What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (1 Viewer)

Fight Master tv slot is changing

Ratings for last week's episode of "Fight Master: Bellator MMA" dipped to a series low on Spike TV, going under 400,000 viewers for the first time. That prompted the unusual step for Spike of not only switching the show's time-slot, but changing the night it airs as well.

This week's eighth episode will not be airing on Wednesday nights as it has since June, and instead will follow TNA's Impact Wrestling on Thursday night at 11PM ET.

This type of mid-season time shift happens on network television from time to time, but it's not a good sign when it does. "Fight Master" was losing significant numbers from Cops as a lead in, and with erratic numbers from week to week Spike and Viacom are feeling the need to get the show behind one of their more consistently performing properties.

Last edited by a moderator:
So i was checking to see if they released a line for the Eddie Alvarez - Chandler fight yet, and i see they have one for Tito-Ramapge. it is:

Tito +230

Rampage -310

I think this fight will be horrible, and was thinking i could not put money on either guy because they both are not desirable to back with any money at all. But either one of them bring more than +200 has me thinking it may be worth a little change. I mean neither guy is dominant in the least bit at this point, and I am not sure what Rampage can do to win a 3 round fight against Tito (Man, i hope it is 3 rounds. if it is 5 rounds :X ). My guess about how the fight will go is Rampage will throw one punch combos trying to swing for the fences and take Tito's head off. He will have zero defensive striking, and won't even bother moving his head or checking anything. I think Tito can probably get a takedown on Rampage at some point, and i would guess Rampage won't be able to get up if Tito can land a takedown. So does it make sense to take a flier on tito here?

i can't believe i am even thinking about this fight. i would rather analyze Kimbo Slice vs. Bob Sapp or something

Got to take Rampage here.

Good lord if he loses. His already fading career is dead. I also hope...pray.....it's a 3 round fight.
I don't know, I am not sure what Rampage's path to victory is. I am basing this on the last 3 years or so of what we have seen from Rampage. He won't take Tito down, which is a good thing. He certainly doesn't have that good of stand up, he is slow as molasses and telegraphs his shots like crazy. I can't remember the last time we saw Rampage hit somebody with some solid power to stun somebody. He may have got Bader with a shot in their fight, but outside of that i just can't think of a time lately where Rampage has stunned somebody. granted Tito sucks too, but in actuality a lot of his fights lately have been close. The Forrest fights were close,and I think Tito actually should have won their last one. I can't remember who else Tito was matched up with, but for the life of me i just don't know what rampage is able to do anymore fight wise.

ETA: I'm glad to hear Rampage keep talking up the fight with him and Roy Jones jr. though. http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/8/13/4618488/rampage-jackson-says-roy-jones-jr-plan-was-boxing-and-mma-bouts-talks

I have always been a Roy Jones fan, and the guy is just old as dirt these days, so i would love to see him come out for an extra pay day and just light up Rampage like a Christmas tree. Roy is simply a shell of his former self, but there isn't any reason to think he wouldn't obliterate Rampage in a boxing match. I'm not sure Rampage would be able to land 1 shot on him

That's pretty much what I do every time I look in the bathroom mirror (minus the bad cartwheels of course) :headbang: Optimus

i don't know this hype train seems to be going 80 mph with no brakes. He should beat Halloway this weekend, but he has a long way to go yet. feathweight has some good guys in it now, i just hope they give him a good test on one of the end of the year cards. i know they don't want to throw him to the wolves, but i'll wait to get excited until we see how he does against a grinder like Guida or Lentz. Tons of exciting potential fights though. Be fun to see him take on Dennis Siver after Siver's latest loss to Cub.

ETA: thank God for Brian Stann retiring. I hate to constantly bag on the guy, but holy hell is his commentating annoying. i don't know why it irks as much as it does, but it is piercing.

Ratings for last week's episode of "Fight Master: Bellator MMA" dipped to a series low on Spike TV, going under 400,000 viewers for the first time. That prompted the unusual step for Spike of not only switching the show's time-slot, but changing the night it airs as well.

This week's eighth episode will not be airing on Wednesday nights as it has since June, and instead will follow TNA's Impact Wrestling on Thursday night at 11PM ET.

This type of mid-season time shift happens on network television from time to time, but it's not a good sign when it does. "Fight Master" was losing significant numbers from Cops as a lead in, and with erratic numbers from week to week Spike and Viacom are feeling the need to get the show behind one of their more consistently performing properties.
I am really digging Fight Master. I like seeing the coaching stuff, and I like that they do two fights each week. TUF gets pretty boring and stupid with all the house antics. I actually prefer Fight Master to TUF.

I am really digging Fight Master. I like seeing the coaching stuff, and I like that they do two fights each week. TUF gets pretty boring and stupid with all the house antics. I actually prefer Fight Master to TUF.
TUF has certainly put more focus on the fights then they did 2-3 years ago. I just think Fight Master seems so fabricated and set up, and how all the coaches are mic'd so we can hear every moment of Joe Warren or Shamrock talking crap gets old after a bit. I still keep up with it, but the quality of the fighters seems below those on TUF too. i know that is a blanket statement because TUF has had some bad one's too, but it just seems like the already thin market of reality MMA prospects has been further pushed. I'm just being negative here too, because i have kept up with it, but i think i have also soured on Bellator pretty much with the whole pushing of Tito and Rampage and stuff.

What's going to be ugly is if they can muster enough support for Fight Master season 2. Seems like a perfect spot to throw Tito and Rampage, and hearing them every week will tire quickly, i think.

i don't know this hype train seems to be going 80 mph with no brakes. He should beat Halloway this weekend, but he has a long way to go yet. feathweight has some good guys in it now, i just hope they give him a good test on one of the end of the year cards. i know they don't want to throw him to the wolves, but i'll wait to get excited until we see how he does against a grinder like Guida or Lentz. Tons of exciting potential fights though. Be fun to see him take on Dennis Siver after Siver's latest loss to Cub.

ETA: thank God for Brian Stann retiring. I hate to constantly bag on the guy, but holy hell is his commentating annoying. i don't know why it irks as much as it does, but it is piercing.
I agree the hype train is going overboard. I just love watching exciting strikers which he seems to be and he's a good ol' Irish boy who I have to root for. From the sounds of it he has little to no ground game he'll probably get dry humped to death by any good wrestler.

I agree the hype train is going overboard. I just love watching exciting strikers which he seems to be and he's a good ol' Irish boy who I have to root for. From the sounds of it he has little to no ground game he'll probably get dry humped to death by any good wrestler.
i'd like to see him change his camp to one of the top one's here in North America, and get some serious work with some of the wrestlers over here. If he doesn't, i'm not sure he won't fizzle out as bad as Uriah Hall. It's funny he is on the same card as him. I would love to see him work with Rufus' team, or the TriStar guys, or Alliance MMA (i think that is D. Cruz's, Phil Davis, and Michael Chandler's camp, right?)

Speaking of Uriah Hall, and i really think we could talk about almost every fight on this card because they should all be "fun", i am glad they were going to put him up against Salmon, and now Howard. I think Howard is a tougher match-up for him, but i think everybody would love to see him get a win this weekend and get some of that hype back a bit. Even if you didn't like his personality, you can't argue that he has some nice potential as an exciting fighter

Nick Diaz offered a fight against Machida at 185 :excited:

ETA: Just looked at the lines for the first time for this weekend... Shogun is a dog!?!?!? Wow. I was expecting -250 or so.

Is anyone seeing FS1 showing up in their guides yet?

I was hoping to set my DVR for tomorrow but nothing is showing up on Direct TV for me at either the old Speed location or the new 219 location.

Matt Brown almost missed his weight. Came in at 171.5 and Dana looked like he wanted to kill him. He took off what little he had left on and just got to 171.

Faber looks more cut than I have ever seen him (never saw him at a weigh in, he may look different tomorrow). He has at least an 8 pack.

Somewhat looking forward to this one, although it's more for the undercard and first few main event fights than the main events. Shogun vs Sonnen? Really?

Somewhat looking forward to this one, although it's more for the undercard and first few main event fights than the main events. Shogun vs Sonnen? Really?
This card is so good for the first time I am trying to figure out how to watch the facebook fights. Even if the main event is meh, this should be a fun night of fights.

ESPN asking Connor McGregor if he was worried about being thrown to the wolves too early.

:wolf: :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: Connor McGregor: "I am the wolf" :wolf: :wolf: :wolf: :wolf:
Man this guy knows how to do it. There is no way to not like this guy. The hype is way out of hand with him, and i just hope he gets lined up with the right trainers and training partners to last awhile. I'm sure everybody at the UFC thinks the same thing as well

And the politicians in Boston sound like one of the most corrupt cities out there, and this is coming from a guy who lives in Philadelphia and sees outright corruption all the time. The latest clip is great with the president of the city council, a pretty big deal in city politics, stating how the "UFC promotes violence against women, and teaches kids how to rape" (http://www.mmamania.com/2013/8/16/4629042/stephen-murphy-ufc-teaches-kids-to-rape-promotes-violence-women-boston-city-council-president). the push to ban everyone under 18 from going to any MMA events is just insane. it would be hilarious if it wasn't a major political figure in a pretty big city.

Cliff Clavin said:

ETA: Just looked at the lines for the first time for this weekend... Shogun is a dog!?!?!? Wow. I was expecting -250 or so.
I'm having a hard time finding too many fights with great value out there. Really sucks how the MMA lines have gotten much sharper, i hope they fall off during the football season with less attention coming to these cards.

and i think the odds for that main event are actually pretty spot on. It isn't like Chael has looked bad in his last few fights, fighting Silva and Jones makes all the fights tough. I'm glad Shogun was training with Freddie Roach so much, and other things i have read make it sound like he is really training for this fight, but Chael took down Anderson almost at will, and i think he can do similar here as long as he doesn't get caught first. and i don't think that Shogun has the speed to catch him anymore

And the politicians in Boston sound like one of the most corrupt cities out there, and this is coming from a guy who lives in Philadelphia and sees outright corruption all the time. The latest clip is great with the president of the city council, a pretty big deal in city politics, stating how the "UFC promotes violence against women, and teaches kids how to rape" (http://www.mmamania.com/2013/8/16/4629042/stephen-murphy-ufc-teaches-kids-to-rape-promotes-violence-women-boston-city-council-president). the push to ban everyone under 18 from going to any MMA events is just insane. it would be hilarious if it wasn't a major political figure in a pretty big city.
Better ban Patriots games since they teach kids how to murder.

[

Sounds similar to the group that went after Sonnen to deny his license

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=447349&p=15805453

This culinary union is a beef with the Fertitta's I believe. Story's came out about this mess a few weeks ago

http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_17899.shtml

Cliff Clavin said:

I'm having a hard time finding too many fights with great value out there. Really sucks how the MMA lines have gotten much sharper, i hope they fall off during the football season with less attention coming to these cards.

and i think the odds for that main event are actually pretty spot on. It isn't like Chael has looked bad in his last few fights, fighting Silva and Jones makes all the fights tough. I'm glad Shogun was training with Freddie Roach so much, and other things i have read make it sound like he is really training for this fight, but Chael took down Anderson almost at will, and i think he can do similar here as long as he doesn't get caught first. and i don't think that Shogun has the speed to catch him anymore
I just don't see how Sonnen wins. He hasn't won at LHW since 2006 now he is going to step up there and beat Shogun? How? He definitely isn't going to KO him. Can't see him subbing him unless it is reeeal late and Shogun is gassed, which I guess is a possibility. But for that to happen, Sonnen has to not get caught in a sub or KO'd. I dunno, I'm going in heavy on Shogun. Sonnen has just talked his way into another fight he can't win IMO.

Cliff Clavin said:

I just don't see how Sonnen wins. He hasn't won at LHW since 2006 now he is going to step up there and beat Shogun? How? He definitely isn't going to KO him. Can't see him subbing him unless it is reeeal late and Shogun is gassed, which I guess is a possibility. But for that to happen, Sonnen has to not get caught in a sub or KO'd. I dunno, I'm going in heavy on Shogun. Sonnen has just talked his way into another fight he can't win IMO.
It is one of those fights that can go either way i think. Anderson is a strong and big 185'er, and Chael took him down pretty easily (with a broken rib though). I think what will play a factor here is the judges. And with the card being in boston, I am not sure about the athletic commission up there and who they may bring on as judges (i would look them up, but honestly just feeling lazy). I think Chael will get takedowns, maybe more than 1 in a round or 2. So the fight may come down to how the judges value that, since i don't necessarily see Shogun knocking Chael out, and i have to think Chael can avoid a triangle at this point. If Chael can avoid getting knocked silly, which i think he can do after training for Jones and Silva, i think he can steal a decision here.

I really think the judging will be crucial for this one. And of course maybe I am still still feeling bummed from that machida-Davis fight, and might be over-valuing the takedowns. Without a doubt Chael does talk his way into fights, but he always shows up in shape and prepared to fight. If he can avoid getting killed in the first round, I think he can grind Shogun over the next 2 and win the most boring fight of the night

ETA: And I can't help but think of the Shogun we saw against Mark Coleman and Forrest Griffin. I know that was awhile ago, and he seems to be on point better now, but his inconsistency is just crazy. Hard to know which Shogun will show up, and i didn't see the weigh-ins to see what kind of shape he is in

NewlyRetired said:
Is anyone seeing FS1 showing up in their guides yet?

I was hoping to set my DVR for tomorrow but nothing is showing up on Direct TV for me at either the old Speed location or the new 219 location.
It is 219 for me.

Love Sonnen at +110. It's pretty clear what Sonnen's path to victory is. And he does it pretty damn well. And will do it against a guy with no gas tank. Strong wrestlers like Sonnen are an auto bet for me at a plus number unless it's against truly elite competition (i.e. Anderson Silva.)

Guess I'm on my own with Shogun. Sonnen will get a few takedowns but I don't think he can hold Shogun down for long. On the feet, Shogun is going to pummel him.

Guess I'm on my own with Shogun. Sonnen will get a few takedowns but I don't think he can hold Shogun down for long. On the feet, Shogun is going to pummel him.
He's shown a penchant for gassing. Sonnen's grinding style will have effect Shogun's effectiveness by no later than midway through the fight IMO. If Sonnen avoids any deadly combos, I think he takes a decision.

Love Sonnen at +110. It's pretty clear what Sonnen's path to victory is. And he does it pretty damn well. And will do it against a guy with no gas tank. Strong wrestlers like Sonnen are an auto bet for me at a plus number unless it's against truly elite competition (i.e. Anderson Silva.)
stupid line is +130 now, wish i had waited a bit

stupid line is +130 now, wish i had waited a bit
And Overeem down to -175
i just grabbed Faber at -205. that is a feasible play, he opened at -280 i think. and i think i will ride Ubereem at that number, depending how some of these other plays turn out

Love that they are openly broadcasting and talking about betting lines. Big push to make this more interesting for the casual crowd.

Love that they are openly broadcasting and talking about betting lines. Big push to make this more interesting for the casual crowd.
and hopefully bring in more general action on the lines. we could see McGreggor -1000 next fight no matter who he is fighting

and Brandao looks real good. His work with Greg Jackson has developed his game great, i think he will be a mainstay in the division for awhile and will be top 5 at some point in the next year

He's shown a penchant for gassing. Sonnen's grinding style will have effect Shogun's effectiveness by no later than midway through the fight IMO. If Sonnen avoids any deadly combos, I think he takes a decision.
Agree with this. I don't think Shogun is really looking for competitive fights anymore. Which means he thinks Sonnen is beatable (true), but he seems like he's in Rampage mode and won't be training all that hard for this fight. He can and should win, but I don't expect much out of him anymore.

Agree with this. I don't think Shogun is really looking for competitive fights anymore. Which means he thinks Sonnen is beatable (true), but he seems like he's in Rampage mode and won't be training all that hard for this fight. He can and should win, but I don't expect much out of him anymore.
The fact that he's putting in work with Freddie Roach means nothing to me. He's a great striker, much better than Sonnen. We know this. If he really CARED about this fight, we'd have heard he was putting in extra work in the wrestling department.

PARLAY (5 TEAMS)
[24202] CHAEL SONNEN +130
(MAURICIO RUA vrs CHAEL SONNEN)
[24206] ALISTAIR OVEREEM -175
(TRAVIS BROWNE vrs ALISTAIR OVEREEM)
[24213] MIKE PYLE +130
(MIKE PYLE vrs MATT BROWN)
[24233] STEVEN SILER +175
(STEVEN SILER vrs MIKE BROWN)
[24238] DIEGO BRANDAO -210
(DANIEL PINEDA vrs DIEGO BRANDAO)

C'mon baby, 3 more to a nice pay day.

PARLAY (5 TEAMS)

[24202] CHAEL SONNEN +130

(MAURICIO RUA vrs CHAEL SONNEN)

[24206] ALISTAIR OVEREEM -175

(TRAVIS BROWNE vrs ALISTAIR OVEREEM)

[24213] MIKE PYLE +130

(MIKE PYLE vrs MATT BROWN)

[24233] STEVEN SILER +175

(STEVEN SILER vrs MIKE BROWN)

[24238] DIEGO BRANDAO -210

(DANIEL PINEDA vrs DIEGO BRANDAO)

C'mon baby, 3 more to a nice pay day.
nice, looks good. I would be concerned about the Pyle leg and maybe put a little on Brown to balance it out if you need it. but yeah, i had 2 parlays and i let the lines dictate my plays and got nervous about too many dogs.

Small enough risk that I'll be letting it ride. 16:1 though.

Really been impressed with Pyle. I think he knows what he has at stake, takes this to the floor to be safe, and subs Brown at some point.

Well his ground game was certainly better than advertised. Impressive performance. Seems like he may have gassed a bit towards the end.

ETA: Guess it was a knee injury and not gassing.

Users who are viewing this thread