What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keurig Single Serving Coffee Maker (1 Viewer)

Just went to Costco and saw this coffee maker for $139.00 including 100 servings of coffee. It also includes a filter you can use instead of buying the special inserts.

Keurig B50

I like the idea of making one cup of coffee whenever I want it.

Advatages

One cup at a time

No clean up

Fast - less than 60 seconds

Cons

Need to buy coffee inserts at about $0.30 each

May need to order inserts online (Target is listed as a retailer, but I have not checked)

Can only brew 8 oz cups (unless you use 2 inserts)

Has anybody used one of these home single cup machines?
My mother has one. Easy, quick, but poor coffee.

got one for christmas and i love it. Coffee People make the best Kcups. Good and strong

Also, if you register yours on Keurigs site, they have buy 2 large boxes get 2 free. I got 4 boxes of 24 KCups for $26 shipped

Gourmet coffee it is not, but there are more selections and variety each month with some decent options. Tully's is ok and Caribou is not bad.

Whats this coffee people?

Got one too and bought the little filter insert so that I can put my own coffee in there if I want to. Little less convenient, but it opens up variety, and can save money if you don't mind Folgers, et al.

Yesterday, the receptionist at my job asked me if I wanted her Keurig coffee maker. Her sister in law had sent her the new Cuisinart machine and she didn't want to let her old one go to waste. GB being friends with a woman who pushes the tech envelope and always needs tech support. :lmao: Today she brought it in and it's the older B50 Ultra model. She also gave me the "My K-Cup" reusable filter and 21 K-cups. I'm stoked about this because I had thought about buying one over a year ago but was turned off by comments about weak coffee, machine breakdowns and the prices I found on the web. Go figure I should have checked here for reviews first. :moneybag:

Anyway it seems like a lot of FBG like their machines so before I dump money on bad coffee for the Keurig can you recommend some actual varieties that you like (ie. Newman's Extra Bold). I heard that Coffee People's Doughnut Store is good as well as some Green Mountain Coffee varieties.

Also, if you have any favorite teas, hot chocolates/cocoas or mocha style cups please list them also. (for the wife) :bag:

Also if anyone has any links to places to purchase or reviews of cups I'd appreciate those also.

Thanks

:goodposting:

Last edited by a moderator:
According to my wife, the best place to get the K-cups is at Bed Bath and Beyond and using the 20% off coupons they constantly send you in the mail. Its not easy around here to find the 16 kcup boxes for less than 9.99.

Oddly, JCPenny wouldn't allow a coupon on the Kcups because it was considered "cookware"

Right now I've been lovin the Emeril's Big Easy Bold flavor.

If you like Extra Bold, I'd go with Coffee People's line. Jet Fuel, Black Tiger etc. From my experience, it's by far the best for the Keurig.

Amazon seems to have the best prices, usually can get 50 for around $20

Huge fan of Tully's Full City Roast. Try http://www.bigcatcoffees.com/. You can make custom packs, where you pick 5 varieties from any make and get 5 of each. Nice way to try a few different ones to get a feel for what you like.

ETA: I'm not a huge fan of tea through the Kuerig though. My wife convinced me to try tea from http://www.teavana.com/ last year, so I've become a bit of a tea snob. :hey: (There is a retail store near us.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Huge fan of Tully's Full City Roast. Try http://www.bigcatcoffees.com/. You can make custom packs, where you pick 5 varieties from any make and get 5 of each. Nice way to try a few different ones to get a feel for what you like.

ETA: I'm not a huge fan of tea through the Kuerig though. My wife convinced me to try tea from http://www.teavana.com/ last year, so I've become a bit of a tea snob. :lmao: (There is a retail store near us.)
Thanks for the link to bigcatcoffees :lmao: the custom pack option is awesome thanks for the tip. Now I just have to decide which ones to get, who knew this would be so hard :mellow:

Anyone have an account at bigcatcoffee. I could use a friend referral code. Let me know and I'll send you my email :goodposting:

I found a 10% off your first order from bigcatcoffee on their facebook fan site :jawdrop:

We would like to extend a 10% discount when placing your first order with Big Cat Coffees! Please enter the promo code 'FANCAT' at checkout to receive this discount. And as always...remember to drink responsibly!

It was posted on March 2 so I guess YMMV.

Thanks. That thread was about single serve systems in general. I'm interested in people who have a Keurig.
Probably 3/4 of tha posts are going to be about the Keurig. The other single serving systems have failed to generate much market share.There's not much to say about the Keurig systems. They're very convenient. If you're a coffee snob, you won't find the coffee very good. If you're not (and there's nothing wrong with that), then you'll like the coffee fine.

scoobygang said:
CrossEyed said:
3 out of 5 said:
CrossEyed said:
Any more input from the Keurig owners around here?
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...1&hl=Keurig
Thanks. That thread was about single serve systems in general. I'm interested in people who have a Keurig.
Probably 3/4 of tha posts are going to be about the Keurig. The other single serving systems have failed to generate much market share.There's not much to say about the Keurig systems. They're very convenient. If you're a coffee snob, you won't find the coffee very good. If you're not (and there's nothing wrong with that), then you'll like the coffee fine.
Hmmmm, I don't think I'm a coffee snob. I guess it might be a good idea to go somewhere and try a cup before I buy one. I wonder if Sam's ever does the free samples with a Keurig in their stores.

Hmmmm, I don't think I'm a coffee snob. I guess it might be a good idea to go somewhere and try a cup before I buy one. I wonder if Sam's ever does the free samples with a Keurig in their stores.
You'd know it if you were.
Well, I'm generally not that picky, but I've come to like the stronger flavor of coffee like Starbucks more and more. There are times that I get coffee at places and think, "This isn't really as good as I'd like". Does that make me a coffee snob?

You'd know it if you were.
Well, I'm generally not that picky, but I've come to like the stronger flavor of coffee like Starbucks more and more. There are times that I get coffee at places and think, "This isn't really as good as I'd like". Does that make me a coffee snob?
Maybe. Does it bother you? Would you cross the street and pay the extra buck at Starbucks? A Keurig isn't going to give you coffee shop quality coffee. The beans are too old, the water doesn't get hot enough, and it doesn't brew long enough. That's just a given. But that's a given for the vast majority of consumer drip coffee makers.For most people, it makes good enough coffee. And unless you're grinding your own beans and using a chemex, a french press or a pretty expensive drip coffee maker like a Technivorm at home, I don't think the Keurig is going to be worse than you're used to making yourself.

OK, broke down and bought a Keurig at Sam's on my way to work today. They had a B-60 packaged with a My K-Cup and 60 k-cups for $129. Seemed like the best deal I'd seen out there.

Plugged it in in my office and gave it a spin. I like having a little bigger mug of coffee so I ran a 6oz brew cycle through the k-cup twice. Plenty strong for my taste. Happy with the speed of the brewing cycles. I'll probably stick with the extra bold blends so I can do this without ending up with too weak of a cup going forward. Might even be able to get enough flavor to combine an 8oz and a 6oz. This afternoon I plan on trying out the My K-Cup with some Starbucks that I have here.

I was a little disappointed that none of the 60 k-cups were tea or hot chocolate, so I guess I don't get to sample any of those before I buy a box.

But my initial impression is :shrug:

My initial sampler included hot chocolate and tea. Haven't tried the tea yet but the hot chocolate was pretty weak.

OK, not overly impressed by my first "My K-Cup" experience. It leaked water out the sides and I have grounds in my coffee. And the cleanup is kind of a pain. Might just stick with the regular k-cups.

OK, not overly impressed by my first "My K-Cup" experience. It leaked water out the sides and I have grounds in my coffee. And the cleanup is kind of a pain. Might just stick with the regular k-cups.
Did you forget to put the lid on?

One thing about the hot chocolate is that you need to run a few cups of just hot water in order to get the cocoa residue off the pump. I don't think it's worth the hassle. Just use hot cocoa mix in the cup and run the hot water. I feel the same way about tea from a Keurig. Use a tea bag and just run the water.

A couple of weeks in and I'm really enjoying my Keurig. It's especially nice when you are the only coffee drinker in the house. I don't have to drink the same thing all the time.

Bought one of those when I first got my machine, used it two or three times, haven't used it since. That was 3 yrs ago.If you pack it to the brim, it makes a huge mess, but if you don't pack it to the brim, the coffee comes out very weak. Cool idea, poor execution.

MIL just bought my wife one....it's pretty cool. She likes it a lot and it makes sense in our house since I don't drink coffee.

Bought one of those when I first got my machine, used it two or three times, haven't used it since. That was 3 yrs ago.If you pack it to the brim, it makes a huge mess, but if you don't pack it to the brim, the coffee comes out very weak. Cool idea, poor execution.
Problem with the My K-cup is that the water flows too fast through the filter. I found this solution on Amazon:
After reading many reviews about the problems with the My K-Cup and experimenting on my own, I have found an easy solution to the problem of weak coffee using this filter. As others have noted, the water goes through the My K-Cup way too fast as compared to the K-Cups. My solution was to take apart a K-Cup and use the outer plastic shell with the My K-Cup filter. Here's all you need to do:Take a used K-Cup and cut the top foil off of a K-Cup. Cut the paper filter out of the K-Cup. It's okay not to cut it all the way off of the rim of the K-Cup because you will need to cut the top of the K-Cup (where it gets wider at the top). You need to cut the top of the K-Cup off because you need to fit the K-Cup shell into the My K-Cup holder. Once you slide the bottom shell of the K-Cup into the holder, you can add your coffee into the My K-Cup (tapping or gently pressing the coffee so that it is not loose inside the filter). Then place the My K-Cup filter into the holder and cover as normal. When brewing, the K-Cup shell surrounds the My K-Cup filter and slows down the water by making it pass through the punctured hole that the prepackaged K-Cup normally uses.

Problem with the My K-cup is that the water flows too fast through the filter. I found this solution on Amazon:
After reading many reviews about the problems with the My K-Cup and experimenting on my own, I have found an easy solution to the problem of weak coffee using this filter. As others have noted, the water goes through the My K-Cup way too fast as compared to the K-Cups. My solution was to take apart a K-Cup and use the outer plastic shell with the My K-Cup filter. Here's all you need to do:Take a used K-Cup and cut the top foil off of a K-Cup. Cut the paper filter out of the K-Cup. It's okay not to cut it all the way off of the rim of the K-Cup because you will need to cut the top of the K-Cup (where it gets wider at the top). You need to cut the top of the K-Cup off because you need to fit the K-Cup shell into the My K-Cup holder. Once you slide the bottom shell of the K-Cup into the holder, you can add your coffee into the My K-Cup (tapping or gently pressing the coffee so that it is not loose inside the filter). Then place the My K-Cup filter into the holder and cover as normal. When brewing, the K-Cup shell surrounds the My K-Cup filter and slows down the water by making it pass through the punctured hole that the prepackaged K-Cup normally uses.
:wall: We just did this and it works well. It's ticky-tack, but if I can get a stronger cup of coffee 'on demand' then so be it.

:confused: We just did this and it works well. It's ticky-tack, but if I can get a stronger cup of coffee 'on demand' then so be it.
So do you have to redo it for every brew, or does the shell just stay inside the my K-Cup?

Got one as a present for relative, but unsure what coffee flavors are best. Is there a general consensus on what are the best coffee cups?

Got one as a present for relative, but unsure what coffee flavors are best. Is there a general consensus on what are the best coffee cups?
No accounting for individual tastes. I tend to like the bold flavors. Still figuring out my favorites, but currently enjoying a cup of Green Mountain extra bold Sumatran Reserve. :homer:The Coffee People flavors have been pretty tasty also.

No accounting for individual tastes. I tend to like the bold flavors. Still figuring out my favorites, but currently enjoying a cup of Green Mountain extra bold Sumatran Reserve. :whistle:The Coffee People flavors have been pretty tasty also.
Thank, might add a few of those as a sample. Heard something like Dunkin' Donut coffee cups were good, but dunno if those even exist.

No accounting for individual tastes. I tend to like the bold flavors. Still figuring out my favorites, but currently enjoying a cup of Green Mountain extra bold Sumatran Reserve. :confused:The Coffee People flavors have been pretty tasty also.
Thank, might add a few of those as a sample. Heard something like Dunkin' Donut coffee cups were good, but dunno if those even exist.
I've seen a Donut House brand, but I've never seen Dunkin' Donuts brand in a k-cup.

Buying mom and dad one for x-mas...just found out their pot went dead and mom is definitely intrigued. I am not a coffee drinker, but have had the CP Donut Shop a couple of times and liked it a lot. Curious whether it is similar to DD (that is what my parents drink presently)?

Buying mom and dad one for x-mas...just found out their pot went dead and mom is definitely intrigued. I am not a coffee drinker, but have had the CP Donut Shop a couple of times and liked it a lot. Curious whether it is similar to DD (that is what my parents drink presently)?
Cheapest place I've found is Sam's Club. $129 for the B60, 60 k-cups and a my k-cup.Not a DD coffee drinker, so can't help you there.

:thumbup: We just did this and it works well. It's ticky-tack, but if I can get a stronger cup of coffee 'on demand' then so be it.
So do you have to redo it for every brew, or does the shell just stay inside the my K-Cup?
Nope just leave it in as part of the regular filter. We did 2 cups this afternoon with no issues.

Ive had the Keurig for a year now - overall positive reviews. That said, I do prefer a more bold/rich cup and many/most of the flavors are too weak for my taste, especially any of the chocolare or flavored type. Some Tullys work, Diedrich and a couple others make some good cups though.

A week or so ago I tried the Tassimo at Bed Bath and Beyond - must admit, it tasted really good. Im curious. :popcorn:

Users who are viewing this thread