What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (8 Viewers)

Jones and Gustafsson both being taken to the hospital and won't be at the post-fight conference.

FoTN: Jones v Gustafsson

KOoTN: Barao

SoTN: Gagnon (I thought this sub was better but thought they'd give it to Schaub).
Interesting that Barao won KO because I thought it may hve been an early stopage.

I think Jones won. He's got 4 and 5. He only needs one other round on two of the cards, and they were close enough I think he gets that.
:goodposting: Pretty much exactly what I thought when they were announcing scores.

Greatest title fight ever? I'm kind of drawing a blank to think of one that compares but I'm sure there is. Anybody?
Aldo - Hominick was pretty badass.
Yeah that was a good one. GSP Condit was a good battle too

Just because Jones didn't dominate like he was supposed to doesn't mean he didn't win. I think it's very tough to score the first three rounds all for Gustafsson unless you just don't like Jones. I thought he took rounds 2, 4, and 5 and considered 1 and 3 to be toss-ups.

Jones won 2 rds and Gust won 2 rds, and it was very close on one rnd any way you slice it.

Jones won 4 and 5 while Gust won 1and 3. Round 2 was 50/50. Tie goes to the champ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Without a doubt, Gus won the first 2:00 of the 5th round, not even close. Jones takes him down then and doesn't do anything. After that he throws 5 head kicks most if not all are blocked, he did land a very clean elbow. This is on a rewatch, not so sure Jones won that round.

I think being gased and putting his hands on his hips cost him the round.

Edit: Head Kick at 2:20 definitely hit for Jones. And just because Jones was landing it wasn't like Gus had no points of his own.

Just because Jones didn't dominate like he was supposed to doesn't mean he didn't win. I think it's very tough to score the first three rounds all for Gustafsson unless you just don't like Jones. I thought he took rounds 2, 4, and 5 and considered 1 and 3 to be toss-ups.
:goodposting: My wife and I were talking about this during the fight. We are so used to Jones dominating, that when he doesn't, we think he is losing.

But holy crap. What a great freaking fight. We need more of those.

For an unbiased look at the stats instead of the emotional "Jones didn't dominate so he lost" reactions, Fight Metric had it 355 to 303 Jones.

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2013/09/jones-vs-gustafsson-official-ufc.html

Round 1 clearly for Gustav.
Round 4-5 clearly for Jones.

Rounds 2-3 basically a tie

49-48 Jones using a 10-point must system.

355-305 Jones using their fight performance metric.

134-110 significant strikes advantage for Jones.

If you look at the striking chart, almost 50% of the strikes Gustav landed were jabs to the head, so they are more visible strikes to observers and easier to score IMO.

If you look at the striking chart, almost 50% of the strikes Gustav landed were jabs to the head, so they are more visible strikes to observers and easier to score IMO.
Plus, Gustafsson grazed Jones in the first and cut his eyelid. That eye obviously looked worse as the fight went on.

SacramentoBob said:
Wow, Dana said that Jones pleaded with the doctor not to stop the fight before the 5th round.
Because of his face? Anyone have one of those day after photos of these two?

Dana mentioned that there might be an upcoming opportunity for Schaub to step in and fight since last night was a short fight. Looking at the list of upcoming fights, only UFC 166 has booked HW fights. Since it's unlikely he steps in for JDS, Cain, Cormier or Nelson, it's looking like there might be a problem with the Gonzaga - Jordan fight on October 19. That's the only one that makes sense for his skill level. :shrug:

Are these fights replayed any where for free?
:goodposting:

MMAlinker used to be good, and MMAbloodsport hasn't updated the video blog in months. I guess Zuffa's really cracking down.
i think they are really trying to push the UFC channel on youtube. It might be something like $5 a month, and i think they are supposed to give access to all the fights like a day or 2 after it.

daaaaamn... I went back and watched rnd 2 before the decision was announced and had Jones winning it pretty convincingly. As many have said, so used to see him dominating that when he's eeking ahead it feels like he's losing.

Love that pic of him and Gus in the hospital. Was thinking they should get a drink together when they were talking in the ring post fight... definitely nothing but respect. Beautiful thing. They will definitely meet again.

Very good card all around.

I am loving the new 'parity' that I'm seeing throughout the different classes as a whole. A shame that the overall MMA/UFC hype seems to be down at a time like this though.

Very good card all around.

I am loving the new 'parity' that I'm seeing throughout the different classes as a whole. A shame that the overall MMA/UFC hype seems to be down at a time like this though.
I don't know if MMA/UFC hype is down at this point. There is more to get distracted by, and as opposed to when we used to get 1 card a month (man, it is crazy how that was maybe a year ago or something, and how much it has changed), there is just so much going on it can be hard to keep up with all of it. But as long as they still have fights like this past weekend, the UFC hype will never go that far down.

I can see the argument a bit though if i do think about it. It may be that the amount of cards makes it so that we can't examine cards for as long. Thinking about how huge Pettis' win over Henderson was, we probably should have had 2-3 weeks of hype before the fight, and then 2-3 weeks of analysis after it since it was a title change. But it seems like as soon as a card is over the next one is right around the corner and we don't enjoy or savor the victory as much as maybe we used to.

Also not sure of how much of a big deal that is, and what long term implications may be. Look at the NFL, you get exciting games all the time in the NFL, but they are often short lived. Like 49'ers-Patriots last year, or i'm sure there are quite a few already from this year. Not sure of the long-term impact of what that does, but i imagine it is comparable.

I also think this many shows will not be a long-term thing. A lot of it was because of the push for Fox Sports 1, and still is. we definitely have more shows, but not sure it will be like we have seen where we have 3 shows in 11 days. I know one of Dana's goals was to have a weekly show like boxing used to have Tuesday night fights, and i'm not sure how that will ever look. Would it be a simple weekly show that Dana isn't involved with and not all the pre-fight hyper and post-conference stuff? or will that be too much of a change from the current model

it will be a sad day when the Diaz brothers are out of MMA. latest tweet from Nate Diaz who was scheduled to fight Grey Maynard in November:

" @ufc Cant make it november 30th ive gotta high school reuinion i have to tend too..."

great stuff

No more dirty than a foot stomp.
I have no problem with the knee kick, but I can't see how having one's foot stomped on is the same as having one's knee hyper-extended.
Yeah... possibly breaking a bone in a guys foot is nowhere near the same as potentially ending a guys career with a blown out knee.
I'm not talking about the worst-case result of the strike.

What angle should the kick strike the knee where it wouldn't be considered dirty? I haven't heard a single fighter, male or female, complain about that type of kick.

Just fnished all the prelims and the main card.

Poor card overall, so many dog fights in the FS1 prelims.

Both title fights were fun and the LHW in particular was fantastic. I have a lot of respect for both fighters, classic war.

it will be a sad day when the Diaz brothers are out of MMA. latest tweet from Nate Diaz who was scheduled to fight Grey Maynard in November:

" @ufc Cant make it november 30th ive gotta high school reuinion i have to tend too..."

great stuff
LOL Nate Diaz didn't go to high school
I think in the 209, they have reunions based on when you started high school. That way more than a dozen people will show up.

No more dirty than a foot stomp.
I have no problem with the knee kick, but I can't see how having one's foot stomped on is the same as having one's knee hyper-extended.
Yeah... possibly breaking a bone in a guys foot is nowhere near the same as potentially ending a guys career with a blown out knee.
I'm not talking about the worst-case result of the strike.

What angle should the kick strike the knee where it wouldn't be considered dirty? I haven't heard a single fighter, male or female, complain about that type of kick.
Rampage doesn't like it. Not that Rampage complaining is notable, but still.

Poor card overall, so many dog fights in the FS1 prelims.
Seriously? Jury and Ricci was a snoozer, but the other fights were good. Gagnon was excellent against Kimura. Oh well.
There were three, barely 1 star fights on the card IMO. I can never remember that many truly awful fights. It did not help that they came so close together on the card which is likely making them seem worse to me than they were.

Jury v Ricci

Menjivar v Reus

Philippou v Carmont

Rhonda is like a 5 year old girl trapped inside a womans mans body. I'm sure some of it's the editing to create the ole "good girl" "bad girl" angle for the rematch, but she really is an immature b****

Hated to see Roxie lose, first because she has that infectious personality and secondly, a third consecutive loss and Rhonda would have stroked out

I used to dig Rhonda when we didn't know much about her other than she breaks arms and looks good airbrushed, now, not so much.

Users who are viewing this thread