What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2007 Baseball HOF Ballot... (1 Viewer)

Footballguy
http://sports.iwon.com/news/11272006/v1432.html

NEW YORK (AP) -Mark McGwire, Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. headline the first-time candidates on the 2007 baseball writers' Hall of Fame ballot released Monday, sure to spark debate on Big Mac's place in history as the steroid era comes under renewed scrutiny.

Jose Canseco, whose book last year led to a congressional hearing on steroid use in baseball, also is on the ballot for the first time. Canseco said he used steroids along with McGwire when they were teammates.

McGwire denied using illegal performance-enhancing substances, but when he appeared before a congressional committee, he evaded questions. "I'm not here to talk about the past," was his repeated response.

McGwire finished his career with 583 home runs, seventh in baseball history while Canseco, a former MVP, is 30th at 462. Dave Kingman, 34th with 442, has the most home runs for a player who has been on the Hall of Fame ballot and was not elected.

Gwynn, an eight-time batting champion with San Diego, and Ripken, a two-time MVP with Baltimore, are considered likely to gain election on the first ballot. Ripken played in 2,632 consecutive games, breaking Lou Gehrig's record.

Bret Saberhagen, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, and former MVP Ken Caminiti also are among 17 players on the ballot for the first time along with Harold Baines, Dante Bichette, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner, Eric Davis, Tony Fernandez, Wally Joyner, Paul O'Neill, Devon White and Bobby Witt.

Jim Rice, who was 53 votes short of election last year, heads the 15 holdovers. Rich Gossage finished one vote behind Rice.

Reporters who have been in the BBWAA for 10 or more consecutive years are eligible to vote, and the totals will be announced Jan. 9.

The complete ballot:

Harold Baines

Albert Belle

Dante Bichette

Bert Blyleven

Bobby Bonilla

Scott Brosius

Jay Buhner

Ken Caminiti

Jose Canseco

Dave Concepcion

Eric Davis

Andre Dawson

Tony Fernandez

Steve Garvey

Rich "Goose" Gossage

Tony Gwynn

Orel Hershiser

Tommy John

Wally Joyner

Don Mattingly

Mark McGwire

Jack Morris

Dale Murphy

Paul O'Neill

Dave Parker

Jim Rice

Cal Ripken Jr.

Bret Saberhagen

Lee Smith

Alan Trammell

Devon White

Bobby Witt

Gwynn and Ripken are locks.

Looks like Goose has to wait another year. :(

What will happen with McGwire??

http://sports.iwon.com/news/11272006/v1432.html

NEW YORK (AP) -Mark McGwire, Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. headline the first-time candidates on the 2007 baseball writers' Hall of Fame ballot released Monday, sure to spark debate on Big Mac's place in history as the steroid era comes under renewed scrutiny.

Jose Canseco, whose book last year led to a congressional hearing on steroid use in baseball, also is on the ballot for the first time. Canseco said he used steroids along with McGwire when they were teammates.

McGwire denied using illegal performance-enhancing substances, but when he appeared before a congressional committee, he evaded questions. "I'm not here to talk about the past," was his repeated response.

McGwire finished his career with 583 home runs, seventh in baseball history while Canseco, a former MVP, is 30th at 462. Dave Kingman, 34th with 442, has the most home runs for a player who has been on the Hall of Fame ballot and was not elected.

Gwynn, an eight-time batting champion with San Diego, and Ripken, a two-time MVP with Baltimore, are considered likely to gain election on the first ballot. Ripken played in 2,632 consecutive games, breaking Lou Gehrig's record.

Bret Saberhagen, a two-time Cy Young Award winner, and former MVP Ken Caminiti also are among 17 players on the ballot for the first time along with Harold Baines, Dante Bichette, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner, Eric Davis, Tony Fernandez, Wally Joyner, Paul O'Neill, Devon White and Bobby Witt.

Jim Rice, who was 53 votes short of election last year, heads the 15 holdovers. Rich Gossage finished one vote behind Rice.

Reporters who have been in the BBWAA for 10 or more consecutive years are eligible to vote, and the totals will be announced Jan. 9.

The complete ballot:

Harold Baines

Albert Belle

Dante Bichette

Bert Blyleven

Bobby Bonilla

Scott Brosius

Jay Buhner

Ken Caminiti

Jose Canseco

Dave Concepcion

Eric Davis

Andre Dawson

Tony Fernandez

Steve Garvey

Rich "Goose" Gossage

Tony Gwynn

Orel Hershiser

Tommy John

Wally Joyner

Don Mattingly

Mark McGwire

Jack Morris

Dale Murphy

Paul O'Neill

Dave Parker

Jim Rice

Cal Ripken Jr.

Bret Saberhagen

Lee Smith

Alan Trammell

Devon White

Bobby Witt
McgwireRipken

Gwynn

Rice

I dont care if Mcgwire used steroids. He dominated. Same with Bonds, and Sosa. They are first ballot HOFers to me.

Arguement for Rice:

Black Ink: Batting - 33 (49) (Average HOFer ≈ 27)

Gray Ink: Batting - 176 (56) (Average HOFer ≈ 144)

HOF Monitor: Batting - 146.5 (82) (Likely HOFer > 100)

8 Time All Star

16 Seasons (74-89) ... Average Year: .298 AVG - 30 HR - 97 R - 113 RBI - .852 SLG%

Hopefully McGwire won't get in on the first ballot.
"FIRST BALLOT HOF" is the stupidest thing the blowhards on sports talk TV and Radio ever came up with. You're just a Hall of Famer. There's no distinction. "First Ballot" doesn't mean anything. There's no sense behind "Mr. X deserves to be in the HOF, just not on the first ballot." If he deserves it, he deserves it. I've been to the Hall in Cooperstown. There's no levels. There's no tiers. Babe Ruth's plaque isn't in the penthouse while Phil Rizzuto's out by the dumpsters. Babe Ruth is with his year of guys, Rizzuto's with his, and if McGwire goes he's in with his class and that's the end of it. Everyone's equal in the Hall because that's the way it is. Once you're in, you're in.In 10 years, the fans that the HOF is built for won't remember, nor care, how long it took someone to get in. It'll just be a dad walking his kid past a plaque and saying, "Daddy saw him play, and he was amazing."

Sorry Doc, but I just don't think Morris makes the cut...254 wins is solid, but a 3.90 ERA is just not HOF worthy, IMO, especially since it was pre-offensive explosion era baseball...In fact, in the 11 seasons between his 25 year old seasonand his 35 year old season, he had a worse than league average ERA 4 times...Gets points for his 91 series performance, but overall postseason #s are a solid but unspectacular 7-4, 3.80 ERA...I'd put Blyleven in the Hall over Morris...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Doc, but I just don't think Morris makes the cut...254 wins is solid, but a 3.90 ERA is just not HOF worthy, IMO, especially since it was pre-offensive explosion era baseball...

In fact, in the 11 seasons between his 25 year old seasonand his 35 year old season, he had a worse than league average ERA 4 times...

Gets points for his 91 series performance, but overall postseason #s are a solid but unspectacular 7-4, 3.80 ERA...

I'd put Blyleven in the Hall over Morris...
I'll put my case in later when I have time. Not a homer pick either otherwise I'd be screaming ALAN F'N TRAMMELL!

I dont care if Mcgwire used steroids. He dominated. Same with Bonds, and Sosa. They are first ballot HOFers to me.
The baseball HOF criteria for election are as follows:
5. Voting — Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.
McGwire's integrity and character take a MAJOR hit, IMO, based on the whole andro thing and his testimony before Congress...And that's without actually getting into the issue of whether he used steroids or not...Now I am fairly certain he did, which would even more dramatically negatively impact the integrity and character issues and also the sportsmanship criteria...But even without any direct evidence, by the criteria listed above, I am very comfortable leaving him off the ballot...

Sorry Doc, but I just don't think Morris makes the cut...254 wins is solid, but a 3.90 ERA is just not HOF worthy, IMO, especially since it was pre-offensive explosion era baseball...

In fact, in the 11 seasons between his 25 year old seasonand his 35 year old season, he had a worse than league average ERA 4 times...

Gets points for his 91 series performance, but overall postseason #s are a solid but unspectacular 7-4, 3.80 ERA...

I'd put Blyleven in the Hall over Morris...
I'll put my case in later when I have time. Not a homer pick either otherwise I'd be screaming ALAN F'N TRAMMELL!
Actually, Alan Trammell may have a better arguement than Morris for being in the Hall.

What's the criteria for actually getting on the ballot?Who makes that decision?
Eligibility:
3. Eligible Candidates — Candidates to be eligible must meet the following requirements: 1. A baseball player must have been active as a player in the Major Leagues at some time during a period beginning twenty (20) years before and ending five (5) years prior to election. 2. Player must have played in each of ten (10) Major League championship seasons, some part of which must have been within the period described in 3 (A). 3. Player shall have ceased to be an active player in the Major Leagues at least five (5) calendar years preceding the election but may be otherwise connected with baseball. 4. In case of the death of an active player or a player who has been retired for less than five (5) full years, a candidate who is otherwise eligible shall be eligible in the next regular election held at least six (6) months after the date of death or after the end of the five (5) year period, whichever occurs first. 5. Any player on Baseball's ineligible list shall not be an eligible candidate.

5. Voting — Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.
McGwire's integrity and character take a MAJOR hit, IMO, based on the whole andro thing and his testimony before Congress...And that's without actually getting into the issue of whether he used steroids or not...Now I am fairly certain he did, which would even more dramatically negatively impact the integrity and character issues and also the sportsmanship criteria...But even without any direct evidence, by the criteria listed above, I am very comfortable leaving him off the ballot...
Character? PleaseThere are a ton of ### holes in the HOF.

I see a big difference between just being a surly guy or ### hole (like Jim Rice or Eddie Murray) and the character issues I have with Mark McGwire...

McgwireRipkenGwynnRiceI dont care if Mcgwire used steroids. He dominated. Same with Bonds, and Sosa. They are first ballot HOFers to me.
:goodposting:I agree. I think the list above should all make it this year. Really hoping Rice finally gets his due.

:goodposting: If they can overlook Gaylord Perry's "Integrity issues", McGwire should skate in.

Morris should probably get more consideration than he has. People blindly look at numbers instead of remembering their value while they played. Morris was a huge force and clutch performer.

Goose dominated like few relievers. Trammel was a stud, bit I think I leave him off. Dawson was great but didn't dominate the game like other players with similar numbers.

Morris should probably get more consideration than he has. People blindly look at numbers instead of remembering their value while they played. Morris was a huge force and clutch performer.Goose dominated like few relievers. Trammel was a stud, bit I think I leave him off. Dawson was great but didn't dominate the game like other players with similar numbers.
Let's be honest: Morris wasn't that good. He had some great performances, but on balance he was just a nudge above the mean. That's not a HOFer.Goose is also being remembered selectively. Taken as an aggregate, his stats are far less impressive than most are remembering. However, Sutter getting in improves his chances dramatically. I don't think Sutter should have been elected, especially since he didn't play all that long.I'd love to see Trammell get in. His slugging numbers are pretty weak, but at SS it's passable. He's basically a white Barry Larkin, so if one gets in, the other will probably have to as well.Never cared much for Dawson, although he's a rare case where I think I remember him being worse than he was. Must have been the WGN effect.

Morris should probably get more consideration than he has. People blindly look at numbers instead of remembering their value while they played. Morris was a huge force and clutch performer.Goose dominated like few relievers. Trammel was a stud, bit I think I leave him off. Dawson was great but didn't dominate the game like other players with similar numbers.
Blyleven and Morris should get in before the failed starter Gossage.Do you not believe that Blyleven and hit curve and Morris and his split couldn't have dominated for 1 inning every 2 or three days? Instead they took the pill every 4th day and pitched 8+ innings.NO MORE FAILED STARTERS IN THE HALL!!!!!

McgwireRipkenGwynnRiceI dont care if Mcgwire used steroids. He dominated. Same with Bonds, and Sosa. They are first ballot HOFers to me.
Bonds should never even be mentioned in the same sentence as Sosa and McGwire, unless the words steroids is also in there somewhere. Bonds was a way better player than either of these guys ever hoped to be.McGwire dominated? If he was so dominant, where are his MVP award(s)? He came in the top 5 in MVP voting 3 times in 16 years. Frankly, that doesn't sound so dominant to me. Sounds like a very good player, maybe Mo Vaughn good (who actually won an MVP award).Rice was a way better player than McGwire was and didn't need the help of steroids to do so.

Bonds should never even be mentioned in the same sentence as Sosa and McGwire, unless the words steroids is also in there somewhere. Bonds was a way better player than either of these guys ever hoped to be.McGwire dominated? If he was so dominant, where are his MVP award(s)? He came in the top 5 in MVP voting 3 times in 16 years. Frankly, that doesn't sound so dominant to me. Sounds like a very good player, maybe Mo Vaughn good (who actually won an MVP award).Rice was a way better player than McGwire was and didn't need the help of steroids to do so.
You know for a fact that Rice was steroid free?

You know for a fact that Rice was steroid free?
I'll swear to it under a Congressional panel to it if need be.

Ripken

Gwynn

McGwire

The real question is will Ripken or Gwynn get more than 98.84% of the ballots...

Let's be honest: Morris wasn't that good. He had some great performances, but on balance he was just a nudge above the mean. That's not a HOFer.Goose is also being remembered selectively. Taken as an aggregate, his stats are far less impressive than most are remembering. However, Sutter getting in improves his chances dramatically. I don't think Sutter should have been elected, especially since he didn't play all that long.I'd love to see Trammell get in. His slugging numbers are pretty weak, but at SS it's passable. He's basically a white Barry Larkin, so if one gets in, the other will probably have to as well.Never cared much for Dawson, although he's a rare case where I think I remember him being worse than he was. Must have been the WGN effect.
If you take out 1976 when the White Sox made him a starter, Gossage had a 10 year run (75, 77-85) where he put up sick #'s, even better than Sutter's. This is also in a time where closers didn't just pitch the 9th.Closers have become a huge part of the game, and these guys were the pioneers. It would be a shame if Goose didn't make it.

I wasnt comparing their abilities to Bonds, I was comparing the steroid questions. Relax dude.McGwires OPS+ from 1992 -2000 was phenomenal. He dominated for a decade. Mo Vaughn is not in the same category as McGwire.McGwire has the 10th highest career SLG. He is 7th in all-time HRs. He is 11th in career OPS+. He is first in AB/HR. The guy was a stud. Deal with it.

I wasnt comparing their abilities to Bonds, I was comparing the steroid questions. Relax dude.McGwires OPS+ from 1992 -2000 was phenomenal. He dominated for a decade. Mo Vaughn is not in the same category as McGwire.McGwire has the 10th highest career SLG. He is 7th in all-time HRs. He is 11th in career OPS+. He is first in AB/HR. The guy was a stud. Deal with it.
Mo Vaughn actually compares very favorably to Mark McGwire stat-wise. Both were butchers in the field, put up gaudy offensive numbers for a decade and both were loved by the fans and media alike. It just so happens Vaughn's career was cut short.McGwire steroid induced stats were certainly gaudy and he'll likely be voted in, but in my mind, he was not a hall of fame caliber player. He was a drug enchanced home run hitter who never really was as good as you thought he was. If he was so stud like, maybe one MVP award, just one?

Mo Vaughn actually compares very favorably to Mark McGwire stat-wise. Both were butchers in the field, put up gaudy offensive numbers for a decade and both were loved by the fans and media alike. It just so happens Vaughn's career was cut short.McGwire steroid induced stats were certainly gaudy and he'll likely be voted in, but in my mind, he was not a hall of fame caliber player. He was a drug enchanced home run hitter who never really was as good as you thought he was. If he was so stud like, maybe one MVP award, just one?
Maybe you can point me to the rules that say one must win an MVP to get into the HOF?I guess Tony Gwinn aint getting in either.

It will probably be Ripken and Gwynn this year. I see Rice falling short again, even though IMO he should be in. I think Blyleven and Gossage will eventually get in, but Burt is running out of time. How many years does Blyleven have left on the ballot?

Also, I think Alan Trammell deserves to make it but will not for the following reasons:

1. Overshadowed at the posistion by Ripken and Ozzie. Also played during the same time as Robin Yount, Tony Fernandez and Barry Larkin who were pretty decent shortstops during that time period.

2. When you think of Trammell you also think of Whitaker. These 2 are linked together so much that I think voters have overlooked what they accomplished during their careers.

3. Face it, Detroit was not a media darling team in the 80s and Tram did not get a lot of press while he was active.

Mo Vaughn had a nice stretch.

Too bad his best year in that run was about equal to McGwire's worst year in his run.

I hate to look at numbers for guys nor do I like to say "if so and so got in, he should too". Either they were a very dominating player for a reasonably long period of time or they shouldn't get in.I base my thoughts on Morris mostly on memory. He seemed awfully dominant to me. He won a ton of games in the 80s. But while I may disagree about Morris with you, I agree that he probably should not get in. Just not quite dominant enough for a long enough time. Close though.I loved Trammell as I was a Tigers fan, but he's quite there for me.I completely agree with everything you said about Dawson. I just never thought he was one of the best players in the game at any point.

If you take out 1976 when the White Sox made him a starter, Gossage had a 10 year run (75, 77-85) where he put up sick #'s, even better than Sutter's. This is also in a time where closers didn't just pitch the 9th.Closers have become a huge part of the game, and these guys were the pioneers. It would be a shame if Goose didn't make it.
Goose did have a nice run until about 1985, no question. I still don't really understand how Sutter got in with just a shade over 1000 IP. Goose's 1981 season is a little misleading as it was only about 46 IP for the entire season, but anytime you have a sub 1.00 ERA you're doing something right.Interestingly, Goose never really sniffed a Cy Young award and had an adjusted ERA that pales in comparison to what modern closers are putting up. Sutter looks better on those metrics, but also pitched many fewer innings. Personally, I'd rather see the standard be someone like Hoyt Wilhelm for closers. Closers are nearly impossible to gauge properly, but my feeling is that a guy like Wilhelm was a true pioneer. Goose doesn't quite measure up in my mind.

' date='Nov 27 2006, 12:42 PM' post='5967796']JIM RICE
Then Andre Dawson should get in too.
Rice was considered by many to be the best and most feared hitter in the game for a decade.Dawson never was. He was always considered very good and had some MVP type seasons (he won once), but I rarely thought he was the best in the game.

RipkenGwynnMcGwireThe real question is will Ripken or Gwynn get more than 98.84% of the ballots...
Ripken has a shot at getting the highest % ever - but there are still a few ##### writers who never vote anyone on the first ballot. These people should have there voting privileges revoked.

Users who are viewing this thread