What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (6 Viewers)

Question about Peyton Manning. He turns 34 in March. This is his ninth year in the league. I see him performing at a high level until he retires. But my question is, when do we think that might be? Has he ever given any indication? I've got to sign him to a new contract this offseason and was trying to get a sense for how long people think he'll play.

Question about Peyton Manning. He turns 34 in March. This is his ninth year in the league. I see him performing at a high level until he retires. But my question is, when do we think that might be? Has he ever given any indication? I've got to sign him to a new contract this offseason and was trying to get a sense for how long people think he'll play.
He said at age 30 after he played 8 years that he wanted to play 8 more years. That would take him through the 2013 season.He will probably play until his arm falls off, but that should at least give you a lower bound.

The same could apply to - no joking here - Randy Moss. He turns 33 on February 13th.In the 3 years he's been with the Pats, here are his stats:2007 - 98 receptions, 1493 yards, 23 TDs2008 - 69 receptions, 1008 yards, 11 TDs (the year Brady was out)2009 - 83 receptions, 1264 yards, 13 TDs

He said at age 30 after he played 8 years that he wanted to play 8 more years. That would take him through the 2013 season.He will probably play until his arm falls off, but that should at least give you a lower bound.
Well, last year was his eighth season, and he would've been 32 after last season.My bad. The stats I was looking at only went back to 2001, and I thought that was his first year.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is all I found in Rotoworld's database, from back in August:
Peyton Manning, whose contract is up after the 2010 season, recently assured that retirement is not on his "radar."

Dynasty-league owners can rest easy. Manning, 33, likely has at least three years of elite production left and another couple of years of solid play.
I've heard Brady say this past offseason that he plans on playing another 10 years. I'd expect Manning to have a similar attitude, and he'll likely play until he's 40.

The same could apply to - no joking here - Randy Moss. He turns 33 on February 13th.In the 3 years he's been with the Pats, here are his stats:2007 - 98 receptions, 1493 yards, 23 TDs2008 - 69 receptions, 1008 yards, 11 TDs (the year Brady was out)2009 - 83 receptions, 1264 yards, 13 TDs
Speaking of Moss, what's his trade value like this offseason? If you had him, what would you need in return in order to move him?

This is all I found in Rotoworld's database, from back in August:
Peyton Manning, whose contract is up after the 2010 season, recently assured that retirement is not on his "radar."

Dynasty-league owners can rest easy. Manning, 33, likely has at least three years of elite production left and another couple of years of solid play.
I've heard Brady say this past offseason that he plans on playing another 10 years. I'd expect Manning to have a similar attitude, and he'll likely play until he's 40.
Yeah, I was thinking five more years, at least, for Manning.

Speaking of Moss, what's his trade value like this offseason? If you had him, what would you need in return in order to move him?
Pretty much apples to oranges here from my view. WRs outlive RBs by several years, but QBs can outlive WRs by at least as much. Based on how he looks to me, the 33-35 age range I estimate for WR declines (with notable expections) and some lingering attitude questions ... I'll guess no more than 1 more very good year for Randy, and then a noticeable drop off. No risk yet for redraft, but if I owned him in dynasty, would get WR1 value for Moss as soon as I could and walk away happy.

Based on how he looks to me, the 33-35 age range I estimate for WR declines (with notable expections) and some lingering attitude questions ... I'll guess no more than 1 more very good year for Randy, and then a noticeable drop off. No risk yet for redraft, but if I owned him in dynasty, would get WR1 value for Moss as soon as I could and walk away happy.
Moss is the most talented WR in the history of the NFL. He is still going to be tall. He can lose a step and still be fast. I don't think you can assign a blanket age range to him. I think his stats last year 70/1000/10 are a lower bound for 3 or 4 more years, assuming he stays with Brady.

Based on how he looks to me, the 33-35 age range I estimate for WR declines (with notable expections) and some lingering attitude questions ... I'll guess no more than 1 more very good year for Randy, and then a noticeable drop off. No risk yet for redraft, but if I owned him in dynasty, would get WR1 value for Moss as soon as I could and walk away happy.
Moss is the most talented WR in the history of the NFL. He is still going to be tall. He can lose a step and still be fast. I don't think you can assign a blanket age range to him. I think his stats last year 70/1000/10 are a lower bound for 3 or 4 more years, assuming he stays with Brady.
I agree for the same reasons that he has 3-4 more years of elite to very good production.

For what it's worth, when it comes down to actually using the picks, I don't value them very much. Not nearly as much as most people in my leagues. It might be because I always review old drafts before our draft day, and it reminds me just how difficult it is to successfully draft a stud with a top 3 pick -- and just how many of them fall into that mid/late first to early second range. If I can get picks in that later range cheaply, I do it. But there's only been one consensus 1.01 pick I can remember being worth the price of acquiring that pick in the last several years, and that was ADP. I pulled the trigger on that, but even that made me very squeamish at the time.
I look at it differently. How many consensus top picks over the last 3 years haven't been valuable fantasy assets?This past year, there were two "top picks". Basically, there was a clearly agreed-upon top 2 (Moreno and Wells), and then a bunch of guys jumbled up in one order or another (McCoy, Brown, Green, Crabtree, Harvin). Of the two "top picks", both still have plenty of fantasy value (high-end dynasty RB2 prospects). Last year, there was a clear "top 3" (McFadden, Stewart, Mendenhall) before things got messy. Stewart and Mendenhall have both made cases to be top-10 dynasty RBs, and while McFadden's been a huge disappointment, it's not too late for him to turn it around (remember, even F&L had him as a top-12 dynasty RB last offseason). The year before that, the clear upper-tier prospects were ADP, Calvin, and Lynch. ADP and Calvin are both uberstuds, and Lynch is a 23-year old RB who already has a 12th place and 15th place fantasy finish under his belt. I wasn't in dynasty the year before that and so I don't know who the consensus top picks were, but I'd imagine it was pretty much the same as you go back. Lots of studs come from somewhere other than the "consensus top picks" range (including 4 of F&L's most recent top 5 dynasty backs), what makes those top picks so valuable is a low chance of returning a dud. You get the occasional Charles Rodgers, but generally the worst case scenario is Marshawn Lynch.
Just to clarify, my issues with top 3 picks aren't so much with the picks themselves as it is with what they often cost -- especially between the NFL Draft and the dynasty draft, when they're at peak value. This is obviously league-dependent -- most in my leagues value those top 3 picks VERY highly at that time of year. I'd have to ask around, but I wouldn't be surprised if nearly all the guys with top 3 picks in 2010 would flatly decline guys like Stewart, Gore, or SJax straight up for a top 3 pick if offered to them right now. Again, league-dependent, but I know it's all not an uncommon valuation of those picks -- I see those kinds of offers frequently being brought up in this and other threads. That's why I avoid buying those picks at this time of year (if you can pry them away at all). Even if I feel confident that I'll be getting the next ADP or CJ if I trade for the 1.01 right now, the price is too high. If I feel absolutely dead certain that I'm getting that special talent, I'll do it. But most of the time, I'm not DEAD CERTAIN. Most of the time, I do a little thought experiment: would I give up Stewart, or Gore, or SJax as any of them are right now for a talent analogous to the average players of past top 3 consensus picks? Going through your list, that'd be Moreno, Wells, McFadden, Stewart, Mendenhall, ADP, Calvin, Lynch, Ronnie, Caddy. At best, I'd argue that the average value there is going to be a push against Stewart/Gore/SJax -- with more risk/reward. If you play in a league that values them more reasonably, then they're obviously worth moving up/buying.--Above I generally tried to keep comments RB-focused, since it makes the argument more widely applicable across scoring systems, etc. Apples to apples, and all that. But here's another less common league-dependent quirk that can make top 3 picks overvalued. My main league is very old, and thus has super wonky scoring that massively favors QBs. This means top QBs are more valuable, which means that usually at least one goes in the top 3 picks and usually a second or third will go by the end of the first round. Due to depth of rosters and their value, it seems nearly impossible to get a top QB via trade -- you pretty much have to draft them yourself, or pay massively. And rookie QBs are MUCH more volatile values than RBs. So I especially shy away from buying a top 3 pick in that league, especially since the higher value in QBs pushes those RB/WR prospects down the chart. That shift in positional valuation, plus Mendenhall's horrid preseason performance and what looked like a bad situation behind FWP, led so many people to pass on him that year that I got him with pick #9 or #10. Obviously this particularly league's system REALLY distorts values and changes things quite a bit. But I thought it was worth pointing out, because even in the more-common 6 pts/pass TD scoring system, value should distort enough to again make those picks a little dicier.-- In re: Moss and Manning, I'd be looking to move Moss this offseason. I think he's still got some seasons in him, but I think this is the last year that you can be confident that you'll get good value back in a trade. My philosophy is always to move guys before their value falls off a cliff, rather than trying to ride them out. That meant divesting myself of guys like Steve Smith (Carolina-style) and Westbrook in the offseason this past year. But that's just me. If you feel like you've got young WRs studs waiting in the wings, or that you've got enough value elsewhere to procure a new #1 WR a couple years from now without getting much back for Moss later on, I think you can confidently hang on to him and still get some good seasons out of him.Manning's still a few years away from that trade-value cliff, so I wouldn't be looking to trade him at all.

Rebuilding can work if you have a firm plan in mind and you pick the right players. In one league my playoff team regressed into mediocrity because I didn't have the RBs needed to compete in that format. As a result I basically traded McNabb and Boldin straight up for one first round pick each. This helped push my team to the bottom of the pile that year. With my three first rounders I took Stewart, Mendenhall, and Rice. With a few other minor acquisitions that I made along the way (P. Thomas, A. Bryant, S. Rice), I now have one of the better teams in the league. In general, I agree that it's not wise to trade established stars for lesser assets. Most draft picks aren't going to become stars and it's difficult to predict which prospects are going to break out. However, there is a window of opportunity with most players and if your team truly sucks then you might not be able to build a contender around your few stars before they hit their expiration date. If you've got a team with R. Moss, S. Jackson, and nobody else of any real value, the chances are pretty slim that you'll be able to build a contender before those two start regressing. I wouldn't have a problem with making some forward-thinking moves in this type of situation. You don't even have to dump your stars for picks. You could just get a younger player of similar talent (something like Jackson for Stewart would be a great move for a rebuilding team).
:bow:Hopefully, I can duplicate your success here with this blueprint as I have done a similar thing heading into this next season in one of my leagues. I traded Brees and S.Smith (CAR) for two 1sts (became 1.01 and 1.05). So now I have 1.01, 1.05, and 1.06 to hopefully parlay into a trio of promising rookies or a rook or two and an emerging young stud......Sometimes, if your team is kind of stuck in neutral with limited potential moving forward vs. the rest of the league, it is time to reload/rebuild. Again, having a plan in mind is a necessity. Would have loved to get two of the top 3 rookie picks, but the way the conso bowl worked out, I at least got the #1 and 3 out of the top 6 in a pretty intriguing draft.

Sometimes, if your team is kind of stuck in neutral with limited potential moving forward vs. the rest of the league, it is time to reload/rebuild. Again, having a plan in mind is a necessity. Would have loved to get two of the top 3 rookie picks, but the way the conso bowl worked out, I at least got the #1 and 3 out of the top 6 in a pretty intriguing draft.
i'm not sure you should, but if you really want 2 of the top 3 rookies, it sounds like you have the ammunition to do it. i'm guessing the 1.05 and 1.06 could be traded for the 1.02 or 1.03 if you feel strongly enough about the guys at the top.

No disrespect my man EBF, and I'm sure you are a consistent player with this mindset. But alternatively, this is also the type of thinking that could be the reason for a 3rd or 4th place finish as opposed to having a championship banner flying.
The difference between 3rd/4th place and a championship banner is a couple of fluke performances in the playoffs. This year, a duo of Peterson and MJD would have gotten their asses kicked by a Charles/Harrison combo. Having the best team increases your odds, but not as much as everyone likes to pretend.The key to fantasy football isn't always having the best team, it's always having one of the 4-6 best teams. The goal is to consistently make the playoffs and then hope that your guys get hot at the right time (or else hope you get some favorable matchups). I'd rather be guaranteed the 4th best team than have a 50/50 shot of having the best team or the worst team.
Face it, none of us have any control over what happens in the games, the best we can do is acquire good players, draft well, and hope for the best. Of course, there's no guarantee you'll be 4th either, but I understand and mostly agree with what you're saying.
Well, another misunderstood quote that I will take part of the blame here for the misunderstanding. So I'll clarify where I was heading with this discussion.By adding players such as Charles, Austin, or Sid Rice early enough (during the period of their "small sample size" production), you would be adding a difference-maker for your team down the stretch to combine WITH your existing core players such as the Petersons, CJ2Ks, Ray Rice, Fitz, etc., whoever you already have. Because if an owner would make a determination that these types of players could reasonably be headed for star status and production, then one could have acquired them (earlier, before more samples came in) for the likes of (fading and/or overvalued name-players) Housh, Santana Moss, Lee Evans, Pierre T, D.Mason, Braylon, Kevin Smith, or even if you decided after a few more samples, one could have considered giving up Ocho5, Benson, or Boldin depending upon when you determined that they could thrive and weren't a fluke. I certainly would have rather had Charles or Austin down the stretch for this season, and going forward, over any of these guys I listed as possible trade candidates for them. The point being is that often waiting to acquire guys because you aren't yet sold due to their limited sample size can cost you in the end since they could have added hefty late-season production (e.g., ala Austin, Charles) to your already very nice roster instead of boosting another team's already nice roster. When talent jumps off the screen at you like these two guys in particular showed, you have to determine rather quickly if they are stud material or a mirage. In both cases, these guys flashed real talent that should have been fairly obvious. I hope this clarifies things.

I disagree with this... you can do a major overhaul in a very short time if you know when to cut bait.I had a team this year that I thought was going to compete for the title with the core group being:QB: Romo, Matt RyanRB: Jacobs, Portis, Sproles, WellsWR: Roddy, Bowe, Crabtree/Bess/BreastonThings didn't pan out, and I realized that this team wasn't going to go anywhere. I started selling off veterans like crazy and acquiring young players/picks. Now the core of my team looks like this:QB: Matt Ryan, Jason CampbellRB: Jonathan Stewart, Beanie Wells, Harrison, Sproles, ForsettWR: White, Bowe, Crabtree, Louis Murphy, Brian Hartline, etc...TE: Finley, Pettigrewand I have pick 1.01, 1.03, 1.07, and 2.03 just in the first 2 rounds coming up. I won 4 games this year and 3 of them were after I sold off my original team.
Who says you can't win while doing a major overhaul?Last year, I won the fantasy superbowl with this core:SchaubWestbrook, LynchFitzgerald, Moss, EvansOwen DanielsIt was a good enough core to win me the title, but I didn't have any delusions about being the best team in the league, I had some serious depth concerns at WR (my top depth was Reggie Williams and Marty Booker), and Westbrook/Moss were starting to get a little bit old. As a result, rather than resting on my laurels, I decided to make a focused effort to get younger and better. My resulting team (in my sig) barely resembles the team I ended last season with- the only regular starter in common is Fitzgerald. Despite that, not only is my team younger and better, but I actually managed to move up in both the first and second round of this year's draft, to boot.The key, in my mind, is having focus. Set your goals for your team, and make them as specific as possible. Don't say "I want to get better", make a goal like "I want to shave two years off the average age of my RBs and WRs" or "I want my WR corps to go from 3-deep to 5-deep". I mention those two in particular because those were two of my goals during the offseason. I think one of the big differences between a good owner and a great owner (not in an effort to call myself a great owner) is one of focus. Good owners will have good player valuation skills, but they won't build their team with any kind of focus or without any clearly defined goals.
What makes McCoy different from Ray Rice 2008? It seems possible that the obstacles (Westbrook, Weaver & McClain, McGahee) could part for him next year, or failing that, the year after.
Is that the game we're going to play? If so, what makes McCoy different from McFadden 2008?

I don't see it with McCoy. Too much dancing and never breaks tackles. I think he could be a nice committtee back. McFadden/Bush are good comps. I'd actually take a shot on Bush/McFadden [vastly superior athletes] breaking out than McCoy. I actually think Leonard Weaver is a better runner [have been really impressed with him this year].

Beanie's really the only rookie RB that showed me a whole lot this year. Jury's still out on Moreno, but he'll be given every opp to be the show there. [i thought Buckhalter showed more explosion than Moreno this year]. Didn't see enough of Donald Brown.

kremenull said:
By adding players such as Charles, Austin, or Sid Rice early enough (during the period of their "small sample size" production), you would be adding a difference-maker for your team down the stretch to combine WITH your existing core players such as the Petersons, CJ2Ks, Ray Rice, Fitz, etc., whoever you already have. Because if an owner would make a determination that these types of players could reasonably be headed for star status and production, then one could have acquired them (earlier, before more samples came in) for the likes of (fading and/or overvalued name-players) Housh, Santana Moss, Lee Evans, Pierre T, D.Mason, Braylon, Kevin Smith, or even if you decided after a few more samples, one could have considered giving up Ocho5, Benson, or Boldin depending upon when you determined that they could thrive and weren't a fluke. I certainly would have rather had Charles or Austin down the stretch for this season, and going forward, over any of these guys I listed as possible trade candidates for them. The point being is that often waiting to acquire guys because you aren't yet sold due to their limited sample size can cost you in the end since they could have added hefty late-season production (e.g., ala Austin, Charles) to your already very nice roster instead of boosting another team's already nice roster. When talent jumps off the screen at you like these two guys in particular showed, you have to determine rather quickly if they are stud material or a mirage. In both cases, these guys flashed real talent that should have been fairly obvious. I hope this clarifies things.
I have to believe this is perhaps one of the worst times to try to acquire Charles. The time to acquire him was before this breakout, e.g., when I saw him traded along with a 2nd rounder for Torry Holt. Or, the time to acquire him will be when he is "proven" - even though the price will be much higher, at least the uncertainty will be off the table.Much like SLaton and Forte last year, I jsut feel like his price is going to reflect all the upside but not factor in any of the risk... the owner is going to think he has the next young stud and demand a price accordingly. That means you're paying a high price AND taking all of the risk that he bottoms out. If I had him, I'd probably sell if the price was right, or hold.... but I don't think this is a good time to buy. Then again, it depends on what the price is. Offseason trading hasn't opened in most of my leagues, so I haven't seen him moved yet... but these are my assumptions based on the trends I've seen in the past.

kremenull said:
By adding players such as Charles, Austin, or Sid Rice early enough (during the period of their "small sample size" production), you would be adding a difference-maker for your team down the stretch to combine WITH your existing core players such as the Petersons, CJ2Ks, Ray Rice, Fitz, etc., whoever you already have. Because if an owner would make a determination that these types of players could reasonably be headed for star status and production, then one could have acquired them (earlier, before more samples came in) for the likes of (fading and/or overvalued name-players) Housh, Santana Moss, Lee Evans, Pierre T, D.Mason, Braylon, Kevin Smith, or even if you decided after a few more samples, one could have considered giving up Ocho5, Benson, or Boldin depending upon when you determined that they could thrive and weren't a fluke. I certainly would have rather had Charles or Austin down the stretch for this season, and going forward, over any of these guys I listed as possible trade candidates for them. The point being is that often waiting to acquire guys because you aren't yet sold due to their limited sample size can cost you in the end since they could have added hefty late-season production (e.g., ala Austin, Charles) to your already very nice roster instead of boosting another team's already nice roster. When talent jumps off the screen at you like these two guys in particular showed, you have to determine rather quickly if they are stud material or a mirage. In both cases, these guys flashed real talent that should have been fairly obvious. I hope this clarifies things.
I have to believe this is perhaps one of the worst times to try to acquire Charles. The time to acquire him was before this breakout, e.g., when I saw him traded along with a 2nd rounder for Torry Holt. Or, the time to acquire him will be when he is "proven" - even though the price will be much higher, at least the uncertainty will be off the table.Much like SLaton and Forte last year, I jsut feel like his price is going to reflect all the upside but not factor in any of the risk... the owner is going to think he has the next young stud and demand a price accordingly. That means you're paying a high price AND taking all of the risk that he bottoms out. If I had him, I'd probably sell if the price was right, or hold.... but I don't think this is a good time to buy. Then again, it depends on what the price is. Offseason trading hasn't opened in most of my leagues, so I haven't seen him moved yet... but these are my assumptions based on the trends I've seen in the past.
Great post.

Not necessarily. If Charles is currently going for RB5 value, then stay far, far away. If Charles is going for an RB12-like price, then it might still be a good time to buy. There are still a lot of concerns about Charles- his size, the potential for a committee, etc. If his owner secretly harbors those concerns and you don't, then buy.I'm planning on offering Moreno to the Charles owner to see what shakes out. If he takes it, then great. If he doesn't, then oh well. Sure, it might be buying Charles at his upside... but it just as easily might be selling Moreno at his, too.

kremenull said:
Well, another misunderstood quote that I will take part of the blame here for the misunderstanding. So I'll clarify where I was heading with this discussion.By adding players such as Charles, Austin, or Sid Rice early enough (during the period of their "small sample size" production), you would be adding a difference-maker for your team down the stretch to combine WITH your existing core players such as the Petersons, CJ2Ks, Ray Rice, Fitz, etc., whoever you already have. Because if an owner would make a determination that these types of players could reasonably be headed for star status and production, then one could have acquired them (earlier, before more samples came in) for the likes of (fading and/or overvalued name-players) Housh, Santana Moss, Lee Evans, Pierre T, D.Mason, Braylon, Kevin Smith, or even if you decided after a few more samples, one could have considered giving up Ocho5, Benson, or Boldin depending upon when you determined that they could thrive and weren't a fluke. I certainly would have rather had Charles or Austin down the stretch for this season, and going forward, over any of these guys I listed as possible trade candidates for them. The point being is that often waiting to acquire guys because you aren't yet sold due to their limited sample size can cost you in the end since they could have added hefty late-season production (e.g., ala Austin, Charles) to your already very nice roster instead of boosting another team's already nice roster. When talent jumps off the screen at you like these two guys in particular showed, you have to determine rather quickly if they are stud material or a mirage. In both cases, these guys flashed real talent that should have been fairly obvious. I hope this clarifies things.
Got it, acquire good players before anyone else know they're good. ;)

Fear & Loathing said:
Part of making good rebuilding decisions is recognizing what you're trying to accomplish and making sure that your roster is congruent so that all of your players are peaking simultaneously. If you're building around an old nucleus, you should be looking for immediate production. If you're building around a young nucleus, you should be looking for future production.
:thumbdown: If you're attempting to build around an old nucleus, you're not building. It's time for a new tack.
I think he means if your team has an older nucleus you play to win now, not necessarily building around an old nucleus.Which players do you guys think can drastically change their perceived value over the next few weeks in the playoffs? We saw Fitz make that mega leap into stardom last year (although most knew it would happen eventually) and Darren Sproles had a nice playoff to boost his value as well. Who makes a leap and who's value rolls off a cliff?

...There are still a lot of concerns about Charles- his size, the potential for a committee, etc. If his owner secretly harbors those concerns and you don't, then buy.
Enough with the size comments, it's a non issue. Regarding a committee, the Chiefs have much more pressing needs than to draft/trade another back. They'll be a second back, but the lion's share should be Charles going forward. I'm sure that all Charles owners have seen him on film and there is no concern. Spread formations + speed back + can catch + pass protect = yahtzee.

SSOG said:
What makes McCoy different from Ray Rice 2008? It seems possible that the obstacles (Westbrook, Weaver & McClain, McGahee) could part for him next year, or failing that, the year after.
Is that the game we're going to play? If so, what makes McCoy different from McFadden 2008?
The answer is.... the Raiders. Joking aside, though, McFadden did seem like a promising acquisition last offseason. He was pimped so hard on the Audible, and I did draft him in one redraft league looking for Reggie Bush of old style RB. Although if perception serves me right, he was probably a bit more valued last offseason than McCoy is now.But this is all somewhat besides the point. I stated that I'm no more sure than the next guy about McCoy. Is going to break out or remain a bit player? The point was that he put together a decent rookie season while sharing with 2 other veterans, caught 40 passes, and plays for a HC that likes to showcase a pass-catching RB. PPR potential that not many other backs have. In any case, McCoy's owner in my dynasty league is all up on him, so it looks as tho he won't be traded for cheaply. In that case, it's not worth investing a lot. But if someone who shares the outlook of yourself or F&L was his owner, someone who was ready to cut ties and move on, he would be a nice speculative trade.So if you aren't high on McCoy, what other similar RBs might be more valuable in your eyes? Forsett? His stats are pretty similar to McCoy for the year, but he's 3 years older. McFadden?

...There are still a lot of concerns about Charles- his size, the potential for a committee, etc. If his owner secretly harbors those concerns and you don't, then buy.
Enough with the size comments, it's a non issue. Regarding a committee, the Chiefs have much more pressing needs than to draft/trade another back. They'll be a second back, but the lion's share should be Charles going forward. I'm sure that all Charles owners have seen him on film and there is no concern. Spread formations + speed back + can catch + pass protect = yahtzee.
BINGO!.....Clearly visible as the sun is bright!Welcome Charlie Weis into the fold, K.C. (Charles, Bowe, in particular) is now fantasy gold.......

kremenull said:
Got it, acquire good players before anyone else know they're good. <_<
Exactly. It's a risk but if you genuinely believe in their talent, then you make every attempt to trade for them *before* they produce.I am targeting Laurent Robinson & Jacoby Jones in dynasty leagues right now. Both may not pan out, but I really think they have great talent.

So, to stop rambling and meandering around the point... JStew is a stud, and I wouldn't even consider trading him unless I was getting another stud in return. Period.
i thought this was relevant following the jonathan stewart conversation, in case anyone's looking to gauge his price. i just completed the following deal with an owner who is generally pretty astute:i gave hakeem nicks, reggie bush and ben roethlisbergerfor jonathan stewart, zach miller and matt moore

So, to stop rambling and meandering around the point... JStew is a stud, and I wouldn't even consider trading him unless I was getting another stud in return. Period.
i thought this was relevant following the jonathan stewart conversation, in case anyone's looking to gauge his price. i just completed the following deal with an owner who is generally pretty astute:i gave hakeem nicks, reggie bush and ben roethlisbergerfor jonathan stewart, zach miller and matt moore
I take it the guy was in desperate need of a QB/WR?

not really :thumbup:he had mcnabb, and not much behind him, and he had marshall, boldin and MSW at WR. it's a PPR league, which adds some value to the bush/nicks side of the deal.

gorf said:
finito said:
gorf said:
not really :kicksrock:he had mcnabb, and not much behind him, and he had marshall, boldin and MSW at WR. it's a PPR league, which adds some value to the bush/nicks side of the deal.
You got a great deal. I think you won it easily.

finito said:
FUBAR said:
kremenull said:
Got it, acquire good players before anyone else know they're good. :goodposting:
Exactly. It's a risk but if you genuinely believe in their talent, then you make every attempt to trade for them *before* they produce.I am targeting Laurent Robinson & Jacoby Jones in dynasty leagues right now. Both may not pan out, but I really think they have great talent.
yeah, I'm not sure my sarcasm came across; he's right, it's just that I thought this was obvious to anyone. Still doesn't justify paying the ceiling. I might think a stock is worth $100, but if I can get it for $50, I buy it at $50 and not $100.

Continuation of a previous issue:

FA Auction coming up

Please rank the following 4 players in PPR assuming a 5 year contract on all:

Jon Stewart

Matt Forte

Desean Jackson

Knowshon Moreno

Thanks in advance

I've asked a few questions in this thread but haven't really gotten much response. So here are my thoughts instead. Justin Forsett's value take a nice jump if Carroll heads to Seattle. He's the next Jamaal Charles I think. He's been dynamite, and will have the offseason now to get stronger and better. He's very fast and Carroll has no connection to Julius Jones at all. It might well be a real competition but I don't think that Forsett loses that battle.

gorf said:
finito said:
gorf said:
not really :goodposting:he had mcnabb, and not much behind him, and he had marshall, boldin and MSW at WR. it's a PPR league, which adds some value to the bush/nicks side of the deal.
You got a great deal. I think you won it easily.
slight edge, but not a 'won it easily' in my opinon. who is the guy's other QB that he traded away roethlisberger? i'm not sold on matt moore. i think there's a good chance you just saw the 5 best games of his career.

Tackling Dummies said:
It's not a non-issue. It's not a dealbreaker, but saying it's not an issue at all is just burying your head in the sand. There have been backs that have had fantasy value at a comparable height/weight combination (Warrick Dunn is the patron saint of gangly RBs), but their rarity alone shows that size is an issue. It's something that has to be accounted for.
Continuation of a previous issue:FA Auction coming upPlease rank the following 4 players in PPR assuming a 5 year contract on all:Jon StewartMatt ForteDesean JacksonKnowshon MorenoThanks in advance
1. Stewart2. Jackson...3. Moreno..4. Forte
Good list, although I'd move Forte a bit closer to Moreno.

slight edge, but not a 'won it easily' in my opinon. who is the guy's other QB that he traded away roethlisberger? i'm not sold on matt moore. i think there's a good chance you just saw the 5 best games of his career.
i also have brady, so roethlisberger wasn't really my QB1 anyway.

gorf said:
To add to this to help gauge Stewart's value (12 team contract league, 25 players $250 cap) and to point out the use of draft picks to help deals I made the following move with a relatively stingy owner:I gave Jennings ($12/4y) + 1.4I got DWill (RFA) + JStew ($16/4y) + 2.84 weeks ago it was actually a R1 swap of picks as he needed CAR RB for the playoffs but as Stewart went off the last 4 weeks, he hedged and I had no problem moving from a R1 pick to a 2nd as additional compensation to move the deal along.

Not necessarily. If Charles is currently going for RB5 value, then stay far, far away. If Charles is going for an RB12-like price, then it might still be a good time to buy. There are still a lot of concerns about Charles- his size, the potential for a committee, etc. If his owner secretly harbors those concerns and you don't, then buy.I'm planning on offering Moreno to the Charles owner to see what shakes out. If he takes it, then great. If he doesn't, then oh well. Sure, it might be buying Charles at his upside... but it just as easily might be selling Moreno at his, too.
That's sort of what I'm getting at... I see the same sort of views forming about Charles (particularly from CHarles owners) that I saw about Forte and Slaton last year... that they thought he will be the next coming. So, like Forte or Slaton last year, I think you're going to see him valued closer to his upside that his downside, which makes him a bad candidate to buy. Maybe it's just me, but I'm very reluctant to buy anything when the price is on a sleep slant up, because the price is as high as other guys and yet there's still all the uncertainty on the table. If I'm paying that much much, I'd rather pay a little more and get a "proven" guy, or pay a little less for a guy who has a lower floor. In fact, unless it's someone I feel VERY strongly about (as I did with CJ last year and guys like Sid Rice this year), I am usually the one selling in these situations. Personally, I'm just one of those kinds of people who tries to find value BEFORE they break out, and then sell high when I don't think it's sustainable. In a case like Charles, I think his value is going to be especially inflated because of how he ended the season... 258 yards + CJ's 2k year are fresh in everyone's mind, and with no other football to distract them, they will fantasize about that and his price will reflect those fantasies :lmao:That said, I'm not sure what the actual price difference is between RB5 and RB12. As for a trade like Moreno for Charles straight up - I never understood why someone would think about a trade like that. If you offer me one person of relatively similar makeup (young, upside, etc) at the same position as a swap - and unless you own the other RB in the RBBC or something - you simply have to question the values there. Even if I think your guy is better, I should realize that you clearly value my player more and thus I'll hold out until I get a better price. :lmao:

As for a trade like Moreno for Charles straight up - I never understood why someone would think about a trade like that. If you offer me one person of relatively similar makeup (young, upside, etc) at the same position as a swap - and unless you own the other RB in the RBBC or something - you simply have to question the values there. Even if I think your guy is better, I should realize that you clearly value my player more and thus I'll hold out until I get a better price. :thumbup:
You could try to hold out for a better price. I'd reply with "guess I'm going into next season with Moreno, then" and shut down discussions. I generally don't lowball, so my first offer is generally my biggest offer. I'd be happy to change pieces around (i.e. give you a package of players I value identically to Moreno instead of Moreno himself), or I might throw in a late pick or something to "grease the wheels" or allow you to save face in the transaction log or whatever, but I think it's important to make it known from the beginning that you aren't wishy-washy, you don't lock in on players (which is why I was opposed to the Ricky-for-Greene swap, since it was a CLEAR case of overwhelming tunnel vision for a single player). If someone holds out for a better price and you acquiesce, all you're doing is saying that people can milk you whenever they feel like it.It should be clear that I'm making the offer because I like Charles more than Moreno and not for any ancillary concerns. If the other guy likes Moreno better than Charles, then the deal gets done. If he doesn't, it doesn't. No real sweat either way.

As for a trade like Moreno for Charles straight up - I never understood why someone would think about a trade like that. If you offer me one person of relatively similar makeup (young, upside, etc) at the same position as a swap - and unless you own the other RB in the RBBC or something - you simply have to question the values there. Even if I think your guy is better, I should realize that you clearly value my player more and thus I'll hold out until I get a better price. :football:
You could try to hold out for a better price. I'd reply with "guess I'm going into next season with Moreno, then" and shut down discussions. I generally don't lowball, so my first offer is generally my biggest offer. I'd be happy to change pieces around (i.e. give you a package of players I value identically to Moreno instead of Moreno himself), or I might throw in a late pick or something to "grease the wheels" or allow you to save face in the transaction log or whatever, but I think it's important to make it known from the beginning that you aren't wishy-washy, you don't lock in on players (which is why I was opposed to the Ricky-for-Greene swap, since it was a CLEAR case of overwhelming tunnel vision for a single player). If someone holds out for a better price and you acquiesce, all you're doing is saying that people can milk you whenever they feel like it.It should be clear that I'm making the offer because I like Charles more than Moreno and not for any ancillary concerns. If the other guy likes Moreno better than Charles, then the deal gets done. If he doesn't, it doesn't. No real sweat either way.
:confused: While I'm usually reluctant to do "young RB" for "young RB" or "old QB" for "old QB", etc. trades, there's no reason not to if you feel you're getting the better player.

Jacobs looked done this season. Add the injury and he's a guy that I'll be avoiding like poison.

I'm not sure any of the NYG backs are good targets right now. Bradshaw would be my pick if I had to choose one. He has always played well when given opportunities, but that doesn't necessarily mean he's due for a bigger role. It could be more of the same in 2010.

agree that jacobs probably doesn't hold much long term value. if i had to pick a guy, i'd go with bradshaw, too, but i question whether the giants will ever make him a full time back worthy of a fantasy start on any sort of regular basis. the better value play might be to pick up one or more of danny ware, andre brown and gartrell johnson and see what shakes out. if one of those guys can get a larger share of the workload than the giants have shown recently that they're willing to give one guy, then obviously he'd hold the most value. so there's two questions -- one, will they give one guy a bigger share of the workload, and two, if so, who.

not must of an answer, but maybe that's a decent way to approach it.

FB Guys "Dynasty Thread League" Playoff Preview:

The FB Guys Dynasty league regular season was exciting to the finish, with Fear & Loathing narrowly edging ChuckLiddell in total points during Showdown Week. Both teams managed to leapfrog FUBAR, pushing him into third place. Twinkilling.com’s Week 17 victory vaulted him into fourth place while Gorf fell to fifth. Neo’s total points suggest he deserved a better fate than the last seed.

The inaugural season didn’t feature a flurry of last-minute blockbuster deals, but we did see Fear & Loathing, Twinkilling, and ChuckLiddell tweaking their rosters for a run at the title. With less than an hour til game time, Twinkilling is still feverishly working the phones. As the owners get more comfortable with the various strategies and avenues available in the coming years, we can expect a pre-playoff trading hysteria down the road.

Congratulations to all of the playoff owners for getting this far. Remember: championship banners fly forever. Swing for the fences.

No. 1 Seed: Fear & Loathing [+50 points]

Week 1 Lineup:

QB:

RB: Ray Rice, BAL @ NE

RB: Ryan Grant, GB @ ARI

WR: Larry Fitzgerald, ARI vs. GB

WR: Miles Austin, DAL vs. PHI

WR:

FL: Fred Taylor, NE vs. BAL

TE: Ben Watson, NE vs. BAL

K: Jay Feely, NYJ @ CIN

D/ST: Patriots, NE vs. BAL

Bench: Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, Michael Vick, Willis McGahee, Pierre Thomas, Mike Bell, Reggie Wayne, Early Doucet, Jeremy Shockey, Garrett Hartley, Ryan Longwell, Saints D/ST

Strategy: It’s a well-balanced approach, featuring Fear & Loathing’s patented “piggy-back” gambling approach that his served him well over the years. Austin is too good to sit. Starting both Taylor and Rice guarantees that either Rice or Pierre Thomas will start in Round 2 while Grant and Fitz guarantee that one of those two studs will move on. Shockey, Saints D/ST, Hartley and Longwell aren’t high scorers, so the decision to gamble with the trio of Watson, Patriots D/ST, and Feely makes sense. Warner would be too much of a gamble to risk losing Favre.

Outlook: Ship of Fools need the first round games to go as planned, so he can plug in Favre, Thomas, Wayne, Shockey, Hartley/Longwell, and Saints defense in Round 2. With the homefield advantage, Fear & Loathing could be sitting pretty even if one or two of the first round matchups don’t go as planned. It’s imperative that he builds a big lead in the first two rounds in case the Chargers go all the way.

No. 2 Seed: ChuckLiddell [+40 points]

Week 1 Lineup:

QB:

RB: Cedric Benson, CIN vs. NYJ

RB:

WR: Patrick Crayton, DAL vs. PHI

WR: Donald Driver, GB @ ARI

WR: Jeremy Maclin, PHI @ DAL

FL:

K:

D/ST:

Bench: Philip Rivers, Billy Volek, Joseph Addai, Bernard Berrian, Malcom Floyd, Lance Moore, Antonio Gates, Visanthe Schiancoe, Nate Kaeding, Vikings D/ST

Strategy: Go Chargers! With Rivers, Floyd, Gates, and Kaeding waiting to be used in Round 2, ChuckLiddell has to be considered the favorite if the Chargers end up winning in Miami next month. Getting big Week 1 performances out of Benson, Crayton, Driver, and Maclin will go a long way toward helping his Chargers in the later rounds. The luxury of plugging in Addai and Vikes’ Berrian/Defense duo is an added bonus.

Outlook: It’s Chargers or bust. Gefilte Fish’s only legit chance to win the whole schmeer is for San Diego to make it all the way to the Big Game. Having the Vikes as an opponent isn’t necessarily the best case scenario, as Ship of Fools can counteract with Brett Favre and Ryan Longwell.

No. 3 Seed: FUBAR [+30 points]

Week 1 Lineup:

QB:

RB: Brian Leonard, CIN vs. NYJ

RB: LaRod Stephens-Howling, ARI vs. GB

WR: Anquan Boldin, ARI vs. GB

WR: Jordy Nelson, GB @ ARI

WR: Sam Aiken, NE vs. BAL

FL:

K: Shaun Suisham, DAL vs. PHI

D/ST: Ravens, BAL @ NE

Bench: Devery Henderson, Dallas Clark, David Thomas

Strategy: Is there one? FUBAR had a fantastic regular season, but his best players failed to make the playoffs this year. He’s left to throwing out dregs and scrubeenies in what amounts to a Hail Mary pass from the back of his end zone.

Outlook: Prognosis negative. FUBAR’s playoff performance could lead to a team name change to the “Scrub All Stars.”

No. 4 Seed: Twinkilling.com [+20 points]

Week 1 Lineup:

QB: Tom Brady, NE vs. BAL

RB: Brian Westbrook, PHI @ DAL

RB: Tashard Choice, DAL vs. PHI

WR: Derrick Mason, BAL @ NE

WR:

WR:

TE: Jermichael Finley, GB @ ARI

FL: Brent Celek, PHI @ DAL

K: Shayne Graham, CIN vs. NYJ

D/ST: Bengals, CIN vs. NYJ

Bench: Bernard Scott, Le’Ron McClain, Percy Harvin, Matt Stover, Colts D/ST

Strategy: Twinkilling made a blockbuster trade to acquire young studs Harvin and Finley, but he still lacks a coherent strategy. Brad is counting on Brady leading the Pats to the Super Bowl against an Iggles squad riding Celek and Westbrook. A key decision will be trying to piggyback the Bengals and Colts kicker and defense: Do you roll the dice with the Bengals trying to make up ground in the first round? Or do you play it safe and guarantee that you can plug in the Colts in the second round?

Outlook: Twinkilling’s only shot is a Pats-Eagles Super Bowl, with Brady, Celek and Westbrook racking up mucho points along the way. Can Finley and Harvin contribute enough to make a crucial difference in the final standings? Not bloody likely.

No. 5 Seed: Gorf [+10 points]

Week 1 Lineup:

QB: Carson Palmer, CIN vs. NYJ

RB: Thomas Jones, NYJ @ CIN

RB: Brandon Jackson, GB @ ARI

WR: Greg Jennings, GB @ ARI

WR: James Jones, GB @ ARI

WR:

TE: Todd Heap, BAL @ NE

FL:

K: Stephen Gostkowski, NE vs. BAL

D/ST:

Bench: Darren Sproles, Donald Brown, Neil Rackers, Adam Vinatieri

Strategy: Gorf’s playoff roster wasn’t strong enough to for a major run at the title, so he’s going with whatever he has at his disposal. He’s hoping the Packers advance to the Super Bowl with role players Jones and Jackson becoming burgeoning young stars. Hey, a man can dream.

Outlook: Do you believe in miracles? Gorf can’t possibly win unless a plague strikes the other five playoff rosters. Even if the Packers go all the way, their biggest scorers are spread out on several teams. There’s always next year.

No. 6 Seed: Neo [0 points]

Week 1 Lineup:

QB:

RB: LeSean McCoy, PHI @ DAL

WR: Julian Edelman, NE vs. BAL

WR: Jerricho Cotchery, NYJ @ CIN

WR: Laveranues Coles, CIN vs. NYJ

TE: Jason Witten, DAL vs. PHI

FL: Martellus Bennett, DAL vs. PHI

K:

D/ST: Packers, GB @ ARI

Bench: Peyton Manning, Matt Leinart, Austin Collie, Marques Colston,

Strategy: Neo will be rooting for Witten and Bennett to star in a Cowboys win while hoping McCoy finds the end zone on a big play for a losing Eagles team. By Round 2, he can plug in Peyton Manning at QB while replacing either Cotchery or Coles with Colston. Should the Cowboys win, Neo can then replace Bennett at flex with Collie.

Outlook: FBombs need the Colts to go all the way with Manning hitting Collie for multiple scores. With a homefield disadvantage, the outlook is bleak. Only a Colts-Cowboys Super Bowl would give Neo a chance, and even then, it’s a severe long shot.

As for a trade like Moreno for Charles straight up - I never understood why someone would think about a trade like that. If you offer me one person of relatively similar makeup (young, upside, etc) at the same position as a swap - and unless you own the other RB in the RBBC or something - you simply have to question the values there. Even if I think your guy is better, I should realize that you clearly value my player more and thus I'll hold out until I get a better price. :shrug:
SSOG - I agree with your philosopy here and am sometimes mystified by the responses to trade offers I have made for players at the same position of similar age and value. In fact one owner last year told me he doesn't make trades for players at the same position (?). I sometimes think there is some irrational fear that I know more than they do. Not always the case, as before the 2009 season started I offered Steve Smith of the Giants straight up for Mark Bradley in a PPR league, which was rejected fairly quickly. In retrospect I am not sure what I thinking at the time. :bag:

As for a trade like Moreno for Charles straight up - I never understood why someone would think about a trade like that. If you offer me one person of relatively similar makeup (young, upside, etc) at the same position as a swap - and unless you own the other RB in the RBBC or something - you simply have to question the values there. Even if I think your guy is better, I should realize that you clearly value my player more and thus I'll hold out until I get a better price. :lmao:
:football: While I'm usually reluctant to do "young RB" for "young RB" or "old QB" for "old QB", etc. trades, there's no reason not to if you feel you're getting the better player.
Oh, sure... I'm not saying you shouldn't take the deal if you like the guy being offered better. I just mean it's not something you can "sell"... it's tough to tell me I'm getting the better end of the deal when there's no position/age/salary/etc situation involved. If you're offering me a young WR for a young WR and both are generally in the same range, you can't turn around and tell me I should accept because I'm getting the better player.E.g., in one league I had an owner offer me Cotchery for Holmes no less than 5 times. I told him upfront that I liked Holmes better, and yet he kept trying to do essentially the same deal but telling me that Cotchery was better/was going to be better with Sanchez/etc etc... clearly if you really believed that, you wouldn't be offering me the deal :)Of course.. I've seen offers like this that make sense when there's a salary cap involved. E.g., you may regard Moreno higher, but Charles has a cheaper contract, so you'll take Charles for Moreno (I'm using this as an example, I understand that you/others/etc have Charles as the higher rank right now).

As for a trade like Moreno for Charles straight up - I never understood why someone would think about a trade like that. If you offer me one person of relatively similar makeup (young, upside, etc) at the same position as a swap - and unless you own the other RB in the RBBC or something - you simply have to question the values there. Even if I think your guy is better, I should realize that you clearly value my player more and thus I'll hold out until I get a better price. :grad:
:shrug: While I'm usually reluctant to do "young RB" for "young RB" or "old QB" for "old QB", etc. trades, there's no reason not to if you feel you're getting the better player.
Oh, sure... I'm not saying you shouldn't take the deal if you like the guy being offered better. I just mean it's not something you can "sell"... it's tough to tell me I'm getting the better end of the deal when there's no position/age/salary/etc situation involved. If you're offering me a young WR for a young WR and both are generally in the same range, you can't turn around and tell me I should accept because I'm getting the better player.E.g., in one league I had an owner offer me Cotchery for Holmes no less than 5 times. I told him upfront that I liked Holmes better, and yet he kept trying to do essentially the same deal but telling me that Cotchery was better/was going to be better with Sanchez/etc etc... clearly if you really believed that, you wouldn't be offering me the deal :)

Of course.. I've seen offers like this that make sense when there's a salary cap involved. E.g., you may regard Moreno higher, but Charles has a cheaper contract, so you'll take Charles for Moreno (I'm using this as an example, I understand that you/others/etc have Charles as the higher rank right now).
I don't, but others do. Depends on the owners of course but I for one absolutely hate when the offering party tries to sell a deal to me. I don't need him to explain why his player is better or to tell me I'm getting younger, I either know this or disagree. I can see an email explaining why the deal was offered if I reject it, but I'm that guy who rejects a trade because he's getting sold to, even if sometimes I may have taken it if it was just offered. Go ahead and offer me Greg Jennings for Brandon Marshall, just don't try to sell me on it.

Shonn Greene should be on everyones radar now. I know many on here liked him. But, he is usually compared to a Rudi Johnson clone and I thought yesterday showed he could be a little better than that. He looked capable of really piling up yards. Broke several tackles and looked pretty impressive. He is the type of back that will do better with more carries. An injury to Jones could vault him into a RB1 status?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...ield-highlights

The very first play it shows you see power, vision, and more speed than he gets credit for most of the time.

I think he has quite a bit of potential for next year.
Time to move Greene up a bit more? Trusted with more carries today in their most important game. Has responded every time he has been given most of the carries. Plenty of talent and a lot of opportunity.

Is Felix Jones being unleashed today? Where has this been?
For the record, I've never doubted Felix's ability to pile up gaudy yardage or ypc stats. I've doubted his ability to pile up gaudy carry stats. And I still do doubt it.

Users who are viewing this thread