What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (10 Viewers)

I think Sidney Rice is one tier too low.
I agree. But I seem to like Rice more than most people, especially in comparison to guys like Harvin (who I do like), Wayne, and Bowe.
I don't see how Harvin can be a tier ahead of Rice. Does that make sense? Both are injury risks but I believe Rice is slightly younger (not positive, don't have access to look it up from work, only access to certain sites that aren't blocked) and has more upside than Harvin imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Sidney Rice is one tier too low.
I agree. But I seem to like Rice more than most people, especially in comparison to guys like Harvin (who I do like), Wayne, and Bowe.
I don't see how Harvin can be a tier ahead of Rice. Does that make sense? Both are injury risks but I believe Rice is slightly younger (not positive, don't have access to look it up from work, only access to certain sites that aren't blocked) and has more upside than Harvin imo.
Harvin's 23 in May whereas Rice already turned 24 in September. I think it's obvious how Harvin is higher than Rice if you look at their production the last 2 years. Harvin's versatility means he can get it done even with Joe Webb, and just b/c they both have injury woes, Rice's worries are to a higher degree in that dept.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...=37326&pg=1

F&L's WRs rankings are out. Really can't argue with any of it.
Colston is really low. He is going to soon be this decade's version of Hines Ward.
He is low -- by design. It's just a matter of preference. I won't quibble with Colston's production or his ability to excel despite constant injuries. I just don't like my nucleus players to average a knee surgery per year.I don't see the comparison to Ward at all. They're night and day as receivers.

Sidney Rice is a similar situation. There's no question that he's a top-15 talent. I just don't know if I can count on him for more than 10 games a year. He's been in the league four years now, and he's been useless for three of them.

Fear & Loathing said:
culdeus said:
Steed said:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/...=37326&pg=1

F&L's WRs rankings are out. Really can't argue with any of it.
Colston is really low. He is going to soon be this decade's version of Hines Ward.
He is low -- by design. It's just a matter of preference. I won't quibble with Colston's production or his ability to excel despite constant injuries. I just don't like my nucleus players to average a knee surgery per year.I don't see the comparison to Ward at all. They're night and day as receivers.

Sidney Rice is a similar situation. There's no question that he's a top-15 talent. I just don't know if I can count on him for more than 10 games a year. He's been in the league four years now, and he's been useless for three of them.
I guess. I see Colston as a pretty damn consistent 1000/8/80 type WR that is valued well below that production level. He also is one of the few guys in the WR2 tier that can be counted on to provide multiple big games. The injury thing is just something that has to be dealt with for most any players. I just have a different WR philosophy than most I guess. I see guys year in and year out having big year, getting pumped up and evaporating. Edwards, Hoosh, Smith, Austin and so on. Seems like every year someone flashes big and flames out and it costs a huge pick as a result. Guys like Colston you can take super late and get good value. There aren't that many WR like that now.

The injury thing is just something that has to be dealt with for most any players.
Most any players don't have a handful of knee surgeries, including microfracture. I'm less interested in past performance and more interested in future performance. Colston's knees give me the creeps. I can't think of another receiver in NFL history with an injury history like his.

The injury thing is just something that has to be dealt with for most any players.
Most any players don't have a handful of knee surgeries, including microfracture. I'm less interested in past performance and more interested in future performance. Colston's knees give me the creeps. I can't think of another receiver in NFL history with an injury history like his.
What do you think this does to Danario's upside? A 41 ranking for him isn't super high, but it's high. I generally agree and am trying to buy low on Danario. But let's say he has a breakthrough year in 2011 - the risk of continued success is still substantial.

What do you think this does to Danario's upside? A 41 ranking for him isn't super high, but it's high. I generally agree and am trying to buy low on Danario. But let's say he has a breakthrough year in 2011 - the risk of continued success is still substantial.
I'm intrigued by his upside, but I realize his floor is awfully low, too, because of the knee surgeries. Philosophically, I'd rather have a guy who has some chance to be a difference-maker -- even if it's only for 6 or 8 games a year -- versus a low upside WR3 type. I don't think his hit rate is particularly high, but if he does hit he could pay off in a big way.

Let's talk about Gresham. With the news that Jay Gruden will be installing a new offense, a version of the short-passing game WCO, is it possible that that, combined with Palmer's weaker arm (post-injury), could mean he's in for a huge couple of years?

Ocho's leaving, T.O.'s leaving, Benson's a question mark....I just don't see how they WOULDN'T build this offense around Palmer and Gresham. Unless Green falls to them.

So how does everybody have Gresham ranked? I've got him right outside the top ten. I think he's got the potential, barring injury, to have a great career.

Let's talk about Gresham. With the news that Jay Gruden will be installing a new offense, a version of the short-passing game WCO, is it possible that that, combined with Palmer's weaker arm (post-injury), could mean he's in for a huge couple of years?
F&L posted TE Rankings over the weekend. Has him ranked #16 sandwiched between the boring vet pair of Cooley and Winslow and below Cook, Pettigrew, Marcedes Lewis, and Keller. He says:
Gresham benefited from Carson Palmer's checkdown tendencies, but the majority of his rookie-year production came in garbage time with the Bengals in hurry-up mode. …
I think that's a little low. Maybe you could argue a lot of Cincy's pass offense overall came in garbage time, but I don't know the specific stats he's going off of. 52/471/4 for a rookie TE would be exciting most years, only issue is 3 other guys had similar breakout first years last year. Otherwise he'd have much more cache. I think it's a pick em between him and Cook, Pettigrew, Lewis and Keller, and I think he has a higher floor than all of them except maybe Keller, and as high a ceiling.

Based on F&L's rankings I think the buys right now are Daniels and ZMiller. I think they'll valued closer to Winslow/Cooley/Lewis but will deliver closer to Clark/Witten.

Another interesting buy is Celek. F&L says:

Celek is an interesting buy coming off a down season, but he's not going to reach the heights of 2009 with Michael Vick at QB
I would add that if the Eagles draft or sign a RT (8 out of 10 mock drafts have them getting Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin), it's going to open up Celek a lot more. Vick is of course left handed, and the Eagles had to help out a lot to cover the below par RTs they had when the switched.

I could see why he could be ranked below Cooley, Pettigrew, and maybe Keller. I'd rank him above Winslow, Lewis, and Cook for sure though.

And I agree that Celek could be a good buy-low, though I'd be much happier (as a Celek owner or pursuer) if Kolb was staying at the helm there. As it is, I think wherever Kolb goes, the starting TE automatically get's a bump up. Same for wherever Gabbert goes in the draft.

I don't know, when a guy like Palmer says publically that he will retire if he's not traded, I take that very seriously. He's not taken a public stand in prior years, and in fact chided 85 when he did. So, I would not give strong consideration to Palmer. In any event, I don't think Palmer has ever used a TE as extensively as other QBs. So, it actually could help Gresham if a younger QB leads that team; my completely unfounded belief is younger QBs target TEs more frequently when their 1st read fizzles.

I don't know, when a guy like Palmer says publically that he will retire if he's not traded, I take that very seriously. He's not taken a public stand in prior years, and in fact chided 85 when he did. So, I would not give strong consideration to Palmer. In any event, I don't think Palmer has ever used a TE as extensively as other QBs. So, it actually could help Gresham if a younger QB leads that team; my completely unfounded belief is younger QBs target TEs more frequently when their 1st read fizzles.
Agreed with most of this, except that I think the lack of TE-use was more due to the offense, and the lack of a good TE on that team, rather than due to Palmer. But a young QB would also increase Gresham's value there, that's for sure. I just haven't seen much speculation that Palmer will actually be gone, whether traded or retired. I thought that had calmed down recently.

F&L posted TE Rankings over the weekend. Has him ranked #16 sandwiched between the boring vet pair of Cooley and Winslow and below Cook, Pettigrew, Marcedes Lewis, and Keller. He says:
Gresham benefited from Carson Palmer's checkdown tendencies, but the majority of his rookie-year production came in garbage time with the Bengals in hurry-up mode. …
I think that's a little low. Maybe you could argue a lot of Cincy's pass offense overall came in garbage time, but I don't know the specific stats he's going off of. 52/471/4 for a rookie TE would be exciting most years, only issue is 3 other guys had similar breakout first years last year. Otherwise he'd have much more cache. I think it's a pick em between him and Cook, Pettigrew, Lewis and Keller, and I think he has a higher floor than all of them except maybe Keller, and as high a ceiling.

Based on F&L's rankings I think the buys right now are Daniels and ZMiller. I think they'll valued closer to Winslow/Cooley/Lewis but will deliver closer to Clark/Witten.

Another interesting buy is Celek. F&L says:

Celek is an interesting buy coming off a down season, but he's not going to reach the heights of 2009 with Michael Vick at QB
I would add that if the Eagles draft or sign a RT (8 out of 10 mock drafts have them getting Gabe Carimi of Wisconsin), it's going to open up Celek a lot more. Vick is of course left handed, and the Eagles had to help out a lot to cover the below par RTs they had when the switched.
On Twitter, I went to the mat for Vernon Davis over Jason Witten. I don't have any problem with the suggestion that Gresham should be higher, though.Ultimately, like most Dynasty rankings, it comes to contender vs. builder. If I'm contending, I'm going to prefer Cooley who -- probably to the surprise of most -- actually was second among all tight ends in receptions (77) and third in yards (849) last year. Same thing with Marcedes Lewis ... as long as it's standard scoring and not PPR. I could see dropping Pettigrew a couple of spots, considering his splits with Stafford vs. Hill.

I agree that Daniels and Miller are great trade targets this offseason. I traded for Daniels in both of my main leagues early last season, and he's going to enter 2011 as my starting TE.

I really believe that when things shake out the 2010 TE class will be an historic class, similar to the 2008 RBs. To have three elite TEs (the GRs) come out in the same year would be unprecedented.

I like the class as well, although I'm not totally sold on Gronkowski despite his awesome rookie stats. He just doesn't look that athletic to me. I'm almost tempted to say that I prefer Moeaki long term.

I like the class as well, although I'm not totally sold on Gronkowski despite his awesome rookie stats. He just doesn't look that athletic to me. I'm almost tempted to say that I prefer Moeaki long term.
He's more of an "old school" TE than the "WR-TE hybrid" types like Hernandez, Keller and Clark, but he' plenty athletic enough to be a successful Brady target. He can get open, run reasonably well after the catch and is a big strong target that uses his body well (making him an ideal red-zone target).

Now that we're past the combine, where do people slot the top rookies in overall rankings?

Here's what I was thinking, based on F&L's rankings

QB

16.5 Newton

24.5 Gabbert

WR

11.49 Julio

11.5 Green

24.49 Baldwin

24.5 Hankerson

33.5 Young

RB

10.5 Ingram

14.5 Leshoure

41.5 about 8 guys tied (Williams, Hunter, Murray, Carter, Helu, Lewis, Thomas, Vereen)

TE

18.5 Rudolph

Now that we're past the combine, where do people slot the top rookies in overall rankings?Here's what I was thinking, based on F&L's rankingsQB16.5 Newton24.5 GabbertWR11.49 Julio11.5 Green24.49 Baldwin24.5 Hankerson33.5 YoungRB10.5 Ingram14.5 Leshoure41.5 about 8 guys tied (Williams, Hunter, Murray, Carter, Helu, Lewis, Thomas, Vereen)TE18.5 Rudolph
You're telling me Julio Jones and AJ Green come into the league as the 11th and 12th best dynasty wideouts?

Now that we're past the combine, where do people slot the top rookies in overall rankings?Here's what I was thinking, based on F&L's rankingsQB16.5 Newton24.5 GabbertWR11.49 Julio11.5 Green24.49 Baldwin24.5 Hankerson33.5 YoungRB10.5 Ingram14.5 Leshoure41.5 about 8 guys tied (Williams, Hunter, Murray, Carter, Helu, Lewis, Thomas, Vereen)TE18.5 Rudolph
You're telling me Julio Jones and AJ Green come into the league as the 11th and 12th best dynasty wideouts?
I think they're both tremendous talents that will do well, but I kind of agree that with the plethora of talent at the wideout position, it's tough to put those guys that high sight unseen. I know those that snooze, lose in a dynasty format but I just think there's so much safer talent with similiar upside in that range (Bowe, Austin, Britt, Crabtree, Welker, Wallace, Holmes, TB M. Williams, etc. that's its a real risk putting those guys in the WR1 mix already.

Do any of the other QBs or other TEs even crack the top 30-40ish right now? Specifically combine warrior Virgil Green?

TE and QB really depend on landing spot. If there are really established guys in front of them, it could really limit their production and opportunity for a number of years.

I think they're both tremendous talents that will do well, but I kind of agree that with the plethora of talent at the wideout position, it's tough to put those guys that high sight unseen. I know those that snooze, lose in a dynasty format but I just think there's so much safer talent with similiar upside in that range (Bowe, Austin, Britt, Crabtree, Welker, Wallace, Holmes, TB M. Williams, etc. that's its a real risk putting those guys in the WR1 mix already.
Austin and Wallace are already a tier ahead according to F&L's rankings.I would put Britt slightly ahead and that's why I'd slot them at 12 and 13 (F&L has Britt #11).

This is a tangent, but F&L seems low on Mike Williams based on his ranking and comment. I would rather have Williams, but it's close.

Crabtree carries just as much risk as Julio and Green. He is essentially just as unproven. It is likely his QB situation will not be any better than Julio or Green's and could be much worse (Smith/Josh J. vs. Bradford).

Bowe is an enigma and hard to rank. I am biased against him, but would still find it hard to move him for the pick.

I'm saying these guys - Britt, Williams, Bowe, Crabtree - are in the same tier as the two rookies, so we can't quivel over slight differences in rankings. If you think they're a different tier that's another discussion.

There's no way you can put Welker ahead of these guys even in PPR. I know some people are Holmes fetishists but I wouldn't put him in that tier either because his upside is much lower. I would put Welker and Holmes in a lower tier.

FWIW, Dez was ranked #9 by F&L immediately after the draft last year, ahead of Greg Jennings and a bunch of other guys.

Austin and Wallace are already a tier ahead according to F&L's rankings.I would put Britt slightly ahead and that's why I'd slot them at 12 and 13 (F&L has Britt #11).

This is a tangent, but F&L seems low on Mike Williams based on his ranking and comment. I would rather have Williams, but it's close.

Crabtree carries just as much risk as Julio and Green. He is essentially just as unproven. It is likely his QB situation will not be any better than Julio or Green's and could be much worse (Smith/Josh J. vs. Bradford).

Bowe is an enigma and hard to rank. I am biased against him, but would still find it hard to move him for the pick.

I'm saying these guys - Britt, Williams, Bowe, Crabtree - are in the same tier as the two rookies, so we can't quivel over slight differences in rankings. If you think they're a different tier that's another discussion.

There's no way you can put Welker ahead of these guys even in PPR. I know some people are Holmes fetishists but I wouldn't put him in that tier either because his upside is much lower. I would put Welker and Holmes in a lower tier.

FWIW, Dez was ranked #9 by F&L immediately after the draft last year, ahead of Greg Jennings and a bunch of other guys.
This reminds me of that skit from Sesame Street where one kid is doing his own thing and doesnt quite belong with the other 3.

I do agree however that Jones and Green should be considered top15 WR prospects right now. They are probably the best pair of WR's to come out since Charles Rodgers and Andre Johnson.

I think it's foolish to hold rookie drafts before the NFL draft. How do you value a player with any degree of accuracy if you don't even know the context? It's an exercise in futility. I think you have them slightly overvalued right now. But again, it's essentially meaningless until we know their NFL destination.Anyway, I do like A.J. Green a lot. Jones' Combine performance was awesome. But I don't like either of them nearly as much as I liked Dez Bryant at this time last year.

Re: Mike Williams. I was actually sky-high on him in redraft formats last offseason and into the summer. I appreciate his talent as well as his situation. Considering his volatile history and the tendency to overvalue great statistical rookie seasons, though, I'm not going go overboard and rank him as a top-10 WR in Dynasty leagues.

Pro Football Focus' @PFF_MikeClay had an interesting blurb on Williams recently:

"Williams has a bright future in Tampa Bay, but he’s not a good play as your WR2 in 2011. Josh Freeman targeted Williams a whopping 27% of the time in 2010 and, if NFL historical data is any indicator, that number will drop at least slightly in 2011. Williams was Freeman’s favorite target, sure, but keep in mind that Tight End Kellen Winslow also saw 20% of the targets and is back in 2011. Additionally, fellow 2010 rookie WR Arrelious Benn was beginning to eat into Williams’ targets before going down with a season-ending injury late in the year. Assuming the Bucs spread the ball around a little bit more than Williams’ ridiculous 17.2% TD rate sees some regression, Williams will be more of a WR3 than WR2."

I think it's foolish to hold rookie drafts before the NFL draft. How do you value a player with any degree of accuracy if you don't even know the context?
I'm not picking now, but I am trading for picks, moving up and down, etc. It's better to move a player for a pick or move up now than when hype trains are in full effect and guys are OTC.

I think it's foolish to hold rookie drafts before the NFL draft. How do you value a player with any degree of accuracy if you don't even know the context?
As I understand it the idea is that it helps separate folks who are good at reading news clips and evaluating situation from folks who are better at IDing talent without the help of the NFL draft or coach's quotes.

As I understand it the idea is that it helps separate folks who are good at reading news clips and evaluating situation from folks who are better at IDing talent without the help of the NFL draft or coach's quotes.
I'm sure that's the intention. I have no confidence that these talent evaluators are doing any better than someone who doesn't watch a quarter of college football.

I'm sure that's the intention. I have no confidence that these talent evaluators are doing any better than someone who doesn't watch a quarter of college football.
Agreed. Had a guy take Clausen 3rd overall last year because he liked going completely against the grain and ignoring what the "experts" think. I like that he went with his gut, and this is obviously an extreme example, but you have to realize that even if you REALLY want "your" guy, you can get better value than that.If he would have done a little research, and a little less "talent evaluating", he wouldn't have wasted that pick.

Agreed. Had a guy take Clausen 3rd overall last year because he liked going completely against the grain and ignoring what the "experts" think. I like that he went with his gut, and this is obviously an extreme example, but you have to realize that even if you REALLY want "your" guy, you can get better value than that.If he would have done a little research, and a little less "talent evaluating", he wouldn't have wasted that pick.
:thumbup:

Even if I agreed with you (I don't - there are people in my leagues who are consistently better at this than others) it's a lot of fun to do your own work and make your own calls. Not sure why this gets peoples backs up and sets their snark meters running.

Even if I agreed with you (I don't - there are people in my leagues who are consistently better at this than others) it's a lot of fun to do your own work and make your own calls. Not sure why this gets peoples backs up and sets their snark meters running.
I always have thought that was a defense mechanism by people who sucked at it. :shrug:

I've been in both types of leagues, but I prefer drafting after the NFL draft only because situation is such a variable otherwise. Bear in mind, most of my leagues these days are also contract leagues, and the draft position directly affects their initial salary.

I consider myself a pretty good talent evaluator and drafter, and you know what? I find I do *better* in leagues with the NFL draft, mostly because I stick to my guns on a player's talent and let others overreact to situation :)

We don't have to agree on everything. Snark meter?

I've never played in a league that has its rookie draft before the NFL draft, but there's a part of me that thinks it's a really cool idea. Adds a whole new level of interest and investment into watching the NFL draft: seeing where your new rookies end up. Hoping team X passes on him; hoping team Y picks him, etc. Has to be fun...And, as others have mentioned, it seems like a scenario that would, over time, reward the owner who was better informed/better prepared about the incoming rookie class.

I've never played in a league that has its rookie draft before the NFL draft, but there's a part of me that thinks it's a really cool idea. Adds a whole new level of interest and investment into watching the NFL draft: seeing where your new rookies end up. Hoping team X passes on him; hoping team Y picks him, etc. Has to be fun...And, as others have mentioned, it seems like a scenario that would, over time, reward the owner who was better informed/better prepared about the incoming rookie class.
We are doing something similar in our startup draft. Instead of actual players we can draft picks like rookie 1.01 and so on. Then we have the rookie draft after the NFL draft.

It is an interesting aspect. One of the leagues I play in has it. Some interesting picks from last years draft...Dwyer at 1.4 - Obviously the NFL draft made his value plummetGerhart at 1.6 - The draft killed his value as wellB. Tate at 2.3 - He was a mid 1st rounder based on being drafted by the TexansM. Williams at 3.10J. Graham at 3.11J. Starks at 3.12 - All players who's value went up big time due to hype and landing spot in most league draftsIt can be really good or really bad, but it is certainly interesting.

Not sure if this has already been discussed in this thread or not. But what's the word on Mike Thomas in Jax now that MSW is out. Is he the real deal? He seems awfully small (5'8 - 198lbs.) to be a no. 1 WR. They can't all turn into Steve Smith. Anyone have any thoughts on this guy?

I agree with all of this (and also only play in leagues that draft after NFL draft). It sounds like it could be realinteresting. The one downside though is in theory the rookie drafts should be designed to help the bad teams get better and not knowing the situation thos players will be in lessens that liklihood and also devalues the picks' trade values to a small degree.

I agree with all of this (and also only play in leagues that draft after NFL draft). It sounds like it could be realinteresting. The one downside though is in theory the rookie drafts should be designed to help the bad teams get better and not knowing the situation thos players will be in lessens that liklihood and also devalues the picks' trade values to a small degree.
I agree. I also think it promotes taking a more shotgun draft approach. ie three mid 2nd round picks may be more valuable than a mid 1st. Every pick is a crapshoot outside of the top couple, so the more picks you have the better your chances of hitting on something.

It is an interesting aspect. One of the leagues I play in has it. Some interesting picks from last years draft...Dwyer at 1.4 - Obviously the NFL draft made his value plummet
not really, the combine made his value plummet. He was fat and looked bad in all drills at the combine, after that many mocks had him dropping to the 3rd-5th round range.many people think the combine doesn't matter, but it does when a guy clearly looks bad and out of shape.

I have five 3rd round rookie picks, and took over a team bad enough last year that if I want, I'll be able to squeeze all of them onto my roster.

Should I wait for a player that I like to drop into the 2nd, and try to package a few of them to move up? Or should I take the shotgun approach and just hope that one or two of these five guys pans out? I'm leaning towards the latter approach, since guys like Starks, Blount, Royal, Graham, etc. have been taken in the third round the last couple of years.

Just looking for what some of you do and what your philosophy is for late-round picks, when you can't trade them before the draft starts. Because I know that's the ideal scenario, but I basically just keep getting people throwing in 3rd rounders at the back end of a deal to sweeten it. So here I am with all of these picks.

Users who are viewing this thread