What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keurig Single Serving Coffee Maker (1 Viewer)

The Flying Turtle

Footballguy
Just went to Costco and saw this coffee maker for $139.00 including 100 servings of coffee. It also includes a filter you can use instead of buying the special inserts.

Keurig B50

I like the idea of making one cup of coffee whenever I want it.

Advatages

One cup at a time

No clean up

Fast - less than 60 seconds

Cons

Need to buy coffee inserts at about $0.30 each

May need to order inserts online (Target is listed as a retailer, but I have not checked)

Can only brew 8 oz cups (unless you use 2 inserts)

Has anybody used one of these home single cup machines?

Pretty popular here in Europe. Easy to use, makes good coffee, can buy in bulk and coffee comes in many different flavors and caff/decaf. I'd drink more coffee if I could make decaf easily at night.

Overall, I like these things and I'll probably get one when I move back. I'll probably use a regular coffee maker too for when people are over for for weekend mornings when one cup ain't enough.

We have one here at work. They bought this instead of having the bigger, regular size coffee maker because we'll have clients come in and some want decaf and some want regular. It's a pain to have 2 big, fresh pots of coffee ready. That being said, the coffee tastes okay, but it's not much coffee. If you have a bigger mug, you might need to fill it up twice with 2 coffee insert thingies. I don't know how much those insert thingies are, but it could get expensive.

There is a demo model set up here at corp headquarters (i'm in retail).

I like it, but sometimes I need more than 8oz. That's the only downside really.

You can get a french press that makes 1 or 2 cups, the coffee quality would probably be better, especially if you're into grinding your own whole beans in a grinder. Clean up is an issue though.

I bought one of these for my wife last year:

B&D Brew N Go

Its got a built-in filter that you just pull out and wash. No need for filters or special coffee packs. It comes with the travel mug and it does 15oz. I think I paid $25 on amazon for it. It took us a couple cups to figure out how to set it up right, but it works great.

If you buy a stronger brew, like Douwe Egberts dark roast instead of medium, you can get a 12-14 oz. mug of strong coffee with just the one pod.

Excellent selection of pods, brands and roasts, here.

:lmao:

I'm not looking for perfection. I just want something decent that takes up very little space in my office and makes no mess.

My wife bought one a few months ago and I thought it was ridiculous. She justified it by saying "all my friends say they spend a lot less money now since they no longer go to Starbucks . . . . " Then I pointed out that she didn't go there anyway, but I digress.

I used to drink almost a full pot before leaving for work, and I'd drink another full mug on the way. With the Keurig I now have only 1 cup in the morning (using the largest cup setting) and I don't take a mug for the drive. I have another cup after work, and that's it. The selection is great and we have at least 6 varieties sitting around at one time. I think it boils down to about $.43/cup. Anyway, I'm now a big fan. And, by the way, the coffee tastes great.

We have one at school. It's nice that you can have a variety of coffees available but I dislike that you can't make a larger cup of coffee without weakening it. All those little plastic cups can't be very "green" either.

I can't imagine paying so much for the machine and then having to pay top dollar for the little K cups too. This isn't the 80s you know. :goodposting:

We've had one for years. Mrs. Foos and I don't drink a ton of coffee so being able to do it one cup at a time is great. We've had no problems with it.

We have one. My wife uses it everyday. I still use my regular mail-order beans / grinder / coffeepot, as mine tastes way better.

Still, the Keurig is handy for when I just want one cup (or want more of a dessert type coffee - it's nice having so many varieties available). Although I have to use 2 packs on the smallest setting to get an acceptable cup. I can't see how anyone can drink this on the largest cup setting - waaaay too weak.

I would not use this as my main coffee maker, but as a secondary / flavored coffee setup, it's fine.

I am not a fan of this style of coffee maker.

The coffee is mediocre, you need to make a double if you want a decent sized cup, you are limited by having to buy the inserts and (for the one I have used) it froths the coffee too much which I don't like.

I bought one of these for my wife last year:

B&D Brew N Go

Its got a built-in filter that you just pull out and wash. No need for filters or special coffee packs. It comes with the travel mug and it does 15oz. I think I paid $25 on amazon for it. It took us a couple cups to figure out how to set it up right, but it works great.
This looks good. :sarcasm:

Why not just make 1 cup of coffee in a regular coffee maker? I don't get it. This is what I do.

I use a Gevalia Melitta. Love it

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister has one... I made some hot chocolate on Christmas. I don't drink coffee... but it's pretty nifty.

Love my Keurig. Not a big coffee drinker, neither is the wife, but we both enjoy a cup every now and then and this is perfect.

Bought one for my wife 2 christmas' ago and she still uses it almost once a day.

I got one of the nicer ones, that has a nicer LED screen.

This is the one my wife bought for my office. It is tiny and only holds enough water for 1 cup.

Still looking for some k-cup recommendations. Some of the samples suck-- Newmans was ok , 1 green mountain ok & 1 wasn't very good. A Timothy's wasnt bad but the box she bought is pretty darn good-Coffee People Donut Shop blend :wall:

Now that I have had it for 2 years I can say I am very happy. As long as I buy extra dark coffees the results are usually fine. It is nowhere near as strong as Starbucks, but it is great for the convenience and clean up alone.

My wife likes the instant hot water for tea and hot chocolate as well.

Thinking about buying the girlfriend one for christmas... any additional thoughts?

I bought one for my wife this year because she wanted something similar to the coffee pots you find in hotel rooms and I wanted to spoil her. She already owns a French press and it tends to be too much of a hassle when she is getting up and having to run out the door for her commute.

I have been trying it out and agree with many of the product reviews and some of the comments here. A lot of the coffees are too weak to work with the way that the machine works. The extra bold varieties can be pretty darn tasty though. May very well have to make two cups to fill one mug and the k-cups run about 40 to 50 cents a piece. It has its place, and I really have found that I like it. They make a filter attachment which allows you to grind and use your own which can take a little work to get everything the way that you want it, but it is do-able(seems to waste an awful lot of coffee).

I do recommend it, but it isn't the absolutely best or cheapest cup of coffee that you have ever had. It IS easy, quick, and pretty darn good. It is best not to use the large cup settings on the machine. Green Mountain extra bolds are quite good and I already bought another box of DIEDRICH French Roast even though I have to give the machine up in a couple of weeks. (Yes, I am using her Christmas present and no she doesn't live with me, Nursing school can be a Richard.)

We've had 5, all returned after they stopped making full cups of coffee.

Bunn single serve coffee maker >>> Keurig

The one we have gives you an option of 5 different size cups, ranging from a small amount (to be used to make an iced coffee) to a travel mug size.

At my house, My wife doesn't drink coffee, so if I brew it at all, I'm making less than a pot at a time on the weekends. With this I can make myself a cup for the drive to work, and not worry about leaving a lot behind.

There is a demo model set up here at corp headquarters (i'm in retail).I like it, but sometimes I need more than 8oz. That's the only downside really.
I thought Bed, Bath and Beyond was the only retailer carrying it but you're in MN, right? Target looking at taking it on?

There is a demo model set up here at corp headquarters (i'm in retail).I like it, but sometimes I need more than 8oz. That's the only downside really.
I thought Bed, Bath and Beyond was the only retailer carrying it but you're in MN, right? Target looking at taking it on?
I see dsrm's post from a few years ago. Even Walmart sells this thing now.

I see dsrm's post from a few years ago. Even Walmart sells this thing now.
Heh - got me on the old post recycling.

Love my B60. I use each K-Cup twice in the morning to make 12 oz (8 oz +4 oz). It doesn't make the best coffee in the world, but I like the convenience. My daughter uses it regularly too to make hot chocolate. The thing has already payed for itself when I consider how much I used to dump into a drive through coffee place. Its also very convenient for guests when different people want different types of coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread