What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (2 Viewers)

Bad OL or not, I am definitely not a LeVeon Bell fan. Soft bodied athlete without much explosiveness. Dare I say plodder? He is pretty nimble for a big back, but also a huge target that's liable to get tattooed in the NFL. I think it was a bad pick by the Steelers and I've been steering clear of him in my leagues.
If there were a rookie draft today, what would your top 10 look like out of curiousity in a ppr.

water1 said:
How are we ranking the top ten current rookies half way through the season?

Here's mine

1. Gio Bernard

2. Eddy Lacy

3. LeVeon Bell

4. Jordan Reed

5. DeAndre Hopkins

6. Cordarrelle Paterson

7. Terrance Williams

8. Keenan Allen

9. Zac Stacy

10. Christine Michael

I know Christine Michael hasn't really played but I wouldn't trade him for anybody but the top 4 picks so I thought he deserved a top ten ranking.
I have a hard time putting Allen any lower than 4th, and while I liked Bell well enough to acquire him in a couple spots, 3rd is too high. There's easily 6 or 7 guys that have looked more impressive and appear to have a brighter future, at least based on what we've seen so far. I also agree with others that Eifert deserves some consideration for top 10

fruity pebbles said:
EBF said:
Bad OL or not, I am definitely not a LeVeon Bell fan. Soft bodied athlete without much explosiveness. Dare I say plodder? He is pretty nimble for a big back, but also a huge target that's liable to get tattooed in the NFL. I think it was a bad pick by the Steelers and I've been steering clear of him in my leagues.
If there were a rookie draft today, what would your top 10 look like out of curiousity in a ppr.
It is hard for me to answer that right off the top of my head. Apart from the file on my computer dedicated to college players, I don't keep a running set of rankings. I have a good idea of who I like and how much these players might cost, and I base most of my decisions on that. Converting that into a concrete set of rankings can be difficult. A quick sketch at it for a typical PPR league where RBs are overvalued:

Gio Bernard

Christine Michael

Cordarrelle Patterson

DeAndre Hopkins

Eddie Lacy

Tyler Eifert

Jordan Reed

Keenan Allen

Marlon Brown

Justin Hunter

Lots of really thin margins here. I've seen Hopkins vs. Patterson as a debate between security and upside for the last several months and that hasn't changed. Who's more likely to be a solid WR2 for years to come? Hopkins. Who's more likely to be either an outright bust or a mega star? Patterson. Pick your poison.

I think Eifert is a better NFL talent than almost everyone on the list, but you've got to weigh the positional importance and how much that's going to influence things. 2-3 years of starter production from an average back like Lacy might be worth more than a very good TE career.

I don't want to get too carried away with the Michael hype. I feel like I'm starting to make him out to be the next great thing and that's a little inaccurate. I like his game and I think when healthy he has the talent necessary to be a good starter. There are issues there with durability and instincts that prevent me from going 100% all-in. Drafting a startup today though, it's pretty likely that he would find his way onto my team in the 3rd-4th round range.

There are some guys like Stacy, Ellington, and Williams making a case for the top 10. I'll need to see more from them before I buy the hype because I was pretty lukewarm on their dynasty value before this season and they haven't been so jaw-droppingly impressive that I feel like I need to change my mind...yet.

Next few spots would go to people like Woods, Manuel, and Geno.

Ok guys if LeVeon is so bad why were the Steelers raving about him in camp? I'm asking btw. I'm trying to start some big debate. He looks decent to me when I see him play (pretty quick for a big guy) but lots of people don't like him on here.

Richardson looks like he can be a useful complement, but he hasn't exactly shined in his chance to claim the starting role.
I've watched every snap of Richardson in Indy so far. He seems determined to run it up the gut. Seems like his surprising speed would be more of a weapon if he broke it outside more often.

I haven't seen any Andre Ellington talk for a bit. One aspect I find interesting is fantasy owners getting irate about Ellington's touches. Much like Spiller in Buffalo, I think a real time share in Arizona still leaves Ellington very fantasy-relevant going forward.

EBF said:
It is a pain in the ### to find viable starting RBs in 12-14 mandatory 2RB leagues, so I'm always on the lookout for cheap players who might become serviceable starters. Some of the more interesting options out there right now IMO:

Toby Gerhart - Former 2nd round pick who actually played well in 2011 with Peterson out. There is very little flash to his game, but he's a decent back and he reportedly drew trade interest earlier this season. The best thing about him is that he's a free agent after this season and DIRT cheap. I don't expect anyone to hand him a starting job on a plate, but there are MANY teams he could sign with and at least threaten to earn consistent touches in a committee.

Shonn Greene - 2-time 1000+ yard rusher on less-than-dynamic Jets teams. I don't think he's as bad as everyone thinks he is. If you're a believer in using objective NFL data points to evaluate players, you should make note of the relatively large contract Tennessee committed to Greene. I admittedly don't know the particulars of what it would mean financially for the Titans to get rid of Chris Johnson, but it seems possible that Greene could get 1-2 seasons there as a starter. The upside is VERY limited, but in larger 2RB leagues anyone who gets touches has value.

Mark Ingram - My level of optimism is very VERY low on this player, but we all know about his background and draft hype. If I could get him as a throw-in or for the price of a late 2nd round rookie pick, I might take a punt on him. There's some chance that he could become a Benson or Moreno on a new team. It's a low upside proposition and I wouldn't give up much to get him, but we've seen this movie before with other initial draft flops.

Jonathan Stewart - It has always been a question of opportunity and health, not ability. IF he comes back to 100% and stays reasonably healthy, there is plenty of upside here over his current cost. It remains to be seen if he can get back to his old level, but the idea that he's toast seems premature. He's younger than Jamaal Charles, Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, Reggie Bush, Matt Forte, and Adrian Peterson (all of whom are viewed as top 10-15 dynasty backs).

Apart from those guys, there's an interesting group of young backs who have flashed legitimate NFL talent and/or were high draft picks with compelling potential. I'd put Bernard Pierce and Christine Michael at the head of that list with David Wilson, Bryce Brown, and Ben Tate also in the picture. I don't want to get too carried away with the Michael hype because he's not a flawless prospect or a slam dunk lock, but when you weigh his youth/talent potential he should be rated much higher on generic dynasty lists. I feel the same way about Pierce, who clearly has NFL starter talent, but just needs to stay healthy and get his chance.
Solid target list. I'll add two guys that are even cheaper:

Rashard Mendenhall -- This is a bit funny, because I was arguing against the guy as a buy low this past offseason when he was going as a borderline RB2 / RB3, but his asking price has to have gone waaaaay down. He's clearly just a guy, but he's still a youngish former 1st round pick, and he's a UFA again after this season. Worth going after as a throw in lottery ticket type guy just on the chance he lands somewhere appealing for 2014.

LeGarrette Blount -- Not exciting, but he's actually played fairly well this year. He is also a UFA after this season, and IMO he has the talent to carve out a 1st and 2nd down role if he lands in the right spot. Looks like the perfect guy to get as a throw in lottery ticket.

Both of these guys obviously lack any semblance of RB1 upside, but there is a place for the unsexy RB25 - RB35 types, whether it's as depth, bye week coverage, matchup plays, etc. The lack of any flash makes these types of players essentially free in my experience.

Christine Michael

Eddie Lacy

I don't want to get too carried away with the Michael hype. I feel like I'm starting to make him out to be the next great thing and that's a little inaccurate. I like his game and I think when healthy he has the talent necessary to be a good starter. There are issues there with durability and instincts that prevent me from going 100% all-in. Drafting a startup today though, it's pretty likely that he would find his way onto my team in the 3rd-4th round range.
This seems a bit odd to me. Lacy is what you claim to hope Michael can be. Lacy doesn't look pretty doing it, but he's the guy in GB - an offense that is allowing him to produce at a very solid rate. With Lacy scoring 16+ PPG over the next year or so, it will take a lot for Michael to catch up, if and when he does land a job.

And right now, today, Turbin is the handcuff. Turbin is the guy being undervalued. He's shown enough at an NFL level to suggest he too could handle a starting job for a stretch, if given the opportunity. He had a good deal of buzz in the off-season, until there was a shiny new tow in town. I like Michael more; but, if cost is a factor, I'm much more likely to target Turbin. Especially if Michael's value is anywhere close to guys like Lacy, Allen, Patterson, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christine Michael

Eddie Lacy

This seems a bit odd to me. Lacy is what you claim to hope Michael can be. Lacy doesn't look pretty doing it, but he's the guy in GB - an offense that is allowing him to produce at a very solid rate. With Lacy scoring 16+ PPG over the next year or so, it will take a lot for Michael to catch up, if and when he does land a job.

And right now, today, Turbin is the handcuff. Turbin is the guy being undervalued. He's shown enough at an NFL level to suggest he too could handle a starting job for a stretch, if given the opportunity. He had a good deal of buzz in the off-season, until there was a shiny new tow in town. I like Michael more; but, if cost is a factor, I'm much more likely to target Turbin. Especially if Michael's value is anywhere close to guys like Lacy, Allen, Patterson, etc.
:goodposting:

I was one of Christine Michael's biggest fans pre-draft, but I think he's probably overrated right now. Michael has all the physical talents you want in a RB, but he's still a guy who was very mediocre in his final college season in an uberly productive Texas A&M offense, who was unable to command the lions share of carries with his play, and has little receiving production on his resume. I think there's enough causes for concern in Michael that he's definitely not a more valuable commodity than someone like Lacy or Allen who are producing high quality numbers right away, imo.

Ok guys if LeVeon is so bad why were the Steelers raving about him in camp? I'm asking btw. I'm trying to start some big debate. He looks decent to me when I see him play (pretty quick for a big guy) but lots of people don't like him on here.
Just about every team raves about their early round picks, no? I don't think it means all that much, especially not as much as what we've been able to witness in actual regular season game time the past 4 weeks. For whatever it's worth, the Steelers brass was also criticizing Lacy after the draft, almost as if they felt they needed to justify their pick in Bell over Lacy. I'm guessing if they could do that 2nd round pick over again, they would.

fruity pebbles said:
Here's mine: quick, dirty, and likely to change.

[SIZE=medium]Gio:[/SIZE][SIZE=medium] Looks like a solid talent at this level. If he can carry a load, and still be as explosive, he has top 2-3 potential. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Lacy: Solid. Great situation. WIll help you win today. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Patterson: We knew he was a year away when we drafted him. No need to panic. He's shown flashes. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Allen: Top weapon on a pass heavy offense, likely to hold onto the roll. Eddie Lacy of WRs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Reed: I'd have him higher if not for the increasing quality of the TE field. He's on his way to being an Aaron Hernandez level NFL player, and fantasy producer.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]T.Williams: Underrated, based on lack of post-combine hype. He's been a WR1 since taking over for Austin. He's in an ideal situation and is being allowed to learn on the job. It should take a lot for any of his owners to walk way from his current production. Even if he's all he'll ever be, that'll be worth more than a lot of sexier names. I understand that talent is more important that situation, which is why Williams isn't a top 2-3 rookie. [/SIZE] He had the #2 catch rate in the NFL, going into last week, is a great deep threat, and led the nation in rec yards last season - there is talent there, even if we dont' want to call it elite.

[SIZE=medium]Tavon: I have moved Tavon down a bit; perhaps wrongly. I'll still be buying if and when his owners decide to sell, but part of the allure was his "plug-n-play" potential. That hasn't happened. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Eifert: He's a stud, and I don't expect his situation to hinder him, starting next season, no matter what happens with the rest of the roster. They'll get him the ball. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Bell: 21 YO starting RB with PPR potential. The situation around him will improve. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hopkins: Was never high on him, and, despite a very nice start to his career, that hasn't changed. I expected solid numbers this year, and I expect solid numbers moving foward. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Hunter: Potential is there. Big off-season target. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Michael: Potential is valuable at the RB position, and Michael has it. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]ETA: Forgot Stacy. I'd likely put him in the bottom tier. Close to Michael. [/SIZE]

Robert Woods is being overlooked a little in these rookie lists.

For all the talk about how bad the 2013 draft was, it seem to me there's a lot of decent players coming out of it. No slam-dunk studs, but a lot of valuable pieces.

Robert Woods is being overlooked a little in these rookie lists.

For all the talk about how bad the 2013 draft was, it seem to me there's a lot of decent players coming out of it. No slam-dunk studs, but a lot of valuable pieces.
I do like Woods. I just can't find a name on my list that I would move for him, however.

I agree with you about this class. I think we'll still look back and call it weak, if guys like Tavon, Hunter, and Patterson don't pan out. But the depth was there, and there was talent to be had at each step.

I had an interesting revelation this weekend, though perhaps it's simply a matter of being late to the party in terms of my own understanding of the dynasty landscape. I'm in a league where you start 1 RB and 1 RB/WR/TE flex. I have an embarrassment of riches at TE with Graham, Cameron, and Reed, and as a Doug Martin owner had spent last week trying to figure out which to trade to get a stud 2nd RB. And what I've discovered is that excepting Charles and perhaps McCoy, there are no RBs that are worth trading those TEs for if you're a team seeking both immediate contribution and long-term value. There are targets if you want an immediate contribution, and targets if you want long-term value, but it's not worth moving a potential stud asset at another position to address RB. I understand that plenty has been written about the ascension of time-shares and the general de-emphasis of NFL running games, but it occurs to me that if I were in a dynasty league that required starting two RBs I'd be petitioning for a rule change immediately.

Rashard Mendenhall -- This is a bit funny, because I was arguing against the guy as a buy low this past offseason when he was going as a borderline RB2 / RB3, but his asking price has to have gone waaaaay down. He's clearly just a guy, but he's still a youngish former 1st round pick, and he's a UFA again after this season. Worth going after as a throw in lottery ticket type guy just on the chance he lands somewhere appealing for 2014.
He's cheaper than dirt right now - as he should be I guess. I needed a desperation bye week filler two weeks ago and was able to land him for Ace Sanders and a 4th round pick. I'll hold now, and see where he lands this offseason. Worst case scenario I'll be able to trade him for handcuff value if he lands a backup gig somewhere. As you said he's a cheap lottery ticket with long odds of paying off - but at the $1 price of ticket acquisition fee he's worth a shot.

Top 10 lists are hard, because it depends on what you’re valuing. For example, Allen vs Patterson. One’s proven he can do it now, over a multi-week period, and looked good doing it. The other is still all potential. I tend to view potential turned into success as superior to potential that remains potential, as long as that success looks to be a product of the individual’s talent rather than a lucky situation (i.e. volume carries, garbage yardage, soft defenses, etc). Likewise, the value of viable starting RBs in most leagues raises their value. If I could trade Allen, Reed, Hopkins, or Bell for Eddie Lacy right now, I would.

Lacy - For real. Watching him is pretty impressive. He breaks tackles, runs hard, sees holes, can catch the ball...best situation + talent combination.

Bernard – Great in passing game, but not sure he’ll hold up as featured back. Upside higher than Stacy, but right now he isn’t running as well.

Stacy – He's running with toughness, vision, and decisiveness as a downhill, one-cut-and-go runner. He’s even getting some looks in the passing game. Not sold that his physical upside is the same as Lacy or Bernard, but it's hard to watch him and not be impressed.

Allen – Early in 2012, people were calling him the #1 receiver off the board. Then everyone soured on him. Now, he’s looking like that early call was correct.

Michael – Based on pre-draft ranking, situation, plus looks in preseason and garbage time in regular season. Looks like the real deal, but a 2-year wait is hard for some.

Reed – While TE quality is increasing, he may turn the Big 3 at TE into a Big 4. He might have already done it.

Hopkins – Thought he was the best receiver in the draft. Glue hands, great routes, wins one-on-one battles, red zone targets, plays like a four-year veteran.

Bell – 3-down back with great agility scores, but not traditionally explosive. Hard to get a read on him with limited looks, and wasn't high on him pre-draft. Bad situation, but Pitt seems committed.

Eifert – Looks for real, but they have a lot of mouths to feed in Cinci (Green, Bernard, Eifert, Jones, Gresham) and I’m not confident Dalton is the one to make Eifert a star.

Patterson - All potential and upside, but remains to be seen if he makes the leap. Had him ranked behind Hopkins and ahead of Austin, Allen before the draft, so this isn’t really a reflection on him as it is players like Reed and Allen showing that they already CAN do it.

Williams – Much better than expected, but his output will likely be steady rather than game-winning.

Austin – Had a number of plays called back due to penalty, or his numbers would be more impressive. Drops and poor playcalling hold him back, but Bradford was spreading the ball around and diminishing the perceived PPR value Austin had.

Edit to add: Rams homer.

Top 10 lists are hard, because it depends on what you’re valuing. For example, Allen vs Patterson. One’s proven he can do it now, over a multi-week period, and looked good doing it. The other is still all potential. I tend to view potential turned into success as superior to potential that remains potential, as long as that success looks to be a product of the individual’s talent rather than a lucky situation (i.e. volume carries, garbage yardage, soft defenses, etc). Likewise, the value of viable starting RBs in most leagues raises their value. If I could trade Allen, Reed, Hopkins, or Bell for Eddie Lacy right now, I would.

Lacy - For real. Watching him is pretty impressive. He breaks tackles, runs hard, sees holes, can catch the ball...best situation + talent combination.

Bernard – Great in passing game, but not sure he’ll hold up as featured back. Upside higher than Stacy, but right now he isn’t running as well.

Stacy – He's running with toughness, vision, and decisiveness as a downhill, one-cut-and-go runner. He’s even getting some looks in the passing game. Not sold that his physical upside is the same as Lacy or Bernard, but it's hard to watch him and not be impressed.

Allen – Early in 2012, people were calling him the #1 receiver off the board. Then everyone soured on him. Now, he’s looking like that early call was correct.

Michael – Based on pre-draft ranking, situation, plus looks in preseason and garbage time in regular season. Looks like the real deal, but a 2-year wait is hard for some.

Reed – While TE quality is increasing, he may turn the Big 3 at TE into a Big 4. He might have already done it.

Hopkins – Thought he was the best receiver in the draft. Glue hands, great routes, wins one-on-one battles, red zone targets, plays like a four-year veteran.

Bell – 3-down back with great agility scores, but not traditionally explosive. Hard to get a read on him with limited looks, and wasn't high on him pre-draft. Bad situation, but Pitt seems committed.

Eifert – Looks for real, but they have a lot of mouths to feed in Cinci (Green, Bernard, Eifert, Jones, Gresham) and I’m not confident Dalton is the one to make Eifert a star.

Patterson - All potential and upside, but remains to be seen if he makes the leap. Had him ranked behind Hopkins and ahead of Austin, Allen before the draft, so this isn’t really a reflection on him as it is players like Reed and Allen showing that they already CAN do it.

Williams – Much better than expected, but his output will likely be steady rather than game-winning.

Austin – Had a number of plays called back due to penalty, or his numbers would be more impressive. Drops and poor playcalling hold him back, but Bradford was spreading the ball around and diminishing the perceived PPR value Austin had.

Thanks for this. It's always nice to read other opinions.

One point I'd make: The Dallas Cowboys WR2 spot has been very productive for years. The problem is that the options have been injured or shuffled around. I certainly don't expect WR1 numbers, or a TD every single week, but I absolutely expect Terrance Williams to be very productive while his current situation is steady. The Cowboys love him, and did going into the draft. They had him as a high 2nd round talent, IIRC, looking at their draft board, ahead of a lot of guys drafted in front of him. I don't expect the Cowboys to be in a hurry to add WR talent, especially with Coale showing signs.

I think the value will come from owners writing his production off as "too good to be true/last". I'm not so sure, myself. He could be Eric Decker: a guy whose talent the hobby is split on, but who puts up WR1 numbers in the meantime.

I'm kicking myself for not targeting him more aggressively than I did; I thought Austin was the play at his ADP. I won't be betting on those hamstrings again. Lesson learned.

Im a big Patterson fan so take this with a grain of salt but im not sure id call him all potential. Hes leading the league in kick return average and has take 2 back already in 7 games and was close on a couple others. He's shown a lot imo, his open field skills at the nfl level are already among the best. Now the receiver part of his game needs work but that comes with experience. With better QB play he'd probably already have a big play or two. Almost had one this week, Tramon Williams had to sweep his legs as he was beat by several steps. Guess this is long way of saying Patterson imo has everything needed talentwise to suceed, everything he doesnt have can be taught.

Thanks for this. It's always nice to read other opinions.One point I'd make: The Dallas Cowboys WR2 spot has been very productive for years. The problem is that the options have been injured or shuffled around. I certainly don't expect WR1 numbers, or a TD every single week, but I absolutely expect Terrance Williams to be very productive while his current situation is steady. The Cowboys love him, and did going into the draft. They had him as a high 2nd round talent, IIRC, looking at their draft board, ahead of a lot of guys drafted in front of him. I don't expect the Cowboys to be in a hurry to add WR talent, especially with Coale showing signs.

I think the value will come from owners writing his production off as "too good to be true/last". I'm not so sure, myself. He could be Eric Decker: a guy whose talent the hobby is split on, but who puts up WR1 numbers in the meantime.

I'm kicking myself for not targeting him more aggressively than I did; I thought Austin was the play at his ADP. I won't be betting on those hamstrings again. Lesson learned.
You make a valid point. I suppose this is a difference in valuation. I anticipate Hopkins and Allen being top-15 weekly WR plays consistently; I'm not saying they are currently (especially with Andre still in the mix). I don't trust Williams to do the same. He's definitely going to produce, but there will probably be more week-to-week inconsistency. This creates an interesting discussion regarding Williams and Patterson: What's more valuable at this point? "Guaranteed" high-WR2 production from Williams, or potential game-breaking upside?

Im a big Patterson fan so take this with a grain of salt but im not sure id call him all potential. Hes leading the league in kick return average and has take 2 back already in 7 games and was close on a couple others. He's shown a lot imo, his open field skills at the nfl level are already among the best. Now the receiver part of his game needs work but that comes with experience. With better QB play he'd probably already have a big play or two. Almost had one this week, Tramon Williams had to sweep his legs as he was beat by several steps. Guess this is long way of saying Patterson imo has everything needed talentwise to suceed, everything he doesnt have can be taught.
By "all potential", I don't mean to dismiss his talent. He's been occasionally jaw-dropping when he's been on the field and as I said, he was my #2 receiver coming into the draft. However, he's had only limited snaps as a receiver, which means the jury is still out on his development (or whether he will.) That's what I mean by all potential--his open-field moves make one salivate, but we haven't yet seen it translate to the WR position. Definitely some of that is QB incompetence, but..see my above "Williams vs. Patterson" question.

When comparing people in the same rookie class, lists are necessarily dynamic. It's hard, however, no matter how much you like Patterson, to turn down players that are already doing what you hope that he will eventually be doing.

Richardson looks like he can be a useful complement, but he hasn't exactly shined in his chance to claim the starting role.
I've watched every snap of Richardson in Indy so far. He seems determined to run it up the gut. Seems like his surprising speed would be more of a weapon if he broke it outside more often.
I was actually talking about Daryl.

I think long term Trent will be fine.

EBF said:
It is a pain in the ### to find viable starting RBs in 12-14 mandatory 2RB leagues, so I'm always on the lookout for cheap players who might become serviceable starters. Some of the more interesting options out there right now IMO:

Toby Gerhart - Former 2nd round pick who actually played well in 2011 with Peterson out. There is very little flash to his game, but he's a decent back and he reportedly drew trade interest earlier this season. The best thing about him is that he's a free agent after this season and DIRT cheap. I don't expect anyone to hand him a starting job on a plate, but there are MANY teams he could sign with and at least threaten to earn consistent touches in a committee.

Shonn Greene - 2-time 1000+ yard rusher on less-than-dynamic Jets teams. I don't think he's as bad as everyone thinks he is. If you're a believer in using objective NFL data points to evaluate players, you should make note of the relatively large contract Tennessee committed to Greene. I admittedly don't know the particulars of what it would mean financially for the Titans to get rid of Chris Johnson, but it seems possible that Greene could get 1-2 seasons there as a starter. The upside is VERY limited, but in larger 2RB leagues anyone who gets touches has value.

Mark Ingram - My level of optimism is very VERY low on this player, but we all know about his background and draft hype. If I could get him as a throw-in or for the price of a late 2nd round rookie pick, I might take a punt on him. There's some chance that he could become a Benson or Moreno on a new team. It's a low upside proposition and I wouldn't give up much to get him, but we've seen this movie before with other initial draft flops.

Jonathan Stewart - It has always been a question of opportunity and health, not ability. IF he comes back to 100% and stays reasonably healthy, there is plenty of upside here over his current cost. It remains to be seen if he can get back to his old level, but the idea that he's toast seems premature. He's younger than Jamaal Charles, Arian Foster, Marshawn Lynch, Reggie Bush, Matt Forte, and Adrian Peterson (all of whom are viewed as top 10-15 dynasty backs).

Apart from those guys, there's an interesting group of young backs who have flashed legitimate NFL talent and/or were high draft picks with compelling potential. I'd put Bernard Pierce and Christine Michael at the head of that list with David Wilson, Bryce Brown, and Ben Tate also in the picture. I don't want to get too carried away with the Michael hype because he's not a flawless prospect or a slam dunk lock, but when you weigh his youth/talent potential he should be rated much higher on generic dynasty lists. I feel the same way about Pierce, who clearly has NFL starter talent, but just needs to stay healthy and get his chance.
Solid target list. I'll add two guys that are even cheaper:

LeGarrette Blount -- Not exciting, but he's actually played fairly well this year. He is also a UFA after this season, and IMO he has the talent to carve out a 1st and 2nd down role if he lands in the right spot. Looks like the perfect guy to get as a throw in lottery ticket.

Both of these guys obviously lack any semblance of RB1 upside, but there is a place for the unsexy RB25 - RB35 types, whether it's as depth, bye week coverage, matchup plays, etc. The lack of any flash makes these types of players essentially free in my experience.
Mendy has been disappointing this season. He's also seemingly been banged up from day one. I'm done buying him at this point, but maybe he can land somewhere decent and compete for carries again.

EBF said:

Solid target list. I'll add two guys that are even cheaper:Rashard Mendenhall -- This is a bit funny, because I was arguing against the guy as a buy low this past offseason when he was going as a borderline RB2 / RB3, but his asking price has to have gone waaaaay down. He's clearly just a guy, but he's still a youngish former 1st round pick, and he's a UFA again after this season. Worth going after as a throw in lottery ticket type guy just on the chance he lands somewhere appealing for 2014.

Mendy has been disappointing this season. He's also seemingly been banged up from day one. I'm done buying him at this point, but maybe he can land somewhere decent and compete for carries again.
I'm not a huge fan at all, but Arizona's offensive line is probably making him look worse than he actually is. For a end of roster scrub or a rookie pick in the mid-30s or later, I'll roll the dice. Ironic that his crappy one year contract is now potentially a redeeming factor, at least in my eyes LOL.

Hmmm...I could have sworn we heard that exact same argument last year.

Christine Michael

Eddie Lacy

Turbin is a very ordinary back. No long term threat.

Michael over Lacy is a stretch based on the fact that Lacy is already useful. It's probably more accurate to say that I'd much rather have Michael in the 4th-5th round than Lacy in the second. Lacy looks pretty average. I have him in my redraft and he has been money, but there's no wow factor. Michael also plays in a good running offense and he seems to have more individual talent.

Hmmm...I would have sworn we heard that exact same argument last year.
Yeah, but he didn't land somewhere decent last year -- he landed in AZ where RBs go to die. And there's a HUGE difference in price between now and then. Mendy @ rock bottom price playing for ??? in 2014 >>> Mendy @ RB25 prices stuck in AZ.

When comparing people in the same rookie class, lists are necessarily dynamic. It's hard, however, no matter how much you like Patterson, to turn down players that are already doing what you hope that he will eventually be doing.
I think it's hard to find the right balance between being rigid and reactive. Just remember that there a lot of crappy players like Julius Jones and Steve Slaton who had very solid rookie years and a lot of eventual stars who did very little.

Christine Michael

Eddie Lacy

Michael over Lacy is a stretch based on the fact that Lacy is already useful. It's probably more accurate to say that I'd much rather have Michael in the 4th-5th round than Lacy in the second. Lacy looks pretty average. I have him in my redraft and he has been money, but there's no wow factor. Michael also plays in a good running offense and he seems to have more individual talent.
Don't know how realistic that is, personally. I've sent out feelers for Michael in a bunch of leagues and he seems to be a guy that some people REALLY like. I like him too, obviously, or I wouldn't be trying to acquire him, but the prices I'm seeing assume that you can chisel in stone his FF RB1 status as of 2015 at the latest. Not sure I'm willing to pay like that for the guy...

Yeah, but he didn't land somewhere decent last year -- he landed in AZ where RBs go to die. And there's a HUGE difference in price between now and then. Mendy @ rock bottom price playing for ??? in 2014 >>> Mendy @ RB25 prices stuck in AZ.
Seems to me that wasn't the perception at the time, a lot of people were excited about the AZ signing (hence the @ RB25 prices despite the competition).

And there is no guarantee he will end up in a better situation in 2014. This is starting to have the flavor, that no matter what the situation is for Mendy, he is sold as a great buy low opportunity. Having been down that road with Stewart, I remain skeptical (even though I own him in one league and intend to hold hoping for the best).

Turbin is a very ordinary back. No long term threat.Michael over Lacy is a stretch based on the fact that Lacy is already useful. It's probably more accurate to say that I'd much rather have Michael in the 4th-5th round than Lacy in the second. Lacy looks pretty average. I have him in my redraft and he has been money, but there's no wow factor. Michael also plays in a good running offense and he seems to have more individual talent.
I think we disagree re:talent on all 3 guys, and I'd guess that's all it comes down to.

Michael is a combine warrior and I am not sold that he's a better NFL RB than Turbin, who I think has looked good.

Lacy has had plenty of wow plays thus far in his young career, IMO. But that is subjective.

Seems to me that wasn't the perception at the time, a lot of people were excited about the AZ signing (hence the @ RB25 prices despite the competition).

And there is no guarantee he will end up in a better situation in 2014. This is starting to have the flavor, that no matter what the situation is for Mendy, he is sold as a great buy low opportunity. Having been down that road with Stewart, I remain skeptical (even though I own him in one league and intend to hold hoping for the best).
Does feel familiar, but a lot more goes in to "situation" than just lack of competition, which was what people were excited about this past offseason. Mendenhall is just a guy -- he'll get what's blocked and not much more. In AZ, that's about 2 YPC. Elsewhere behind a better line, it might be more.

I also didn't call him a great anything -- he's a "why not?" flyer throw in. Of course there's no guarantee he lands somewhere better, but at his current cost, which is pretty much as close to WW as it gets, I'll take a slim chance at relevance all day. YMMV, but late 3rds / 4ths generally don't make a decent roster in most setups in my experience, and Mendenhall on the Jets or something might be viable...

I think we disagree re:talent on all 3 guys, and I'd guess that's all it comes down to.

Michael is a combine warrior and I am not sold that he's a better NFL RB than Turbin, who I think has looked good.

Lacy has had plenty of wow plays thus far in his young career, IMO. But that is subjective.
Agree with you on Lacy, and I was a big doubter prior to this season. He's looked good enough that I'm willing to pencil him in as the guy in GB moving forward. He appears to have much better short area quickness than I expected, along with the obvious and expected ability to move the pile.

Don't know how realistic that is, personally. I've sent out feelers for Michael in a bunch of leagues and he seems to be a guy that some people REALLY like. I like him too, obviously, or I wouldn't be trying to acquire him, but the prices I'm seeing assume that you can chisel in stone his FF RB1 status as of 2015 at the latest. Not sure I'm willing to pay like that for the guy...
A 4th round start-up pick? I find that surprising, and far too high for my tastes. I landed Gio and Lacy in the 4th round this year. The odds of Michael catching up to those two after a 2 year head start are very slim. I can't bring myself to punt away immediate value that early in a startup.

Guys like B.Brown/Tate/Pierce were going much later than that. Michael has done nothing, at any level, for me to value him so much more than those guys.

A 4th round start-up pick? I find that surprising, and far too high for my tastes. I landed Gio and Lacy in the 4th round this year. The odds of Michael catching up to those two after a 2 year head start are very slim. I can't bring myself to punt away immediate value that early in a startup.

Guys like B.Brown/Tate/Pierce were going much later than that. Michael has done nothing, at any level, for me to value him so much more than those guys.
I fully agree with you, which is why I own Michael in zero leagues, despite thinking he's a pretty strong prospect. Michael owners seem to be hugely high on the guy. EBF slotting him at 1.02 as we sit right now is in no way outside the norm from what I've seen. With the lack of quality young RB talent out there, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he landed in the top 40 picks of a startup -- his owners in most of my leagues value him in that range for sure, if not higher.

While I do think Michael is the most talented of that bunch, the hype is too high on him.

Just about every team raves about their early round picks, no? I don't think it means all that much, especially not as much as what we've been able to witness in actual regular season game time the past 4 weeks. For whatever it's worth, the Steelers brass was also criticizing Lacy after the draft, almost as if they felt they needed to justify their pick in Bell over Lacy. I'm guessing if they could do that 2nd round pick over again, they would.
Part of the criticisms of Eddie Lacy were that his injury history might not affect him immediately, but it was very likely to dramatically shorten his career. That's supposedly why Denver shied away from him, too. If those concerns are accurate, there's nothing Lacy can do this season that will put them to rest.

I had an interesting revelation this weekend, though perhaps it's simply a matter of being late to the party in terms of my own understanding of the dynasty landscape. I'm in a league where you start 1 RB and 1 RB/WR/TE flex. I have an embarrassment of riches at TE with Graham, Cameron, and Reed, and as a Doug Martin owner had spent last week trying to figure out which to trade to get a stud 2nd RB. And what I've discovered is that excepting Charles and perhaps McCoy, there are no RBs that are worth trading those TEs for if you're a team seeking both immediate contribution and long-term value. There are targets if you want an immediate contribution, and targets if you want long-term value, but it's not worth moving a potential stud asset at another position to address RB. I understand that plenty has been written about the ascension of time-shares and the general de-emphasis of NFL running games, but it occurs to me that if I were in a dynasty league that required starting two RBs I'd be petitioning for a rule change immediately.
I was writing a bit about this last week. In 2010, the average age of RBs if you weighted them by VBD was 24.7. Today, the average age of RBs if you weight them by VBD is 27.1. Three years ago, there were a dozen RBs who were both productive AND young. Today? Depending on your definitions of "productive" and "young", it could be as few as 1.

It's not about the rise in time-shares or the de-emphasis of running games. In truth, RBs are scoring essentially the same number of fantasy points this year as they do every year, well within the margin for error. The problem is WHO is doing all of that scoring. Of the top 10 RBs in the league in standard scoring, none of them entered the league with the last four draft classes. Too many years have gone by with too few elite talents entering the league, and the results are showing.

Part of the criticisms of Eddie Lacy were that his injury history might not affect him immediately, but it was very likely to dramatically shorten his career. That's supposedly why Denver shied away from him, too. If those concerns are accurate, there's nothing Lacy can do this season that will put them to rest.
I never got to the bottom of this, but the doctor that performed the procedure essentially said: "If Eddie Lacy had what some NFL teams are suggesting, he couldn't physically have played in 2012". Some feared that his toe was fused together, and the Lacy camp disputed that claim.

Anyone hear anything definitive?

I never got to the bottom of this, but the doctor that performed the procedure essentially said: "If Eddie Lacy had what some NFL teams are suggesting, he couldn't physically have played in 2012". Some feared that his toe was fused together, and the Lacy camp disputed that claim.

JSonline states "Unlike the typical toe fusion surgery - which hardens the big toe completely, thus limiting mobility - only the bone on the tip of Lacy's big toe was fused. He never needed the full, rocking-chair-like fusion doctors often use.

"The joint underneath the toenail was fused to allow the ligament to work better basically," Cain said. "It's something you do to give you a better push-off. His big toe moves just like a normal big toe in terms of motion. . . . If you fused it completely, it'd give you a stiff big toe and you can't push off and that's a big problem. In Eddie's case, he does not have that. His fusion does not affect his big-toe motion."

I figure Green Bay's home paper would have done their research.

Concept Coop said:
Coeur de Lion said:

In the one startup I did this offseason, Pierce went in the 8th, Bryce Brown went in the 9th, and Lattimore/Tate/Michael went in the 10th. Just to give an idea of what the "heir apparent / future starter" tier of backs was going for this year.

Now, Michael COULD justify a 4th round startup draft pick, but if recent history is anything to go by, he won't have to.

Nothing definitive, but what Adam suggests was the local scuttlebutt. Lacy was supposed to be a target for the Packers in RD1. Not only did they pass on him there, but the when they got on the clock with pick 58, they traded that away to the 49ers. They then took him six picks later. (They added a 6th rounder to move down those 6 spots). Local reporters that I trust the most were suggesting that the Packers seemed to be doing everything they could to not take Lacy.

Now, 6 months later everyone is singing his praises. In all honesty though, I don't think he's all that much better than Starks. They're different styles as Starks is more of a slasher and Lacy a pounder, but they both get the job done.

Single biggest issue with Starks is he just can't play more than a handful of games without getting hurt.

Local reporters that I trust the most were suggesting that the Packers seemed to be doing everything they could to not take Lacy.
This never made sense to me. The Packers likely graded a few RBs close and targeted the end of the tier. The idea that they didn't like Lacy and felt forced to draft him - I don't see the logic in that. It's the same spin that suggested that we should be excited about the team trading up for Franklin (after passing on him twice in the same round).

Not aimed at you, KT; just something I have heard that, again, never made sense.

Local reporters that I trust the most were suggesting that the Packers seemed to be doing everything they could to not take Lacy.
This never made sense to me. The Packers likely graded a few RBs close and targeted the end of the tier. The idea that they didn't like Lacy and felt forced to draft him - I don't see the logic in that. It's the same spin that suggested that we should be excited about the team trading up for Franklin (after passing on him twice in the same round).

Not aimed at you, KT; just something I have heard that, again, never made sense.
It's not the right way to phrase it - they knew he carried some risk but thought he was talented enough to spend a 2nd on despite the risk.

So where are you guys slotting Lacy in your RB rankings?
I'm not updating again until next Monday/Tuesday, but it's looking likely Lacy will be in my top 10 once I do.
Do you mind if I ask why you're so low on Alshon Jeffery (WR32)? He has measurables and pedigree and seems to be in the midst of a 2nd year breakout with a stable (if not particularly QB rich) franchise and yet he falls behind low-upside guys like Amendola and Shorts.

Turbin is a very ordinary back. No long term threat.Michael over Lacy is a stretch based on the fact that Lacy is already useful. It's probably more accurate to say that I'd much rather have Michael in the 4th-5th round than Lacy in the second. Lacy looks pretty average. I have him in my redraft and he has been money, but there's no wow factor. Michael also plays in a good running offense and he seems to have more individual talent.

Adrian Peterson and LaDainian Tomlinson were also combine warriors. Doesn't mean they couldn't play the game. I'm not saying Michael is on their level, but let's look at the facts here:

- Best athlete of the incoming RB class by a wide margin.

- 2nd round NFL draft pick.

- Drew immediate raves in training camp practices.

- Led the NFL in preseason rushing yards and looked very good doing it.

- Heir apparent to the starting job on a very good team.

I was kind of with you on the whole "he's more workout warrior than football player" thing back in May-June, but those fears were put to rest in August. The ONLY thing keeping this kid from top 10 dynasty RB value today is opportunity. Once that roadblock is cleared, he's going to become a hugely valuable commodity. I'm not saying that he's a lock to become Marshawn Lynch or Adrian Peterson. Only that his long term value is way out of whack with where you see him on most generic dynasty lists.

Though, as CDL alluded to, his owners (rightly) value him much higher than that. He might be dynasty RB30 in rankings, but he's going to cost you RB12-18 value. The buy low window has mostly come and gone with him. In a startup draft where nobody has committed to him yet you might be able to steal him in the 4th-5th round and that's a great gamble to take at that price. One good season and he'll be a top 15 pick.

As for Turbin, I don't get the love affair on these boards. I actually sort of liked him in my 2012 rookie rankings, but over time it's become clear to me that he's just an average NFL player. Horrible? No, but he offers very little in the way of creativity, elusiveness, or extra yardage. He gets what's there and nothing more. He's a player that you would never be excited to have as your starter if you were an NFL coach. Michael, on the other hand, has shown flashes of being a plus runner who can break big plays on his own merit. Nevermind the fact that Michael was a much higher draft pick. Take a few minutes to watch them work for Seattle and ask yourself which is the more impressive runner? I think the answer is clear. Even Ware might be better runner than Turbin.

Users who are viewing this thread