What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty Rankings (6 Viewers)

I would be fine with 80 catches at 11 ypr in his first year back plus a modest rushing total (mid 100s). If he only scores 4 TDs to go along with it and people are bummed, he will be a major buy next offseason. That would put him in 2013 Cruz/Torrey/Floyd/Wallace range. Health concerns we have now would be reduced, and given his "unique skillset" you could still see reason to hope for top 5 numbers to return as the offense adjusts and finds more ways to use him and less (health) reasons to hold him back. If you're planning to HOLD you're not going to be bummed by those numbers. Or at least you shouldn't be.

I would be fine with 80 catches at 11 ypr in his first year back plus a modest rushing total (mid 100s). If he only scores 4 TDs to go along with it and people are bummed, he will be a major buy next offseason. That would put him in 2013 Cruz/Torrey/Floyd/Wallace range. Health concerns we have now would be reduced, and given his "unique skillset" you could still see reason to hope for top 5 numbers to return as the offense adjusts and finds more ways to use him and less (health) reasons to hold him back. If you're planning to HOLD you're not going to be bummed by those numbers. Or at least you shouldn't be.
I agree with this. I'd fall under the "happy with those numbers" camp too, assuming I valued him in the Garcon, Jordy, Fitz, Cruz range, rather than on the Jeffery, Cobb, Allen tier.

I think he's got a shot to be a truly special player this year. The read option with Russell choose between himself, Harvin, and Lynch is going to be brutal to stop.

I think he's going to pick up a lot of the slack from Tate leaving as well.

Harvin's market value is very fragile right now. The Superbowl helped (see major ADP spike), but that increase can very easily be undone--by injury or slow start.

On top of his fragile market value, his utilization is a big question, too. He's not a plug-n-play NFL WR1; he has a unique skillset that requires a unique game plan to support WR1 fantasy numbers. He could end up being a better NFL player than fantasy player moving foward. Would anyone be surprised by 80/880/4 with next to nothing on the ground? His 2011 rushing totals weren't the norm and came with Peterson dealing with injuries; not something I'd count on.

I can certainly see the upside. He's a young talent paired with another young talent at the QB spot. He's the only major weapon at the WR/TE spots right now. I just think there's risk and a concerning floor.
Not going to get into market value as it's not a huge factor for me when discussing the value of a cornerstone player which is how I see Percy Harvin. Obviously, that's personal perspective, and there are reasonable arguments on both sides.Re: the bolded, though, yeah, I'd be HUGELY surprised if that was Harvin's stat line over 16 games next year. Pete Carroll and John Schneider are smart, and I very much doubt that they traded a 1st, a 3rd, and a 7th for Percy Harvin and then paid him like a top 5 WR planning to get under 900 YFS from him. He'll be a huge focal point of their offense IMO, which is a better offense than he played in in Minnesota, and Wilson is by far the best QB he's ever had. I'd be absolutely stunned if his numbers are anywhere near that low assuming health moving forward.
Minny passed the ball 120 times more than Seattle last year, and 80 more times the season before. With so much of Harvin's value coming from receptions--that should be concerning to his owners.

As for those numbers--they're very close to his career average (81/965/5(PPG*16)). He's never reached 1,000 rec yards or 7 rec TDs in a season.

I think you're right about the organization; they are smart. They're not going to measure Harvin's value to the team in raw numbers. That's what I mean when I suggest he could be a better NFL player than fantasy asset; he could greatly help the team and still not be a fantasy WR1.
Agree to disagree -- that level of investment absolutely screams "build our offense around this guy" to me. I also think that over time Seattle will likely be throwing more -- due to both Wilson developing and also to losing guys on the defense as contracts come up. They're not going to morph into Detroit overnight, but I doubt that they stay in the bottom few teams in pass attempts over the next several years.

• Smile
Reactions: DAG
Agree to disagree -- that level of investment absolutely screams "build our offense around this guy" to me. I also think that over time Seattle will likely be throwing more -- due to both Wilson developing and also to losing guys on the defense as contracts come up. They're not going to morph into Detroit overnight, but I doubt that they stay in the bottom few teams in pass attempts over the next several years.
The investment came before he missed a full year due to a questionable injury. There's definite "kid gloves" risk as they seek to a) have him available all year as they assume they will be back in SB contention and b) have their significant pick investment made good and not turn into another IR stint.

I agree SEA is going to pass more, but it will not be an overnight transition. It will be gradual and next year will be the smallest delta.

The investment came before he missed a full year due to a questionable injury. There's definite "kid gloves" risk as they seek to a) have him available all year as they assume they will be back in SB contention and b) have their significant pick investment made good and not turn into another IR stint.

I agree SEA is going to pass more, but it will not be an overnight transition. It will be gradual and next year will be the smallest delta.
I factor injury risk far less than most, believing it to be totally random for the most part. Obviously, YMMV. We agree on Seattle's offense entirely.

Picking one of my leagues at random... the average amount of points per WR start in that league was 18.25. WRs 22, 23, and 24 (by points per game) produced 18.4, 18.2, and 17.6 points per game. So, pretending I had another WR of exactly equal quality to cover all byes and injuries, I would say that WR22/23/24 would be pretty dang close to a league-average unit.

Now, let's say I replaced WR22 with WR12. In theory, WR12 is the absolute worst WR1.

My WR3 shouldn't be measured against a different baseline than my WR1.

If I drafted Jerricho Cotchery in the 18th round, it's not like that's a better draft pick if I also grabbed Josh Gordon in the 10th. Josh Gordon being amazing only made Josh Gordon a great draft pick, it didn't magically make Jerricho Cotchery a great draft pick, too.
I think you're taking my statements too literally. My stance was not that we need 3 different numbers, or that Dez Bryant has more value at WR3 than WR1. My issue was with using worst projected starter as baseline production. Functionally, there is nothing "baseline" about it.

ETA: I'd like to see a league in which WR22,WR23,WR24 is a baseline unit, if you don't mind sharing the link.
I'll PM you the link, but honestly, it's not as surprising as you'd think when you think about what I'm measuring. It was a 10 team league that started 3 WRs a week for 16 weeks, good for 480 WR-Starts. Those WRs scored 8763.6 points, good for 18.26 points per WR-Start. In this particular league, 23 WRs produced a higher PPG average than 18.26. Which makes total sense, because a lot of those WRs with higher PPG averages didn't play a full 16 games (Blackmon, Julio), and a lot more of them spent some time on the bench before their owners trusted them enough to start them (Gordon, Jeffery), and some teams had terrible WR corps and brought down the average (one guy's best receivers were Julian Edelman, Reggie Wayne, Victor Cruz, and Nate Washington).
This doesn't feel quite right, because it doesn't account for bye weeks, and players at all levels miss a few games here and there- we only notice the top producers, but the replacements miss games too. The truth is that the WR4 on most fantasy rosters gets at least 5 or 6 starts and it's not unusual to use options 5 and 6 once or twice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd personally take Harvin over any rookie pick this year. But thinking he's going to push for WR1 overall is probably expecting too much. Seattle isn't going to suddenly start slinging the ball downfield 50 times / game like Detroit.
True but thats not what makes Harvin a threat. A toss out of the backfield or a short crossing route and he's as likely to score as chucking it down the field to him. Thats the beauty, defenses will be busy getting their heads beat in by Lynch and then have to change gears and take perfect angles and good tackles to stop Harvin.

That being said, I don't think he will get the red zone love that a CJ gets, which hurts him some. He's put up #1 WR numbers in the past though, and with worse QBs.

I'd personally take Harvin over any rookie pick this year. But thinking he's going to push for WR1 overall is probably expecting too much. Seattle isn't going to suddenly start slinging the ball downfield 50 times / game like Detroit.
True but thats not what makes Harvin a threat. A toss out of the backfield or a short crossing route and he's as likely to score as chucking it down the field to him. Thats the beauty, defenses will be busy getting their heads beat in by Lynch and then have to change gears and take perfect angles and good tackles to stop Harvin.

That being said, I don't think he will get the red zone love that a CJ gets, which hurts him some. He's put up #1 WR numbers in the past though, and with worse QBs.
Well, yeah. I absolutely expect Harvin a be a FF WR1 in Seattle moving forward if he's healthy. As in a top-12 WR. The dude I was responding to was calling for him to be the #1 FF WR overall, which is, IMO, setting the bar too high for a guy in a run first system.

Given that reasoning, I would rather go all-in on Randall Cobb. Same situation with a better QB and a tendency to need to score more.

Harvin is a one of a handful of fantasy players that can move the needle as much as he does. He can absolutely carry you and he can absolutely sink you.

Lamar Miller might be a nice buy-low right now, after Moreno signed a one year deal in Miami. He's still just 22 (turns 23 in April).
I think so too. I'm not a big fan of his, but he's worth at shot at the prices I expect him to go for now.
What prices we talking, here? I'm pretty close to 100% sure that he lacks the power, vision, and lateral ability to be anything more than a career speed COP guy. As a throw in or a WW pickup, sure, why not. But I wouldn't give up anything remotely valuable for the dude.

Lamar Miller might be a nice buy-low right now, after Moreno signed a one year deal in Miami. He's still just 22 (turns 23 in April).
I think so too. I'm not a big fan of his, but he's worth at shot at the prices I expect him to go for now.
What prices we talking, here? I'm pretty close to 100% sure that he lacks the power, vision, and lateral ability to be anything more than a career speed COP guy. As a throw in or a WW pickup, sure, why not. But I wouldn't give up anything remotely valuable for the dude.
Whenever I watched him play last year he was picking up yards in chunks, 5-10 at a time. granted that was earlier in the season and before the line imploded and his carries fell off. I offered one Coby Fleener who no one will accept anything for (lulz).

My feelings were that he was an early 2nd, in terms of market value. I expect this to push him down to the late 2nd. I share a lot of your concerns about him as a player, and don't expect him to breatkout. But the physical ability is enough for me to gamble on it, at those prices.

My feelings were that he was an early 2nd, in terms of market value. I expect this to push him down to the late 2nd. I share a lot of your concerns about him as a player, and don't expect him to breatkout. But the physical ability is enough for me to gamble on it, at those prices.
I'd say 2nd or 3rd for him... seems like there's people who are completely done with him. If you find an owner who is going to cut bait for that price, I'd be all over it. He's 22 years old and now has a veteran to show him the ropes. I like his potential to turn it around.

Lamar Miller is a cautionary tale about trading for RBs this early in the season. He was offered to me by his owners in a couple leagues at what looked like decent value, but I passed because I had been burned in the past by not waiting until things shook out in free agency and the draft (which turned out to be the correct decision in this instance).

Lamar Miller is a cautionary tale about trading for RBs this early in the season. He was offered to me by his owners in a couple leagues at what looked like decent value, but I passed because I had been burned in the past by not waiting until things shook out in free agency and the draft (which turned out to be the correct decision in this instance).
Depends on if the risk of replacement is built into the deal. Waiting to be sure a player is the starter until after f/a and the draft might mean the player is no longer available or will be more expensive.

Trading Charles for Wilson and Blackmon taught me a lesson. I maintain it was a good idea at the time though.

I doubt most 1.01 owners would trade it for Harvin. The hype is pretty strong on Watkins.
I'd much rather take my chances on a healthy 21 year old Watkins than a 26 year old Harvin.
How about the 1.3 or 1.5? where do you draw that line in the sand?
My question is why does someone want Harvin? Derrick Rose has all the talent of the world in basketball but I would want no part of him because of his knees. Harvin has bad hips and a bad dome, I will pass unless what I am parting with is not substantial.

Trading Charles for Wilson and Blackmon taught me a lesson. I maintain it was a good idea at the time though.
Mine was Charles for Wilson and Harvin. :doh:

Concept Coop said:
Donsmith753 said:
Checked back and I actually got a 4th in the deal. We do a split draft and it became Jordan reed so that helped....

Of course I only needed Reed because I'd traded for Hernandez :doh:

Lott said:
Depends on if the risk of replacement is built into the deal. Waiting to be sure a player is the starter until after f/a and the draft might mean the player is no longer available or will be more expensive.
Personally, I would rather pay more later or not get the player at all due to unavailability than to overpay for a player that is essentially worthless and of little trade value (at least to recoup my investment). Anyone who bought Miller before the Moreno signing now has a player that is not worth much in the 2014 market and is essentially a dead roster space with the best hope being he will reclaim the starting spot in 2015 if Moreno leaves after one year.

Blount to Pittsburgh. Be interesting to see if he puts a dent in Bell's carries.
Blount is a pretty under rated running talent IMO, and I personally wouldn't be too surprised if he ends up being a bit more than just a straight backup. Not that Blount is taking the job or anything, but enough of a chunk to effect Bell is very possible. Twice now Blount has been over 5 YPC on significant carries in two different situations. He's one dimensional, but he's a pretty good power runner.

Concept Coop said:
Donsmith753 said:
I traded Josh Gordon (plus C.Givens and Vereen) for David Wilson and Andre Brown. Awesome.

Lott said:
Personally, I would rather pay more later or not get the player at all due to unavailability than to overpay for a player that is essentially worthless and of little trade value (at least to recoup my investment). Anyone who bought Miller before the Moreno signing now has a player that is not worth much in the 2014 market and is essentially a dead roster space with the best hope being he will reclaim the starting spot in 2015 if Moreno leaves after one year.
Sure, that would have worked out in this case. But most every player has a price that makes him worth acquiring. Would you have given a 5th round rookie pick for L.Miller? Of course. A 1st? Nope. There is a price in the middle somewhere that makes the risk worthwhile.

Concept Coop said:
Donsmith753 said:
I traded Josh Gordon (plus C.Givens and Vereen) for David Wilson and Andre Brown. Awesome.
If we're doing this...Josh Gordon for Dwayne Bowe (pre-Alex Smith signing) and a 2nd.

Concept Coop said:
Donsmith753 said:
If we're doing this...Josh Gordon for Dwayne Bowe (pre-Alex Smith signing) and a 2nd.
Released Josh Gordon to the waiver wire roughly mid-way through his rookie season. The very next week he began to blow up.

Blount to Pittsburgh. Be interesting to see if he puts a dent in Bell's carries.
Thoughts on Ridley?
Should be in line for a significant role if they stand pat at RB. I think he's probably a better runner than Bolden and the Pats haven't shown any interest in making Vereen a workhorse. There should be probably ~250 carries for Ridley again if they don't add a prominent competitor.

VBD guys, any recommendations on how I'd calculate baselines for the following format.

Start 1/1/1/1 and 4 flexes
At this point--it might be best to use a point total as a baseline across all non-QB positions, rather than player spot--RB12, etc.

The biggest change in this format, in my opinion, is not the VBD, but the dynasty specific values--duration, durability, turnover, etc. In start 1 RB leagues--I don't think a RB is worth a first round startup pick. There are only a couple I would think about in the 2nd, after guys like Brandon Marshall and Randall Cobb, even.

I'm not feeling AS bad today.

VBD guys, any recommendations on how I'd calculate baselines for the following format.

Start 1/1/1/1 and 4 flexes
Don I think what Coop suggested above is a good way to look at it.

What you might want to do is look at how many players by position scored the most over the last 3 seasons and how many were above the league average.

You may want to exclude QB from that league average since they are not flex options, and usually score differently than WR/RB/TE.

Another way to look at it would be what players were rostered in your league over the last 3 seasons. This could be a basis for VBD evaluation of worst starter rostered and could help you identify what players can be found more easily on waivers.

OK- I've been trying to wrap my head around the ranking of Percy Harvin for several days now. Guy's been 5 years in the league and never broken 1000 yards. He has one top ten finish in his career, and that was in a year he got a ridiculous number of carries (not likely to ever see that again). His team just spent two relatively high picks on WR's, yet he's #12 for FBG's rankings post draft, and a lot of people seem to value him as a sure-fire fantasy WR1.

The guy has a ton of talent, and I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see him put up a top 10 year, but it seems really silly to value him as a WR1 at this point- TY Hilton, Garcon, and Torrey Smith all have 100 yard seasons and are ranked far behind him.

FIVE seasons- ZERO 1000 yard seasons- NOT a fantasy WR1. Am I missing something??????

OK- I've been trying to wrap my head around the ranking of Percy Harvin for several days now. Guy's been 5 years in the league and never broken 1000 yards. He has one top ten finish in his career, and that was in a year he got a ridiculous number of carries (not likely to ever see that again). His team just spent two relatively high picks on WR's, yet he's #12 for FBG's rankings post draft, and a lot of people seem to value him as a sure-fire fantasy WR1.

The guy has a ton of talent, and I certainly wouldn't be shocked to see him put up a top 10 year, but it seems really silly to value him as a WR1 at this point- TY Hilton, Garcon, and Torrey Smith all have 100 yard seasons and are ranked far behind him.

FIVE seasons- ZERO 1000 yard seasons- NOT a fantasy WR1. Am I missing something??????
I think he is definitely a wild card and you have to worry about his health. He's not a lock for WR2 numbers, much less WR1.

I am pretty confident though that what you are "missing" is that at the halfway point of the 2012 season, he was the overall #1 fantasy WR.

He had 60 catches for 667 yards in 8 games. Plus another 80 rushing yards. He was ahead of the entire pack in the NFL. He was on pace for 120 catches and 1500 total yards.

He got hurt during week 9 and hasn't played since (except the Super Bowl, where he looked good). But those 8 games were the last we saw of him and he was definitely a WR1 then.

Other people are looking at those numbers and seeing real upside that doesn't show up if you only look at the season totals like you are doing.

Also, he's only 25 years old right now and missed last season and half of his 24 year old season in 2012, so it's not like his having a career year would be all that surprising. In fact, if he stays healthy, it is a pretty safe bet that he'll have a career year.

He broke out about halfway through his 3rd professional season -- the last 8 games of 2011 he was the #1 overall fantasy WR. Then the first 8 games of 2012 he was the #2 overall WR. Since then he's been hurt -- but no question he played like not just a FF WR1 for that 16 game stretch, but like a true difference making beast -- and did in in a run based system with crappy offensive coaching and worse QB play. Plus, Seattle is smart. They paid multiple 1st round picks to trade for Harvin, then made him one of the highest paid WRs in the NFL. They obviously see him as one of the very best WRs in the NFL.

Where you rank Harvin depends on how much you personally weigh the "injury proneness" risk, and he's been hurt for a while now. I don't put a ton of weight on my ability to predict injury, so IMO FBG's WR12 ranking is actually too low.

I value Harvin a lot because I care more about PPG than total stats. In the games when anyone would be starting him, he is very productive. When he is banged up or out, obviously not. In most leagues, even dynasty, it's not that hard to find a replacement level filler on the other weeks. I am not sure if Harvin is a good bet to finish top10, but Harvin + replacement on his hurt weeks might average out to a WR1 as long as he doesn't miss basically the whole year again.

I understand all of that. If we were looking solely at season stats, he wouldn't break the top 25 or 30 WR's, and I'm certainly not advocating dropping him down into that territory. But I've seen some folks treating him as if he's already a perrenial top 10, and that just seems a bit too high to me. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread