What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (7 Viewers)

Ariel, nobody but you and DC ever thought Cain may be the greatest HWY ever. 

and his knee may have buckled, but if i remember correctly he also did the whole "grab the ref after being KO'd" in a single leg. 

Lentz - Holtzman was an awesome fight.

Thought Barberena was going to pull it off, that guy could take a bat to the skull and still be standing.

The main event was awful, wasn’t even a punch, terrible. I love Cain, but it’s time to hang it up.

I have a little too much WWE in me but damn, give me Gracie vs Ryan Hall with a stipulation that neither can go to the ground :)   It would be like watching ducks out of water.
That would suck almost as much as Ngannou and Derrick Lewis not being allowed to punch.

I thought Aljamain Sterling looked great tonight. Best performance of the night.

Cain Velasquez makes me sad. Dude has like a  minute of cage time in main event fights where the UFC is debuting on a network.

And Renan Barao is completely shot.

i feel bad for fighters at times, but you have to just admit defeat instead of b.s.'ing excuses. I can understand Cormier saying whatever he can to help Cain as well, but I mean there has to be a point where your teammates tell you it is best to not discuss because you legit loss. Cain saying he wasn't even touched and it was all because of his knee is just silly sand hopefully stops soon.

you don't go for a single leg on a ref if your knee just buckles:   https://mmajunkie.com/gallery/francis-ngannou-def-cain-velasquez-at-ufc-on-espn-1-best-photos

Like to see Stipe & Ngannou one more time, depending on when Cormier is ready to fight. I have less than zero interest in anything Brock Lesnar related. He can go fight Andrei Arlovski for all I care. I get the sense with Cormier almost ready to hang it up, he'll want the Lesnar payday though, unfortunately. 

If Cormier is ready to go and his back injury is no big deal, let him take on Ngannou now. Regardless of that outcome, I do want him to get one more crack at Jon Jones. A rematch between Stipe & Ngannou is also something I'd like to see if they force feed us a Lesnar Cormier match. 

Kron Gracie... if the UFC is smart and they protect him a bit, he'll be the champ in no time.
Lets pump the brakes on this just a bit.    I agree that it was how quickly/seemingly effortlessly he wrecked Caceres, but Bruce Leroy is 4-7 in the last 5 years.  

If they were feeling really optimistic, Put Kron in there with a Cub Swanson / Korean Zombie level guy next and lets see how that goes.    But if I were Kron and team, I'd take a couple more top15 gatekeeper fights before then though.  

Aljamain Sterling looked great tonight. 
Seems like that guy has just run into the wrong opponents at the wrong time.   

Setting the Bryan Caraway loss aside (everyone gets a mulligan? :shrug:  ) Sterling's only 2 losses are to guys who just fought in what was essentially the 135# title eliminator fight.    you almost have to give Sterling the winner of the upcoming Garbrandt / Munhoz fight, imo.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Cormier fights Lesnar and hangs it up. 

He shouldn't risk losing to Jones a 3rd time. 

The UFC deserves a lot of credit for their cards, btw. Both Bellator cards this weekend were trash compared to UFC prelims. 

The UFC deserves a lot of credit for their cards, btw. Both Bellator cards this weekend were trash compared to UFC prelims. 
i have to think it is a very hard call for him (Cormier). Fighting is such an unforgiving occupation. he has been so close to the top of the mountain, but if he retires he has to go the rest of his life knowing he couldn't beat Jones. if i were him, seeing how the last fight he looked much better than their 1st one, I think i would give it one more go at HWY. you have the excuse of age and all of that if you lose too, but you go out at least knowing you gave it one more go.

ETA: in particular, he knows the Lesnar fight is pretty much b.s. hard to go out and tout a great career with wins like that. i mean, what is DC's signature win? i guess it has to be his win over Stipe which is certainly a big accomplishment. but outside of that, i would say his Strikeforce wins were more impressive. maybe it is just bad luck when he was fighting and the competition not being as sharp. but looking at his resume, it is hard to see one's that stick out. Stipe definitely does though. shame he is so close to the end of his career, a rematch win over Stipe would definitely cement his career more. :

UFC 230 - Cormier vs. Lewis
Nov / 03 / 2018Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
Herb Dean22:14

UFC 226 - Miocic vs. Cormier
Jul / 07 / 2018KO (Punches)
Marc Goddard14:33

UFC 220 - Miocic vs. Ngannou
Jan / 20 / 2018TKO (Punches)
Kevin MacDonald22:00

UFC 214 - Cormier vs. Jones 2
Jul / 29 / 2017NC (Overturned by CSAC)
John McCarthy33:01

UFC 210 - Cormier vs. Johnson 2
Apr / 08 / 2017Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
John McCarthy23:37

UFC 200 - Tate vs. Nunes
Jul / 09 / 2016Decision (Unanimous)
John McCarthy35:00

UFC 192 - Cormier vs. Gustafsson
Oct / 03 / 2015Decision (Split)
Herb Dean55:00

UFC 187 - Johnson vs. Cormier
May / 23 / 2015Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
John McCarthy32:39

UFC 182 - Jones vs. Cormier
Jan / 03 / 2015Decision (Unanimous)
Herb Dean55:00

UFC 173 - Barao vs. Dillashaw
May / 24 / 2014Technical Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
Yves Lavigne33:53

UFC 170 - Rousey vs. McMann
Feb / 22 / 2014TKO (Punches)
Mario Yamasaki11:19

UFC 166 - Velasquez vs. Dos Santos 3
Oct / 19 / 2013Decision (Unanimous)
Jacob Montalvo35:00

UFC on Fox 7 - Henderson vs. Melendez
Apr / 20 / 2013Decision (Unanimous)
Herb Dean35:00

Strikeforce - Marquardt vs. Saffiedine
Jan / 12 / 2013TKO (Punches)
John McCarthy24:02

Strikeforce - Barnett vs. Cormier
May / 19 / 2012Decision (Unanimous)
Josh Rosenthal55:00

Strikeforce - Barnett vs. Kharitonov
Sep / 10 / 2011KO (Punches)
Greg Franklin13:56

Strikeforce - Overeem vs. Werdum
Jun / 18 / 2011Decision (Unanimous)
Leon Roberts35:00

WINDevin ColeStrikeforce - Challengers 13
Jan / 07 / 2011Decision (Unanimous)
Greg Franklin35:00

WINSoa PaleleiXMMA - Xtreme MMA 3
Nov / 05 / 2010TKO (Submission to Punches)
N/A10:00

WINJason RileyStrikeforce - Houston
Aug / 21 / 2010TKO (Submission to Punches)
Kerry Hatley11:02

WINTony JohnsonKOTC - Imminent Danger
Aug / 13 / 2010Submission (Rear-Naked Choke)
Cecil Peoples12:27

WINLucas BrowneXMMA 2 - ANZ vs. USA
Jul / 31 / 2010TKO (Punches)
Kostas Papaioannou14:35

WINJohn DevineStrikeforce - Challengers 7
Mar / 26 / 2010KO (Punch)
N/A11:09

WINGary FrazierStrikeforce - Challengers 3
Sep / 25 / 2009TKO (Punches)

Read more at https://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Daniel-Cormier-52311#57Vw0L5Hie31hH2v.99

MMA retirements don't mean a whole lot these days. For enough money he'll be back.
unfortunately i don't think so. GSP is a different breed. Sports is losing one of the best ever. would love to see him stick around coaching or cornering, but he just seems to not be into it like he was

man, it is crazy how much the UFC neglects promoting their events now. been like this for over a year. maybe they just promote where i don't see or something, but this upcoming Prague event is an almost ideal card to promote.

The main event is pootentially one of the most explosive with 2 prospects who may really grow into something. Thiago Santos could be top 3 most exciting fighter on their current roster. Blachowicz has improved significantly and if Jones goes to HWY i could see him with the belt. and yet, i have barely heard a peep about this event and its in 3 days

Yep. 

First step was when he couldn’t finish anyone anymore. Second was when he “beat” Johnny Hendricks.
ehh, guy would strategize and go after every contenders strength, utterly dominating all.

i get the "Just Bleed" crowd wasn't entertained all the time, but looking at it as a strategic sporting event there wasn't many more totally dominating.

man, it is crazy how much the UFC neglects promoting their events now. been like this for over a year. maybe they just promote where i don't see or something, but this upcoming Prague event is an almost ideal card to promote.

The main event is pootentially one of the most explosive with 2 prospects who may really grow into something. Thiago Santos could be top 3 most exciting fighter on their current roster. Blachowicz has improved significantly and if Jones goes to HWY i could see him with the belt. and yet, i have barely heard a peep about this event and its in 3 days
They have UFC 235 which is stacked and I have already seen promotions for that. Unfortunately when you put on 9 shows in 10 weekends or whatever, you have to pick and choose your spots. 

This weekend's card is pretty good though and it's on Saturday afternoon. Let's go!

They have UFC 235 which is stacked and I have already seen promotions for that. Unfortunately when you put on 9 shows in 10 weekends or whatever, you have to pick and choose your spots. 

This weekend's card is pretty good though and it's on Saturday afternoon. Let's go!
got 1 bets in so far, Blachowicz -110.

i agree with the guys from the Heavy Hands podcast that i don't want either guy to lose in the main event. Santos is great for the sport, but i don't know that his pure chaos will keep up with him in the upper echelon of the weight class

ehh, guy would strategize and go after every contenders strength, utterly dominating all.

i get the "Just Bleed" crowd wasn't entertained all the time, but looking at it as a strategic sporting event there wasn't many more totally dominating.
I agree he was dominant and virtually unbeatable. I just give extra points for guys who finish. 

Espn had top 10’s airing late night and it was fun to watch the GSP Serra segment (#1 upset of course). Haven’t thought about that in a while. So crazy. 

Bobcat10 said:
I thought if GSP wanted Khabib or retirement, and Khabib wasn’t coming to the table? I could be totally backwards. 
Both GSP and Khabib wanted the fight. UFC wouldn't make it happen so GSP made decision to retire. I believe it's alluded to in one or more of GSP's tweets or IG from yesterday.

I don't think fighters think this way.  No shame in losing to Jones 3 times and much props for measuring yourself against the best.  A win doesn't do much for Daniel.  He still is 1-2.  Win or lose people will say Jones is better.

I don't think fighters think this way.  No shame in losing to Jones 3 times and much props for measuring yourself against the best.  A win doesn't do much for Daniel.  He still is 1-2.  Win or lose people will say Jones is better.
But DC can always fall back on Jones “cheating” in the first two. If he beats him now he can claim he would have beaten him the other 2 times too if he was clean.

My take on the latest news,

-GSP retiring. - his name alone can sell a ppv like Brock Lesner.  As long as the UFC is in the money making business I'm not counting out his return.

-Dustin Porier vs Holloway - it sounds like Tony turned down another chance to win an interim belt over Max.  I can understand him wanting to wait for Khabib, but the Fall is a long time from now.  It really gets interesting after this fight.  Does the winner defend the interim belt in the Summer?  Does Tony get first shot, or would they be interested in a CM rematch?  Or do they wait for Khabib for a belt unification?  My guess is whatever Conor wants 

Man, I don't agree at all. A win over Jones would mean the world to Cormier and his legacy (for whatever that's worth). I'm not sure what you mean about fighters not thinking like that, 'cause Cormier himself regularly downplays those two losses based on Jones popping. 

My take on the latest news,

-GSP retiring. - his name alone can sell a ppv like Brock Lesner.  As long as the UFC is in the money making business I'm not counting out his return.

-Dustin Porier vs Holloway - it sounds like Tony turned down another chance to win an interim belt over Max.  I can understand him wanting to wait for Khabib, but the Fall is a long time from now.  It really gets interesting after this fight.  Does the winner defend the interim belt in the Summer?  Does Tony get first shot, or would they be interested in a CM rematch?  Or do they wait for Khabib for a belt unification?  My guess is whatever Conor wants 
Agree 100% with Tony passing it up. One because he already won the interim belt....makes no sense to accept another "interim title fight" because it's already known to mean nothing. Well past the point of him having to fight for anything interim. Secondly, it shouldn't be an interim title fight with Khabib not likely to fight again for > year from his last fight. And the UFC actually has a reason to strip him. Go figure.

Bobcat10 said:
I thought if GSP wanted Khabib or retirement, and Khabib wasn’t coming to the table? I could be totally backwards. 

Both GSP and Khabib wanted the fight. UFC wouldn't make it happen so GSP made decision to retire. I believe it's alluded to in one or more of GSP's tweets or IG from yesterday.
I thought it was because Khabib is suspended too long. GSP didn't want to wait that out. 

Users who are viewing this thread