What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

AL Cy Young : Johan Santana (1 Viewer)

Footballguy
http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article...sp&c_id=mlb

MINNEAPOLIS -- Johan Santana joined an elite group of pitchers on Thursday afternoon when he became just the 14th pitcher in Major League history to win multiple Cy Young Awards.

Santana was named the unanimous winner of the 2006 American League Cy Young Award. It's the second time in his career that he has earned the honor bestowed by the Baseball Writers' Association of America.

All of Santana's success has come quite quickly, as both Cy Young Awards have come within the past three seasons. Santana won his first Cy Young in 2004 during his first full season as a starter. In 2005, he finished third in the voting.

Santana is now regarded as one of best -- if not the best -- pitchers in the Major Leagues, and his accomplishments in 2006 were nothing short of dominant. The left-hander finished the year leading the Majors in ERA (2.77), strikeouts (245) and tied for first in wins (19) to give him the pitching Triple Crown. He also led the AL in innings pitched with 233 2/3.

Well known for his ability to step up his game in the second half, Santana did that once again this season as he went 10-1 with a 2.54 ERA in 15 starts after the All-Star break.

The value of an ace is often demonstrated in his ability to help the team every five days. But Santana's worth in 2006 proved to be even more than that, as he helped carry a rotation that saw its share of troubles.

With 12-year veteran Brad Radke limited by shoulder troubles and rookie phenom Francisco Liriano forced to miss the final two months of the season, Santana had to be a steadying force for the club. That's exactly what Santana was as the club went 27-7 in games with him on the mound.

Santana's efforts helped lead the Twins to their fourth AL Central title in the past five years under manager Ron Gardenhire. Just how much Santana meant to the club is shown by the fact that the pitcher has been mentioned as a candidate for the AL MVP award, usually reserved only for position players.

"He's really valuable in a lot of different ways," Twins general manager Terry Ryan said of his ace. "Giving us quality innings, his presence in the clubhouse and being an accountable guy in the community and with the media. There are not enough superlatives I could use to describe him. He is that important to our team."

And while the Twins had troubles to surmount in 2006, Santana wasn't without his own adversities to overcome. Santana battled through a split nail and a blister on his pitching hand during the year, as well as a sore hip and sore back at times.

Santana's efforts have earned him plenty of recognition already this offseason. Before being named the Cy Young winner, Santana won the Players Choice Award as the AL's Outstanding Pitcher. He was named AL Pitcher of the Year by the Sporting News and Baseball America's Player of the Year.

The 27-year-old is the sixth-youngest pitcher in history to win multiple Cy Young Awards. He trails only Roger Clemens, Denny McLain and Bret Saberhagen, who were each 25 years old when they won their second award; Randy Johnson, who was 26, and Greg Maddux who was 27, but Maddux's birthday is one month later than Santana's.

Santana is an absolute stud. Its going to be fun watching the bidding war for him in 2 years when hes a free agent.

MINNEAPOLIS -- Johan Santana joined an elite group of pitchers on Thursday afternoon when he became just the 14th pitcher in Major League history to win multiple Cy Young Awards.
14 is elite?

14 is elite?
How many pitchers have there been in the last 50 years? 5,000? I'd say if you are talking about a class of less than one percent of pitchers since the inception of the Cy Young, then you are talking about an elite group.

Santana's amazing. I'm hoping the Twins can get the cash together to keep him (or worst case scenario he goes to the Mets!), I think he likes it here.

What's amazing to me is that he arguably has a case for AL MVP as well given the Twins' winning percentage when he pitches, his consistent numbers, the fact the Twins made a miracle playoff run, and his ability to be a teammate.

I'm not saying he should be the AL MVP hands down, just saying I think it's one of the few years where arguing that a pitcher should be MVP is not a stretch. After all, Papi couldn't stay healthy and his team delfated, Jeter doesn't have the power numbers and it surrounded by talent on a team which arguably underachieved, Frank Thomas is a DH for a small market team, Dye's numbers were great but not amazing and his team didn't make the playoffs, and Morneau was simply the most clutch hitter on a cinderella type team and isn't even the best position player on his team.

Users who are viewing this thread