What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (2 Viewers)

And really if you look at the history of the UFC heavyweight championship, proclaiming Cain best ever in the division really isn't absurd. He wins his next fight, he becomes the only one in history to defend the belt 3 straight times. For all intensive purposes, you're arguing Cain vs. Randy in the 16 year history of the championship.
For being the heavyweight division, its been historically thin. I thought is was turning into the golden age when Lesnar arrived, Carwin emerged, you had Cain and JDS just showing up and Overreem coming over. A few years later, its just Cain and JDS who really is no longer a viable option.

30-27 Gilbert? Seriously?
He clearly won rds 1&2. rd 3 Diego had the one good punch but he was getting peppered the entire round. My initial reaction was 30-27 then I started to think rd 3 was a coin flip.
yeah, that was how I felt too. Diego did hurt Gil for a bit in the third but only briefly, and the rest of that round looked like 1 & 2 with Melendez in control. Would have been fine with either 30-27 or 29-28 Melendez.

I'm not sure that fight tops the Bendo-Pettis WEC championship (my personal all time #1) but its right there with it. I gained a lot of respect for Diego last night, that goofy dude is an absolute animal. Melendez is a beast too - not sure what's next for him, though. I think Grant should get the next title shot after Thomson, so maybe Gil could rematch with Bendo for the shot after that.

TJ Grant got injured for his title fight, and then turned down a Dec fight against Pettis. I'm fine with him getting bumped given the insane logjam of the top5-7 155#ers. In fact, hell....since Pettis/thompson are Fighting in 7 weeks, throw Melendez vs Grant on a card in Jan/Feb, and the winner gets an ironclad triple-lock no takebacks guaranteed title shot.

Oh yeah I forgot TJ was injured - something about concussions, right? Yeah, a Melendez-Grant matchup would be solid too, but I just don't like seeing Grant get bumped back again when he's had to wait for the shot so long. I'm a Grant fan, though, so I admit that plays a part in my thinking there.

looking at Sherdog's wrapup article, they actually suggest a Melendez-Nurmagomedov fight as the next step for Gil. That'd be awesome, but I hate to see either of those guys lose.

And really if you look at the history of the UFC heavyweight championship, proclaiming Cain best ever in the division really isn't absurd. He wins his next fight, he becomes the only one in history to defend the belt 3 straight times. For all intensive purposes, you're arguing Cain vs. Randy in the 16 year history of the championship.
For being the heavyweight division, its been historically thin. I thought is was turning into the golden age when Lesnar arrived, Carwin emerged, you had Cain and JDS just showing up and Overreem coming over. A few years later, its just Cain and JDS who really is no longer a viable option.
Cain has the gas tank this division hasn't seen before. Saying a lot with Randy, but Cain definitely already belongs in the conversation as greatest HWY ever.

JMO It's 'thin' because Cain is destroying everyone in his path like no one in the division has before. He's that much better than the current contenders. I give him the credit he deserves for this, rather than calling the division thin. :shrug: Heavyweight division will never be deep in comparison to the lower divisions.

Everyone and their mother knows JDS is the clear #2 in the world. And Cain has pushed him around like a child for 10 straight rounds.

I don't think the likes of Arlovski/Sylvia were any better than the guys below Cain right now. (And I'd unquestionably place JDS ahead of those 2).

The UFC's 2014 schedule doesn't have official dates and locations as of yet, but the UFC knows how many cards they'll be running during the year. The slate of UFC cards was announced during Wednesday's Fox Sports Live program on Fox Sports 1, breaking down where their 2014 events will be broadcast.

In addition to confirming the first UFC on Fox card of the year for Chicago, as well as the first two pay-per-view events for February, it was revealed that the UFC will run a combined 35 events next year.

That breaks down to 13 events on pay-per-view, four network televised events on Fox, 14 live events on Fox Sports 1 throughout the year - a number that includes the finale events for two seasons of The Ultimate Fighter which will air on Fox Sports 1 during the year - and four more events on Fox Sports 2.

The slate of 35 events represents two more fight cards than the 2013 schedule, as the UFC will have run 33 events this year when UFC 168 concludes. For past reference, they ran 32 cards in 2012, 27 events in 2011, and 24 in 2010.

LOL was just getting ready to post the news for the 3 people that care.

Probably for the best. Let them get exposed up one of Bellator's up and comers.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, lets get the tally. Who thinks:

1.) Tito injured his neck in training

2.) Tito figured out that this was PPV going to be the biggest flop of all time and faked an injury on his own.

3.) Rebney figured out that this was PPV going to be the biggest flop of all time and encouraged tito to do something similar to #2

In any case, Getting Chandler/Alvarez for free is good.

So, lets get the tally. Who thinks:

1.) Tito injured his neck in training

2.) Tito figured out that this was PPV going to be the biggest flop of all time and faked an injury on his own.

3.) Rebney figured out that this was PPV going to be the biggest flop of all time and encouraged tito to do something similar to #2

In any case, Getting Chandler/Alvarez for free is good.
2 with Rebney being 100% okay with.

2 and/or 3

Said it previously, Rampage/Tito makes zero cents/sense for the company. If you're gonna use them for their name, put one of your up and comers against them.

As for TUF...did we really need a "recap" episode? Glad I was totally waxed and needed sleep this week.

Card has started FYI.
Jesus H., does Minuwa practice black magic or something??? Hasn't every one of his opponents had a crazy injury in their fight? Jimmo dropped like he was shot by an invisible bullet, i remember Cyril Diabate tore his calf or something, and didn't his first fight end weird. I see it occuring twice being a weird coincidence, but 3 times just being some serious black magic or something

They really need to change that rule.
i like the post fight interview. they bleeped the first minute. Funny stuff.

and yeah the rule needs adjustment, but i don't think Pearson was trying to pull any funny stuff. we've seen a lot worse
I don't think Pearson was doing anything wrong, but I think "down" should be defined the way it is in the NFL. If you don't want to get kneed in the face, you should have to sacrifice positioning to do it. And it wasn't like the knees were blatant or anything. He was going for the knee at the same time Pearson was trying to put his hand on the ground.

They really need to change that rule.
i like the post fight interview. they bleeped the first minute. Funny stuff.

and yeah the rule needs adjustment, but i don't think Pearson was trying to pull any funny stuff. we've seen a lot worse
I don't think Pearson was doing anything wrong, but I think "down" should be defined the way it is in the NFL. If you don't want to get kneed in the face, you should have to sacrifice positioning to do it. And it wasn't like the knees were blatant or anything. He was going for the knee at the same time Pearson was trying to put his hand on the ground.
yeah, i don't disagree. it was setting up to be a good fight.

and Machida looks good at 185. Will be fun to see him down here if the weight is good for him

World Series of Fighting ongoing right now.

Joe Lauzon's right leg just got destroyed before he got knocked out. Knee was swelled up already to the size of a basketball. He showed heart even continuing. Dude could barely walk.

Didn't realize Joe Lauzon got cut from UFC. That's a curious move. He's not a contender but he always comes to scrap, just the kind of guy White rewards.

kinda torqued off that i started watching at 4pm and fox sports 2 decides to scroll the results on the bottom of the screen....

Still real pissed about Myahem costing me a real good night, and now it sounds like he pulled some crap backstage and the UFC says there is no way he is coming back: http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/5/27/3046149/ufc-146-backstage-drama-ends-jason-mayhem-miller-ufc-dana-white

they say on the ug that Miller's conermen were trying to fight CB's or something. What they need to do is get Diaz back in here, and let's have this Diaz-Mayhem fight once and for all.

anybody know anything? i found out because i wanted to hear an interview to see if his knee was messed up, and what the heck happened for him to lose to Dalloway, but no interview i guess. I'm too lazy to check the underground forum to confirm
no thanks
:goodposting: Had no clue who this Mayhem guy was during Ultimate Fighter. He #### the bed against Bisping in an embarrassing main event performance.

Glad he's gone.
I agree. The guy's a joke. I can't stand the screwing around in the ring. It takes away from the seriousness of the fight and makes it look like a joke.I hate the Diaz brothers, but at least they back up their antics with good fighting.
it's gotten much worse for Mayhem. A few arrests here and there, but his latest over the weekend has to be close to his last:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/10/28/5039200/video-of-uriah-hall-punching-mayhem-miller-racial-slur

Basically talked crazy #### to Uriah Hall and began throwing around the racist talk, and Uriah hit him. Hope this wakes Uriah up to start hating people in the octagon and throwing down. His fight with Leben will be a good one, because Leben won't let him hug him in the fight.

Anyone tried something like this? Daily fantasy type site for MMA. I pasted the scoring below. Uses FightMetric for the stats.

http://www.kountermove.com/

Kountermove determines a fighter’s fantasy score as follows. A first-round win (by knockout, submission, DQ, or other) earns 100 points, second-round win earns 75 points, and third, fourth, or fifth-round wins, again by knockout, submission, DQ, or other, earn 50 points. Rounds won (win-by-decision fights only, two out of three judges required) earn 10 points each*.

In addition, fighters earn fantasy points for Significant Strikes Landed (.5 points each), Takedowns/Reversals (2 points each), Submission Attempts (3 points each), Knockdowns (3 points each), and Dominant Positions (2 points each). Like other fantasy sites, Kountermove awards zero points to players who draft a fighter who scratches or an entire fight that scratches because of injury, illness, or any other reason. Decisions and points are final in the cage - scoring is based only on the final call, during the event, in the cage.

Please Note: if a fighter is injured before the scheduled fight and a new opponent is chosen, Kountermove will replace the injured fighter with the new fighter as soon as Kountermove is aware of the fight change. If a fighter is injured and replaced and Kountermove is made aware of the change within 24 hours of the scheduled fight time, Kountermove may not replace the injured fighter.

So I liked this season of TUF, and i hope somehow they convince Rhonda to do it again. She certainly is great for the show, i love how pissy she always gets and how she pouts about Miesha all the time

Anyone tried something like this? Daily fantasy type site for MMA. I pasted the scoring below. Uses FightMetric for the stats.

http://www.kountermove.com/

Kountermove determines a fighter’s fantasy score as follows. A first-round win (by knockout, submission, DQ, or other) earns 100 points, second-round win earns 75 points, and third, fourth, or fifth-round wins, again by knockout, submission, DQ, or other, earn 50 points. Rounds won (win-by-decision fights only, two out of three judges required) earn 10 points each*.

In addition, fighters earn fantasy points for Significant Strikes Landed (.5 points each), Takedowns/Reversals (2 points each), Submission Attempts (3 points each), Knockdowns (3 points each), and Dominant Positions (2 points each). Like other fantasy sites, Kountermove awards zero points to players who draft a fighter who scratches or an entire fight that scratches because of injury, illness, or any other reason. Decisions and points are final in the cage - scoring is based only on the final call, during the event, in the cage.

Please Note: if a fighter is injured before the scheduled fight and a new opponent is chosen, Kountermove will replace the injured fighter with the new fighter as soon as Kountermove is aware of the fight change. If a fighter is injured and replaced and Kountermove is made aware of the change within 24 hours of the scheduled fight time, Kountermove may not replace the injured fighter.
I tried it a few times... not a fan. I don't think the salaries and lineups and points translates well to MMA.

2 and/or 3

Said it previously, Rampage/Tito makes zero cents/sense for the company. If you're gonna use them for their name, put one of your up and comers against them.
How does this make sense? Up-and-comers there get no legitimacy by beating has-beens like this. So a younger, harder kid can KTFO a fat Rampage. So what?

This isn't professional wrestling where guys get a 'bump' in popularity by "beating" an established star.

2 and/or 3

How does this make sense? Up-and-comers there get no legitimacy by beating has-beens like this. So a younger, harder kid can KTFO a fat Rampage. So what?

This isn't professional wrestling where guys get a 'bump' in popularity by "beating" an established star.
Well, they kind of do. Look at Emanuel Newton, who nobody knew a thing about and now he is something of a name for beating King Mo. But beating Rampage isn't much of a bump though.

Count me in as 100% :tinfoilhat: on this Bellator show. I think the whole past week was a response to the abysmal ticket sales and preliminary numbers saying no one would buy this show. I have heard various people talk about it, but the truth is if Bellator wanted to run a PPV, it would have perfect sense to have King Mo bump up to the main event against Rampage, and then have Newton against Atillah Hun (the actual fight which should be occurring for that belt anyway).

It was certainly the right move by Bellator though, everybody is talking about how the card is saved now and the fight between Alvarez-Chandler. If Tito-Rampage didn't get bumped, everybody would be talking about how bad that fight is, how ticket sales and PPV sales are going to be horrible, etc.

Heads up on the Bellator fight tonight -- my DVR is set to auto record all bellators but this has a weird listing (just listed as "Chandler v Alzarez 2" ('Bellator' not in the title) and wasn't going to autorecord.

Spike TV. 9pm. You're welcome.

2 and/or 3

Up-and-comers there get no legitimacy by beating has-beens like this.
I'm fairly positive that's exactly how no-names get legitimacy.
Could be to the majority of folks. :shrug:

Just not in my eyes. Beating other "up-and-comers" legitimizes them to me.

Many top contenders & future champions have went through similar has beens to get future title shots.
Sure, I mean, even Jon Jones needed to "go through" Rampage at one point. But did that 'legitimize' Jones though?

I don't really think Jones needed the Rampage fight, aside from the gate/ppv $$ percentage that he might have gotten.

2 and/or 3

I'm fairly positive that's exactly how no-names get legitimacy.
Could be to the majority of folks. :shrug:

Just not in my eyes. Beating other "up-and-comers" legitimizes them to me.
Beating veteran fighters helps legitimize a fighter. A win over Rampage/Tito is far better for your career than beating some random guy who may have wins over a few guys in small shows. Right or wrong, name recognition is a big thing in MMA.

Bobcat10 said:
Anyone wagering tonight? Undercard? Overcard?
yeah, not happy about it though. only 2 plays:

Chandler -275 1.5 units

Curran -400 .66 unit

lot of juice, but these are a level above the rest of the roster. i'm one of the biggest Eddie fans out there, but Chandler has been on a tear while Eddie has been through hell the last year

Bobcat10 said:

Chandler -275 1.5 units

Curran -400 .66 unit

lot of juice, but these are a level above the rest of the roster. i'm one of the biggest Eddie fans out there, but Chandler has been on a tear while Eddie has been through hell the last year
Gonna try Richman and Riggs as well.

Bobcat10 said:

Chandler -275 1.5 units

Curran -400 .66 unit

good call with Richman, and i think Riggs takes that as well. dude needs a contract.

Bobcat10 said:

Chandler -275 1.5 units

Curran -400 .66 unit

good call with Richman, and i think Riggs takes that as well. dude needs a contract.
Dang he almost put Richman out too..

Users who are viewing this thread