What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (5 Viewers)

Surprised no one else thinks Davis got hosed. Though he took the first two. 2nd was a definite and I thought he controlled the 1st as well.
After that performance (by both guys), I'm not gonna be in an uproar over any decision.I didn't see a 'winner' in that fight personally. Neither guy is sniffing Jon Jones soon. I don't think either guy was even a participant in the post-fight press conference. Nor did they deserve to be.
Yeah, it definitely wasnt good and neither guy will ever be more than a gatekeeper. I was just surprised at the outcome as I thought it was pretty clear.

Surprised no one else thinks Davis got hosed. Though he took the first two. 2nd was a definite and I thought he controlled the 1st as well.
After that performance (by both guys), I'm not gonna be in an uproar over any decision.I didn't see a 'winner' in that fight personally. Neither guy is sniffing Jon Jones soon. I don't think either guy was even a participant in the post-fight press conference. Nor did they deserve to be.
Yeah, it definitely wasnt good and neither guy will ever be more than a gatekeeper. I was just surprised at the outcome as I thought it was pretty clear.
i thought Machida clearly beat Davis when they fought so who knows. Maybe Davis has the same thing Bendo has

After that performance (by both guys), I'm not gonna be in an uproar over any decision.

I didn't see a 'winner' in that fight personally. Neither guy is sniffing Jon Jones soon. I don't think either guy was even a participant in the post-fight press conference. Nor did they deserve to be.
I thought Davis probably won, but the fight was so close and boring that Bruce Buffer should've just announced they got cut after the match.

Is GSP still under contract? Bellator should just show up at his house with a dump truck full of money along with an agreement for more rigorous PED testing.

Craig_MiamiFL said:
After that performance (by both guys), I'm not gonna be in an uproar over any decision.

I didn't see a 'winner' in that fight personally. Neither guy is sniffing Jon Jones soon. I don't think either guy was even a participant in the post-fight press conference. Nor did they deserve to be.
Kind of the Ben Henderson syndrome for me. Not a terribly exciting fighter, has been on the favorable side of other close decisions. Plus I had a little bit on Bader.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at the fighters after the match you would think that Bader dominated, but I'm guessing Davis wins a split decision.
I think that was right. I had Bader close in the first, Davis for sure second, and Bader close in third. Thought with the only sure round going to Davis that he'd get the split. Not a great showing by either.
To Cliff, this was what I posted live. Because Davis had the only sure round, I thought Davis would get the split, but wasn't shocked when Bader got it. I wouldn't call it a hosing because both guys were unimpressive.

Looking at the fighters after the match you would think that Bader dominated, but I'm guessing Davis wins a split decision.
I think that was right. I had Bader close in the first, Davis for sure second, and Bader close in third. Thought with the only sure round going to Davis that he'd get the split. Not a great showing by either.
To Cliff, this was what I posted live. Because Davis had the only sure round, I thought Davis would get the split, but wasn't shocked when Bader got it. I wouldn't call it a hosing because both guys were unimpressive.
Good article on it that I agree with. I saw Davis landing more and thought he'd get a 29-28UD. Yes, they did both fight terribly and this would have been a pretty good case for a draw since neither fighter was ever in danger or dominant.

According to the official UFC statistics, Round 2 saw Bader land just 6 'significant' strikes compared to Davis' 7. No takedown was credited to either fighter but Davis able to land12 more strikes that Fight Metric didn't count as 'significant' -- or strikes thrown from range. Neither man really landed anything flush, while Davis wasn't able to do anything from the few seconds of top control he had. They scored the round 10-9 for Davis.Round 3 had both men picking up the pace slightly. Davis out-landed Bader 19 to 15 in 'significant' strikes, and had an advantage of just 1 strike that wasn't thrown from range. Bader had one takedown where he wasn't able to pass, attempt a submission, land strikes, or spend much time on top. Judges still scored it 10-9 Bader.

The most telling round though, was the first. After 5 minutes of action, the stats had Bader landing with a grand total of just 5 strikes, to Davis' 9. We're not even talking 'significant' strikes here, that's really their total output for the round.

Looking at the Fight Metric stats... Davis outstuck Bader 35-26 but Bader outstruck him to the head 19-11 whereas Davis outstruck Bader 24-9 to the body/leg. Judges probably just overrate head strikes vs other strikes. I think judges underrate counter strikes as well, but they don't keep stats on that.

Looking at the Fight Metric stats... Davis outstuck Bader 35-26 but Bader outstruck him to the head 19-11 whereas Davis outstruck Bader 24-9 to the body/leg. Judges probably just overrate head strikes vs other strikes. I think judges underrate counter strikes as well, but they don't keep stats on that.
:goodposting: definitely is a factor in some of the states where MMA does not occur as much, like Massachusetts. You heard the talk about the doctor, but i think it also goes for the general commission overall and sometimes the judges (not sure who judged this fight and could all be junk if they are regular/veteran judges). but i believe we have seen in multiple times before, like when the UFC first started fighting in other countries, and some states like Texas, etc. I know good old veteran judge Cecil Peoples once led the charge about how leg kicks are weak and he doesn't really put much any value behind them

modogg said:
:goodposting: definitely is a factor in some of the states where MMA does not occur as much, like Massachusetts. You heard the talk about the doctor, but i think it also goes for the general commission overall and sometimes the judges (not sure who judged this fight and could all be junk if they are regular/veteran judges). but i believe we have seen in multiple times before, like when the UFC first started fighting in other countries, and some states like Texas, etc. I know good old veteran judge Cecil Peoples once led the charge about how leg kicks are weak and he doesn't really put much any value behind them
All judges should have to take one leg kick from Jose Aldo.

Won't happen but I'd love Nick to pummel him. :shrug:
I grabbed Nick +300 a month ago or so. I can see the fight going a few ways. One thing i think in Nick's favor is Silva has been KO'd recently, and it has been awhile since we have seen Nick's lights go out. Not that Nick has that KO power, but it will be interesting.

Fight game has passed the Diaz Bros by IMO.

They havent evolved enough and the fire seems gone in both. I except Diaz to play patty cake for as long as Silva doesnt take him out & collect his paycheck.

I think even their name worth is declining -- in what should be the prime of their careers. I don't think the rope is long for Nate after his last performance.

anyone else interested in the silva fight this weekend?
Absolutely. Been looking forward to this one since it was announced. I don't expect it to be close. Hell, they could end up taunting each other for 5 rounds and not throwing a punch but it'll still be entertaining.
This is what I am preparing myself for. I've been miming it with a friend of mine. Diaz mean mugging with his fists straight out throwing birds and waving Silva forward while cursing while Silva dances around fainting knees, punches, elbows, and kicks. Could be a a hilariously bad 25 minutes (it is 5 rounds, right?).

steelerfan1 said:
Crazy journey for Rumble. Who can beat him at this point? Not certain Jones can...
I don't think I've witnessed anyone get poked in the eye more than rumble. I could picture an accidental eye poke from john in the fight....
Good point. Jones is probably good for one at least.

If Silva is anywhere near what he was, Diaz is going to take a savage beating; stylistically, Nick is tailor-made to be a showcase "he's back" fight for Anderson. The way to fight Silva is either to make him lead on the feet, or smother him with takedowns and top control. Aggressively chasing him around and letting him counter is a great way to get KTFO -- and Nick Diaz doesn't have it in him to radically change his style and gameplan IMO. Nick is going to eat leg kicks and counters all night before Silva grabs him, muscles him, and finishes him in the clinch whenever he's tired off tooling Nick from range. Diaz is a smallish welter that can / has fought at 160, Silva is a big middleweight who could easily hang at light heavy. I'm a big fan of the way the Diaz brothers bring it in fights, but Nick has zero business being in a cage with Anderson Silva IMO.

If Silva is anywhere near what he was, Diaz is going to take a savage beating; stylistically, Nick is tailor-made to be a showcase "he's back" fight for Anderson. The way to fight Silva is either to make him lead on the feet, or smother him with takedowns and top control. Aggressively chasing him around and letting him counter is a great way to get KTFO -- and Nick Diaz doesn't have it in him to radically change his style and gameplan IMO. Nick is going to eat leg kicks and counters all night before Silva grabs him, muscles him, and finishes him in the clinch whenever he's tired off tooling Nick from range. Diaz is a smallish welter that can / has fought at 160, Silva is a big middleweight who could easily hang at light heavy. I'm a big fan of the way the Diaz brothers bring it in fights, but Nick has zero business being in a cage with Anderson Silva IMO.
:goodposting:

The only way this isn't a massacre is if Silva toys with him the entire fight and never goes for the kill.

Pretty amazing that two guys who haven't fought in over a year, are 0-4 combined in their last two fights are headlining a PPV that will get 750K buys at a minimum,

Diaz doesn't seem to have any misconceptions about what he's getting into.

http://ufc.com/news/ufc-183-nick-diaz-knows-you-cant-turn-away

“I’d rather not be portrayed as an evil villain,” Diaz said. “But if people want to make me out to be that, and it sells tickets, that’s fine. But I do hope people understand that this is just what sells, and not what’s really me. I’m just a mixed-martial artist from Stockton, California. And I’m still here.”

>>So, Nick, what have you been up to last two years?

“What, are you a cop?” said Diaz, instantly flashing his intimidating scowl that can make blood run cold.

Then it melts away into just enough of a sly grin that to let you know he’s just yanking your chain. Diaz did have a much-publicized brush with the local law when he was arrested for misdemeanor DUI in September. That’s one topic Diaz won’t discuss because it remains a pending legal matter.
What Diaz said he has been doing is taking a breather to clear his head. He helped other fighters train and indulged his passion for triathlons. (He does about six a year, focusing on the especially grueling off-road triathlons.) He traveled a bit and did some acting auditions. He even went shopping -- saying the word like it was some exotic activity.
“I just did the kind of regular stuff that normal people do,” Diaz said. “But it was the kind of stuff that I could never do. I was in the gym, every day, for something like 15 straight years. I always had a fight coming in three or four months.”
While Diaz can be famously uncomfortable in press conference settings, in a one-on-one interview he is soft-spoken, humble and thoughtful. In fact, he comes across as nothing like the trash-talking, expletive-spewing, opponent-taunting demon that gets unleashed in the cage . . . and sometimes outside of it.

This guy, friends say, is the real Nick Diaz.

“People just see the way he is at fights,” said Damian Gonzalez, a Stockton native and professional triathlete who met Diaz through competing at the same events. “That’s not Nick. If they had the time to really get to know him, they would see that he’s not the person that’s on TV. They would realize that they’re totally wrong about him. He’s really a very nice guy.”
But to his credit, Diaz doesn’t play the “misunderstood” card that athletes so often use when trying to explain away past misdeeds. He knows full well how he has acted during his rise up the MMA ladder. But he’s not exactly making any apologies, either.
Maybe the best explanation is that he simply is a product of his environment.
“Stockton is where I’m from, and there’s no shame in it,” he said quietly. He paused. “But there’s not a lot of people pulling for Stockton except for people who are from here.”

He made no predictions. Instead, he broke down their fight styles, in a clinical fashion, and concluded that this fight could go either way.
“We’re built a lot alike, but he has the size and reach,” Diaz explained. “He has more of an advantage with kickboxing. I have more of an advantage with boxing. We’re both black belts in Jiu-Jitsu. So I’m not in the dark about what I’m getting myself into and what’s at stake. I know I can have a really good night, and that I might have a really bad night.”
edit to unhipple the format.

Outside of respecting his place in history, does anybody actually like or get excited for Matt Hughes? I don't understand why he's on the payroll.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/29/7947241/ufc-183-ppv-price-hike-official-2015-rising-costs-going-up-mma-news

As far as Hughes, he's a legend in the business and smart well spoken guy. And you know he'll always represent the UFC well. He's perfect for the role he's in.
i'll disagree with this, unless we are comparing him to Chuck or most of the guy's who have English as a second language. I can think of 5-6 other fighters off the top of my head who have retired in the last few years who seem to be a better ambassador. Hughes is way too much of a d-bag to i think really be able to represent the sport as a whole. And i believe his role is something akin to overseeing fighter's behavior or whatever?

Either way, the original point is that I think the UFC benefits if they can find a role to keep Diaz around. I have no idea what kind of job you could give that guy, but I think they should try to find something

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/1/29/7947241/ufc-183-ppv-price-hike-official-2015-rising-costs-going-up-mma-news

As far as Hughes, he's a legend in the business and smart well spoken guy. And you know he'll always represent the UFC well. He's perfect for the role he's in.
Either way, the original point is that I think the UFC benefits if they can find a role to keep Diaz around. I have no idea what kind of job you could give that guy, but I think they should try to find something
What benefit exactly? To see how long he can keep his name out of the news? I'm sure not showing up for work will go over real well :lmao:

Like it or not, Hughes has a job for life with the UFC. :shrug:

Craig_MiamiFL said:
modogg said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:

What benefit exactly? To see how long he can keep his name out of the news? I'm sure not showing up for work will go over real well :lmao:

agreed about the showing up part, but there is no doubt fans want to see him, much more then Hughes. Make him an ambassador like they have Forrest Griffin do, or i'm sure some other guys. Without a doubt it would be a headache for Dana, but that is why they make the big bucks. I just think they have a "needle mover" in the Diaz brothers, and they should be smart enough to figure out some way to make it work

Craig_MiamiFL said:
modogg said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:

agreed about the showing up part, but there is no doubt fans want to see him, much more then Hughes. Make him an ambassador like they have Forrest Griffin do, or i'm sure some other guys. Without a doubt it would be a headache for Dana, but that is why they make the big bucks. I just think they have a "needle mover" in the Diaz brothers, and they should be smart enough to figure out some way to make it work
Diaz won't even show up for his pre-fight obligations. What makes you think the UFC would want to rely on him to make appearances as their representative?

I will be blasting Silva at anything under -500. Diaz is here for the paycheck and has a tailor made skill set for Silva to destroy him in his first fight back.

Also liking Woodley and Lauzon at plus numbers even though Iaquinta is a local guy who I'll be cheering for.

I like McCall as well, and I think Boetsch represents great value against Leites who I have never been impressed with. I guess I'll never get his title fight against Silva, or his fight against Marquardt out of my mind, but I don't believe he's good enough to be that big of a favorite against a durable guy that has that grind-you-down style that can boringly win rounds.

I haven't watched a UFC Countdown in a long time, but if this one with Diaz-Silva is how they are these days i think i may pass. Maybe it is just they don't know how to sell Diaz, but it is just drama galore

I will be blasting Silva at anything under -500. Diaz is here for the paycheck and has a tailor made skill set for Silva to destroy him in his first fight back.

Also liking Woodley and Lauzon at plus numbers even though Iaquinta is a local guy who I'll be cheering for.

I like McCall as well, and I think Boetsch represents great value against Leites who I have never been impressed with. I guess I'll never get his title fight against Silva, or his fight against Marquardt out of my mind, but I don't believe he's good enough to be that big of a favorite against a durable guy that has that grind-you-down style that can boringly win rounds.
I joined you on Woodley, even before the weigh-ins. But i wouldn't go too heavy on Silva. I am on Diaz for this one. I think people are right in breaking down the fight, but i am sure Diaz will have the better cardio for a 5-round fight. So if Silva doesn't get a KO in rounds 1 or 2 i think advantage may be with Diaz and how active he is. Silva is also a pretty good match-up for Diaz, in that he won't hold him on the ground, or parry away like Condit did. I also worry Anderson's chin is going. Chael had a knockdown on him, and ever since then it has looked progressively worse

they should also scrap the HWY and MW belts, and make Weidman vs. Valasquez when both of the little babies can finally step into the cage.

Users who are viewing this thread