What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (3 Viewers)

Khabib did Danis a huge favor.  Nobody knew who that guy was, but now he will probably get a huge UFC contract when he is finished dominating in the B leagues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Khabib did Danis a huge favor.  Nobody knew who that guy was, but now he will probably get a huge UFC contract when he is finished dominating in the B leagues.
Currently in "the B league" in his weight class are: Douglas Lima, Andrey Koreshkov,  Gerald Harris, Jon Fitch, Rory MacDonald, Erick Silva, Lorenz Larkin, and Paul Daley. 

Danis loses every single one of those fights.  He's not going to dominate anything. 

They're handing out meaningless titles like candy. I think those things go for $600 or something on ufcshop.com.
Schedule a fight at HW for DC then two cards later strip him of the LHW so Jones can fight for a title. Garbage. It feels like Dana White is just trying to maximize immediate returns at the expense of the long strength of the sport/league. I wouldn’t be surprised if he cashes out just before the wheels fall off. Feels like that’s what he’s setting up.

just a casual UFC fan ... I think Khabib is going to make hamburger out of McGregor on the ground ...

and I think McGregor is aware of this. Wasn't as much trash talk by McGregor for this one. He knows he'll have his hands full.
Haven't seen the fight yet ... just reports.

Safe to say this is how it went down?

NewlyRetired said:
wow what a mess.  Khabib looks like he is ready to go down with the ship if his "brother" is fired from the company...

====================================

https://i.imgur.com/XBVNPpP.jpg
A lot of reading into his mindset there.  You can see how he equates talking about his religion, family, and country as nearly as bad as the bus incident.  Obviously from a very different culture.  

The problem that Khabib has is that yes.... Connor deserved a suspension for the bus incident.  Only, it didn't happen in front of 5 million people.  It didn't put innocent bystanders at risk.  It didn't happen in front of the governor of Nevada and every major athletic commission suit.  

It's sad that he's probably gonna nuke his own career over this grudge, but it is what it is.  He could've been the sport's biggest star if not for losing his head for 3 minutes following the fight.

It's sad that he's probably gonna nuke his own career over this grudge, but it is what it is. 
How does this work from a legal aspect?  If he is under contract and the UFC will not release him from said contract, I assume he can't fight in other organizations until his UFC contract is fulfilled or torn up?

It didn't put innocent bystanders at risk.
There were other fighters on the bus.

It's sad that he's probably gonna nuke his own career over this grudge, but it is what it is. 
How does this work from a legal aspect?  If he is under contract and the UFC will not release him from said contract, I assume he can't fight in other organizations until his UFC contract is fulfilled or torn up?
I'd say there's about a 0.000001% chance Nurmagomedov fights somewhere other than the UFC. I'd also say Dana White saying so-and-so "will never fight in the UFC" isn't exactly an ironclad statement. There have been a notable number of fighters appear in the UFC after White said that about them.

There was talk of him possibly retiring after this fight anyway, so not a huge deal. 

And despite defeating and dominating the sport's biggest name, he'd never be a huge star himself, IMO, based on his un-fan-friendly style and broken-English language barrier.  

I'd say there's about a 0.000001% chance Nurmagomedov fights somewhere other than the UFC. I'd also say Dana White saying so-and-so "will never fight in the UFC" isn't exactly an ironclad statement. There have been a notable number of fighters appear in the UFC after White said that about them.
All of whom were present for the attack on Lobov, like I said no innocent bystanders were involved.

As for fighting elsewhere, he still under contract.  He could fight, but UFC could and would sue for damages if that happened.

I agree.  Dana "didn't know" if Conor would ever fight again after the bus incident.  I'm betting this just becomes noise for the rematch.

There were fighters on the bus who had nothing to do with this mess. I don't think Borg, Herrig, Rose, Kowalkiewicz, or Chiesa were involved with the confrontation on Lobov.
I thought most of his entourage was there when he attacked Lobov, but I stand corrected.

All of whom were present for the attack on Lobov, like I said no innocent bystanders were involved.
I'm talking about Michael Chiesa, Ray Borg, Rose Namajunas, and the other UFC fighters on the bus. Please research the incident.

All these guys are full of it. Khabib will fight when offered 25+ million again for Connor rematch (with cut of PPV i think Khabib might have made that from weekend fight) whether his brother is allowed to fight in UFC or not.  In the end Dana will probably let the brother back in anyway.

Dana acted like it was the worst thing ever right after the fight.  The day after on TMZ he was laughing and said he was happy once he saw the PPV numbers roll in.

All the talk is nonsense.  All of them mainly care about the money and won't turn down a huge payout.

There was talk of him possibly retiring after this fight anyway, so not a huge deal. 

And despite defeating and dominating the sport's biggest name, he'd never be a huge star himself, IMO, based on his un-fan-friendly style and broken-English language barrier.  
Really? I love his aggressive ground and pound style and I find his broken English endearing. :shrug:  
As long as he keeps kicking everyone's ###, he'll be a big enough star.

Really? I love his aggressive ground and pound style and I find his broken English endearing. :shrug:  
As long as he keeps kicking everyone's ###, he'll be a big enough star.
You might, but that stuff isn't mainstream and culturally people in the USA are not going to want to root for a Russian Muslim.

It is hard not to love Nate even when the universal translator is broken

=========================

Nathan Diaz‏Verified account @NateDiaz209

@danawhite please let kabobs ####### friend stay in @ufc Fire me it will be bettter this way. I think it’s more fair that way ...

It is hard not to love Nate even when the universal translator is broken

=========================

Nathan Diaz‏Verified account @NateDiaz209

@danawhite please let kabobs ####### friend stay in @ufc Fire me it will be bettter this way. I think it’s more fair that way ...
We need to get Nate Diaz as a guest on the reboot of the Doctor Gunks show

All the talk is nonsense.  All of them mainly care about the money and won't turn down a huge payout.
I think this is where there's a pretty big cultural disconnect betw White/McGregor and Nurmagomedov. McTappy even said in the ring that it was "just business", whereas it's clearly pretty Serious Business(tm) for Khabib. Also pretty sure that Denis calling KN a "muslim ####" during the fight wasn't in service of selling the fight that was already happening.

You might, but that stuff isn't mainstream and culturally people in the USA are not going to want to root for a Russian Muslim.
MMA is global. There are 130 million Russians and 1.8 billion Muslims. Khabib's popularity will be fine, especially if he never loses. 

Here's an interesting angle/slo-mo of Khabib's shot (the second one) that dropped Conor. You can see McGregor starting to square up to stop the take-down, as he sees Khabib duck his head. He's not set at all when he gets hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsSK4WEfGkM
Not to bring fight talk into this soap opera thread but Conor's takedown defense is very unique and predicated on him posting with his lead hand to gauge his opponent's momentum/level.

Major major props to Khabib and his team for exploiting it and easily.

He outclassed Conor. Though I don't think any MMA fan should be shocked of the outcome. Khabib is something else.

EYLive said:
MMA is global. There are 130 million Russians and 1.8 billion Muslims. Khabib's popularity will be fine, especially if he never loses. 
And they're both broken up into a bunch of sects that hate each other.  And while each group has some super rich, I think they're generally pretty poor and don't buy a lot of PPVs.  GSP was a star for awhile though, so maybe. 

And they're both broken up into a bunch of sects that hate each other.  And while each group has some super rich, I think they're generally pretty poor and don't buy a lot of PPVs.  GSP was a star for awhile though, so maybe. 
PPV for $60 in Country A doesn't always mean PPV for $60 in Country B, or PPV at all.

Outside of North America, there aren't a lot of PPVs.

Because they are usually carried on subscription TV, like an HBO type.

Khabib is a huge star. Zero doubt about it. Will he ever get mainstream media here in America? Doubtful. But name anyone outside Conor, Rousey and Jon Jones that has come close in the last 5 years.

Khabib is a huge star. Zero doubt about it. Will he ever get mainstream media here in America? Doubtful. But name anyone outside Conor, Rousey and Jon Jones that has come close in the last 5 years.
I am not even sure Jones made it to the level.  Lesner was closer to mainstream (via WWE), than Jones ever got IMO.

Not to bring fight talk into this soap opera thread but Conor's takedown defense is very unique and predicated on him posting with his lead hand to gauge his opponent's momentum/level.

Major major props to Khabib and his team for exploiting it and easily.

He outclassed Conor. Though I don't think any MMA fan should be shocked of the outcome. Khabib is something else.
What is posting? Is that what he does where he is trying to grab at his opponents lead hand?

Users who are viewing this thread