar effectiveness. (One example: I ranked Johnson as the No. 3 Dynasty back on Rotoworld back in May and was ripped for having a "committee back" so high). Thomas' role is safe because the Saints can't replace his big-play ability and 5.6 yards per carry. I've been using Pierre as my RB2 all season in one Dynasty league, and he's been much more consistent than commonly believed. He's a bonafide fantasy RB2. Thomas is No. 15 among RBs in points per week, and he's topped 10 points in 6-of-9 games since re-entering the lineup in Week 3.

What do you guys see as the long term receiver situation in Philly?DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin - both seem to be potentially exceptional talents. Maclin's significantly bigger, but DeSean is a bit faster. Both have incredible speed and the ability to get behind the defense.But who becomes the #1 there in time? Something's telling me Maclin, but DeSean isn't going to go away. He literally and figuratively demands the ball.
As long as McNabb is QB, it will be a 1A/1B scenario. For fantasy purposes, I see them both as high end WR2's next year.I know Jackson has put up low end WR1 numbers this year, but he's done it with solid TD numbers and marginal #'s of catches. I would expect Maclin to start getting some of those TD's.

This is exactly the same type of stuff that was written about Chris Johnson throughout last season and into this season. I'm not saying Thomas is anywhere near Johnson in talent, but he's being used in a similar role to Johnson's last season and showing a similar effectiveness. (One example: I ranked Johnson as the No. 3 Dynasty back on Rotoworld back in May and was ripped for having a "committee back" so high). Thomas' role is safe because the Saints can't replace his big-play ability and 5.6 yards per carry. I've been using Pierre as my RB2 all season in one Dynasty league, and he's been much more consistent than commonly believed. He's a bonafide fantasy RB2. Thomas is No. 15 among RBs in points per week, and he's topped 10 points in 6-of-9 games since re-entering the lineup in Week 3.
I haven't tracked rumors on C.Johnson since I don't own him, but I don't recall the same degree of rumors of the Titans bringing another RB in via trade or draft. As a #1 draft pick, I think C.Johnson deserved different consideration heading into last offseason. Now, I personally felt Johnson remained a great RBBC risk heading into 2009 with White potentially stealing significant touches and goal line carries, and Johnson has unquestionably laid those fears to rest. But PT is still just a low-investment 'nice story' player, just as he was last season. I just don't think what we've seen of PT's use in 2009 merits the same assessment as C.Johnson's on that basis. Personally, I was more optimistic with Bush certainly on the team than with Bush possibly being out of the picture. All the more reason for the Saints to bring in or draft another RB heading into 2010. That said, I did get quite a bounty for PT, trading him and Burleson for Matt Ryan and what was expected to be a top 3 rookie pick (and actually turned into the 1.1 rookie pick).

You know, I read that and thought, "huh, that's just what I was saying." ;) No apology necessary, I'm a big fan.Your comment about the “Get the Lead” and “Keep the Lead” backs was interesting. Traditionally, it’s seemed like FFers have classified RBBC individuals as “Goal Line” and “Between the 20’s” when assessing each committee back’s value. However, it seems like we’re seeing something of a paradigm shift, both in RL usage patterns and FF value--particularly with the success of players like Johnson, Rice, Thomas, and Slaton (for the first half of the year).

Any thoughts on Kolb here? It's possible McNabb is with another team next year, and Kolb looked good in the games he started in 2009.

Any thoughts on Kolb here? It's possible McNabb is with another team next year, and Kolb looked good in the games he started in 2009.
Umm - what leads you to think Mcnabb will be gone next year? Was it his totally unnecessary mid-season pay raise? Andy Reid's unbelievable man love for him? :goodposting:I don't think Kolb is going to be a good starting QB, but I do like him as a backup.

thevidon said:
jdoggydogg said:
Umm - what leads you to think Mcnabb will be gone next year? Was it his totally unnecessary mid-season pay raise? Andy Reid's unbelievable man love for him? :shrug: I don't think Kolb is going to be a good starting QB, but I do like him as a backup.
I don't own Kolb. And the rumors of McNabb leaving are just that: rumors. But it's worth discussing in a Dynasty thread even if McNabb is there next year. Why don't you think Kolb won't be a good QB?

thevidon said:
jdoggydogg said:
Umm - what leads you to think Mcnabb will be gone next year? Was it his totally unnecessary mid-season pay raise? Andy Reid's unbelievable man love for him? :thumbup: I don't think Kolb is going to be a good starting QB, but I do like him as a backup.
I don't own Kolb. And the rumors of McNabb leaving are just that: rumors. But it's worth discussing in a Dynasty thread even if McNabb is there next year. Why don't you think Kolb won't be a good QB?
I'm not sold on Kolb, but that's just a function of the fact that I wasn't sold on Kolb before the season, and he hasn't done anything this season to change my mind. Yes, yes, I know he threw for fifty bazillion yards and set like 80 NFL records for a guy making his first two starts, but context is everything. Kolb was TERRIBLE against the Saints, but racked up a boatload of yardage in garbage time after his team was already down by 4 scores. And a lot of that yardage was simply short tosses to DeSean that Jackson beast-moded into huge gains. That's not a reflection on Kolb. His second game was better, but at the end of the day... it's the Kansas City Chiefs. 327 yards against the Chiefs isn't going to cause me to radically change my thinking on a guy.He looked alright, but I watched the entire Saints/Eagles game and I didn't see anything from him that made me sit up and take notice.

thevidon said:
jdoggydogg said:
Umm - what leads you to think Mcnabb will be gone next year? Was it his totally unnecessary mid-season pay raise? Andy Reid's unbelievable man love for him? :shrug: I don't think Kolb is going to be a good starting QB, but I do like him as a backup.
I'm not sold on Kolb, but that's just a function of the fact that I wasn't sold on Kolb before the season, and he hasn't done anything this season to change my mind. Yes, yes, I know he threw for fifty bazillion yards and set like 80 NFL records for a guy making his first two starts, but context is everything. Kolb was TERRIBLE against the Saints, but racked up a boatload of yardage in garbage time after his team was already down by 4 scores. And a lot of that yardage was simply short tosses to DeSean that Jackson beast-moded into huge gains. That's not a reflection on Kolb. His second game was better, but at the end of the day... it's the Kansas City Chiefs. 327 yards against the Chiefs isn't going to cause me to radically change my thinking on a guy.He looked alright, but I watched the entire Saints/Eagles game and I didn't see anything from him that made me sit up and take notice.
All caps terrible is too harsh if you saw him play much before that game. He was all caps terrible in all previous appearances including preseason. This is a guy who would fumble the ball milking the clock in relief of McNabb up 20+. The Saints game he made one bad mistake at the start of the 2nd half which pretty much ended the game. It was 17-13 at half. Before that point it was back and forth - Saints clearly better but Eagles clawing to stay in it. 1st half - good game management with one great play by Desean, 2nd half - loses it with a big pick, then lots of garbage points and 2 garbage INTs forcing things. I don't think the outcome would have been much different if McNabb had played.Really I'd rather have him than Henne, Hasselbeck, and a lot of guys 1 tier up. If he is the starter for the Eagles he will be valuable. He would be terrible on a bad team, but the Eagles staff will make him successful and pass enough to make it fantasy worthy. A lot of talk about how hard it is to go from the spread to a pro offense; he might be a guy who actually figured it out.

kolb played fine against the saints.

he's worth rostering. he's WAAAAAAY better than henne. here's one case where i could care less about talent; give me kolb's situation over henne's any day of the week. great weapons and a coach who will throw it 40 times a game.

I want to get the board's take on 3 players. I haven't been able to watch many games this year as I have been overseas. Only tracking players by their stat lines...

Jason Campbell - sounds like he is going to move on from Washington at the end of the season. Is he a legit starting QB? Seems like he could get a value bump if he ends up somewhere like Arizona or Carolina. On the flip side, with a pretty deep QB class coming out, I can see him not getting much interest.

McFadden - as an owner, I am ready to bail right now. His name still has value and I think he will get more hype in the preseason of 2010, which could be the ideal time to move him.

Shonn Greene - Looks like he is the next RB on tap to make the move to starter. Solid offensive unit. Still two other backs in the mix, but sounds like one might move on this offseason. My big questions is how does he compare to some of the backs coming out this year? Would he be a better investment than Spiller, Best, Mathews or Dwyer?

kolb played fine against the saints.he's worth rostering. he's WAAAAAAY better than henne. here's one case where i could care less about talent; give me kolb's situation over henne's any day of the week. great weapons and a coach who will throw it 40 times a game.
How can his situation be better? He is not the starter nor does it look like he will be any time soon. Kolb is worth rostering in most leagues but I would much rather have Henne.

1) Even if he is a boring and uninspiring RB (tied for boringest RB with Ryan Grant) I will gladly ride Addai's TD and PPR flurry this season. He is unbelievably cheap given everyone's negative impression of him. I think if you bought him in August you are pretty happy with the results.2) Forsett was on the Colts last year for a month and couldn't beat out their scrub RBs.

4) Indy's at a 62% pass:run ratio (for comparison two "heavy pass" teams Philly and NE are 57% and 58% pass respectively). Indy clearly has no devotion to the run, which definitely hurts its effectiveness. It's a chicken/egg scenario for sure, but DBrown would have to show a lot more success for all the blame to be on Addai.

There are lots of reasons why Indy's run game is unsuccessful. Part of it is Addai. But it is not all Addai. And to say it is unsuccessful is a half truth. When they need to milk a lead against Houston, it is good enough. When they need short yardage and goalline it is good enough.

I fully expect Addai to ask for Pro Bowl money in 2011, and for the Colts to laugh. Then he will sign with another team and lose all value. But until then, he will get 15-25 touches/game. He will be the RB Peyton is most comfortable with in the pass game (62% of the plays). He will play his ### off for that payday. He will still be boring and uninspiring but his value will still exceed his ranking next year. And I am happy to win with boring and uninspiring players like Slow Joe Addai.
:unsure: And I absolutely can't stand Addai. However, one thing that I am looking to overcome is a tendency to dismiss guys like Addai (Benson and Ryan Grant fit this same criteria for me) who actually can benefit my team(s) in the short term. Right now I sure wish I had Addai or one of those others I mentioned on a few of my dynasty teams down the stretch here. Granted, I'd ideally like to ride their hot streak whilst I can and immediately look to trade them in the offseason, but one of my greatest fears is that I would get stuck with these guys as I don't know if they are very marketable since many have turned sour on their value in dynasty (maybe Benson has increased his profile amongst the masses recently).

But in general, I think this fantasy game can be looked at as a game of chess, and just about any players, even the ones that we don't particularly like, can have value, ala the pieces in a game of chess. Not every player can be the queen, bishop, or knight piece in the game, but even pawns (e.g., Addai) serve a purpose and have some value. Right now, I could use some pawns in my 'game' on several of my teams this season.

kolb played fine against the saints.he's worth rostering. he's WAAAAAAY better than henne. here's one case where i could care less about talent; give me kolb's situation over henne's any day of the week. great weapons and a coach who will throw it 40 times a game.
How can his situation be better? He is not the starter nor does it look like he will be any time soon. Kolb is worth rostering in most leagues but I would much rather have Henne.
unless you get points for handing off to a RB, henne is almost useless. there's at least a 50.50 chance kolb is the starter in 2010.

thevidon said:
jdoggydogg said:
Umm - what leads you to think Mcnabb will be gone next year? Was it his totally unnecessary mid-season pay raise? Andy Reid's unbelievable man love for him? :unsure: I don't think Kolb is going to be a good starting QB, but I do like him as a backup.
All caps terrible is too harsh if you saw him play much before that game. He was all caps terrible in all previous appearances including preseason. This is a guy who would fumble the ball milking the clock in relief of McNabb up 20+. The Saints game he made one bad mistake at the start of the 2nd half which pretty much ended the game. It was 17-13 at half. Before that point it was back and forth - Saints clearly better but Eagles clawing to stay in it. 1st half - good game management with one great play by Desean, 2nd half - loses it with a big pick, then lots of garbage points and 2 garbage INTs forcing things. I don't think the outcome would have been much different if McNabb had played.Really I'd rather have him than Henne, Hasselbeck, and a lot of guys 1 tier up. If he is the starter for the Eagles he will be valuable. He would be terrible on a bad team, but the Eagles staff will make him successful and pass enough to make it fantasy worthy. A lot of talk about how hard it is to go from the spread to a pro offense; he might be a guy who actually figured it out.
Big Eagles fan and I totally agree with the above statement. Kolb is a much different QB than McNabb. McNabb will hold the ball and work thru his progressions before making the pass. He is erratic with his short and intermediate passes, but has a very low INT rate because he often only throws to the receiver when they are already open. He doesn't really "throw to a spot" often. Kolb seems to lock into 1 or (at most) 2 receivers and will throw to a spot, regardless of if the receiver is open. He seems to be more accurate (or at least more consistent) than McNabb on short passes, but will throw way more interceptions. He also lacks McNabbs deep pass ability. If he is the starting QB in Philly, he'll have pretty good value because of Fat Andy's obsession with throwing the ball. He'll also have lots of weapons to throw those short, quick passes to. I can see DJax losing a little value because he won't get all the long TDs. Celeks value would skyrocket because Kolb looks to him first on almost every play. If he were the QB on a bad, or even mediocre team, I think he would have a decent completion percentage, but throw a ton of INTs because he's pretty easy to "read".

Users who are viewing this thread