What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (7 Viewers)

I thought Ben looked good, but that 3+ round grappling game isn't going to work on Maia.  Just like I thought, eventually Maia is going to catch him with something once fatigue set in.
Ben is an all time great wrestler, but he is past his prime and not nearly athletic enough to hang with the top in UFC.

Ben is an all time great wrestler, but he is past his prime and not nearly athletic enough to hang with the top in UFC.
I wouldn't be so quick to write him off.  I think he was winning the fight up until the choke.  We didn't  get to see anything vs Masvidal and he was problem for Lawler after the head slam.  Despite looking like an idiot for yapping his mouth, he's actually still in a great position to make money as a fighter.  He is still a huge draw, but he's never going to be a champion.  He's about on the Mike Perry level.  A name people are going to recognize and tune in for that ESPN would love to have on cards.  That was a fun fight to watch imo, I was entertained.  It was great when they were rolling around changing position.  

UFC has made these guys self promote, and 90% of the time it seems like that means being a jerk or giant d bag on social media.  And it works.  Askren still gets a nice check to lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
EYLive said:
I thought Maia outstruck him by a slim margin in each round. Even when in went to the ground, Maia was threatening with submissions, and got a bunch of sweeps.
Ben had a few nice uppercuts but I agree I think Maia did land more strikes.  Ben is kind of like Gathje from that standpoint, that you know he's gonna eat shots trying to close the distance.  Despite Maia always being able to escape, I think they score takedowns pretty significantly.  Ben did great taking him down, the one slam was pretty awesome.  He even had him pinned for a second and was delivering shots to Maias head.   Both of these guys were great at rolling the right way, controlling wrist, and grappling.   Great grappling fight and I enjoy the debates about better styles.

Imo, wrestling > bjj rounds 1&2

Bjj>wrestling rounds 3,4,5.

Look at Chael vs Silva.  They can dominate, but it only takes one mistake to lose.  Hopefully, Khabib vs Tony happens sooner than later so we can see another two high level grapplers go at it.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
UFC has made these guys self promote, and 90% of the time it seems like that means being a jerk or giant d bag on social media.  And it works.  Askren still gets a nice check to lose.
From a martial artist mentality, I’m not into the whole WWE/WWF promotion style. Prefer the original UFC respect for the ring and opponent style.

Hoping ONE Championship can expand to rival the UFC. Liked ONE Vice President and former UFC Champ Meisha Tate’s take on the subject recently:

“I love working for a value-based company. And to be honest, I sit back and I think about this, that if I wanted to have my own organization for martial arts, this is how I would want it to be,” Tate told MMA Fighting. “I would want it to inspire people to be the best versions of themselves, about creating local heroes, we don’t call our athletes fighters because they’re more than that. They’re professional athletes. And really, to so many people, they honestly are heroes. They’re iconic. They are what parents want their children to look up to and to strive to be like because they’re really great people.

“And we highlight those stories. It’s not about controversy, it’s not about trash talk or rivalries. It’s really about being the best athlete you can be and inspiring people to dream more and do more and be more in life. I think that’s just a really beautiful process, so I think for me being a part of something like that, I just feel like I’m able to do more good and give back in a more positive light.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/10/24/20930416/miesha-tate-one-championship-wont-change-philosophy-for-u-s-expansion-trash-talk-not-sustainable

From a martial artist mentality, I’m not into the whole WWE/WWF promotion style. Prefer the original UFC respect for the ring and opponent style.

Hoping ONE Championship can expand to rival the UFC. Liked ONE Vice President and former UFC Champ Meisha Tate’s take on the subject recently:

“I love working for a value-based company. And to be honest, I sit back and I think about this, that if I wanted to have my own organization for martial arts, this is how I would want it to be,” Tate told MMA Fighting. “I would want it to inspire people to be the best versions of themselves, about creating local heroes, we don’t call our athletes fighters because they’re more than that. They’re professional athletes. And really, to so many people, they honestly are heroes. They’re iconic. They are what parents want their children to look up to and to strive to be like because they’re really great people.

“And we highlight those stories. It’s not about controversy, it’s not about trash talk or rivalries. It’s really about being the best athlete you can be and inspiring people to dream more and do more and be more in life. I think that’s just a really beautiful process, so I think for me being a part of something like that, I just feel like I’m able to do more good and give back in a more positive light.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/10/24/20930416/miesha-tate-one-championship-wont-change-philosophy-for-u-s-expansion-trash-talk-not-sustainable
The UFC plays a big part of it but I think with today's social media world controversy gets clicks.  Even your weatherman has a Twitter these days. 

WAR Diaz but Masvidal's coaching is on a whole nother level, which is saying a lot.

Masvidal -135

Masvidal Round 1 +700

Since this is a Derby thread I’ll comment on that first. Pretty much guarantee that the Derby winner won’t come out of the Juvenile. Horrible race. 

I ended up for the day after a 11-6-10 tri in the mile turf got me back about 2G’s for $11. 

So bummed that they appeared to be home free from injuries only to have the 9 break down in the Classic. Santa Anita and horse racing in general needed to get through these 2 days unscathed. They didn’t. 

Users who are viewing this thread