What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (9 Viewers)

I'm definitely not a Conner nut hugger, but the one knock against him was the UFC giving him gift opponents in his career. Was looking at DC's resume getting to title shots, and he has been given a lot of gifts from the UFC. From age old Anderson Silva on a few weeks notice, to Dan Henderson trying to retire a few times, to straight out of the coffee shop Jim Cummins to get his first title shot. 

He certainly has earned his too, with literally taking Anthony Johnson's soul, but it caught me off guard with a lot of his fight match-ups. He will obliterate Lewis unfortunately and it really can't be a better match-up for DC with Lewis fighting a month ago. I was watching the latest embedded and DC was talking how he is best PPV with his 2 titles, and it really feels like he is telling us this stuff so much with the intention of saying something so much everyone starts to believe it.

Personally i think his strikeforce run was more impressive. Maybe that is because he tried fighting in 2 weight classes, just looking at the resume i was a bit surprised:

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Daniel-Cormier-52311

ETA: do need to watch the Stipe fight again, not sure what happened there. After taking shots from Overeem and Hunt, etc, it is surprising the shots from DC got him

Last edited by a moderator:
That fight should have never been booked.   What was the final line? -1000 DC?
Just a ridiculous booking.  I'm sure Lewis got paid $$ to do it, but man, the last time we saw him he was doing a post fight in his me-undies to cool off his balls and telling us how bad his cardio was

Just a ridiculous booking.  I'm sure Lewis got paid $$ to do it, but man, the last time we saw him he was doing a post fight in his me-undies to cool off his balls and telling us how bad his cardio was
He only won that fight because his opponent thought he hurt him badly (like the orbital) and laid off him big time.  Yeah it was an exciting 3rd rnd KO and memorable post fight interview, but his opponent laid off big time because he was grabbing at his face everytime he got punched in the grill. How he got a title fight after that performance and with such short notice is just stupid.   

Better get out the game quick before circumstances put him up against Mr. Bones Jones again and he gets reminded where he really stands on the totem pole (not the top). 
they are running out of the Anderson Silva on 2 weeks notice and Patrick Cummings match-ups for him. It is funny how he calls himself such a competitor, yet we all know he is running from Jones again. They are trying to spin the story for DC too since he obviously will be doing commentary or something for UFC post fighting.

my question is where is Stipe? did he just retire after that loss, or quit?

ETA: really silly of the UFC too. So if DC really does retire next year, they basically just took one of their most marketable HWYs and threw all of his momentum away. Very short-sighted

Yeah, seems like he deserves a rematch for the title.  The company loves DC for some reason though.  
He's undefeated as a heavyweight. He also hasn't lost at light heavyweight against anyone not cheating with drugs. They're milking him for all he's worth. These owners are doing everything possible to make their money back ASAP.

Rogan was talking about this last night, and I got thinking and I am coming up with nothing.

Who/when was the last Americana submission in the UFC (or any major org) ?

He's undefeated as a heavyweight. He also hasn't lost at light heavyweight against anyone not cheating with drugs. They're milking him for all he's worth. These owners are doing everything possible to make their money back ASAP.
he beat Gustafson at LHW which was impressive, but outside of that he fought a mentally broken Anthony Johnson, a ready to retire Dan Henderson. Patrick Cummings on a few weeks notice, and Anderson Silva on 2 weeks notice (a way past his prime Anderson). 

At HWY, he did ok, but nothing really that impressive. here is his fights in the UFC:

WINDerrick LewisUFC 230 - Cormier vs. Lewis
Nov / 03 / 2018Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
Herb Dean22:14

WINStipe MiocicUFC 226 - Miocic vs. Cormier
Jul / 07 / 2018KO (Punches)
Marc Goddard14:33

WINVolkan OezdemirUFC 220 - Miocic vs. Ngannou
Jan / 20 / 2018TKO (Punches)
Kevin MacDonald22:00

NCJon JonesUFC 214 - Cormier vs. Jones 2
Jul / 29 / 2017NC (Overturned by CSAC)
John McCarthy33:01

WINAnthony JohnsonUFC 210 - Cormier vs. Johnson 2
Apr / 08 / 2017Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
John McCarthy23:37

WINAnderson SilvaUFC 200 - Tate vs. Nunes
Jul / 09 / 2016Decision (Unanimous)
John McCarthy35:00

WINAlexander GustafssonUFC 192 - Cormier vs. Gustafsson
Oct / 03 / 2015Decision (Split)
Herb Dean55:00

WINAnthony JohnsonUFC 187 - Johnson vs. Cormier
May / 23 / 2015Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
John McCarthy32:39

LOSSJon JonesUFC 182 - Jones vs. Cormier
Jan / 03 / 2015Decision (Unanimous)
Herb Dean55:00

WINDan HendersonUFC 173 - Barao vs. Dillashaw
May / 24 / 2014Technical Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
Yves Lavigne33:53

WINPatrick CumminsUFC 170 - Rousey vs. McMann
Feb / 22 / 2014TKO (Punches)
Mario Yamasaki11:19

WINRoy NelsonUFC 166 - Velasquez vs. Dos Santos 3
Oct / 19 / 2013Decision (Unanimous)
Jacob Montalvo35:00

ehh, sorry hard to read, but when looking really is not impressive outside of the Gustafson fight and the Stipe fights. I still think his fights in Strikeforce were more impressive. Hardly relevant for any kind of GOAT talk or anything like that. 

WINFrank MirUFC on Fox 7 - Henderson vs. Melendez
Apr / 20 / 2013Decision (Unanimous)
Herb Dean

So who's the greatest heavyweight of all time then? Maybe Fedor? Who's list of career wins in that division is more impressive? And who was the one that mentally broke Rumble? 
You may not like DC for whatever reason, but he defended the title in 2 weight classes and is undefeated in his career against USADA compliant opponents.

So who's the greatest heavyweight of all time then? Maybe Fedor? Who's list of career wins in that division is more impressive? And who was the one that mentally broke Rumble? 
You may not like DC for whatever reason, but he defended the title in 2 weight classes and is undefeated in his career against USADA compliant opponents.
i think discussing DC in the LHW division is a bit of a joke. He didn't really do much there at all, and should have stayed at HWY the whole time. If he did that, would have probably built enough of a resume to have him be considered the greatest HWY of all time. Considering he has defended once against probably the easiest match-up for him, i don't think he should get any credit for it. 

Stipe went through a bit of a murderer's row to maintain that belt for a long time. not sure he is greatest HWY of all time, but i would put him there over DC. LIke i said, DC was more impressive in Strikeforce, but looking over his UFC career i think going between both weight classes did a significant hinderance to his legacy. hasn't accomplished much in HWY cause hasn't been there long enough, and LHW is really not much outside of that split decision win over Gustafason. 

ETA: outside of UFC though, i think you have to give it to Fedor. i forget what the record Stipe broke was, but wasn't it something like defending the belt more than 2 times?

With just a few months left in his career, I'm among those that believe that despite all of his accomplishments, DC will be among the most underappreciated fighters ever. If his resume doesn't impress you, there's no discussion to be had. How can being a double-champ be a hindrance to his legacy? He could have taken all of Cain's shine, but chose to defer heavyweight to his teammate and dominate a different division. It's ridiculous to sit there and say "he doesn't deserve credit for a win", that's not even an intelligent response. I declare myself the winner of this debate on that statement alone.

Users who are viewing this thread