What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keurig Single Serving Coffee Maker (1 Viewer)

I've mostly been drinking the bold flavors so far. I like Tully's Sumatra extra bold and Coffee People's Donut House. Every once in a while I like a flavored coffee, so I bought some Timothy's Cinnamon Pastry. Wow, it's like drinking dessert. :goodposting: :lmao:

I've mostly been drinking the bold flavors so far. I like Tully's Sumatra extra bold and Coffee People's Donut House. Every once in a while I like a flavored coffee, so I bought some Timothy's Cinnamon Pastry. Wow, it's like drinking dessert. :confused: ;)
My problem with the sweet flavors is they taste like sugar water.

I've mostly been drinking the bold flavors so far. I like Tully's Sumatra extra bold and Coffee People's Donut House. Every once in a while I like a flavored coffee, so I bought some Timothy's Cinnamon Pastry. Wow, it's like drinking dessert. :confused: ;)
My problem with the sweet flavors is they taste like sugar water.
I've tried the hazelnut and french vanilla and thought that too. Can only make those on the small cup setting. This one tastes pretty good to me.

I guess it comes down to personal preference. Obviously any single maker is not going to make as good of a cup of coffee as a press. With the Bunn MC you have the wide variety of pods, and when tasting pods and k-cups from the same company the pods always tasted better to me. Like I said, personal preference. Plus this machine is consistent with water temps, keeping them around 200 degrees (ideal coffee temp.) I believe that Keurig is around 10 degrees less (not sure this makes too big a difference). Another small difference is price comparison of pod vs. k-cup.

Overall, JMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same complaint about K-Cup making a "cooler" cup of coffee. If you like to add milk or cream therefore making it even cooler, you end up getting a warm cup of coffee. I now have the Tassimo and don't have that problem anymore.

I have the same complaint about K-Cup making a "cooler" cup of coffee. If you like to add milk or cream therefore making it even cooler, you end up getting a warm cup of coffee. I now have the Tassimo and don't have that problem anymore.
Maybe you had a defective coffee maker. I can't drink mine immediately.

Seriously? At 192 degrees I always have to wait a few minutes so I don't burn my mouth. Not sure I understand this complaint. Do you guys have leather tongues?

Got my Keurig for Christmas and simply love it. Best thing I have gotten in a while. Still working my way through the coffees but really digging the Kona and Donut Shop ones for sure. Not a fan of the Mocha, but the Hazelnut and Butter Toffee are not bad.

The best thing that was a surprise are the teas. While I make coffee in the morning for me. I can instantly make fresh iced tea for dinner if I want. My wife is not the biggest coffee drinker, but she is digging the tea and really wants to try the Hot Chocolate and Apple Cider.

Problem with the My K-cup is that the water flows too fast through the filter. I found this solution on Amazon:

After reading many reviews about the problems with the My K-Cup and experimenting on my own, I have found an easy solution to the problem of weak coffee using this filter. As others have noted, the water goes through the My K-Cup way too fast as compared to the K-Cups. My solution was to take apart a K-Cup and use the outer plastic shell with the My K-Cup filter. Here's all you need to do:Take a used K-Cup and cut the top foil off of a K-Cup. Cut the paper filter out of the K-Cup. It's okay not to cut it all the way off of the rim of the K-Cup because you will need to cut the top of the K-Cup (where it gets wider at the top). You need to cut the top of the K-Cup off because you need to fit the K-Cup shell into the My K-Cup holder. Once you slide the bottom shell of the K-Cup into the holder, you can add your coffee into the My K-Cup (tapping or gently pressing the coffee so that it is not loose inside the filter). Then place the My K-Cup filter into the holder and cover as normal. When brewing, the K-Cup shell surrounds the My K-Cup filter and slows down the water by making it pass through the punctured hole that the prepackaged K-Cup normally uses.
:rolleyes: We just did this and it works well. It's ticky-tack, but if I can get a stronger cup of coffee 'on demand' then so be it.
So do you have to redo it for every brew, or does the shell just stay inside the my K-Cup?
Nope just leave it in as part of the regular filter. We did 2 cups this afternoon with no issues.
Thanks guys - tried this with some Dunkin Donuts coffee I'd gotten as a gift today and it worked well. I can't help but wonder if there's some plastic degradation eventually, though - those K-cups aren't built for repeat usage. I think I'll start hanging on to old K-cups and chopping them up every so often so I don't worry about it.

Got my Keurig for Christmas and simply love it. Best thing I have gotten in a while. Still working my way through the coffees but really digging the Kona and Donut Shop ones for sure. Not a fan of the Mocha, but the Hazelnut and Butter Toffee are not bad.

The best thing that was a surprise are the teas. While I make coffee in the morning for me. I can instantly make fresh iced tea for dinner if I want. My wife is not the biggest coffee drinker, but she is digging the tea and really wants to try the Hot Chocolate and Apple Cider.
I've heard the hot chocolate is kinda weak. Haven't tried it though.

CrossEyed said:

I have a feeling that it is going to be like the Cafe Mocha, which is not good. I figure we will have quite a bit of trial and error trying things before settling on a good mixture of coffees and teas. Will leave the Hot Chocolate making to the stove.

Thanks guys - tried this with some Dunkin Donuts coffee I'd gotten as a gift today and it worked well. I can't help but wonder if there's some plastic degradation eventually, though - those K-cups aren't built for repeat usage. I think I'll start hanging on to old K-cups and chopping them up every so often so I don't worry about it.
We're doing the same thing - we have them on a weekly rotation. Although we don't use the Keurig every day so it'd probably equate to every 2-3 days.

Seriously? At 192 degrees I always have to wait a few minutes so I don't burn my mouth. Not sure I understand this complaint. Do you guys have leather tongues?
This misses the point, brewing at the correct temp. makes a better cup of coffee. I don't drink it right away.

CrossEyed said:

I have a feeling that it is going to be like the Cafe Mocha, which is not good. I figure we will have quite a bit of trial and error trying things before settling on a good mixture of coffees and teas. Will leave the Hot Chocolate making to the stove.
The hot chocolate is weak. Don't waste your money.

This misses the point, brewing at the correct temp. makes a better cup of coffee. I don't drink it right away.
No, I'm pretty sure I was directly addressing his point.

Not the point made by Steed. He talked about adding milk and cream making it cooler and ending up with a warm cup of coffee.

You don't necessarily need the stove. The K-Cup is kinda weak (I've tried the Cafe Escapes Hot Chocolate, which is okay). But you can also buy Ghirardelli packets; put the mixture in the cup and just run hot water through the Keurig and stir.

You don't necessarily need the stove. The K-Cup is kinda weak (I've tried the Cafe Escapes Hot Chocolate, which is okay). But you can also buy Ghirardelli packets; put the mixture in the cup and just run hot water through the Keurig and stir.
This has the added virtue of you not having to run two or three water cycles through the Keurig before you can make another coffee pod. The cocoa ones leave residue in the filter mechanism.

This has the added virtue of you not having to run two or three water cycles through the Keurig before you can make another coffee pod. The cocoa ones leave residue in the filter mechanism.
One of my biggest pet peeves with coffee makers is this. I hate it when someone makes a flavored coffee and it sticks around for 2-3 pots.

My favorite K Cup without question is Emerils Big Easy Bold.

I get mine delivered to my door with free super savers shipping on Amazon.

I also like CP's donut shop blend, good stuff.

Got this thing for Christmas. It's awesome, and my support staff freaking loves it, but I don't like or drink coffee. :nerd:

Going to have to buy the teas. Anyone got any suggestion for a variety pack type deal?

:nerd:

Ive been loving the Donut Shop extra bold, one of the better cups Ive had since using Keurig.

Got this thing for Christmas. It's awesome, and my support staff freaking loves it, but I don't like or drink coffee. :lmao:Going to have to buy the teas. Anyone got any suggestion for a variety pack type deal?
That's just a weird use for it. You can get an electric kettle for less money and make much better tea. In any case, I wouldn't use a K Cup of tea, particularly if your staff is still using it for coffee. I'd just buy a good brand of tea that you like and brew it yourself in the cup with the hot(ish) water. The Keurig probably only gets up to the 190s for temperture, so maybe a good Oolong from a decent company.

Couldn't be bothered to read the thread cause frankly I don't care a lick about this damn thing but they make a small filter thing that you can pack with whatever the hell you want. We're partial to our Timmy's Coffee up here so that eliminates the need for buying their Pods or Pogs or whatever those coffee or tea filled single serve cups are called. Hope this helps and if it's already been written sorry.

Christo said:
RBM said:
Ive been loving the Donut Shop extra bold, one of the better cups Ive had since using Keurig.
So far it's Nantucket Blend for me.Woz, Celestial Seasonings English Breakfast Black Tea is the best so far.
Yeah I had that and it was very very good. I also like the sleepytime tea at night with it being cold out

Zow said:
Got this thing for Christmas. It's awesome, and my support staff freaking loves it, but I don't like or drink coffee. :lmao:Going to have to buy the teas. Anyone got any suggestion for a variety pack type deal?
My wife loves the Chai Tea

Not the point made by Steed. He talked about adding milk and cream making it cooler and ending up with a warm cup of coffee.
Not Steed's point, Cross Eyed's point. It came across that I like to drink 200 degree coffee. I don't, I let it cool off to a point where a human being can drink it. My point was that coffee needs to be heated to 200 degrees or a little over to obtain the ideal brew. What was the point of your post? To elicit a response? If so, well then bravo sir.

Not Steed's point, Cross Eyed's point. It came across that I like to drink 200 degree coffee. I don't, I let it cool off to a point where a human being can drink it. My point was that coffee needs to be heated to 200 degrees or a little over to obtain the ideal brew. What was the point of your post? To elicit a response? If so, well then bravo sir.
To point out that it was not the point made by Steed. Respond if you like. I couldn't care less.

I've mostly been drinking the bold flavors so far. I like Tully's Sumatra extra bold and Coffee People's Donut House. Every once in a while I like a flavored coffee, so I bought some Timothy's Cinnamon Pastry. Wow, it's like drinking dessert. :goodposting: :excited:
Where can I get these? I'd prefer to not have to order anything.I have a Keurig...it was given to me as a gift about 7 months ago. I'll use it usually once a week on weekends, and then occasionally if I have a day off. Since I use it so infrequently, I was able to make the two boxes that I had (Diedrich's French Roast and Newman's Extra Bold) plus the 12-cup sampler box last me this whole time. The Diedrich's (sp?) was pretty good, actually, I thought - compared to some of the others, at least.I haven't been terribly impressed with the quality of the coffee, but it's convenient and there's no cleanup, so I'm fine with it when I want a quick cup. I haven't had any real issues with it.

I've mostly been drinking the bold flavors so far. I like Tully's Sumatra extra bold and Coffee People's Donut House. Every once in a while I like a flavored coffee, so I bought some Timothy's Cinnamon Pastry. Wow, it's like drinking dessert. :goodposting: :lmao:
Where can I get these? I'd prefer to not have to order anything.I have a Keurig...it was given to me as a gift about 7 months ago. I'll use it usually once a week on weekends, and then occasionally if I have a day off. Since I use it so infrequently, I was able to make the two boxes that I had (Diedrich's French Roast and Newman's Extra Bold) plus the 12-cup sampler box last me this whole time. The Diedrich's (sp?) was pretty good, actually, I thought - compared to some of the others, at least.I haven't been terribly impressed with the quality of the coffee, but it's convenient and there's no cleanup, so I'm fine with it when I want a quick cup. I haven't had any real issues with it.
Every grocery store near me pretty much just has the basics. You're probably going to have to go on-line.

I've mostly been drinking the bold flavors so far. I like Tully's Sumatra extra bold and Coffee People's Donut House. Every once in a while I like a flavored coffee, so I bought some Timothy's Cinnamon Pastry. Wow, it's like drinking dessert. :confused: :coffee:
Where can I get these? I'd prefer to not have to order anything.I have a Keurig...it was given to me as a gift about 7 months ago. I'll use it usually once a week on weekends, and then occasionally if I have a day off. Since I use it so infrequently, I was able to make the two boxes that I had (Diedrich's French Roast and Newman's Extra Bold) plus the 12-cup sampler box last me this whole time. The Diedrich's (sp?) was pretty good, actually, I thought - compared to some of the others, at least.

I haven't been terribly impressed with the quality of the coffee, but it's convenient and there's no cleanup, so I'm fine with it when I want a quick cup. I haven't had any real issues with it.
Register your machine at keurig.com and you can get a buy 2 get 2 free code to use. Free shipping.

Just got a Nespresso Instant Espresso / Lungo (Large cup, aka Coffee) machine with frother as wedding shower gift. So far, very very pleased.

Had a couple samples in the store (straight espresso) and was surprisingly impressed so we put it on the registry. Have had two drinks now (in 15 min, nice and hyped up to the chagrin of my fiance) and its super easy, clean and better tasting than I'd think.

The milk frother worked great, so Ive had an espresso, and then a cappuccino/machiotto

Pros:

[*]Sleek design (and a lot of choices / colors for those into that sorta thing)

[*]Very simple to use, similar to a k-cup but if anything a bit less clumsy and used cups fall into a holder within the machine (dont have to pull them out and throw away each time)

[*]Seemingly good quality espresso (not sure how it works for coffees yet in terms of the lungo flavors) - much closer to ground quality than k-cups are to ground coffee imo though Ive only had a few

[*]Ability to make a latte or similar drink on par with Starbucks at maybe 20-25% of the price

[*]A lot cheaper than many decent full featured regular espresso machines (range from $199 for a stand alone to $279 for the next model up, with some better features and a sleaker look to $349 for the combined frother and higher end espresso machine)

[*]great service (allegedly) - havent needed it yet but it appears from reviews that they really take care of the customer. If you need you machine repaired/replaced, you get a temporary one to hold you over, for example

Cons:

[*]Going to cost most than most k-cup systems

[*]limited choice of coffees - tasty and apparantly good quality, but it is not (yet?) like k-cups where you have many brands to choose from and tons of variety, you have about 15-20 choices would be my guess

[*]Places to buy coffee: you must get them through nespreso online which is quick (two day shipping and over night options) but in the New York area, the only actual stores that have them I think are the Crate and Barrel in NYC and someplace else in the City.

[*]Coffee's not cheap: 50-65 cents each essentially, but it appears you can make lattes or caps just as good as starbucks, and its a lot cheaper than that

[*]Coffee is not quite as hot as Id like (a big complaint with kcups, not as bad here) but its close

VERDICT: Highly recommend, at least at 20 min of use.

:nerd:
We have big mugs that we use -- usually a Large and a Medium plus a little cream pretty much fills it up coffee-wise. For Hot Chocolate, I have been filling the bottom third with skim milk, microwaving it for 30 seconds, and then doing a Large with the Dark Hot Chocolate. The milk helps give it some of the creaminess that a lot of good hot chocolates have. The wife and I are both fans when prepared this way.

New favorite

Green Mountain - Dark Magic (Magie Noire)

Tastes a lot like a good dark blend at a coffee joint. We get it on sale for $5.50-$5.99 I think. I don't buy it usually - not on sale, the price is pretty bad. Something like $8 - $9.

New favoriteGreen Mountain - Dark Magic (Magie Noire)Tastes a lot like a good dark blend at a coffee joint. We get it on sale for $5.50-$5.99 I think. I don't buy it usually - not on sale, the price is pretty bad. Something like $8 - $9.
We have these things at work and this is what I drink all day. :thumbup:

Absolutely a waste of money and they make horrible coffee. Get a french press.
Just wanted you to know, 1997 is calling and wants you to stop reminding people of what a self-righteous era in coffee it produced. The coffee snob shtick has been laughed at for over a decade now. Hey, look, if you prefer oily coffee that will require bilateral endarterectomies in 10 years from drinking french press coffee, so be it. Non-elitists have found plenty of range between (a) Foldgers instant and (b) self grinding french press snobs. We have found quality coffee, but just don't feel the pathological need to to pat ourselves on the back for our elitist coffee choices. We just enjoy good, quality coffee. Clearly you didn't get the memo that coffee is no longer a status symbol.Keurig does great stuff, as long as you look for the good K-Cups. And, it's a piece of cake to make and clean up.

Swung by Dunkin Donuts this morning for a box of their original blend K-Cups. Pretty good. They have a few other flavors.

For those looking to use their own ground coffee and not crazy about the quality of the "My K-Cup" I bought one of these on a recommendation. Definitely makes a stronger brew. Still will have some K-Cups on hand, but will probably use the Ekobrew more often to save some :moneybag:

For those looking to use their own ground coffee and not crazy about the quality of the "My K-Cup" I bought one of these on a recommendation. Definitely makes a stronger brew. Still will have some K-Cups on hand, but will probably use the Ekobrew more often to save some :moneybag:
Saw your post and ordered these, HUGE upgrade over what I was using. Recommend highly.

Users who are viewing this thread