What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFC wagering: breaking news - judging is so terrible it got me to return here to update this thread title (2 Viewers)

I thought it could've been 4-1.   Rounds 2 and 3 were so close.   I don't know how Joe and Dom thinks its that crazy that it was judged that way.

MMA judges are weird. I don't know why it still surprises me after watching all of these years, but one thing seems to always hold true: If it's close, the champ is going to win. The only way challengers win is conclusive decisions or T/KOs.

Hindsight, but when he buckled Jones legs to start the third, he probably should have just let it all go. He might have got scorched, but that was his opening. 
Forgot if it was the 2nd or 3rd where he threw a lot of punches in a row and had Jones on the run, but he didn't land any clean shots.       

Reyes won the first two rounds by any measure. 3 was close. 
I'd have to run it back, but I don't remember 2 being definitive.  I know Reyes landed more, but few landed cleanly and none seemed to do any significant damage.   On the other hand, Jones clearly controlled the octagon which is considered.

Just rewatched rounds 2 and 3.   I personally gave the 2nd to Reyes and the 3rd to Jones but I don't see the controversy giving each to Jones.     Both rounds are almost identical in terms of the action.  Reyes landed more shots but none of them phased Jones in the slightest and just like the other 3 rounds, Jones clearly controlled the octagon which is a factor in scoring.  Reyes had the one flurry at around the 1 minute mark of the 2nd where he threw a lot of punches and had Jones on the run, but few of them landed and none appeared to hurt Jones. I was actually the most impressed with Reyes takedown defense in round 3 where Jones had a deep shot; not sure how the judges score that.   The controversy with the one judge scoring it 49-46 doesn't make sense to me since if you gave one round to Jones, there's some sense to why you'd give him the other since both rounds played out very similarly.  

Big JBJ fan here and I was calling for "...and NEW!".  

He may have not hurt Jones with any of his flurries, but I don't recall Jones hurting him at any point either.   

Reyes outlanded him rds 1-3.   I don't think Jonse's pressure should have won him any of those rnds.  

cockroach said:
Big JBJ fan here and I was calling for "...and NEW!".  

He may have not hurt Jones with any of his flurries, but I don't recall Jones hurting him at any point either.   

Reyes outlanded him rds 1-3.   I don't think Jonse's pressure should have won him any of those rnds.  
I guess thats the big unknown for me; how much does octagon control factor into the scoring.  If it wasnt a significant component, it wouldnt be mentioned in how rounds are scored.  

I know it's unicorn hunting as different states and commissions have different sets of judges / etc -- but I'd just like somehow for some consistency.  It's super frustrating trying to be a fan when you know what you see but not how it will be applied / scored.

But all the arguments that say Jones won this fight didn't seem to matter at all or apply when Carlos Condit ran away from Nick Diaz for 3 rounds.    Pretty much the same thing from what I recall (it has been a few year) but an aggressive striker walks down a good technical counter-striker who's more focused on movement that moving forward.  

I think I agree with Eddie Alvarez when he tweeted that ex-fighters should be judges.  
The fighters and ex-fighters i have seen are favoring Reyes about 2-1.

Online writers who cover mma exclusively are favoring Jones, barely.

The official score cards were... interesting. The scored it for Jones:

9, 10, 10, 10, 10 (the obvious idiot all night)

9, 10, 9, 10, 10

9, 9, 10, 10, 10

Semi trusting the bottom two, I have no argument with Jones winning a very close decision. But on re-watching, I would score it for Reyes, 10,10,10,9,9.

The fighters and ex-fighters i have seen are favoring Reyes about 2-1.

Online writers who cover mma exclusively are favoring Jones, barely.

The official score cards were... interesting. The scored it for Jones:

9, 10, 10, 10, 10 (the obvious idiot all night)

9, 10, 9, 10, 10

9, 9, 10, 10, 10

Semi trusting the bottom two, I have no argument with Jones winning a very close decision. But on re-watching, I would score it for Reyes, 10,10,10,9,9.

If you "semi trust" the bottom 2, then you are saying you can see how Jones could have won rd 2 or rd 3.  So what makes it so outrageous that a judge gave both to Jones?

There needs to be something a little more concrete that the fans can at least point to.  For example, how much does being the aggressor matter?  How much do those little leg kicks count?  Same as a punch to the face?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kansas is going to experiment with real time scoring in which the crowd and both corners know the score after every round. Promoters will not have to use it and it is optional. Do you like this idea? What are the pros and cons in your opinion?

Ankalaev / Cutelaba - I’ll have to watch again real time but that seemed like one of the worst stoppages I’ve ever seen. Cutelaba may have even been playing possum. Ref was McDonald...who are some of these guys?.

Ankalaev / Cutelaba - I’ll have to watch again real time but that seemed like one of the worst stoppages I’ve ever seen. Cutelaba may have even been playing possum. Ref was McDonald...who are some of these guys?.
Watching it in real-time, I thought he was rocked and wobbly.  But once the ref stepped in to stop it, he was on point and could not believe it.  I actually thought he was going to KO the referee.

Upon the immediate replay that they showed, he blocked every kick to his head with his arms, looked to be fake wobbling to draw him in, and then threw a few few haymakers that missed, before the ref jumped in.

Horrible, horrible stoppage and I cannot recall seeing one worse without a single punch or kick actually landing.

What the hell happened to Vieira's eye?  He got hit with a front leg kick and his eye closed completely shut.   Btw, austin hubbard fought the next fight.   Google austin hubbard compartment symdrone if you want to see something really freaky. 

Users who are viewing this thread