What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (2 Viewers)

yeah, #### me. I have no idea how you give that to Davis, if it is based on those takedowns that is horrible. no damage landed, and Machida defended 3 times the amount of takedowns that landed. total :bs: , but machida does need to do more to make certain he has those rounds

Machida's passive style lends itself to really close decisions. The first Rua fight, Rampage, Henderson and of course Davis all could've gone either way.

That said, I thought he won tonight.

I left as soon as the fight ended not even considering the possibility that Machida would lose that decision. I just got back and don't get it. Maybe good news for Zombie?

I left as soon as the fight ended not even considering the possibility that Machida would lose that decision. I just got back and don't get it. Maybe good news for Zombie?
i was thinking this too. the decision made no sense at all. I agree the rounds were close, but every single MMA site gave that fight to Machida, i hate sounding :tinfoilhat: , but the line on the fight moved a lot before the fight, just real strange

He kept calling it a separated shoulder. That was a dislocation. Completely different injury. Boring night all in all. Glad I streamed instead of paid.

I really really really wanted that Pettis - Aldo fight. You can at least say that KZ made Aldo respect him. Almost no leg kicks and was looking to counter a lot instead of pressing the action with his speed. It may have been a conscious decision to slow the pace down some since he's gassed late before.

Aldo injured his foot early in rd 1.

Jose Aldo had a good reason for neglecting his devastating low kicks during his UFC 163 victory over Chan Sung Jung at HSBC Arena in Rio de Janeiro.

According to Aldo, who stopped “The Korean Zombie” in the fourth round of their pay-per-view headliner, his right foot might be broken.

“When the fight started, the first thing I did was kick him, and he [checked it with] his knee. I don’t know if I broke my foot. It’s very swollen,” Aldo (Pictured, file photo) said at the post-fight press conference. “We tried to control [the fight] in a different way. Everyone always expects me to be throwing low kicks, but I’m a complete fighter, and I always try to practice everything. Wherever the fight goes, I try to use all my weapons. I have a whole arsenal of weapons for whoever is out there.”

I love Machida's reasoning: “I don’t know what they are judging. Just listen to the crowd. They’re telling you what happened.” No #### they thought you won, you're in ####### Brazil.

I love Machida's reasoning: “I don’t know what they are judging. Just listen to the crowd. They’re telling you what happened.” No #### they thought you won, you're in ####### Brazil.
yeah, that rubbed me wrong, too. I hope (as someone said above) that this is a wake up call for Machida to be more aggressive. I get the whole 'waiting for an opening' thing, but c'mon, broseph.

I've never got why Machida's not gotten more negative press for having some of the worst to watch MMA bouts you'll ever see.

Absolutely thrilled he was 'pushed back in the line' after declining the Jones fight. (valid reason for declining, but his fights are so ####### boring I agree 100% with Dana for not catering to his terms on a Jones' rematch)

Just ironic when he says listen to the crowd now. Because you can hear a pin drop in the majority of his fights. Last night's decision will go down as one of the more memorable moments for me. Glad he lost and won't be a contender for a title bout.

Based on what I'm hearing from you guys, it sounds like the fights kind of sucked overall?

Some of the prelims were alright, but I wasn't super impressed with those either.

Fox card looks good.
Yeah, you mean the Fox Sports 1 card right? it's certainly set up to be an exciting one. I hope Uriah Hall is a little more comfortable in the cage, and I hope Dooomsday chooses to stand with him. I hope Overeem bounces back too, he is saying the right things right now. Definitely like the under with him taking on Browne, they both will come out like bulls in a china shop. Uriah Faber i think is on it too.

I actually just looked at the card, I would be pissed if i bought tickets to that Brazil show, and this was the next card. They stacked it from head to toe. The prelim card is stacked with Brandao, Mike Brown vs. Steven Siler, Colin McGregor and then Mike McDonald vs. Brad Pickett. That is 4 superb fights in a row, and I can guarantee we won't see any lay and pray in any of them. And I see Iuri Alcantara is taking on Faber, Faber is a beast in non-title fights, but Alcantara has been looking better too.

I honestly don't see one fight on the televised card that will be boring, only one that can potentially be is Shogun-Sonnen.

Man, i wish i would have known this card looked this sweet when the tickets were released for it. Not a fan of Boston, but would have made the trip to see this card.

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 6 p.m. ET)

PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 4:30 p.m. ET)

ETA: Vick - Nijem can have a bang fest too, and I look forward to seeing how OSP looks. Really isn't a boring fight on this card. If you were ever thinking about going to a UFC card, this would be it. I can't see one fight that would slow down the pace of the card

Last edited by a moderator:
Fox card looks good.
Yeah, you mean the Fox Sports 1 card right? it's certainly set up to be an exciting one. I hope Uriah Hall is a little more comfortable in the cage, and I hope Dooomsday chooses to stand with him. I hope Overeem bounces back too, he is saying the right things right now. Definitely like the under with him taking on Browne, they both will come out like bulls in a china shop. Uriah Faber i think is on it too.

I actually just looked at the card, I would be pissed if i bought tickets to that Brazil show, and this was the next card. They stacked it from head to toe. The prelim card is stacked with Brandao, Mike Brown vs. Steven Siler, Colin McGregor and then Mike McDonald vs. Brad Pickett. That is 4 superb fights in a row, and I can guarantee we won't see any lay and pray in any of them. And I see Iuri Alcantara is taking on Faber, Faber is a beast in non-title fights, but Alcantara has been looking better too.

I honestly don't see one fight on the televised card that will be boring, only one that can potentially be is Shogun-Sonnen.

Man, i wish i would have known this card looked this sweet when the tickets were released for it. Not a fan of Boston, but would have made the trip to see this card.

MAIN CARD (FOX Sports 1, 8 p.m. ET)

PRELIMINARY CARD (FOX Sports 1, 6 p.m. ET)
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 4:30 p.m. ET)
ETA: Vick - Nijem can have a bang fest too, and I look forward to seeing how OSP looks. Really isn't a boring fight on this card. If you were ever thinking about going to a UFC card, this would be it. I can't see one fight that would slow down the pace of the card
And if any of the televised cards ends quickly, even the Facebook fights look interesting. This is the best balanced top to bottom card I can remember.

If I wasn't afraid the views would suck, I almost considered getting tickets for this to see live here in my back yard.

After a vote today Sonnen was granted his license to fight in Massachusetts. A couple of organizations went after him but they did not sway the commission.

Here was the COW's, I mean NOW's statement

BOSTON – Today, the Massachusetts National Organization for Women (Mass. NOW) called on state athletic regulators to deny a professional unarmed combat license to Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) fighter Chael P. Sonnen, who has a federal conviction for money laundering and has repeatedly made derogatory statements about women, Brazilians, and other minority groups. Sonnen is scheduled to compete in a UFC event at the TD Garden on August 17th.

Mass. NOW, along with several other advocacy groups, sent letters asking that Sonnen be denied a professional fighter’s license. The letters were sent to Massachusetts Public Safety Secretary Andrea Cabral and to Massachusetts State Athletic Commission chairperson LaTeisha Adams, who oversee the regulation of unarmed combat in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

“Mr. Sonnen has repeatedly made shockingly derogatory statements about women, people of color, homosexuals, immigrants, and other minorities. He has tested positive for a banned substance, made public remarks promoting criminal violence, and has been convicted of money laundering,” wrote Mass. NOW Policy and Operations Manager, Ellie Adair. “For the last 45 years, Mass. NOW has fought against sexism, racism, and domestic violence. Right now, part of that fight is ensuring that Chael Sonnen is denied a license to compete in Massachusetts.”

Under the Code of Massachusetts Regulations (CMR), the Athletic Commission has the authority to deny the license of any fighter who is “arrested or convicted on a charge involving moral turpitude” or has “conducted themselves at any time or place in a manner which is deemed by the Commission to reflect discredit to unarmed combat.”

In its letter to the Athletic Commission, Mass. NOW maintained that Sonnen’s 2011 conviction for money laundering qualifies as an act of “moral turpitude,” and his repeated derogatory statements and use of a banned substance “reflect discredit to unarmed combat.” The letter argued that given these violations of the Athletic Commission’s own regulations, Sonnen should be denied a professional unarmed combat license in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.

I'd buy just for Overeem. Feels very similar to what happened to Silva and want to see if he changes.

I'd buy just for Overeem. Feels very similar to what happened to Silva and want to see if he changes.
i think a big one in this one is if the KO Reem took has any lasting effects or not, and how strong of a chin Browne has. Both guys pack a lot of heat, and this will be one that we could see some down time for the first few minutes because they have to feel eachother out, but once they start swinging they both have enough power with one shot that it should be quick.

and one big thing i am really looking forward to with this card is all the pre-fight interviews with Dana when they ask him about what he thinks about the PPV of Tito-Rampage, and what his thoughts are of both guys being in TNA. I hope they catch Dana is an especially bitter or chipper mood, and he goes on a nice rant about it. it is like Bellator threw him a nice soft ball he can just tee up on them. Funny enough though, this stupid stuff has me turning on TNA wrestling tonight to see how bad Tito or Rampage will be. I see Tito came out to oppose Kurt Angle and I am just crossing fingers that they gave him a microphone

I think Dana already did comment on Tito, saying something like "Who the #### wants to see Tito? The guy hasn't won (won once) in 3 years.

Amazing to think this guy has won ONE time in almost 7 years.

Cliff Clavin said:
that is pretty sweet.

on some side notes:

1) WSOF is pretty good. good match making and hopefully they have a long term strategy. so far so good though

2) not sure if anybody is into twitter here, but a must follow if you are is War Machine. the guy is a legit train wreck

Jesus, the jokes keep coming. watching WSOF and Josh Burkman wants to retire in a few years to get into politics and run for senator :loco:

This stuff tends to come down to the last second but damn this would suck if they don't get these deals done for the big card leading off FS1.

According to a report from Sports Business Daily, DirecTV, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks have not yet reached a deal with Fox on carrier fees for the network. Absent a deal in the next five days, that leaves 47 million subscribers who will not have access to the UFC's five hours of live fights on the channel.

Last edited by a moderator:
This stuff tends to come down to the last second but damn this would suck if they don't get these deals done for the big card leading off FS1.

According to a report from Sports Business Daily, DirecTV, Dish Network, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks have not yet reached a deal with Fox on carrier fees for the network. Absent a deal in the next five days, that leaves 47 million subscribers who will not have access to the UFC's five hours of live fights on the channel.
Yeah, this stuff is always crap, but i can't see anyway these networks would screw this up. It is an interesting topic when you hear both sides of the prices the channels are charging and what the carriers have to shell out for them. But yeah, if there was ever "the boy who cries wolf" m.o. with business i hear these are it. the killer is that this card is on the first night it is to go live, so if they have their pissing contest and miss this card it will be bad news for everybody.

i guess one of these days the providers will have to stick to their guns, but i can't see it happening with Fox and their channels.

Users who are viewing this thread