What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** OFFICIAL Gears of War on XBOX 360 Thread *** (1 Viewer)

Usual21

Footballguy
GAMERTAGS:

The gamertag is listed first and then their forum name.

Gamertag - FBG

FBG Alias - Alias

jakeeb - bauer

EAbell - belljr

Model Engine - Bonfire

Super Chet - Chet

BruceZowned - Chris Bruce

SmoothChris13 - cjdavis

JD PJ - Cowboys#1

Ren H03k - dantheman8417

FBG dude - dude

Strifewind - dude

Mirra9 - Eagles09

STEADYMOBBIN 22 - Emmit Smith

SirFelixCat - fasteddie_21

FBG Badger - Giant Wooden Badger

Tango Zulu - goonsquad

Green94 - Green94

hamster133 - hamster_13

Harris85 - Harris

FBG JTG - JerseyToughGuys

JNox3 - JNox3

FBGKGB - KGB

LA LAUNCH - Launch

TheEyeDoc - Mad Cow

Meat99 - meat

stone reaper9 - mex (or CGRdrJoe)

MrPhoenix1 - MrPhoenix

n currency - n currency

newteech - newteech

II Dykstra II - One

orcinus kc - orcinus

Otis66 - Otis

AcePayne - Payne

phrozen99 - phrozen

QUEZILLA99 - QUEZILLA

berger6696 - Random

raidersrule9697 - red93zj

red21126 - RedRaiders

nilloc1204 - Schmegma

Swillhole - sts911911

Nodnarb518 - Sundays Rule

VeryBadj - TD32

FBG Gator - The Gator

sayhota33 - thecatch

Tlef316 - TLEF316

UniAlias - UniAlias

Usual21 - Usual21

Mr Daddysmacka - Vintage_Football

tkcoffey - waiver wire

Gamertag - FBG

This is from a friend who attended the event in Massachusetts where they were able to get thier hands on the game:

-----------------------------------

On my way home from the Gears of War event at Six Flags New England, I wasn't quite sure how to start my review of the game. I had just played the game for over three hours straight, both Campaign, Co-op Campaign, and Multiplayer (Split screen and single screen), and I feel I need to start with this statement:

Gears of War is the most well rounded game I have ever played.

The game is beautiful, the controls are simple, and the gameplay is outstanding. The single player/co-op is just as good as the multiplayer. The multiplayer is fast, intense and completely action packed. You are in a firefight in less than 20 seconds and it is a constant struggle for domination.

The maps are brilliant. The weapons are balanced and varied. I got to curbstomp, headshot, chainsaw and drop the hammer of dawn on people. I sniped people with the sniper rifle and watched their head explode. I launched an explosive tipped arrow across the map into someone's leg and watched them blow up into several pieces.

The cover system works PERFECTLY. You can jump from cover to cover fluidly. When CliffyB described this game as "Stop and Pop", he wasn't kidding. Matches would start out with players doing a roadie run, trying to make it to a power weapon on the map (Sniper, Grenade launcher, Hammer). People would flank, use cover, and chainsaw unsuspecting enemies.

The chainsaw is fun as hell, and it's not overpowered at all. In fact, you really need to be careful with it, cause if you rush someone with it out and revving, they will drop you in a heartbeat.

I know this is going to irk some people here, but I'm going to say it anyways: Don't be surprised if this game completely overshadows anything coming out in the next few months, including R63:Vegas. I wouldn't be surprised if this is #1 until Halo 3. I have Vegas on pre-order, and honestly, I don't even care about it anymore. I will still probably get it when it comes out, but this game is the next big thing.

A few other things of note:

1. The game was entirely on the HD, there were no game discs in any of the 360's. The room was so damn hot that some of the consoles began overheating after 2+ hrs, and once the units would reboot it would go to a debug screen showing the game on the HD (about 2.4 GB to be exact).

2. I played a bunch of the different maps (Fuel Depot, Clocktower, Canals, Escalation, Gridlock, Mausoleum and Mansion). You can setup a custom playlist of the map order, we just kept it at the default, which had all of them in the same order (on all kiosks). I only played these maps because we kept losing players periodically and had to re-host the room. Every map has set spots for the power weapons to appear, generally at a halfway point between each team. Some maps, such as Gridlock, had at least two power weapons, where each team could get to one of them a tad quicker than the other. The default on that map is a sniper and a grenade launcher. Fuel Depot has the Hammer of Dawn in a center building. Canals has an explosive crossbow in the center of the map under a bridge. The roadie run is your friend in this game.

3. The reload mini-game is FUN. It adds a new layer of depth to the game. Those who master the reload will have a small advantage over those who don't. The cool thing is, you don't need to do the reload game if you don't want to, but those who take the risk and succeed are rewarded with faster reload and possibly extra damage. If you screw up though, your gun jams for a few seconds, which can seem like an eternity.

----------------------------------

This review has offcially got me salivating over this game that comes out next week. Who else is getting it?

Last edited by a moderator:
I pre-ordered it for about $46 total thanks to the FFA.

Is this a FPS or 3rd person/over the shoulder view?

I pre-ordered it for about $46 total thanks to the FFA.Is this a FPS or 3rd person/over the shoulder view?
3rd person. Have you guys downloaded the latest trailer on the marketplace? The one with the song playing in the background? It was done all in-game, and it looks AMAZING. I seriously wonder why people are getting the PS3 for games when the 360 blows it away in every aspect.

I pre-ordered it for about $46 total thanks to the FFA.Is this a FPS or 3rd person/over the shoulder view?
3rd person. Have you guys downloaded the latest trailer on the marketplace? The one with the song playing in the background? It was done all in-game, and it looks AMAZING. I seriously wonder why people are getting the PS3 for games when the 360 blows it away in every aspect.
This thread is doomed if you don't delete that last part. Seriously.

There was a Gears of War commercial last night, I guess it was the one you're referring to with only the song in the background. It looked pretty f'n sweet.

This thread is doomed if you don't delete that last part. Seriously.
Here they come!:williamwallacevoice: "hold....Hold....HOLD...HOLD!...NOW!!!"

:blackdot:

Looking forward to more reviews. Trying to decide between this and Halo3. Never played any version of either game.

Just remember guys...The big shindig that they are calling Emergence Day is Nov 12th. But the game will be out on the 7th or 8th.

along with CoD 3 (on the same day) and R6: Vegas 2 weeks later..great time to be gaming on the 360!
Seen some of you mention this Vegas game, care to elaborate a little? I can't link to most gaming sites from work so that's why I ask.

Thought this was a FPS, which I like MUCH better. :kicksrock:

I am really lukewarm on CoD3. I have gotten tired of WW2 shooters on rails - I don't care how pretty they look. MOHAA was awesome. CoD was great, CoD expansion was meh. CoD2 was just too much of the same and they never really delivered on their promise of open-ended playing to accomplish tasks in a variety of ways. Basically, they just dump you in a big playground and say kills Nazis in buildings labeled A thru F.

I am really lukewarm on CoD3. I have gotten tired of WW2 shooters on rails - I don't care how pretty they look. MOHAA was awesome. CoD was great, CoD expansion was meh. CoD2 was just too much of the same and they never really delivered on their promise of open-ended playing to accomplish tasks in a variety of ways. Basically, they just dump you in a big playground and say kills Nazis in buildings labeled A thru F.
From what I've read about CoD3, it will be much more open-ended than the previous versions.I was all excited to pick it up on the 7th, now you guys have me thinking I should also get Gears of War

From what I've read about CoD3, it will be much more open-ended than the previous versions.I was all excited to pick it up on the 7th, now you guys have me thinking I should also get Gears of War
But that is exactly what they said last time with CoD2. I am officially jaded until I see otherwise.

Gears trailers of actual gameplay are FREAKING RIDICULOUS. Can't wait for this game. I prefer 3rd person. Always have for some reason.

Also have COD3 paid for so I'll be getting that at the same time. Probably won't play it much for a long time based on the Gears trailer.

Yeah, 3rd person games are the suck.

along with CoD 3 (on the same day) and R6: Vegas 2 weeks later..great time to be gaming on the 360!
Seen some of you mention this Vegas game, care to elaborate a little? I can't link to most gaming sites from work so that's why I ask.
It's the next Rainbow Six game from UbiSoft. The first few were awesome, and then they really screwed the pooch with Rainbow Six: Lockdown. If you want, go find the latest OXM magazine. There's a demo on the disc for R6: Vegas. So far, so good.

im almost finished saints row, havent touched nba 2k7, or nhl 2007, havent touched madden.. havent touches splinter cell DA.. im in serious trouble when these shooters come out..

and the rainbow six series is a fps, very popular, you are part of a group that has to take down terrorists threatening to take down vegas.. real life locations have brought the game under fire from LV politicans but the game is supposed to be on the marketplace very soon (if it isnt already)

It depends on the interface. The right interface with a 3rdPS is awesome, as evidenced by Max Payne and Freedom FIghters.

It depends on the interface. The right interface with a 3rdPS is awesome, as evidenced by Max Payne and Freedom FIghters.
I loved Freedom Fighters because of the 3rd person. Also like the over the shoulder design like Ghost Recon. Prefer both over FPS. GOW looks :jawdrop: :excited:

I loved Freedom Fighters because of the 3rd person. Also like the over the shoulder design like Ghost Recon. Prefer both over FPS. GOW looks :jawdrop: :excited:
:yes: Generally, I prefer FPS, no doubt, but this one is gonna be huge.

FPS is where you don't see "your" body on the screen?

FPS is where you don't see "your" body on the screen?
Yeah - First person shooter - generally you might see the gun or just a reticle. 3rd person, of course, you see the whole body. 3rd person games can actually have some advantages on FPS because they give better awareness of what is going on around you and peeking around corners.

Ratchet & Clank is the only 3rd person game that I've really liked and those are great so maybe I was a tad too harsh.

It looks to me like it is a tight view over the sholder 3ps, and becomes 1ps when zoomed in on select guns. Not as bad as PD0, or the EA 007 games where you seem like you are 50 feet above your little guy. There were actually parts of Halo that were 3ps, like when you melle.

I love COD2! November 7th cannot arrive soon enough. 24 person multiplayer is going to rock.

Worm said:
BTW, wouldn't this be a second hand impression? :hophead:
good call, lol.Gametrailers put up some video of some MP, but then they were asked to take it down. Someone captured it and put it up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFUAN8Abu9o

I need this NOW!
That was badazz how he held the shotty over his head and was blasting it. I have been out of the shooter genre for some time now, but this game will probably get me back in it. I am definately going to have to get live so I can own some of you guys. My cheap ### didn't get the expres shipping so I am going to have to wait a few days after everyone is playing :cry:

This some more info on the game from IGN.com:

Sweaty. That's how I felt after playing through several rounds of intense Gears of War multiplayer action at a launch party Hollywood last week. The action was quick and intense, and straying out of cover too long will result in a headshot from a enterprising sniper or the wrath of God from a player carrying the Hammer of Dawn. Yeah, I was dripping wet, although playing inside of an actual mausoleum with dead corpses entombed in the walls next to me couldn't have helped.

You already know a ton about the game, and you are sweating yourself for the Gears review on November 7. What you probably don't know about the game are the following pieces of information I took away from that party. First thing's first: What the heck is Emergence Day?

What the heck is Emergence Day?

Emergence Day, for lack of a better phrase, is a big marketing event. While enjoying a cocktail outside with one of the developers from Epic, he told me that the game launches at game boutiques -- retailers that specialize specifically in videogames, like EB Games -- on November 7. However, major retailers like Target and Walmart aren't slated to get the game until the following week.

So at the time when everyone finally has the game, Microsoft has scheduled 24 hours of special events, beginning at 12:01 a.m. on November 12. Here's the events, straight from a Microsoft announcement last week:

A 24-Hour Leader board Tournament. The tournament winner receives a one of a kind "Gears of War" branded guitar as well as an automatic bye to the finals of a Global "Gears of War" Tournament planned for 2007.

Hourly sweepstakes drawings and prize giveaways including the chance to win one of several Samsung HT-P29 Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound System.

An exclusive free "Gears of War" Gamer pic and theme only available on Emergence Day.

Game with Fame sessions with legendary heavy metal band and "Gears of War" fans Megadeth, the game's lead designer Cliff Bleszinski and other members of the Epic Games team.

Never before seen videos including a special Emergence Day transmission from Cliff Bleszinski.

An MTV "Gears of War: The Road to Launch" Sneak Preview.

What are the new multiplayer modes?

Execution and Resurrection. Both are different versions of War Zone, a four-on-four team deathmatch/last man standing. In Execution, you play "kill the leader." The leader is determined by the highest ranked player and, in later rounds, by the scoreboard. Death to the leader ends the round, although the leader is the only player that can pick up new weapons on the map.

In Resurrection, players that are killed are not killed but incapacitated. If you don't kill them in that span, they will revive in about 30 seconds. This mode encourages grabbing cover and working as a team. If you shoot a player who is protected behind cover, you won't have an angle to shoot him from a distance. If a teammate is covering that player, you have no chance of scooting through the open to finish the job.

Both of these seem like fun twists on War Zone, but we would have liked to see some other modes included as well. Rumor is that Epic is working on additional multiplayer modes for download, but it's our opinion that those need to be included in the retail package. Downloadable maps are great. Game modes that should already be in the game are not. Which brings us to:

When are the new maps coming out?

Soon. A member of the dev team told me that maps are being worked on right now and most of them are very near completion. Don't be surprised if you see new maps popping up on Marketplace before the end of the year. Also, you should know that you have the option of selecting which special weapons appear on each map, so if you think the sniper rifle is a little unfair on Gridlock, you can throw in the magnum pistol, if you like.

For the casual gamer?

There are three difficulty settings for the single-player game: casual, hardcore and intense. Intense is only unlocked by defeating hardcore. We're not sure if the change has an effect on your life or the AI of the enemy, or both.

Is the chainsaw cheap?

No. Gears put a lot of work into balancing the chainsaw, which is the melee attack of the COG assault rifle. In previous demos, it looked like you could run through a shower of bullets, fire up the saw and start cutting away, an instant kill.

In the final months of development, Epic put a lot of focus on balancing the saw. In fact, the shotgun is the anti-chainsaw and comes equipped in every multiplayer match. Just one shot up close as an enemy charges in with the saw is enough to show he made a very big mistake. Smart players, they tell me, shoot a round or two with the rifle, stunning the enemy for a half-second, and then charge in with the saw humming.

What weapons are available to you?

We still don't know every weapon in the game, and we won't until the end of the week. Both the Locust and COG have a number of options at the ready, and we aren't even sure if these are unlockable for multiplayer matches. But we do know that there is the COG assault rifle with the chainsaw and the Locust rifle which is more accurate than the COG but has no saw.

There's a sniper rifle that looks to be at a 6x zoom, and there is only one zoom setting. A headshot is good for an instant kill and a great brain-popping animation as well. Disgusting.

There's a grenade launcher, known as the boom stick. At E3, everyone made a mad-dash to the boom stick because it was so powerful. It's still powerful, but only comes with two grenades and you'll have to wait for a good shot.

There's a sweet bow gun, but we don't know the name. Holding down the fire button is like pulling back the string on a bow. The longer you hold down, the more deadly and accurate the shot is. The on-screen reticule will start large and shrink down, and it's good for a one-hit kill at full strength. Holding down does expose you, however.

There's a magnum pistol and a basic pistol. The magnum does have a small bit of zoom when you click in the analog stick.

Which brings us to:

What the heck is the Hammer of Dawn?

The HoD is an orbital laser fired from a satellite in space that absolutely fries unsuspecting foes. When you hold down the fire button, a red infrared laser laces the target. It takes a few seconds to lock in, but when it does, the satellite will warm up and blast away.

If you are unlucky enough to be on the receiving end, you'll hear a lock-on tone increase in volume. When it reaches the highest pitch, get the hell out of there or pay the consequences. The range on the HoD was not very far in the last version we played. It worked best when we holed up in a bunker and aimed at our enemy's feet or the spot of cover behind which they hid. This weapon is excellent for getting your enemies out of cover, believe me.

Also when playing multiplayer, if your teammate is down, you can go revive him. But get there quick before the enemy finds him and curbstomps his head in for the final kill. :eek:

Bobcat10 said:
Love the Metal Gear series 3rd person.
I remember playing the first PS1 metal gear. All the action sequences were so great. I liked the part pretty close to the end of the game when you were running up the stairwell smoking people right before you fight the helocopter. Too bad the other 3/4 of the game was cutscenes. The next game was even worse. :thumbdown: Good games, but they coulda been classic if they were nothing but the action seqences. Im on the fence for GOW. I never liked Halo. I just have never been a fan of space/future games. I like fighting humans over aliens. I prefer Rainbow Six. I know they're played out, but I love the WWII shooters, especially the Brothers-In-Arms series. With all that being said, it's looks amazing. I hope it lives up to the hype, if that's possible.

Users who are viewing this thread