What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (8 Viewers)

Russell Wilson's stats looked really good. I really didn't give him a chance to win the job, when he was drafted. His potential to add a couple 10+ yard scampers a game is nice too. They really add up. I will have to see more before I put him much higher than 20. But, I think he should be around there. I value him more than guys like Cassel, Palmer, Kolb, Skelton, Gabbert, off the top of my head.
How would you rank those guys against the second tier QB's from this year's draft? Right now I like Tanehill better than Wilson, and Wilson better than Weeden, but I'm starting to think Wilson might be the best of the bunch. I would definitely say Wilson has the best supporting cast right now and could shine early. Long term might be a different story.

How would you rank those guys against the second tier QB's from this year's draft? Right now I like Tanehill better than Wilson, and Wilson better than Weeden, but I'm starting to think Wilson might be the best of the bunch. I would definitely say Wilson has the best supporting cast right now and could shine early. Long term might be a different story.
I am ranking them:WilsonTanehillWeedonI was distracted during the draft process, so I didn't have strong opinions of the 3 coming into the pre-season. But, Wilson is only guy that looks like he will be able to move the ball with any consistantly this year. He has better weapons than the other 2, and is in a better situation. On top of that, I am really starting to covet guys that can move the ball on the ground. 30 yards rushing a game is equal to 75 passing in most formats, or 8 additional TDs over a season.

Looking at the last 3 years of QBs I'd have something like

Newton

Luck

RG3

Wilson

Locker

Dalton

Bradford

Tannehill

Ponder

Tebow

Gabbert

Weeden

Skelton

Mallett

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the last 3 years of QBs I'd have something likeNewtonLuckRG3WilsonLockerDalton Bradford TannehillPonderTebowGabbertWeedenSkeltonMallett
I like the list. I am not a big Dalton fan, but nobody has much claim to be ahead of him. I like the call on Wilson over Locker. I don't know that I am ready to make it yet, but accuracy issues are something I try to avoid, and Locker has them.

Realize I never posted Dynasty WR ranks before the draft in April. So here goes: 1 Calvin, 2 Julio, 3 Fitz, 4 Dez, 5 A.J. Green, 6 Nicks

Dynasty WR ranks cont’d: 7 Harvin, 8 Wallace, 9 Andre Johnson, 10 G. Jennings, 11 Roddy, 12 Britt, 13 Maclin, 14 Bowe, 15 Cruz, 16 M. Austin

Dynasty WR Ranks Cont'd: 17 Demaryius, 18 Jordy, 19 Marshall, 20 Blackmon, 21 Welker, 22 B. Lloyd, 23 Steve Smith, 24 DeSean 25 V-Jax

Dynasty WR Ranks Cont'd: 26 Stevie J, 27 Denarius, 28 R. Cobb, 29 Torrey, 30 Colston, 31 Quick, 32 Decker, 33. K. Wright, 34. Michael Floyd

Dynasty WR Ranks Cont'd: 35 Holmes, 36 S. Rice, 37 Little, 38 Garcon, 39 Ant. Brown, 40 Meachem, 41 Crabtree, 42 DHB, 43 Stephen Hill

Dynasty WR Ranks Cont'd: 44 Jeffrey, 45 Titus, 46 Collie, 47 S. Moss, 48 Wayne, 49 R. Moss, 50 Mike Williams
Wow, that is a high ranking for Cobb. Interesting.
Check out his twitter. He was pimping him pretty hard yesterday. Said that A. Brown for Cobb would be good deal for getting Cobb.
Is A-Brown for Cobb still a good deal ?

Looking at the last 3 years of QBs I'd have something likeNewtonLuckRG3WilsonLockerDalton Bradford TannehillPonderTebowGabbertWeedenSkeltonMallett
Good list. I just would like to go on record as saying that the gap between Wilson and the tier above is only about an inch or two... ;)

Russell Wilson's stats looked really good. I really didn't give him a chance to win the job, when he was drafted. His potential to add a couple 10+ yard scampers a game is nice too. They really add up. I will have to see more before I put him much higher than 20. But, I think he should be around there. I value him more than guys like Cassel, Palmer, Kolb, Skelton, Gabbert, off the top of my head.
:goodposting:Put me in the group that didn't even give him a chance of being an NFL starter before the preseason, but he's really convinced me otherwise so far. He's incredibly poised for a rookie QB, he makes good decisions the large majority of the time. He's also extremely quick and fast, his ability to sprint downfield is exceptional, he's got running back speed and he's shown he knows when to use it. I will say he's gotten lucky on WRs making outstanding plays on some of the deep balls he's thrown in the preseason so far, but at least he putting the ball in areas for them to make plays. In fantasy and in real life, I'd easily take Wilson over Tannehill, I'd put Wilson in a tier by himself after Luck/RG3, and before Weeden/Tannehill.

I am ranking them:WilsonTanehillWeedonI was distracted during the draft process, so I didn't have strong opinions of the 3 coming into the pre-season. But, Wilson is only guy that looks like he will be able to move the ball with any consistantly this year. He has better weapons than the other 2, and is in a better situation. On top of that, I am really starting to covet guys that can move the ball on the ground. 30 yards rushing a game is equal to 75 passing in most formats, or 8 additional TDs over a season.
Tannehill can move the ball with his legs, too. Guy played WR in college. Had a 1000 yard receiving season. Wilson's looked great, but at the end of the day, I still prefer the guy with the top 10 pedigree.Edit: and I want nothing to do with Weeden. He's already 28. I don't think he has much more development left in him- usually by 28 you are who you're going to be. Low upside, crummy franchise, shorter career... Pass. Give me a Foles or a Kaepernick, instead- I'd rather have a high-upside backup than a low-upside starter.

Tannehill can move the ball with his legs, too. Guy played WR in college. Had a 1000 yard receiving season. Wilson's looked great, but at the end of the day, I still prefer the guy with the top 10 pedigree.Edit: and I want nothing to do with Weeden. He's already 28. I don't think he has much more development left in him- usually by 28 you are who you're going to be. Low upside, crummy franchise, shorter career... Pass. Give me a Foles or a Kaepernick, instead- I'd rather have a high-upside backup than a low-upside starter.
Fair play. But Wilson has looked worlds better against pros, and has look to run more readily, too. I would feel pretty good about taking Wilson over Tanny, at this point.

Heck, in terms of value per cost, Pead's rookie teammate Daryl Richardson is a more interesting proposition.
Richardson looked great against the Cowboys' first team defense. Pead looked, again, pretty bad. Good call here, EBF. I think you mentioned him before his pre-season success.
Not exactly. He caught my attention when I was looking for sleeper picks after the draft, but I waited until after his week 2 preseason showing to actually pick him up in any leagues. IIRC he was injured for the start of camp, so the news on him was sparse at first.I'm not going to predict a superstar career for him, but there are some variables working in his favor. Jackson has more mileage than any RB in the NFL at this point. I think he will break down in the near future. I've never been high on Pead and his wretched preseason performances haven't changed my mind at all. Richardson is the next man in line and, judging by his usage in the most recent game, might actually have a chance to pass Pead on the depth chart immediately. He's a bit of a freak athlete, with a 40" vertical leap and 11'3" broad jump that compare pretty favorably with any RB in the league. The negatives are that he's undersized with a history of minor durability issues and only mediocre college production. I'd say the most likely outcome for his career is that he won't ever amount to anything significant, but given that he has some sneaky upside and that he's probably still on waivers in a lot of leagues, I'd say he warrants a roster spot if he's available.

Tannehill can move the ball with his legs, too. Guy played WR in college. Had a 1000 yard receiving season. Wilson's looked great, but at the end of the day, I still prefer the guy with the top 10 pedigree.
Wilson has looked great back to his freshman year at NCSU. We known since April that Wilson got Flutie'd so it's time to make an exception for him. Blaine Gabbert has a top 10 pedigree and that means nada at this point. Tannehill is a project. Locker without the arm or the weapons. There's potential but if someone offered me Wilson straight up, I don't think you can turn it down at this point. In 1 year, the best case for Tannehill is Locker. Still intrigued. Still see the upside. Worst case is bust. Looks more skittish against real defense. Struggles to top 50% completion. Few if any wins. Best case for Wilson is top 10 dynasty QB. Worst case is Dalton. Good chance to be a long term NFL starter. Some downside and questions.

Blaine Gabbert has a top 10 pedigree and that means nada at this point.
I probably agree with your take on Wilson and Tannehill, but I think you are a little off the mark here.Where a prospect was drafted is relevant when he's still finding his feet in the league.Look at a guy like Eli Manning. If you had judged him solely on his performance, you would've written him off as a complete bust after his rookie year. He was absolutely horrible. But the fact that he was Eli Manning and the former #1 overall pick suggested that he had a lot of talent despite his early struggles.I think similar logic offers reason to be optimistic about guys like Locker, Gabbert, and Tannehill, though I'm not personally very high on that trio. These three fall into the category of underachieving college QBs who were overdrafted for their physical tools, which is a type of QB that I try to avoid. All else being equal, I tend to favor guys like Luck, Griffin, Bradford, Foles, Mallett, and Wilson, who not only have good draft positions, but who also produced great results on the field in college.

Tannehill can move the ball with his legs, too. Guy played WR in college. Had a 1000 yard receiving season. Wilson's looked great, but at the end of the day, I still prefer the guy with the top 10 pedigree.
Wilson has looked great back to his freshman year at NCSU. We known since April that Wilson got Flutie'd so it's time to make an exception for him.
I tend to agree with this. I think draft pedigree is somewhat mitigated when there is a clear bias that caused draft position to slide.I think some teams are already kicking themselves for not taking Wilson. Think about Miami or Cleveland using the Tannehill/Weeden picks on someone else and using their third rounder on Wilson, for example... it appears they would have come out well ahead.

'Just Win Baby said:
'thriftyrocker said:
'SSOG said:
Wilson has looked great back to his freshman year at NCSU. We known since April that Wilson got Flutie'd so it's time to make an exception for him.
I tend to agree with this. I think draft pedigree is somewhat mitigated when there is a clear bias that caused draft position to slide.I think some teams are already kicking themselves for not taking Wilson. Think about Miami or Cleveland using the Tannehill/Weeden picks on someone else and using their third rounder on Wilson, for example... it appears they would have come out well ahead.
I think a couple of preseason games is too small of a sample size to know that.

'Just Win Baby said:
'thriftyrocker said:
'SSOG said:
I think a couple of preseason games is too small of a sample size to know that.
Too early to judge Tannehill, sure. But I think there is very good reason for increased optimism towards Wilson. I have no doubt that he would be drafted higher, if the draft were re-held today. The initial reaction to NFL competition is something I would think is very valuable. The fact that Wilson was not intimidated and looked like he belongs says a lot.

Chris Weinke in Cleveland should be fun to watch.

But ya know they sure got a lotta picks for Julio Jones!!! :rolleyes:

That pick was more idiotic than the Cards paying Kolb. At least Kolb signing accomplished something (got Fitz to resign).

Chris Weinke in Cleveland should be fun to watch.But ya know they sure got a lotta picks for Julio Jones!!! :rolleyes:That pick was more idiotic than the Cards paying Kolb. At least Kolb signing accomplished something (got Fitz to resign).
I don't know how a team can be convinced to draft a 28 year old 2nd tier QB prospect in the 1st round. Especially a team as far away as Cleveland.

Chris Weinke in Cleveland should be fun to watch.But ya know they sure got a lotta picks for Julio Jones!!! :rolleyes:That pick was more idiotic than the Cards paying Kolb. At least Kolb signing accomplished something (got Fitz to resign).
I don't know how a team can be convinced to draft a 28 year old 2nd tier QB prospect in the 1st round. Especially a team as far away as Cleveland.
Desperation (after missing on RG3).Despite their non-sense that they weren't interested in RG3 (total bull#### that came out after they MISSED on RG3), they were all in there. Washington just outdid them.28 year old rookie QB in the 1st round. Un####ingbelievable. He'll make typical rookie mistakes this year. Then you're left saying next year 'well we got our now 29 year old developmental QB. Let's hope he continues to progress in 2013.'Again, they gave up Julio Jones for this 95 year old Weeden clown, Greg Little & I'm sure someone else can chime in with what else. I'll take the future All-Pro stud at WR that already looks like one of the league's best.

So...Larry Fitzgerald?

He's a player I'm struggling to value for dynasty. Everything suggests he should be a top 5 WR but after owning him last year Sundays stat line brought me back to reality.

He's obviously a fantastic talent but he's getting older and I'm wondering if he'll ever get the QB he deserves.

So...Larry Fitzgerald?He's a player I'm struggling to value for dynasty. Everything suggests he should be a top 5 WR but after owning him last year Sundays stat line brought me back to reality.He's obviously a fantastic talent but he's getting older and I'm wondering if he'll ever get the QB he deserves.
Stay calm. Stay the course. One mediocre (not even bad) game with those clowns at QB does not erase one top 5 season with those clowns at QB. He may be getting older, but he's still on the right side of 30. If he's still not producing after 4-6 weeks, then it's time to reevaluate.

So...Larry Fitzgerald?He's a player I'm struggling to value for dynasty. Everything suggests he should be a top 5 WR but after owning him last year Sundays stat line brought me back to reality.He's obviously a fantastic talent but he's getting older and I'm wondering if he'll ever get the QB he deserves.
I personally don't value him as top 5 anymore - recent realization. I got an offer of my Cruz and 1st, for his Fitz. I realized that I liked Cruz more, straight up. I think he is right outside of the top 5, but would even take a younger, less proven and productive Dez Bryant over Fitz, in a vacuum. I am a big believer in maximizing career VBD, and Fitz's age is officially on the wrong side of the baseline. Couple that with 1-2 more years of the Cards finding an solid QB - it's time to move on, in my opinion.

How high do we anticipate Ridley jumping in RB rankings if he continues to be the workhorse? Should we trust that he remains in that spot?
He is likely top 12, right now. I personally don't trust it, yet. I like Ridley and think he is fully capable of being the guy for the Patriots. I just don't trust the Patriots, yet. If Vereen never amounts to a legit threat, I think someone eventually will. I think they drafted Vereen and Ridley so close together, thinking they would both have roles; is see that coming to fruition. As an owner, I am looking to ride him for the near future - potentially even this season - but will eventually be looking to sell.

Anybody have the scoop on Ronnie Hillman? I am tempted to buy low, with him not seeing any action. Is there any reason to believe he doesn't get a solid look at the starting gig next season?

I haven't been following the Hillman situation because I don't own him in any leagues. With McGahee and Moreno both playing ahead of him, it doesn't seem like he's done much to inspire confidence. I would take a late flyer on him, but nothing more.

'EBF said:
I haven't been following the Hillman situation because I don't own him in any leagues. With McGahee and Moreno both playing ahead of him, it doesn't seem like he's done much to inspire confidence. I would take a late flyer on him, but nothing more.
Thanks, EBF. Maybe I'll wait 6 weeks to offer. I just worry that injury will cause him to be in the mix, and it will be too late. But you're right - that's not a good sign.

I think Hillman is a great buy-low right now. He was never going to see the field this early with Peyton at QB, with his pass-blocking deficiency. The hype around him for this season was always misplaced, but that doesn't hurt his long-term value.

Im trying to move Broyles+2013 3rd for him.

Along with hillman, how does everyone value Miller?

What about Mr. Chris Johnson.

I am tempted to buy low. But with such a superb o-line, will he ever bounce back? Mistakes from the line, hesitant to hit the wholes hard.

Any comparison in the past of such awesomeness and downfall?

'yanos said:
What about Mr. Chris Johnson.I am tempted to buy low. But with such a superb o-line, will he ever bounce back? Mistakes from the line, hesitant to hit the wholes hard.Any comparison in the past of such awesomeness and downfall?
I want nothing to do with Johnson. But this is certainly the time to buy. You have to think he turns it around at some point.

Is Daryl Richardson actually the Richardson to own? His situation is fantastic. His coach is a proven "rushing" guy. He's behind an old warhorse tons of mileage. He's got a young solid supporting cast in Bradford and Amendola, not to mention Quick and Givens. Props to EBF for turning me on to him in the other thread.

Trent is the Richardson to own. I don't think there's a dynasty back I'd rather have on my team.

Daryl has done really well though and has far exceeded my expectations. His value is skyrocketing. Last week nobody knew who he was. This week I've had 4 or 5 different owners send me lowball offers for him. If he keeps excelling, his value will only keep climbing.

There's a lot to like here. His coach obviously rates him pretty highly. He has some rare physical qualities. He's been productive at almost every opportunity. And perhaps most importantly, he just looks like he belongs. Explosive and instinctive with deceptive strength. I don't think he has ideal bulk to be a full time workhorse back, but I could see him becoming something like Warrick Dunn or Jamaal Charles. I've got him in every dynasty league I'm in and I plan on holding for now. Jackson isn't getting any younger and Richardson is way ahead of Pead right now. He could be a weekly option in FF pretty soon.

Trent is the Richardson to own. I don't think there's a dynasty back I'd rather have on my team.Daryl has done really well though and has far exceeded my expectations. His value is skyrocketing. Last week nobody knew who he was. This week I've had 4 or 5 different owners send me lowball offers for him. If he keeps excelling, his value will only keep climbing. There's a lot to like here. His coach obviously rates him pretty highly. He has some rare physical qualities. He's been productive at almost every opportunity. And perhaps most importantly, he just looks like he belongs. Explosive and instinctive with deceptive strength. I don't think he has ideal bulk to be a full time workhorse back, but I could see him becoming something like Warrick Dunn or Jamaal Charles. I've got him in every dynasty league I'm in and I plan on holding for now. Jackson isn't getting any younger and Richardson is way ahead of Pead right now. He could be a weekly option in FF pretty soon.
:goodposting: I like DR's long term possibilities in St. Louis. Trent is still much more talented - but Daryl is no slouch and should be a starting RB in he NFL sooner than some people think.

Misc thoughts:

- Seems like there's a pretty clear group of elite dynasty QBs. Rodgers is ahead of the pack. Then Luck, Newton, Griffin, and Stafford in some order. If you can trade a Brady/Brees for any one of these guys, I'd do it unless I was near certain that keeping the vet would put me over the top as the title favorite this year. There's just a lot more upside with the younger guys at this point. I especially like Luck and Newton. Newton's stock has cooled off, but he is actually still leading all NFL QBs in yards per attempt. Just needs to cut back on the INTs. Now could be a good buy low window. I like Griffin a lot, but his stock is so hot that he's basically untouchable. That makes him a bad trade target IMO. If he cools down and comes back to Earth (which it looks like he might), there could be a better buying window later in the season. As for Stafford, I've never been totally convinced that he isn't just Jay Cutler with Calvin Johnson and a better attitude, but there's enough upside/value to justify the risk as QB5.

- Some good QB buy targets: Foles, Kaepernick, Wilson. Wilson is already starting. Foles could be next season. Kaepernick is a little less valuable, but figures to get a shot eventually. He looks like he has improved from last year and Harbaugh knows a thing or two about talent.

- Demaryius Thomas and Dez Bryant are two good targets at WR. I think they each have top 5-6 type of value at this position with ceilings as high as almost anyone. Problem is, most of their owners value them accordingly, making them very difficult to pry away.

- Some more realistic WR buy targets: Michael Floyd, Jonathan Baldwin, Rueben Randle, and AJ Jenkins. The first two are first round talents with prototypical #1 WR height and strength. The other two are long term holds with good upside for 2-3 years down the line. Not guys you really want to be burdened with in shallow leagues, but definitely guys who fit long term rebuilding projects in deep leagues. TJ Graham is also looking like a pretty decent prospect and he actually has an easier path to a starting job than Randle or Jenkins.

- Trent Richardson is my #1 dynasty back. I'd say buy, but really...who's gonna sell?

- Some RBs who offer good potential at a lower cost: Rashard Mendenhall, Bernard Pierce, Daryl Richardson. When you consider how high people were taking other knee injury victims like Peterson and Charles this offseason, Mendenhall is a great value. Now that Dwyer and Redman have failed to impress, it seems like he has the inside track to regain his job and make a big case for a nice contract to be the starter in Pittsburgh or elsewhere next season. As for the two rooks, Richardson has been a little bit of a revelation. I grabbed him as a flyer in a ton of leagues, and have been pleasantly surprised by how good he looks. If Pead was putting up the same numbers and looking this good, owners would be holding on for dear life. But because Richardson was an unheralded draft prospect, he's still flying under the radar. As for Pierce, he looks like a starting caliber talent. He's stuck on a 4 year contract behind Ray Rice, but anything can happen with injuries/trades, and he's young enough to ride out his initial deal and emerge as a starter elsewhere ala Michael Turner. A great roster stash in deeper leagues.

- Time to sell Arian Foster. Widely perceived as an elite player despite his YPC dropping each of the last two years. 26 years old. This might be your last opportunity to cash him in for top value. If you drop out of contention, I would also think about moving Peterson and MJD. Great players, but lots of tread already off the tire. Name brand recognition should ensure that you still get decent value when you send them packing.

Misc thoughts:- Seems like there's a pretty clear group of elite dynasty QBs. Rodgers is ahead of the pack. Then Luck, Newton, Griffin, and Stafford in some order. If you can trade a Brady/Brees for any one of these guys, I'd do it unless I was near certain that keeping the vet would put me over the top as the title favorite this year. There's just a lot more upside with the younger guys at this point. I especially like Luck and Newton. Newton's stock has cooled off, but he is actually still leading all NFL QBs in yards per attempt. Just needs to cut back on the INTs. Now could be a good buy low window. I like Griffin a lot, but his stock is so hot that he's basically untouchable. That makes him a bad trade target IMO. If he cools down and comes back to Earth (which it looks like he might), there could be a better buying window later in the season. As for Stafford, I've never been totally convinced that he isn't just Jay Cutler with Calvin Johnson and a better attitude, but there's enough upside/value to justify the risk as QB5. - Some good QB buy targets: Foles, Kaepernick, Wilson. Wilson is already starting. Foles could be next season. Kaepernick is a little less valuable, but figures to get a shot eventually. He looks like he has improved from last year and Harbaugh knows a thing or two about talent.
Your QB discussion was missing someone I was sure you were going touch on: Matt Ryan. IMHO, he might be finally taking that step from "very good" to "elite" FF territory - with the aid of the new offense - and he's still only 27. The offense, since incorporating the no huddle and faster style seems to really be hitting it's stride. Right now he has the best QB rating of all the starters in the league and his TD/INT ratio is 8/1. He's completing 72% of his passes, despite a decent 7.4 yards/attempt. He's even running a little bit. While it's only been 3 weeks, it seem like the proverbial light bulb has come on - or perhaps it's always been on, but the old OC kept a shade on it. Thoughts on Ryan? Honestly, I would at least have him even with Stafford.

Misc thoughts:- Seems like there's a pretty clear group of elite dynasty QBs. Rodgers is ahead of the pack. Then Luck, Newton, Griffin, and Stafford in some order. If you can trade a Brady/Brees for any one of these guys, I'd do it unless I was near certain that keeping the vet would put me over the top as the title favorite this year. There's just a lot more upside with the younger guys at this point. I especially like Luck and Newton. Newton's stock has cooled off, but he is actually still leading all NFL QBs in yards per attempt. Just needs to cut back on the INTs. Now could be a good buy low window. I like Griffin a lot, but his stock is so hot that he's basically untouchable. That makes him a bad trade target IMO. If he cools down and comes back to Earth (which it looks like he might), there could be a better buying window later in the season. As for Stafford, I've never been totally convinced that he isn't just Jay Cutler with Calvin Johnson and a better attitude, but there's enough upside/value to justify the risk as QB5. - Some good QB buy targets: Foles, Kaepernick, Wilson. Wilson is already starting. Foles could be next season. Kaepernick is a little less valuable, but figures to get a shot eventually. He looks like he has improved from last year and Harbaugh knows a thing or two about talent.
Your QB discussion was missing someone I was sure you were going touch on: Matt Ryan. IMHO, he might be finally taking that step from "very good" to "elite" FF territory - with the aid of the new offense - and he's still only 27. The offense, since incorporating the no huddle and faster style seems to really be hitting it's stride. Right now he has the best QB rating of all the starters in the league and his TD/INT ratio is 8/1. He's completing 72% of his passes, despite a decent 7.4 yards/attempt. He's even running a little bit. While it's only been 3 weeks, it seem like the proverbial light bulb has come on - or perhaps it's always been on, but the old OC kept a shade on it. Thoughts on Ryan? Honestly, I would at least have him even with Stafford.
I would have him slightly behind Stafford for 3 reasons, Detroit has a horrible defense, Detroit can't run the ball (Please don't give me the Leshoure had 100 yards last week, he needed 26 carries and the Titans defense is horrible), and he is 3 years younger. However, if Detroit continues to try to run, and Stafford has 3 or 4 sub par games, while Ryan keeps doing what he is doing I will have Ryan higher than Stafford.

I expected great things from Ryan after his amazing rookie year, but he never really took the next step. He has never exceeded, let alone matched his rookie yards per throw average of 7.9. His completion percentage has hovered around 61% every year until now. His FF production has been great, but I'm not really convinced that he's arrived as a truly elite NFL QB.

For starters, he's throwing the ball a lot. As of tonight he has 107 pass attempts in three games for an average of roughly 36 passes per game. If you project his numbers out to a full 16 game season, you'd get 570 pass attempts, which would've been good for 6th among all NFL QBs last season. Is it a bad thing that he's throwing a lot? No, but what it means is that his value is derived from usage as much as from his effectiveness. For dynasty purposes, I would be more comfortable with a player with a high YPA and relatively low total number of attempts than a player who passes a ton, but isn't especially effective with those throws. It's the same reason why I argued Newton over Stafford after last season. Stafford was great because he threw the ball a lot. More than any other QB in the league. But in terms of his effectiveness per throw, he was less spectacular. Only 7.6 yards per toss compared to 7.8 for the rookie Newton and much higher figures for the elite vets like Brady, Brees, and Rodgers.

Ryan is in a similar position. His stats look great on the surface, but when you dig deeper, they're less impressive. 8 TDs is great, but possibly flukish. TD totals are erratic and highly prone to variance. 7.41 yards per attempt is not so great. 72% completions is phenomenal. So phenomenal that it's probably unsustainable. Brees was the only NFL QB who sniffed that mark last year. My hunch is that Ryan's average will drop slightly. If his TD totals and completion percentage regress (quite likely, IMO) and his yards per attempt stays about the same (also quite likely, given his history), his numbers will slip a bit. Even if he manages to sustain this pace for an entire season, there are other reasons why I would be reluctant to rate him as an elite dynasty QB. The main one involves his situation and supporting cast.

Ryan benefits from having a loaded arsenal featuring three Pro Bowl caliber weapons: Jones, White, and Gonzalez. The problem from a dynasty perspective is that White and Gonzalez are on the backslope of their careers. Atlanta will eventually make some effort to replace them, but it will be difficult to find two players of this caliber in free agency or the draft. Without those weapons, Ryan will become more predictable and more reliant on Jones.

The second factor is the running game. It's no secret that Michael Turner is starting to slip. His YPC average has dropped almost a full yard from 4.5 in 2011 to 3.7 in 2012. This is significant because as the running game has become less effective, the Falcons have compensated by running less and throwing more. It's not a huge difference, but if you look at the number of rushing attempts by Turner/Rodgers/Snelling, you'll see that Atlanta is not running the ball as much as they did last season.

2011 - 25.1 attempts per game

2012 - 22.0 attempts per game

Not a huge difference, but perhaps enough to make an impact. The pass/run ratio has skewed in favor of throwing the ball. I don't expect that to change much this year, but I would expect it to change in future seasons when the Falcons find an adequate replacement for Turner, which will be easier than replacing White/Gonzalez IMO.

To put this whole mess together...

- Ryan's value derives from his high number of pass attempts. This should remain high (it was also high last year), but could slip in future seasons if the Falcons fix their RB situation.

- Ryan's redraft performance looks great because of the TDs, which are unpredictable and will be hard to sustain.

- Ryan will probably suffer when Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez start to slip.

- On a per throw basis, Ryan has not been an elite quarterback. He has been merely good, not great. Despite his uptick in FF points this season, his yards per attempt has more or less remained level, which could suggest that he's basically the same guy he has always been.

He's a good, solid QB1 for teams that pass on the top shelf guys. I wouldn't mind having him as my starter for the next few years, but at the same time I'm not yet convinced that he's going to be a player who gives you any advantage over the average starter in your league. I would not give up Rodgers or Newton for him, and would rather gamble on the upside of Luck or RG3 as well.

A few random thoughts of my own:

Newton will remain my QB1, over RG3, until RG3 learns how to avoid big hits. Griffin has better passing touch, and is much faster, which gives him higher upside. But, he is starting to look like Michael Vick out there. That can't continue - RG3 will adapt, or the NFL will break him.

A.J. Green is 2nd to none. He is at least as valuable as any WR in dynasty formats. His age counters Calvin being safer and physically more imposing.

Alfred Morris is a buy low - as silly as that sounds. He is plenty talented enough to keep the job for the next few years - and what a job it is. Trade him to an owner trying to be cute or fancy.

What are they doing to repair these ACLs? It's working.

Those Tampa Bay WRs sure look good when Freeman shows some stones. Buy low on Mike Williams?

Matt Ryan, promise me you aren't going to give me the Philip Rivers/Matthew Stafford treatment, should I value you top 4.

Dwayne Bowe is a stud. His production is very impressive, given his situation.

For those that follow the NBA too - the Ray Rice (E.Smith) comparison is the same red flag as the Scottie Pippen comparison. They are great players; stop comparing average, but well balanced prospects to them.

For the first time in a very long time I'm not looking to do much shaking up to my roster, hopefully for the rest of the year. Assuming I stay in the race and no reason to see I won't as I'm 3-1 in both only thing I can really see is flipping prospects for veterans to sellers if I have some short term holes needing upgraded come November.

RG3/Carson/Mallett

Richardson/Bradshaw/A Brown/B Tate/Dwyer/LMJ/Bolden

S Smith/Decker/Hawkins/Bess/Avery/McCluster/Edelman/Josh Gordon/TJ Graham/AJ Jenkins/Criner/Gettis/Damaris Johnson

Gates/Celek/Cameron

Luck/Bradford/Kaepernick

Richardson/R Bush/Benson/LMJ/Bolden/Felix/Tanner

Andre/Percy/Lloyd/S Moss/E Sanders/Benjamin/AJ Jenkins/Gettis/Brazill/R Moss

Witten/Tamme/Fleener/Dreesen/Cameron/Casey

College taxi features Sammy Watkins, Marquise Lee, and Geno Smith

Hopefully move Bradford as I have Geno on a college taxi to slide in behind Luck, but that's all I see right now - tried pettling Felix and Tanner off on the Murray owner but he wouldn't have it.

Misc thoughts:- Time to sell Arian Foster. Widely perceived as an elite player despite his YPC dropping each of the last two years. 26 years old. This might be your last opportunity to cash him in for top value. If you drop out of contention, I would also think about moving Peterson and MJD. Great players, but lots of tread already off the tire. Name brand recognition should ensure that you still get decent value when you send them packing.
I agree 100%, can get a huge haul right now and all his metrics point downward the past two seasons. Also, I don't like what I see on gameday as much either. Get the ransom now and spread the risk.

Misc thoughts:- Time to sell Arian Foster. Widely perceived as an elite player despite his YPC dropping each of the last two years. 26 years old. This might be your last opportunity to cash him in for top value. If you drop out of contention, I would also think about moving Peterson and MJD. Great players, but lots of tread already off the tire. Name brand recognition should ensure that you still get decent value when you send them packing.
I agree 100%, can get a huge haul right now and all his metrics point downward the past two seasons. Also, I don't like what I see on gameday as much either. Get the ransom now and spread the risk.
Depending on situation, of course. I woudln't cost myself a chance at a championship - but I agree as well.

:yes: He might be the #1 sell in all of dynasty FF right now.
I hate to say this - because he might be the most uniquely talented skill player in the NFL - but I would be looking to move Calvin too.As owners, we can't afford for Calvin to come back to earth. The WR field is very deep AND top heavy. The difference bewteen Calvin and guys like Cruz, Julio, Green is not as big as name value, and price to acquire suggests. Finishing top 5-10 for the next 5 years isn't enough. If that is what he is going to provide - if last year was an outlier, at all - we need to move him while he has top 3 dynasty player value.

especially if you hate winning.
I think the "situation depending" tag is assumed. If I could get a major offer, say DMC/Forte/Charles + Harvin/Wallace (And I don't think that is out of the question), I would look to make that deal. Also, I would be happy to get ANY kind of value in addition to LeSean McCoy for him, if I was looking for a straight up deal. PPR, of course.

especially if you hate winning.
I'm not saying give him away. I'm saying trade him for a superstar just entering his prime (and maybe get some picks thrown in if possible). A guy like Trent Richardson or Demaryius Thomas can also help you win right now, and has a better long term outlook. There comes a point in a player's career (around 27-28 for RBs) when he becomes very hard to trade for fair value. He might still produce for a few years beyond that threshold, but you will no longer be able to move him for an equivalent star, and you'll be stuck with a hole in your lineup when he finally falls off a cliff. It might not be worth risking a trade if you think it means the difference between contending and not contending, but if you can stomach the risk then this is the best time to sell.

Some people seem way too obsessed with [declining] trade value to the point they "fail to see the forest for the trees".

It isn't so easy to get fair value for guys like Calvin Johnson or Arian Foster without taking back quantity for your quality. People also fail to account for the lost production they are giving up in order not to get stuck with a 29 year old RB that has no trade value (2-3 years before he's even going to be 29).

There comes a point when you need to worry about production and winning the season(s) taht you are in instead of obsessing with always having the maximum trade value on your roster.

Trade value and production are the same thing though because you can always convert trade value into instant help.

If you trade Foster for Trent Richardson, Trent might not score as many points, but you will be able to trade him for just about anyone you want.

Users who are viewing this thread