What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL *** Baseball Offseason Moves (2006-07)... (1 Viewer)

Footballguy
IMPORTANT DATES

Nov. 2-8: MLB-Japan All-Star Series

Nov. 13-17: General Managers meeting, Naples, Fla.

Nov. 16: Owners meeting, Chicago

Dec. 1: Last day for teams to offer salary arbitration to their players who became free agents.

Dec. 4-7: Winter Meetings, Orlando, Fla.

Dec. 4-8: MLBPA executive board meeting, Bonita Springs, Fla.

Dec. 7: Last day for free agents offered salary arbitration to accept or reject the offers.

Dec. 12: Last day for teams to tender 2007 contracts to unsigned players.

Jan. 5-15: Salary arbitration filing period.

Jan. 18: Exchange of salary arbitration figures.

Feb. 1-21: Salary arbitration hearings.

Feb. 15: Voluntary reporting date for pitchers and catchers.

Feb. 20: Voluntary reporting date for position players.

Feb. 27: Mandatory reporting date for all players.

March 2-11: Period when teams may renew contracts of unsigned players.

March 28: Last day to request unconditional release waivers on a player without having to pay player's 2007 salary.

April 1: Opening Day.

IMPORTANT DATES

Dec. 1: Last day for teams to offer salary arbitration to their players who became free agents.

Dec. 7: Last day for free agents offered salary arbitration to accept or reject the offers.

March 28: Last day to request unconditional release waivers on a player without having to pay player's 2007 salary.

who's managing the MLB Japan team? It was Macha...he got fired. It was Francona....he backed out for medical reasons.

Who's going to pick up Bonds? I would be all over him if I was an American League team needing a big bat to put me into contention. Dude has 2 good years left in him as a DH. I know that the fans wouldn't like the move at first...but I'll bet they'd come around when he's got a .450+ OBP and gives the hitters around him RBI's hand over fist.

Who's going to pick up Bonds? I would be all over him if I was an American League team needing a big bat to put me into contention. Dude has 2 good years left in him as a DH. I know that the fans wouldn't like the move at first...but I'll bet they'd come around when he's got a .450+ OBP and gives the hitters around him RBI's hand over fist.
With what he is probably wanting, not many teams will be able to afford him, so that probably leaves him in Yankee pinstripes... But I would be really surprised if he is in the NL next year...

IMPORTANT DATES

who's managing the MLB Japan team? It was Macha...he got fired. It was Francona....he backed out for medical reasons.
Pretty sure it is Bochy - which is why MLB let the Giants announce the hiring during the World Series.

With what he is probably wanting, not many teams will be able to afford him, so that probably leaves him in Yankee pinstripes... But I would be really surprised if he is in the NL next year...
I'm not so sure his demands are going to be that high. I'm betting he can be had for 3 years, $40 million. There are 5 teams I can think of that would be wise to make that move and just punt the 3rd year of that contract.

IMPORTANT DATES

Bruce Bochy

IMPORTANT DATES

Bruce Bochy
Good choice.

I'm not so sure his demands are going to be that high. I'm betting he can be had for 3 years, $40 million. There are 5 teams I can think of that would be wise to make that move and just punt the 3rd year of that contract.
They say that Detroit's Leyland & Bonds are pretty tight, not sure if he would like that big of a park though.

The World Series is over, players are starting to file for free agency, the weather's getting colder. Time to stoke up the pot belly stove and settle in on the cracker barrels with some hot cider and cheddar for the winter and talk of how the 2007 season is going to be different for your team.

Whats anybody hearing very early in the process?

As a disillusioned Cubs fan, I'm confident the following things will happen:

1. We will overspend for a so-called coveted free agent (i.e. Soriano, C. Lee) who will be an albatross, salary-wise, around our neck in 2 years as he ages and becomes one-dimensional.

2. We will sign a couple of second-tier retread starting pitchers (i.e. Padilla, et al) who will be no better than if we continued to let some of our young kids develop (i.e. Marshall, Marmol)

3. Lou P. will be somewhat fiery, which will be a nice change for a while after the somnambulistic piccadilloes of Johnny B. Baker, but it will only be so much noise without better talent to win with.

4. Felix Pie will be the next in a long line of overhyped Cubs uberprospects (i.e. Gary Scott, Kevin Orie, Pat Cline, Nic Jackson, Corey Patterson, shall I go on...) who never does much of anything in the majors.

5. It will all, somehow, be Steve Stone's fault.

It appears Aramis Ramirez will opt out of his contract with the Cubs and become a free agent. He'll be one of the most coveted players this off-season.

Phillies are prepared to offer Soriano 5 years 80 million on Nov 12th. He reportedly wants a Beltran type contact (which was for 110)

Juan Encarnacion was the only Cardinals player absent from the World Series parade and celebration in St. Louis. Tony LaRussa led the media to believe that he was "sulking" about his lack of playing time in the World Series. I'd expect him to be on the trading block soon. He's under contract for two more seasons.

I miss BBT. :cry: Hoss.......Pickles........arble........ HELP!
Are you playing in the NCOFB this year?
Yeah, my buddy and I had a decent showing last season as rookies, so we feel pretty good about going back next year and giving it a shot.
Jethro, Cappy, Zilla and I are forming a team as well for New York :thumbup:
O RLY?We went to Tampa last season and had a really good time. We are considering going to one of the other 3 locations this year just to be different. NYC is a possibility if we can find affordable airfare and acomodations.Edit to add: We should set up a strategy thread in the upcoming months to share some ideas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tigers are reportedly interested in Texeria. Rumor of them offering Bonderman and Minor for Tex and a C prospect.

According to CNN/SI the Red Sox are going to make a big push for Julio Lugo.

Barry Zito

Greg Maddux

Jeff Weaver

Sean Casey

Eric Gagne - provisional (12M team option with 1M buyout)

All filed for free agency, Twins pick up option on Carlos Silva.

Barry ZitoGreg MadduxJeff WeaverSean CaseyEric Gagne - provisional (12M team option with 1M buyout)All filed for free agency, Twins pick up option on Carlos Silva.
Zito is going to make a TON of money with the garbage that makes up the free agent pitching pool this off-season.

From a Daily Herald Article.

(Ramirez) may be holding out for $15 million a year over six years.

Hendry reported no new progress with third baseman Aramis Ramirez on Tuesday, one day after Ramirez filed for free agency and opted out of the final two years of his contract, which would have paid him a guaranteed $22.5 million. There also is a mutual option for 2009 that would pay him $11 million.

The Cubs may offer a deal worth about $14 million a year for five years. That gap hardly is insurmountable, and the two sides have plenty of time to make a deal. Other clubs are not allowed to negotiate with or sign Ramirez until Nov. 12.

Hendry is looking at other big-name and big-ticket players, and a player payroll of up to $115 million for 2007 may help him land a hitter and maybe a couple of pitchers.

Washington Nationals outfielder and former second baseman Alfonso Soriano reportedly is looking for a seven-year deal worth upward of $119 million. That would be in the same neighborhood with the contract center fielder Carlos Beltran got from the Mets, who outbid the Cubs in the winter of 2004-05.

Soriano appears to be Hendry’s top free-agent target, and Cubs sources Tuesday expressed little surprise that the hard-hitting Soriano’s opening price checked in that high.

The same insiders also claimed the Cubs are not pursuing disgruntled Yankees slugger Gary Sheffield as hotly as has been reported. Nevertheless, Hendry will do his “due diligence” and talk with Yankees GM Brian Cashman about Sheffield, who has one year and $13 million (with $4.5 million deferred) left on his deal if the Yankees exercise their option, which they’re expected to do.

Sheffield would rather become a free agent, but the Yankees aren’t about to let that happen, especially when they can get something (perhaps young pitching) in return.

New York Newsday reported Tuesday that the Cubs and Phillies “are believed to be the most aggressive in pursuit of Sheffield,” but a Cubs source said things haven’t moved that far that fast yet.

Tigers are reportedly interested in Teixeira. Rumor of them offering Bonderman and Minor for Tex and a C prospect.

According to CNN/SI the Red Sox are going to make a big push for Julio Lugo.
Fixed.And that would be horrible.

look for kenny williams of the white sox, to make a push for carl crawford of tampa bay. one of the sox most glaring needs is a leftfielder/leadoff hitter, and crawford is a stud playing in nowhere land right now. it would likely cost the sox a starter, possibly brandon mccarthy, and a top prospect like ryan sweeney or josh fields to snag crawford. the price would be worth paying considering crawford is locked up for two more yrs at 4 mil and 5 mil, then a team option the next two yrs at a total of 18 mil. these numbers are a silly bargain if crawford continues to produce as he has. i say offer the rays a starter (mccarthy only if necesary) and ryan sweeney (the rays dont need a third base prospect, and the sox would be wise to keep fields in the fold with crede having back issues), as well as another lower level prospect for crawford.

anyone else thoughts on this scenario. also, if the sox cant get this done, look for dave roberts on the southside.

Chicago Tribune - Heilman on Cubs' Radar

Also mentions that Hendry will look at the Japanese market for pitchers. Zambrano and Hill are the only certainties at this point. Wade Miller should be re-signed as a third starter. Prior will be back but probably won't be counted on.

Also, the Cubs declined a 13.5M option on Kerry Wood, who filed for free agency. But an incentive laden deal with the Cubs is probably the story here.

The White Sox appear to be trying to trade a starter to make room for McCarthy in the rotation. Speculation is it will be Buehrle or Garcia.

They hope to improve the bullpen.

Crawford or Roberts sound like viable plans for the leadoff spot. Go Sox

look for kenny williams of the white sox, to make a push for carl crawford of tampa bay. one of the sox most glaring needs is a leftfielder/leadoff hitter, and crawford is a stud playing in nowhere land right now. it would likely cost the sox a starter, possibly brandon mccarthy, and a top prospect like ryan sweeney or josh fields to snag crawford. the price would be worth paying considering crawford is locked up for two more yrs at 4 mil and 5 mil, then a team option the next two yrs at a total of 18 mil. these numbers are a silly bargain if crawford continues to produce as he has. i say offer the rays a starter (mccarthy only if necesary) and ryan sweeney (the rays dont need a third base prospect, and the sox would be wise to keep fields in the fold with crede having back issues), as well as another lower level prospect for crawford.anyone else thoughts on this scenario. also, if the sox cant get this done, look for dave roberts on the southside.
I can assure you that Carl Crawford will cost more than just "a starter." It will take McCarthy, stud prospect, and probably another MLB level arm before the Rays let go of their franchise player that is locked up for years to come.

Jeff Suppan is on the fast track to being the "Middle-aged pitcher the Yankees will severely overpay for and regret it within a year" guy.

Liriano to Have Major Elbow Surgery, Likely to Miss Next Year

http://sports.iwon.com/news/11032006/v5385.html

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -Minnesota Twins pitching sensation Francisco Liriano will have major surgery on his left elbow and is likely to miss the 2007 season.

Liriano, who went 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA as a rookie, will have Tommy John surgery on Monday in California, the team said Friday.

The ligament transplant procedure usually takes at least a year for recovery.

Liriano pitched only six innings over the final two months because of pain in his left elbow. With veteran Brad Radke expected to retire, the AL Central champions will need help to bolster their rotation.

Liriano to Have Major Elbow Surgery, Likely to Miss Next Year

http://sports.iwon.com/news/11032006/v5385.html

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) -Minnesota Twins pitching sensation Francisco Liriano will have major surgery on his left elbow and is likely to miss the 2007 season.

Liriano, who went 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA as a rookie, will have Tommy John surgery on Monday in California, the team said Friday.

The ligament transplant procedure usually takes at least a year for recovery.

Liriano pitched only six innings over the final two months because of pain in his left elbow. With veteran Brad Radke expected to retire, the AL Central champions will need help to bolster their rotation.
"ouch"Number one guy on my "look to get at low price to keep long term guy". Of course the last guy I did that for was Rocco Balldelli for a buck, and I still haven't got my money's worth for him.

NEW YORK — Major-league teams wishing to sign Japanese pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka must submit their offers by 4 p.m. CST Wednesday [Nov 8th] — and the Seattle Mariners won’t be bidding.

Matsuzaka was officially put up for auction Thursday by the Seibu Lions of Japan’s Pacific League. After the bidding has closed, the Lions will be told of the highest offer, without being informed of which team made it. The Lions have until Nov. 14 to accept.

If the offer is accepted, the big-league team that made the bid is notified and gets a 30-day window to reach a contract agreement with Matsuzaka, who is represented by agent Scott Boras. The Lions only receive the payment from the major-league team if Matsuzaka is signed to a big-league contract.

The Cubs, New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox and New York Mets are expected to enter in the sweepstakes.

Matsuzaka was MVP of the World Baseball Classic in March, then went 17-5 with a 2.13 ERA and 200 strikeouts for the Lions. He throws in the high-90s mph, has good off-speed pitches and is known for the “gyroball,” a pitch that breaks to the left.

Seattle general manager Bill Bavasi said Thursday that the Mariners won’t bid.

AP story in Daily Herald (Chicago)

I can tell you guys that the Indians, coming off a disappointing season, are looking to be very aggressive this offseason. Indians owner Larry Dolan has been quoted as saying they WILL be spending money to improve the team. He really seems determined to shake the image of being such a cheapskate. The only question is what sort of firearm he will use to shoot the lock off his wallet.

Bonds is on his last legs, a 3 yr 40 million deal would be a disaster. He's got maybe 200-225 games left in him, and he's not the same intimidating force he was a few years ago. There are rumors he's even become too much of a cancer for the Giants to bring him back, and that's a team well used to his antics. With the Yanks already struggling with chemistry issues, I don't think thats a good play (besides the fact that Sheffield and Bonds want to kill each other)

Bonds is on his last legs, a 3 yr 40 million deal would be a disaster. He's got maybe 200-225 games left in him, and he's not the same intimidating force he was a few years ago. There are rumors he's even become too much of a cancer for the Giants to bring him back, and that's a team well used to his antics. With the Yanks already struggling with chemistry issues, I don't think thats a good play (besides the fact that Sheffield and Bonds want to kill each other)
200-225 games is exactly what you're expecting from him though. The Angels would love to have him hitting behind Vlad. The Sox would love to have Ortiz, Manny and Bonds in the middle for the next 2 years. Detroit could really use him to solidify the middle of their order. And $13M a year isn't outrageous. It's less than Magglio Ordonez. Less than Hideki Matsui. Less than Lance Berkman. Less than Todd Helton. All those guys are very comparable to the 2006 Bonds at the plate. I'm not advocating giving him a 5-year deal or giving him the $19M he was making in SanFran. I'm saying he'd be a great addition to a small handful of teams.

Juan Encarnacion was the only Cardinals player absent from the World Series parade and celebration in St. Louis. Tony LaRussa led the media to believe that he was "sulking" about his lack of playing time in the World Series. I'd expect him to be on the trading block soon. He's under contract for two more seasons.
Yeah, that ought to generate solid return."Say, we have this unhappy OF who strikes out a lot. He makes about $5.5 mil/year, and we were wondering if you'd like to give us someone valuable for him. Mind you, we don't really want to eat any of his salary."

The Texas Rangers are having a press conference today to announce the hiring of Ron Washington as their new manager. I really had this guy coming in third, but we will see.

Also, they have stated that they have submitted a sealed bid for Mr. Gyroball. But with the bitter taste of Chan Ho still in Hicks mouth, I bet he didn't go very high.

Yeah, that ought to generate solid return."Say, we have this unhappy OF who strikes out a lot. He makes about $5.5 mil/year, and we were wondering if you'd like to give us someone valuable for him. Mind you, we don't really want to eat any of his salary."
I'd supsect it would be a trade of equal salary value. Quite possibily a malcontent coming back our way.

Users who are viewing this thread