Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Fear & Loathing

Dynasty Rankings

Another thanks for the Bryant post, although where Parcells is concerned, I believe in "conspiracy theories" - he goes and gets "his guys" from other player and plays them a lot based on his track record. Parcells, although convenes with himself to do it, so there's no co-conspirator.

Look at Miami:

Thomas & Taylor among others gone - not his guys, old regime.

Pennington & Fasano in, plus the coach and probably others.

Another thanks for the Bryant post, although where Parcells is concerned, I believe in "conspiracy theories" - he goes and gets "his guys" from other player and plays them a lot based on his track record. Parcells, although convenes with himself to do it, so there's no co-conspirator.Look at Miami: Thomas & Taylor among others gone - not his guys, old regime.Pennington & Fasano in, plus the coach and probably others.

That's not a conspiracy; it's fact. Parcells does bring in his own guys. He brought in Keyshawn because he knew Keyshawn was a good, reliable wide receiver -- and Keyshawn did turn out to be the Cowboys' best receiver in 2004. Bryant's own position coach said that an obviously immature Bryant was "distracted" and undependable. Bryant would rather believe that he was the better player but that unfairness had kept him from playing. I do think Bryant was more talented than Keyshawn in 2004, but I don't believe he was a better football player. And I certainly don't believe that Bill Parcells is in the business of benching great football players in favor of lesser ones. He's going to play the guys that give him the best chance to win. Antonio Bryant just wears out his welcome wherever he goes.

Hey F + L.Long time reader, not sure if I've replied yet.In any case, I'm surprised you aren't higher on Matt Ryan from a dynasty perspective. I know you dont get immediately sold on young QB's, but I really like what he's shown so far. He has struggled against top defenses (TB + Car), but as an owner, I am very excited about his potential.I'm not sure where you will have him after this week, but as a dynasty owner with solid options for this year, I would not trade him for Edwards, Hasselbeck, Warner, Garrard, or Schaub straight up.By the way, I used your rankings after week 2 to trade Scheffler + Evans (and a midround draft pick) for MJD + CooleyThanks for all you do.

:thumbup: For a guy who's been here 5 years and is probably more inclined to read than to speak out, this was a great call. Nicely done, mulliganm. You deserve some kudos for vision. That's how it's done.

F&L: I know it's way early, but how do you feel about keeping Portis (in lieu of a 1st rd pick) in a league where all RBs in your top 20 are already keepers? I'm asking in regards to your analysis about him. TIA.

Whiplash,How many keepers per owner? My initial reaction is that Portis will be a poor bet in '09 after receiving such a heavy workload while playing through injuries to multiple body parts.

F&L: I know it's way early, but how do you feel about keeping Portis (in lieu of a 1st rd pick) in a league where all RBs in your top 20 are already keepers? I'm asking in regards to your analysis about him. TIA.

Whiplash,How many keepers per owner? My initial reaction is that Portis will be a poor bet in '09 after receiving such a heavy workload while playing through injuries to multiple body parts.
Like his previous 4-5 yrs? Just saying, I know Portis will eventually break down, but he's the kind of RB that is built to handle the workload and continues on despite that, a la Curtis Martin, Emmitt, LT. He's still only 27 despite the "miles".

I didn't see the Oakland game. Any reports on how McFadden looked? Any hints on how he may be used going forward? Seems like a Reggie Bush-like role, which would be good for PPR leagues, not so much in others. Of course, everything is subject to a possible new coach.

As a keeper who do you think is more productive next year and going forward.

LT or CJ3?

Edited by eddie077

As a keeper who do you think is more productive next year and going forward.LT or CJ3?

CJ3 and it's not as close as you think.

As a keeper who do you think is more productive next year and going forward.LT or CJ3?

Any chance TEN trades Lendale in the offseason? He's got 14TD's (so far) and averaging 3.93 yards a carry. He'll be a free agent after next year so they might be able to get something pretty good for him this offseason. Being a CJ3 owner, I'd love to see this happen - I could see him being the 2nd best RB behind ADP for years to come if he got all the carries and goal line

Any chance TEN trades Lendale in the offseason? He's got 14TD's (so far) and averaging 3.93 yards a carry. He'll be a free agent after next year so they might be able to get something pretty good for him this offseason. Being a CJ3 owner, I'd love to see this happen - I could see him being the 2nd best RB behind ADP for years to come if he got all the carries and goal line
I don't see LenDale as someone NFL teams would be interested in giving anything significant up for. I also don't think TEN would be interested in trading him for anything less than something significant. If it ain't broke, don't fix it....even if it hurts thousands of fantasy teams, lol.

I don't see LenDale as someone NFL teams would be interested in giving anything significant up for. I also don't think TEN would be interested in trading him for anything less than something significant. If it ain't broke, don't fix it....even if it hurts thousands of fantasy teams, lol.
Agreed, White is nothing more than a role player, and that role happens to fit with the Titans pretty well.

I didn't see the Oakland game. Any reports on how McFadden looked? Any hints on how he may be used going forward? Seems like a Reggie Bush-like role, which would be good for PPR leagues, not so much in others. Of course, everything is subject to a possible new coach.

Like him or not, Mcfadden is more RB than WR, unlike Bush. I think the Raiders are using him sparingly due to his turf toe issues. I have little doubt he will be given a shot as a full time back next year.

He looked good, but you have to keep in mind who he was playing against...aka a defense that made Leonard Weaver look like Barry Sanders.

Its not close at all.I'd honestly turn down LT and a 1st rounder for CJ3.

Well said. LT's value ends much sooner, barring injury.

Agreed, LT has very little dynasty value left. CJ is probaby a top 5 dynasty RB, and LT has fallen out of the top 20 RB's.

What are players like Addai, LT, Jonathan Stewart, Mendenahall fetching in deals?

What are players like Addai, LT, Jonathan Stewart, Mendenahall fetching in deals?

I havnt seen any of those guys traded recently, but here is where i see their current value.Unless Switz is in your league, you wont get much for Addai. Im thinking if you could get a good young WR, i would take that quickly. However, i cant see anyone trading Dwayne Bowe, or Colston for Addai, so you might be stuck with him.Stewart is a top 10-12 RB talent, unfortunately, he has another top 10-12 RB on his team. That might actually benefit someone trying to aquire him, as the current owner may a bit down on him and his future prospects. I do think he will eventually get an opportunity to be a featured back, so if you can get him for an aging vet that still has some value, i would take it.LT is finished, although he might fetch something based on name power. I would get rid of him for draft pick(s), or maybe a young RB like Stewart or Mcfadden, although that might be a tough sell.I am not a big fan on Mendenhall, but he could be had for peanuts. You could probaby get him for a late first rookie pick, but i wouldnt give anything more than that. Edited by Burning Sensation

Unless Switz is in your league, you wont get much for Addai.
:goodposting:Turner got 2 receptions last night...anybody else think this is a possible sign of things to come? He didn't look amazing catching the ball but he looked as though it's something he's entirely capable of. If this team starts throwing him a few catches per game he should surely be jumping into the top tier of these rankings or darn close to it.

Like his previous 4-5 yrs? Just saying, I know Portis will eventually break down, but he's the kind of RB that is built to handle the workload and continues on despite that, a la Curtis Martin, Emmitt, LT. He's still only 27 despite the "miles".
Portis is tough as nails, but I don't feel comfortable with his workload and banged up body . . . so I have a hard time recommending him if I don't feel comfortable with his 2009 season. His last three games say that he might not be as indestructible as you're making him out to be.

Turner got 2 receptions last night...anybody else think this is a possible sign of things to come? He didn't look amazing catching the ball but he looked as though it's something he's entirely capable of. If this team starts throwing him a few catches per game he should surely be jumping into the top tier of these rankings or darn close to it.

He's now all the way up to 6 receptions on the season. I wouldn't expect him to catch a pass the rest of the year. He's never even targeted in the passing game.

1 veteran keeper in lieu of a 1st rd pick and up to 3 rookie keepers, in lieu of a late round pick. Rookie keepers (RK) are players that have been either drafted by an owner when they came out of college or acquired in a trade from the owner that drafted them. Once released they lose their RK status.For example, one owner in my league drafted AD and Calvin when they came out and traded for SJax who was still kept by the original owner. He can keep those 3 players next year in lieu of his 15th, 16th and 17th round picks and still have his 1st round pick as well. I have Portis and Steve Smith (Car) as my potential veteran keepers (either one) and DeSean Jackson and Sidney Rice as my potential RKs. :goodposting: It's a bit complicated, but adds a lot more to our league IMHO.

He looked good, but you have to keep in mind who he was playing against...aka a defense that made Leonard Weaver look like Barry Sanders.
That's right. The Pats have lost a lot of players on defense and are playing a surfer at inside linebacker for significant minutes; and to think the New York media had the J-E-T-S, Jets, Jets, Jets going to the Super Bowl after beating them in OT!!!

On the other hand McFadden is playing behind a really poor offensive (Merriam Webster's 2nd definition: giving painful or unpleasant sensations ) line, the coaching staff is in disarray and the team lacks any kind of discipline or cohesiveness. You can't blame that on McFadden. He is hurt by his situation he is playing under.

1 veteran keeper in lieu of a 1st rd pick and up to 3 rookie keepers, in lieu of a late round pick. Rookie keepers (RK) are players that have been either drafted by an owner when they came out of college or acquired in a trade from the owner that drafted them. Once released they lose their RK status.For example, one owner in my league drafted AD and Calvin when they came out and traded for SJax who was still kept by the original owner. He can keep those 3 players next year in lieu of his 15th, 16th and 17th round picks and still have his 1st round pick as well. I have Portis and Steve Smith (Car) as my potential veteran keepers (either one) and DeSean Jackson and Sidney Rice as my potential RKs. :rolleyes: It's a bit complicated, but adds a lot more to our league IMHO.
I would say you need to mock out all three possible scenerios. 1. Keep Portis2. Keep Smith3. Keep nobodyProject what you think the other owners will do and mock out the 3-5 rounds of your draft in each of the above scenerios. Then do which ever one gives you the best team.

How do you guys feel about Antonio Bryant's long-term outlook?

On one hand, I have him as a "Riser" on this week's Dynasty Stock Report. He's a free agent after the season, but he certainly seems like a good bet to be brought back as the No. 1 in Gruden's offense. On the other hand, he's established himself as a WR3 for fantasy leaguers. One of my tenets in Dynasty leagues is to move WR3s as soon as they establish themselves as such. I want my WR nucleus to consist of only WR1s & WR2s heading into next season. Then I round out my depth with WRs that have the potential to be WR1s & WR2s.
That was a truly impressive performance against Carolina. Maybe Bryant is more of a WR2 afterall, but I have a hard time getting past the fact that his knucklehead potential is off the charts. He's definitely not a guy that screams "stability" to me.
I used to do a FF radio show, and the co-host I worked with had interviewed Bryant. He said that Bryant is absolutely nuts. Just an FYI. I know you tend to shy away from head cases, and Bryant sounds a bit whacko. Edited by jdoggydogg

Dynasty guys...

After one season, who do you think will have more fantasy success Felix Jones or Kevin Smith?

Any thoughts on Roy Williams ever living up to the hype?

Dynasty guys...After one season, who do you think will have more fantasy success Felix Jones or Kevin Smith? Any thoughts on Roy Williams ever living up to the hype?

Depends on how badly you need the RB in my opinion. If you need a guy to start every week than Smith probably has more value. If you can afford to wait a little while, I believe Jones is a far superior talent. Of course Jones has to deal with Barber and Choice right now, but on the flip side, I have no idea what Detroit will look like by the start of next season. Outside of Calvin I'm not sure anyone's job is safe.As for Roy, I've never been a fan, but I'm sure there are people who think he'll replace TO as Romo's WR1 in the next year or 2. I'd say he's either a hold until he has a good game, or a sell if someone believes TO will be gone next year. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to get him.

F&L or anybody else have any idea what Baltimore will do with Ray Rice next year. Thought early in the season that he might be the next good RB for them. Lately though I get the idea they will always be hard to figure out as I don't think LeRon is going anywhere. Also, not so sure I agree with everyone that McGahee is done after this year as I seem to remember that the Ravens will take a big cap hit to cut him.

Thanks.

Edited by waybackwhen

F&L or anybody else have any idea what Baltimore will do with Ray Rice next year. Thought early in the season that he might be the next good RB for them. Lately though I get the idea they will always be hard to figure out as I don't think LeRon is going anywhere. Also, not so sure I agree with everyone that McGahee is done after this year as I seem to remember that the Ravens will take a big cap hit to cut him.Thanks.

IIRC, McGahee is a good candidate for a pink slip after the 2009 season. He'll be relatively penalty-free to cut after 2009, but maybe the Ravens are just tired of paying him for nothing and Willis has possibly worn out his welcome with the new coaching staff who Willis has not exactly endeared himself to. If Willis is not gone this offseason, he certainly will be following 2009 unless he has a big comeback season. Ray Rice, IMO is a talent worth waiting two years for. If we only have to wait for one year on him, I consider it a bonus.

Any thoughts on Will Franklin, WR KC? I picked him up towards the end of last year's rookie draft and kept him on my bench all season, but Im thinking of cutting bait this offseason. He did virtually nothing despite KC switch to the spread offense with Thigpen.

Any reason I should keep him around?

F&L, In my 5 keeper TD heavy, non ppr, Im facing the decision to keep Grant or KSmith to pair with ADP by the probowl. I will go RB at pick 6 and will be throwing back PThomas and WParker so along with rooks and some vets that pick will land a decent RB. Trades are happening but I dont have any decent deals on the table. I tend to "stack the deck" each year by throwing back RBs to ensure my pick is quality.

Grant and Smith have produced well in the 2nd half and I like both of them as a #2. At pick 6 I will be drafting RB to compete for my #2 slot as well.

Does Smith's youth counter Grant's better offense enough to keep him? What about a deal to land SJax involving KSmith who the SJax owner likes?

Much will be going down at our GM meeting on MLK weekend. (a great thing for friend leagues, highly recommended)

Great thread and great blog!

F&L or Shark Pool:

Now that Singletary will be the coach headed to next season for the 49ers and Martz looking like he is on his way out the door what value does Vernon Davis hold?

Do you think that he will he finially get a chance to prove that he can produce now that Martz and his TE-less offense will be gone? Or, do you see VD headed to the locker room verbally form Singletary more often than not during gametime?

F&L, In my 5 keeper TD heavy, non ppr, Im facing the decision to keep Grant or KSmith to pair with ADP by the probowl. I will go RB at pick 6 and will be throwing back PThomas and WParker so along with rooks and some vets that pick will land a decent RB. Trades are happening but I dont have any decent deals on the table. I tend to "stack the deck" each year by throwing back RBs to ensure my pick is quality.Grant and Smith have produced well in the 2nd half and I like both of them as a #2. At pick 6 I will be drafting RB to compete for my #2 slot as well.Does Smith's youth counter Grant's better offense enough to keep him? What about a deal to land SJax involving KSmith who the SJax owner likes?Much will be going down at our GM meeting on MLK weekend. (a great thing for friend leagues, highly recommended)Great thread and great blog!

Can you keep Thomas? I'd probably prefer him to Smith or Grant.

F&L or Shark Pool:Now that Singletary will be the coach headed to next season for the 49ers and Martz looking like he is on his way out the door what value does Vernon Davis hold?Do you think that he will he finially get a chance to prove that he can produce now that Martz and his TE-less offense will be gone? Or, do you see VD headed to the locker room verbally form Singletary more often than not during gametime?

My thoughts are that Davis did not do much before Martz arrived. Martz was not the problem. Davis has a world of talent but I still put little faith in him.

F&L or Shark Pool:Now that Singletary will be the coach headed to next season for the 49ers and Martz looking like he is on his way out the door what value does Vernon Davis hold?Do you think that he will he finially get a chance to prove that he can produce now that Martz and his TE-less offense will be gone? Or, do you see VD headed to the locker room verbally form Singletary more often than not during gametime?

Who says he hasn't already gotten a chance to produce? He's been in the league for three years and his production has never been better than mediocre. I watch some of the 9er games and I can tell you that he comes across as a massive idiot. Inflated opinion of his own abilities. Celebrates excessively after minor plays. Freddie Mitchell in a TE's body.I still think he can become a useful Randy McMichael type TE, but I'll be surprised if he ever joins the elite ranks. He's a better athlete than football player and his mental shortcomings present a constant problem.

F&L, In my 5 keeper TD heavy, non ppr, Im facing the decision to keep Grant or KSmith to pair with ADP by the probowl. I will go RB at pick 6 and will be throwing back PThomas and WParker so along with rooks and some vets that pick will land a decent RB. Trades are happening but I dont have any decent deals on the table. I tend to "stack the deck" each year by throwing back RBs to ensure my pick is quality.Grant and Smith have produced well in the 2nd half and I like both of them as a #2. At pick 6 I will be drafting RB to compete for my #2 slot as well.Does Smith's youth counter Grant's better offense enough to keep him? What about a deal to land SJax involving KSmith who the SJax owner likes?Much will be going down at our GM meeting on MLK weekend. (a great thing for friend leagues, highly recommended)Great thread and great blog!

Smith produced and improved behind a below average O Line. It would be hard for the Lions to not improve in the coming years. But a new coach may draft his own guy. Thomas has produced in 2007 and 2008. He has increased his chances of being the main guy next year.Both Smith and Thomas look like they are better in the passing game. But since its non ppr this factor weighs less. Grant has had a poor year ypc compared to 2008 so what is the reason? Will he have more competition next year? I'd rank Grant below Smith and Thomas. For a dynasty I'd prefer Smith over SJax.

Who says he hasn't already gotten a chance to produce? He's been in the league for three years and his production has never been better than mediocre. I watch some of the 9er games and I can tell you that he comes across as a massive idiot. Inflated opinion of his own abilities. Celebrates excessively after minor plays. Freddie Mitchell in a TE's body.I still think he can become a useful Randy McMichael type TE, but I'll be surprised if he ever joins the elite ranks. He's a better athlete than football player and his mental shortcomings present a constant problem.
I dont want to make excuses for Vernon Davis, but everyone knows he was severely underutilized this year.His rookie year, 42 targets, 20 rec, 3 TDssecond year, 84 targets, 52 rec (60% catch rate), 4 TDs.3rd year, and under Martz, thru 14 games, 46 targets, 28 rec, 2 TDsIn order to produce fantasy numbers, you'd have to have the opportunity and Vernon DIDN"T have that this year with Martz. Is it because this guy has no clue running routes? Or is Martz offense just as a lot of folks mentioned before, just doesn't utilize the TE enough? I say it's the latter. Give him an offensive coordinator who's TE friendly, and we'll see what he can do. Til then, i'm not quite ready to say Vernon is a bust.

Vernon Davis doesn't have the right mindset to be an elite TE. If Singletary can change that then more power to him but as a Niners fan I'll believe it when I see it.

ETA Vernon is Charmin soft. If he sees a hit coming he'll often drop the pass. If he hears footsteps he'll alligator arm the ball.

Pure talent? He's a monster. But he's just not able to put talent together with smarts. He isn't known as a guy who studies the playbook, he fights his own team and he's just an outright bust. He was a terrible pick when they drafted him and he hasn't improved much.

If had shown consistent glimpses of talent then I wouldn't be writing him off so early, as several studies here from fbg's have shown TE's generally take 3 or so years before they become good fantasy options. But I can't say this enough times - his head doesn't match his physical talent.

Edited by AnonymousBob

Great Thread!

Folks are coming hard for KSmith. PThomas might be the hardest sell. Grant is carrying a semi interest.

But I can't say this enough times - his head doesn't match his physical talent.

Yep. He's 100% clown. Freddie Mitchell in a TE's body is actually a pretty accurate way to describe VD. I do think he can become a middling FF option like McMichael or Scheffler, but he's basically Daniel Graham with more hype. He looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane who thinks she plays like Tarzan.

Hey F&L and/or Shark Pool,

I see you have DWill at #10 on he RB list. Do you see him moving up at all based on his strong 2nd half surge? I'm in a keep 2 PPR league (no draft picks lost, no limit on how long you can keep a guy) and have to pair ADP with either Chris Johnson (ranked 5 on your list) or DWill. Up until a few weeks ago, I thought Johnson was a slam dunk as my 2nd keeper. I'm not so sure now. Lendale appears less of a threat to CJ than Stewart is to DWill, but Tennessee's vanilla offensive game planning makes me want to pull my hair out of my head sometimes. Why they don't throw more screens to CJ and get him out in space is beyond me. I guess Stewart hogging carries is also frustrating, but Tenn doesn't utilize CJ's full potential, and it's utterly maddening. Any insight is appreciated.

Great Thread!Folks are coming hard for KSmith. PThomas might be the hardest sell. Grant is carrying a semi interest.

When the trading gates opened, I had two offers (different owners) for Pierre Thomas within hours. They are lowballing but the offers are there.

Any thoughts on Will Franklin, WR KC? I picked him up towards the end of last year's rookie draft and kept him on my bench all season, but Im thinking of cutting bait this offseason. He did virtually nothing despite KC switch to the spread offense with Thigpen.Any reason I should keep him around?

pity bump

Thoughts on Davone Bess and Domenik Hixon. I have been impressed with the number of targets that both are getting. I sense that Miami's offense will never be elite, so Bess's upside is as a consistent WR2. Hixon seems like he can take Burress' place, though he's not nearly as skilled. I see WR1 upside, though more likely a top end WR2. Seems like both can be drafted next season as WR4s.

when's the next positional ranking update happening? last was on Dec 11th and I can't imagine a few of the RB have changed.

Yep. He's 100% clown. Freddie Mitchell in a TE's body is actually a pretty accurate way to describe VD. I do think he can become a middling FF option like McMichael or Scheffler, but he's basically Daniel Graham with more hype. He looks like Tarzan and plays like Jane who thinks she plays like Tarzan.
I've heard he's actually a good blocker - which I find odd as there's usually a "lunchpail" type mentality to that, unless he can simply physically dominate guys on the line. That's the main reason I have some hope for him to develop into a startable TE at this point, if he can block well, he will stay on the field. He's failed to live up to the hype, though - and it's not close.

Thoughts on Davone Bess and Domenik Hixon. I have been impressed with the number of targets that both are getting. I sense that Miami's offense will never be elite, so Bess's upside is as a consistent WR2. Hixon seems like he can take Burress' place, though he's not nearly as skilled. I see WR1 upside, though more likely a top end WR2. Seems like both can be drafted next season as WR4s.

Plax won't be back, so there's an opportunity for Hixon, and I think more of his opportunity than Bess - Miami has a number of guys who could step up and be the #1, and they might draft a WR themselves, plus you have a more TE-friendly system in Miami.

I've heard he's actually a good blocker - which I find odd as there's usually a "lunchpail" type mentality to that, unless he can simply physically dominate guys on the line. That's the main reason I have some hope for him to develop into a startable TE at this point, if he can block well, he will stay on the field. He's failed to live up to the hype, though - and it's not close.
EBF got it right - he's Daniel Graham. Vernon is a good blocker. I'm sure he'll at some point develop into a startable TE. Look at what he did in 2007. But an elite option? Ehh...I'm skeptical. He's not quite FredEx as he does actually have loads of talent but until he can pull his oversized head out of his ### he'll never sniff the ranks of the elite.

when's the next positional ranking update happening? last was on Dec 11th and I can't imagine a few of the RB have changed.

Sorry for the lack of updates recently. I've been traveling for the holidays and buried in end of the season Rotoworld work. Tonight will be my first free night in weeks, so I hope to get the blog back up and running to normal standards. Give me a day or two, and things should be back to full speed. Thanks for your patience.I'm hoping to also chime in on a few of the questions hanging out there in this thread too.